What do we still need? Aka The never ending story

Rauður Djöfull

A summer of Tchouaméni / Darwin Nunez / Nkunku please.

Than bring back Garner and Laird.

Wouldn't be a half bad first window for ETH
Of course more is needed but it can't all be done in one window

And obviously this won't happen but one can dream

Jezpeza

A summer of Tchouaméni / Darwin Nunez / Nkunku please.

Than bring back Garner and Laird.

Wouldn't be a half bad first window for ETH
Of course more is needed but it can't all be done in one window

And obviously this won't happen but one can dream
they are the sorts of players we dont ever sign but really need to. We have lots out of contract and if we were clever could boost the kitty by selling the likes of martial, henderson, dalot, bailly. They are saleable but dont really impact our first 11.

It remains to be seen how extreme this reset goes but i would love to see the squad gutted and a focus being made on a strong first 11 and a second 11 made up of mainly kids. Does it really matter if our kids get knocked out of the league cup by west ham reserves rather than an 11 made up of shit like dalot, telles, matic, mata etc like this season? We kid ourselves about the ability of some of our senior players.

we will be totally man Utd though and spend 120m on Rice or Kane even though we need to fill about 5 positions

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I doubt ETH would move job if his war chest was to be smaller at United.
I doubt it’s true, probably someone spreading a rumour to put ETH off

even IF it were true, all he has to do is qualify the following season and his budget will be bigger than he’s ever had

MrSingh2002

De Gea
Dalot Timber Varane Telles
Neves Tchouameni
Antony Fernandes Sancho
Nunez

With only 5 signings we could have that lineup starting next season.

Is it really that hard to get Varane a partner like Timber or Akanji?

Or signing young talented players who have a chance of playing a huge part in a resurgence at United under Ten Hag? I think with the Rangnik and Ten Hag additions we might be a more attractive project to be a part of over the new few years now.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
cavani as well
Definitely.

Stephen Howson is someone I haven't really watched but yesterday I saw a clip where he was talking about this being our tactic so that we can present these players as assets on the books. Not sure if it's true but it's depressing to hear.

AdNani

Definitely.

Stephen Howson is someone I haven't really watched but yesterday I saw a clip where he was talking about this being our tactic so that we can present these players as assets on the books. Not sure if it's true but it's depressing to hear.
nothing would surprise you would it?

Clearing out free agents, most of whom don't/haven't been playing will be huge. Antony/Nkunku/Timber/Phillips all would probably command half of what Cavani and 3/4 times less than pogba and Ronaldo, and if we sign any of those players, there would be a jump in quality, certainly no drop

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
nothing would surprise you would it?

Clearing out free agents, most of whom don't/haven't been playing will be huge. Antony/Nkunku/Timber/Phillips all would probably command half of what Cavani and 3/4 times less than pogba and Ronaldo, and if we sign any of those players, there would be a jump in quality, certainly no drop
But we have a strategy like that we are going to clear out a minimum number of players.

Bearded One

Lamptey
Tchouameni
Raphnia

De Gea
Lamptey Verane Maguire Shaw
Tchouameni Pogba
Sancho Bruno Raphina
Ronaldo​

AdNani

But we have a strategy like that we are going to clear out a minimum number of players.
i don't think that's true, you have 4/5 running out of contract, and 2/3 who want to leave. so whether we would like to clear out a minimum, there's probably going to be 7/8 who leave, the sad thing is that the vast majority wouldn't be any issue at all.

laughtersassassin

If we don't sign two first 11 CMs this summer the season will be over before it's started imo.

That's the most important area.

Our Midfield needs a complete overhaul.
Fred and McT can stay but they must be given two new teamates + Garner to compete with

If either is default in the team again we are fecked.

AndySmith1990

First priority: two CMs and a striker
If we can dig a bit deeper and sign a couple others: RW and RB

laughtersassassin

I really don't see us coming out of this summer and being positive with the team we will be going into next season with.

So much to do and it looks like we will be relying on a lot of bad players next season

Tango80

It's difficult to say what we truly need until the new manager takes charge, and we find out who he likes/doesn't like.

Midfielder, striker and wide man - that's a given as we're just light there. Regarding a second midfielder, I'd expect Garner/VDB to be sloggin it out for that spot. If neither are up to it, then have another look.

Sea-Cow

I watched the highlights of Spurs v Villa the other day and its depressing that I was jealous of the midfield options of the team that got routed 4 nil.

But I would in a heartbeat take the 3 of Douglas Luis, John McGinn and Jacob Ramsey over our 3 regular CM options in Scott McT, Fred, and Matic.** I would I guess take Pogba over them even though he continually disappoints me.

Saying that, what does the CAF think about trying to sign Jacob Ramsey? I admit to not seeing that much of him but what I have seen is very promising. He is only 20, turning 21 in May, but he is extremely quick and can take people on and burst past players with speed and power, and he has a great hit on him with his left foot. I am not sure how he does in other areas like being press resistant or his defensive work, so I can leave that to other experts. But I think we should go after him as it would mainly be fun to spite Gerrard.

**Not including Bruno here as he really only drops deeper if time is running out and we're "chasing" a game.

Sea-Cow

First priority: two CMs and a striker
If we can dig a bit deeper and sign a couple others: RW and RB
Agree with your priorities. Due to budget concerns I could maybe be convinced that we would be ok with signing only one CM, if its a potential great like I hope Tchouameni could be, if we also bring in Hannibal. I think he is good enough to start in a midfield 3. But I think a midfield 3 of even Rice, Hannibal, and Fred could be quality. It might not "challenge City and Pool right away" quality, but I think it still be good and would be a major improvement on where we are currently.

So then it would be 1 CM, preferably defensive minded, 1 proper number 9, and then despite it being ridiculous that this is still an issue, 1 extra attacker who could play off the actual right wing, hopefully someone with pace and effort, and balls mainly; someone who could maybe even shift up front to play as a striker if needed, but also happy to play from the right.

My muppet choices for these 3 areas:
1. CM -- Tchouameni; Rice
2. #9 -- Darwin, I guess. I really don't know as I am not impressed by many of the choices here.
3. RW -- Son from Spurs. Would never happen but god it would rule.

Dve

If both Pogba and Matic leave, we´ll first of all need:

Tchouameni or Neves

Both, unless Garner shows his worth in preseason.

Then:

Lewandowski or Haaland.

The latter does not seem very likely, but maybe Lewandowski.

Then a centre back

Then a right winger. Neither Amad or Pellestri have shown much this season to suggest they are ready for the squad, and Both Sancho and Rashford are more effective on the left.

aeh1991

As an alternative to Nunez (and the unrealistic Haaland, Lewandowski and Kane), has anyone thought about Aleksandar Mitrovic? Sure, he would be a gamble, but he is literally destroying the Championship defenses. And with his agressive playing style, he'd pretty much be suited to ETH's pressing system. He isn't bad technically either. In my opinion, he could be a slightly cheaper alternative to Nunez (probably still cost over 40m).

Highfather_24

We need a minimum of 4 players. Seems like internally at the club CM, DM, CF and RW are the priority. I agree however I wouldnt say no to a CB either.

Kamara
Tchoumeni
Antony
Nkunku
Timber

That would be a brilliant summer. We would bring back the likes of Garner and Laird. Ofcourse we would sell a lot of players like :

Henderson
AWB
Jones
Bailly
Matic
Pogba
McT
Lingard
Andreas
Mata
Cavani
Martial
Williams
Chong

Oof, that list is long.

Highfather_24

DDG/Heaton

Dalot/Laird
Timber/Lindelof
Varane/Maguire
Shaw/Telles

Kamara/Garner
Tchoumeni/Fred
Bruno/VdB

Antony/Elanga
Sancho/Rashford
Nkunku/Ronaldo

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
We need at least 6 signings but think we’ll get about 3. We always spend big and not smart… the cheaper players tend to come better, it’s all about scouting the right players. We need a RB, CB, DM, creative CM RW and ST… I’d say priorities would be CB, DM, RW and ST… I feel like we need a creative cm because pogba will be leaving and that again only leaves Fernandes as the main creative player in the centre. This was a problem we had when we just had pogba before Fernandes signed, everything had to come from him and when he had a bad game (which was most games) there was no creativity.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Why can't Maguire be a part of it? Or Shaw, if he gets back to last season's form? Or rashford, if he finds his confidence again? Or Bruno? Like are you just trying to name unrealistic names just to be annoyed at something later? A good coach looks at the players he has and tries to get the best out of them. Maguire is extremely suited to Ten Hag's football. Guy is lacking confidence. Bruno obviously is somebody you hate yet has been for the most part fantastic since he joined and will be loved by whatever manager comes in. Rashford will get his chance to recover his form, as will Shaw. You don't just cut them before giving them a chance. That's just crazy talk.
:lol: You make some good points, except for that one.

Thiagoal

We have a great opportunity this summer to to really refresh the squad with young and hungry players. Pogba, Cavani, Grant, Ronaldo, Matic, Lingard and Mata I’m pretty sure will be leaving- freeing up well over £1 million a week in wages.

Add to that we have a fair few players that seem to want to leave: Henderson, Bailly, Pereira, Martial, Jones, Tuanzebe and Chong.

That’s 14 players off the books and would open up loads of spots.

I’d personally be happy signing one world class defensive midfielder and one world class striker plus maybe a free transfer or two and then promote from some very talented youth players. Garner, Mejbri, Fernandez, Shola, Garnacho, Laird I think should all have a shot as squad players plus Mainoo getting minutes who I believe will be a first team regular on two or three seasons.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
:lol: You make some good points, except for that one.
His ball playing! A lot of what Maguire needs is some coaching organization and confidence, but Ten Hag will instantly like his on the ball passing ability and believe he can cut out the stupid lapses.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
His ball playing! A lot of what Maguire needs is some coaching organization and confidence, but Ten Hag will instantly like his on the ball passing ability and believe he can cut out the stupid lapses.
Maguire's massive turning circle apart, his ability on the ball is his worst quality. Ajax goalkeepers are better on the ball than Harry.

Dannn411

A rock solid back 6 (anchored by two CBs who are composed and quick enough in recovery to allow us play a more attacking style) is by far the biggest need. Our starting back 6 is on par with the worst in the Premier League.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
What we need, badly, is a clear out of rotten fruit. Players that have been allowed to do what they wanted for far too long and think they are bigger than anyone who comes in.

Pogba
Lingard
Shaw
Rashford

…all need to be sent packing in the summer. They have all had their chance and the only thing they have brought to the table is bad attitude, leaks and a lack of effort (whether that be on the pitch of their physical/mental preparation)

AWB isn’t good enough and should be sold too and Maguire should be stripped of the captaincy and told to knuckle down. He has one season to save his United career. He should be on the fringes in the knowledge he hasn’t been good enough, not in the frontline as a crucial face of the club.

The majority of the squad have been allowed to believe they are better than they are for far too long now. Reality has to bite or this never changes.

These players are an embarrassment to fans that have been so patient and encouraging for so long now. They are a sorry group and it needs to be disbanded before the new manager steps foot on the training ground.

They shouldn’t be allowed to undermine anyone else and that is, by far, the most pressing need at this club right now.

Andersons Dietician

A revamp and like Ralf said young hungry players.

Personally I’d go with something like this. Maybe not these players exactly but along these lines. Std 4-3-3 out of possession but in Possession more of a 3-2-2-3

Out of possession

In Possession

Recall Gardner, Diallo,, Pellestri, promote Hannibal and let’s take the hit for a few seasons to let them all develop and hope they can come good. I’ve heard Greenwood was back in training last week. So not sure what is going to happen there if he remains with the team or not.