What do we still need? Aka The never ending story

RedorDead21

Someone with a spare few billion to rebuild old Trafford. The training complex and the squad. Coupled with all the best in class good people to achieve it. Then about a decade to put it all together. Then see how many league titles city are behind us.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
This isn’t the issue. We could have built 3 title winning teams with the money we’ve spent in the last 10 years. The issue is they haven’t a fecking clue about football and employ people who haven’t a fecking clue about football to make footballing decisions. Hence all the money we have spent has gone down the toilet.
I think we've sunk so low now that the money is no longer there to do what we did previously (under LVG etc). If they couldn't spend big money this summer then they never will.

Of course we could invest what money we do have better, but we will never catch City.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Someone with a spare few billion to rebuild old Trafford. The training complex and the squad. Coupled with all the best in class good people to achieve it. Then about a decade to put it all together. Then see how many league titles city are behind us.
Thing is that sort of person, putting their own money in, wants it spent wisely. As you say they would put the best people in because they would not be wanting to waste their money. The Glazers aren't spending their money so they don't give a flying f***.

RedorDead21

Thing is that sort of person, putting their own money in, wants it spent wisely. As you say they would put the best people in because they would not be wanting to waste their money. The Glazers aren't spending their money so they don't give a flying f***.
we got very poor owners for sure. If we don’t rid ourselves of them like Liverpool did with their American owners hicks and Gillett then yeah maybe we’ll never get back to the top of the tree again in our lifetime.

croadyman

we got very poor owners for sure. If we don’t rid ourselves of them like Liverpool did with their American owners hicks and Gillett then yeah maybe we’ll never get back to the top of the tree again in our lifetime.
Think you are spot on because they have absolutely no ambition for us to succeed

Von Mistelroum

What do we still need seems to be a question that not only never ends, but progressively gets worse.

Based on the new manager's preference for playing style, we need: Striker, Midfielders X2, left winger, right back, possibly new CB and Goalkeeper.

Oh and a completely new scouting department.

Oh and a DoF.

Oh and a huge overhaul to the stadium.

And while you're at it, could we grab new owners too?

croadyman

What do we still need seems to be a question that not only never ends, but progressively gets worse.

Based on the new manager's preference for playing style, we need: Striker, Midfielders X2, left winger, right back, possibly new CB and Goalkeeper.

Oh and a completely new scouting department.

Oh and a DoF.

Oh and a huge overhaul to the stadium.

And while you're at it, could we grab new owners too?
Agree with all apart from left winger

reddevilz007

Bissouma, Palhinha, Vitinho, Nunes, Ruiz, Laimer. All available at the beginning of summer. Any 2 of them for the price of Frenkie would’ve made us a lot better.

Instead, we are chasing ghosts. This club has sunk to incredible depth, soon we’ll be finding ourselves next to the Titanic.

Lux Thunder

Bissouma, Palhinha, Vitinho, Nunes, Ruiz, Laimer. All available at the beginning of summer. Any 2 of them for the price of Frenkie would’ve made us a lot better.

Instead, we are chasing ghosts. This club has sunk to incredible depth, soon we’ll be finding ourselves next to the Titanic.
Completely agree, double pivot of Ruiz and Bissouma would be pretty good IMO.

As things stand, we will bring in some panic option(s) now but for the future windows, we should look after the potential double pivot of Moises Caicedo and Kouadio Kone.

lex talionis

What we really need is for the medical staff to add a heart replacement surgeon. The players have played with no heart in the first two matches.

A brain replacement surgeon too, although I don't think medical technology has advanced that far yet. WTF was Dave "thinking" for those first two goals. Take care of the ball a bit better and suddenly it's a 0-0 match going into the 25th minute or whenever the water break was held.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Knowing United, we could get all of that and still fail to sign a centre midfielder. It's been more than 15 years since we last got a proper one in.

Highfather_24

Nah, Murtough just needs more time on the job, he was not ready yet, because he fired the scouting team. Lets wait till next summer, we will surely get Arnautovic and Rabiot.

DutchCruijff

Saved £1m a week from free exits. Sold Pereira for £10m. Ronaldo leaving would save us £15-25m a year.

That's £80m freed up.

Still can't sell for shit otherwise AWB, Williams, Bailly and Tuanzebe would be gone too.

We've purchased Malacia, Eriksen and Martinez - about £75m in fees and £25m in wages. Talking around £100m.

So our net spend is probably around £20m thus far. Well done, guys

LuckyScout78

updating and new edit, due United situation.

I think and believe United need 2 new cm players. One CDM and LCM to play more Ajax, Ten Hag and total football.

+ CDM or more defensive CM players :
- Edson Alvarez, Ajax. 24.10.1997. MV = 22 mill euros
- Moises Caicedo, Brighton. 02.11.1997. MV = 6 mill euros

+ LCM :
- Frenkie De Jong = Transfer price = 72 mill £
- A really good alternative option to Frenkie De Jong = Kenneth Taylor from Ajax. 16.05.2002. MV = 4,5 mill euros

In other words = One of CDM + LCM = Alvarez/Caicedo + Jong/Taylor

And about Frenkie De Jong. If he doesn't want to come to United. Why cannot Ten Hag asked De Jong directly, a phone call. If he want to come to United. Convince him. As soon as better. If he doesn't want to come. Drop it, move on and go for Kenneth Taylor.

Kenneth Taylor in his first 2 matches for Ajax. 2 goals in 2 mathes for Ajax this season

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/401122/Show/Kenneth-Taylor

United and Ten Hag shall go for a lot lower risk creative cm player who run a lot and cover a lot of area on the pitch, in Kenneth Taylor. Market value at only 4, 5 mill euros. Pay him the Tyrell Malacia price = a player that had a full really good season for Feyenoord.
A price between 15 -20 mill euros plus add ons should be a good deal for both parts.
Kenneth Taylor only start to debut for Ajax in the last 3-4 matches last season for Ajax and the first 2 matches this season.

The tip and advice for Ten Hag and United. Buy Kenneth Taylor from Ajax when the price and market value is really low. 4,5 mill euros for the quality of Kenneth Taylor. Again. He is 20 and at the age where he run a lot and fast and quick in the first metres too. And he has goals in his game. His market value will not be the same next summer. Same as his price.

Jacob

We need a new thread with an encyclopedia of all transfer targets by position. Losing track of all the names now.

IRN-BRUno

Cheap option for DM - Raphael Onyedika

Currently at Midtjylland, available for around £7m with Milan apparently interested.

daba

in:
Caicedo - 45m
SMS - 55m
Ziyech - Loan
+ RB

out:
Garner - 20m
AWB - Loan (20m option)

Then let’s all just move on with our lives.

daba

Decent shouts but lacks a striker
Tbf this was in the view that Ronaldo stays.

Gonçalo Ramos for 30m would be my bet as a young forward we can nurture. Plays primarily as a 9 but has the versatility to play across the line. Why we’re not linked when the likes of Newcastle are baffles me.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
So if we get Casemiro, I'd say the next biggest weakness to address should be goalkeeper, and then get rid of Ronaldo and bring in Morata for example. I'd be delighted with that.

Lux Thunder

If we are getting Casemiro instead of FDJ, then I would like a second MF signing to be Kouadio Kone. He shares some similar abilities with FDJ in terms of picking the ball deep and progressing and his work without the ball is also pretty good. Have the ability to pass or dribble through opponents' press.

Midfield of Casemiro as most defensive orientated, Kone as ball progressor and Eriksen/Bruno as creator could actually be a well-balanced one.

With Camavinga and Tchouameni already in Real Madrid, I think he would be tempted to move to a bigger club and league to be in the future plans of France NT setup.

daba

Diogo Costa (40m)

Malo Gusto (40m)
Varane
Martinez
Malacia

Casemiro (60m)
Caicedo (50m)
Bruno

Antony (60m)
Osimhen (80m)
Sancho

A boy can dream

RedOrange

So if we get Casemiro, I'd say the next biggest weakness to address should be goalkeeper, and then get rid of Ronaldo and bring in Morata for example. I'd be delighted with that.
I think this is correct. Eriksen isn't ideal for the midfield connector role but at this point a "backup" goalkeeper who isn't deathly afraid of the ball might help facilitate the buildup play more than whatever midfielders are attainable right now.

Ricardo de la Vega

Why do you want rid of Ronaldo? He's literally our only chance of goals. We should switch attention to Frenkie de Jong if we get Casemiro in to make sure we have a midfield, and then go for a right back, Anthony as a RW, and then goalkeeper. Hopefully we can work on all those deals at the same time.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Why do you want rid of Ronaldo? He's literally our only chance of goals. We should switch attention to Frenkie de Jong if we get Casemiro in to make sure we have a midfield, and then go for a right back, Anthony as a RW, and then goalkeeper. Hopefully we can work on all those deals at the same time.
Ronaldo wants out. Let him leave. He doesn't see himself as part of the team, part of the group. Doesn't take responsibility or accept his own decline. Don't think he suits Ten Hag in the slightest. All the talk about him causing problems. Our team morale has been a disaster since he joined the club. The morale dropped the second he joined pre season. He's 37. He's not very good anymore. Too big of a distraction.

croadyman

No chance in a million years we get even Casemiro & De Jong let alone all three of them

croadyman

Still need realistically

RB (around the Dest/Meunier price)
CM (don't need to be De Jong money)
Winger (Pulisic/Ziyech/Gakpo/Antony)
ST (good in the air and build up play)

Obviously De Gea is an issue but we won't replace him in the next two weeks that's for sure.

BorisManUtd

Antony seems to be coming but I think it's clear that we still need a RB and another midfielder. There are some rumours about new GK as well. 9 days to go.

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
We don't need to do everything in 1 transfer window. Just sign the right players and number 1 picks of the manager even if we have to wait until January or next summer. If the manager really wants De Jong, I'd rather we wait unless a target which is a perfect fit for his system becomes available. What we can do this window is not let Antony escape our grasp. He wants to come, even went on strike to come here. He's our managers number 1 attacking target and we must get him.

Macedonian Red

De Jong, Anthony and right back will be more than enough for this window. De Gea replacement and striker in next window, i hope.