What do we still need? Aka The never ending story

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
It’s clear that aside from a CF (and id day an attacking RB) a playmaking CM and ball playing GK are vital. Really hope ETH sees it this way too.

Keeper was a key change made by Pep, Klopp and Arteta too. I just hope ETH take the safe option a DDG is much harder to shift than the keepers at those clubs due to his wage and high status at United. Would not be an easy call but a necessity one imo

gajender

It’s clear that aside from a CF (and id day an attacking RB) a playmaking CM and ball playing GK are vital. Really hope ETH sees it this way too.

Keeper was a key change made by Pep, Klopp and Arteta too. I just hope ETH take the safe option a DDG is much harder to shift than the keepers at those clubs due to his wage and high status at United. Would not be an easy call but a necessity one imo
It is quite easy decision to make fortunately with his Contract ending in Summer so don't have to worry about shifting him at all .

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
It is quite easy decision to make fortunately with his Contract ending in Summer so don't have to worry about shifting him at all .
Oh wow I thought it was next summer. As much as I love De Gea and his displays for us down the years we should not renew his contract

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
New keeper, two midfielders ( casemiro and Bruno types) and two strikers ( starter and backup).

Roboc7

Rashford is the only attacking player we have who is at the required level. That can’t continue and has to be resolved via new signings and huge improvement from players already at the club.

We need two midfielders, Mctominay as a backup for Casemiro is farcical and Eriksen should be a squad player not starter.

A keeper that is good on the ball, a starter at RB and a CB to replace Maguire are also needed.

Woziak

ETH first interview talked about having two international players for every position and then allowing young talent to come through. We’ve gone from the fastest front 3 in the PL under Ole to Rashford and others that do not contribute anywhere near enough for the transfer fee paid and wages they are on. You can’t blame ETH he wanted Nunez and Gatkpo, he got Weghorst and both were refused by the Glazier's.

We need huge investment this summer and If the Qatari’s buy us they will know this, when they see player contracts, a lot are not getting renewed; I see sheikh Jassim already have his own list and war chest and he said young up and coming talent in his decree, this makes me think we will see a mass clearance of players with some having contracts just terminated and paid off. United have to sell to buy.

Sold and Released : Dalot or AWB(35), H Maguire (30), E Baily (10), A Telles (10), S Mctominay (30), D Henderson (25), DVB (20), A Ellanga (10), P Jones(R), A Martial (20), F Pellistri (10) the club won’t get that probably £150m as they will terminate contracts too and there will be a high level of efficiency this summer with incomings the FFP is a huge issue next year and year after that, providing we pay off debt, make sales of £100-125m and have good credit lines in place to take over amortised payments already owed to clubs, United could spend spend £300-350m in the summer but this is a one off as 70% of revenue becomes 90% in 2 years so they have to get rid of the dead weight this summer and buy this summer and this winter window.

Incoming possibilities :
New GK - D Raya (40)
New RB - Frimpong or Dumfries (45)
New CB - Kim Min Jae or Gvardiol (50 )
New CDM - Ngolo Kante (Free) or R Lavia (25)
New AM - J Maddison or M Kudas (45)
New CFW - V Osimhen or G Ramos (100)
New striker - R Leao or A Fati (70)

Wouldn’t surprise me to see another big name go to and these if they are signed will be signed over two windows not all in the summer.

Could see Antony or Jadon going very quickly if they doesn’t improve and ETH won’t have a say in it whatsoever. The Qatari’s already on record for saying they want to sign the best young talent in the world. It’s why behind the scenes the shambles that is united under the Glaziers ownership are even trying to bring back he who shall not be named. If new ownership is verified by end of March then watch the speculation go through the roof for new incoming players. Weghorst dream is 100% over and Sabitzer will need to pull up some high level stats in the next few games to stay.

Fabio Rochemback

In order of importance:

CF
GK
CM
Back up CF
Back up CB

This assumes that we keep Sabitzer, who I quite like so far.

Suv666

Everyone talks about GK and STs but no one mentions our RBs. Both Dalot and AWB are gash and we need a new one asap

Lee565

Our midfield needs some serious work still, we need at least two top class midfielders and bruno needs to be sacrifice as we going to keep struggling big matches for control of the game with almost a 2 man midfield against 3 nearly every time and then you have bruno who seems to have adhd with the ball at his feet where he always wants to force a Hollywood pass or shot and turning over possession to easily

Borussia Teeth

ETH first interview talked about having two international players for every position and then allowing young talent to come through. We’ve gone from the fastest front 3 in the PL under Ole to Rashford and others that do not contribute anywhere near enough for the transfer fee paid and wages they are on. You can’t blame ETH he wanted Nunez and Gatkpo, he got Weghorst and both were refused by the Glazier's.

We need huge investment this summer and If the Qatari’s buy us they will know this, when they see player contracts, a lot are not getting renewed; I see sheikh Jassim already have his own list and war chest and he said young up and coming talent in his decree, this makes me think we will see a mass clearance of players with some having contracts just terminated and paid off. United have to sell to buy.

Sold and Released : Dalot or AWB(35), H Maguire (30), E Baily (10), A Telles (10), S Mctominay (30), D Henderson (25), DVB (20), A Ellanga (10), P Jones(R), A Martial (20), F Pellistri (10) the club won’t get that probably £150m as they will terminate contracts too and there will be a high level of efficiency this summer with incomings the FFP is a huge issue next year and year after that, providing we pay off debt, make sales of £100-125m and have good credit lines in place to take over amortised payments already owed to clubs, United could spend spend £300-350m in the summer but this is a one off as 70% of revenue becomes 90% in 2 years so they have to get rid of the dead weight this summer and buy this summer and this winter window.

Incoming possibilities :
New GK - D Raya (40)

Wouldn’t surprise me to see another big name go to and these if they are signed will be signed over two windows not all in the summer.

Could see Antony or Jadon going very quickly if they doesn’t improve and ETH won’t have a say in it whatsoever. The Qatari’s already on record for saying they want to sign the best young talent in the world. It’s why behind the scenes the shambles that is united under the Glaziers ownership are even trying to bring back he who shall not be named. If new ownership is verified by end of March then watch the speculation go through the roof for new incoming players. Weghorst dream is 100% over and Sabitzer will need to pull up some high level stats in the next few games to stay.
We will not get the money that you have suggested from our sales. No one will pay 20m for a permanently injured Martial on 250k pw (despite him being good when available). No one will spend 20m on Donnie off the back of a long term injury/3 wasted years. 30m for a 30 year old Maguire on 200k per week? No chance. 35m for Dalot with a year on his contract? 35m for AWB who's attacking game is only suited to bottom half clubs? 30m for McT? Maybe Newcastle if we're lucky.

Like many other posters, your not considering the wages that these players are on. Also the fact that they will only attract interest from lower clubs that don't have the spending power to pay these transfer fees and wages.

Sparky Rhiwabon

We still need quite a lot

GK - De Gea isn’t getting any younger and isn’t suited to the modern game anyway. We can’t put this off for much longer. High priority. I quite like Raya, who may be gettable for a good price.

RB - we could limp along with Dalot and AWB or could sell AWB for someone better than both of them. Medium priority

LB - can probably manage for now. Low priority

CB - Varane and Martinez are good but after that the drop off is big. Ideally I’d replace both Maguire and Lindelof but, realistically it will be one (probably Maguire). High priority.

DCM. After Casemiro we have no one really. Sell McTominay and get a bright young defensive mid.

CM - Eriksen is getting on, Fred is OK and I wouldn’t mind keeping him around for depth but we need a class progressive mid - no doubt ETH will want De Jong again. High priority.

ACM - might be just about OK for now with Bruno, Eriksen if he’s back, maybe Amad, maybe Sancho.

AML - Rashford and Garnacho, plus Sancho, should be able to cover this. Low priority

AMR - I guess we’ll have to persevere with Antony a bit longer, with Sancho. Amad and maybe Pellestri providing cover and competition. Low to medium priority.

Striker - top priority.

So, in summary - striker top priority and then keeper, CB, DCM and CM all high priority - that’s five players we need Minimum. Realistically I can’t see us getting more than that in one window.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
We still need quite a lot

GK - De Gea isn’t getting any younger and isn’t suited to the modern game anyway. We can’t put this off for much longer. High priority. I quite like Raya, who may be gettable for a good price.

RB - we could limp along with Dalot and AWB or could sell AWB for someone better than both of them. Medium priority

LB - can probably manage for now. Low priority

CB - Varane and Martinez are good but after that the drop off is big. Ideally I’d replace both Maguire and Lindelof but, realistically it will be one (probably Maguire). High priority.

DCM. After Casemiro we have no one really. Sell McTominay and get a bright young defensive mid.

CM - Eriksen is getting on, Fred is OK and I wouldn’t mind keeping him around for depth but we need a class progressive mid - no doubt ETH will want De Jong again. High priority.

ACM - might be just about OK for now with Bruno, Eriksen if he’s back, maybe Amad, maybe Sancho.

AML - Rashford and Garnacho, plus Sancho, should be able to cover this. Low priority

AMR - I guess we’ll have to persevere with Antony a bit longer, with Sancho. Amad and maybe Pellestri providing cover and competition. Low to medium priority.

Striker - top priority.

So, in summary - striker top priority and then keeper, CB, DCM and CM all high priority - that’s five players we need Minimum. Realistically I can’t see us getting more than that in one window.
Replacing Maguire and McTominay with some cheap younger option shouldn't be anything challenging to do really. Should be a net savings if anything when you take wages into account. CB also probably not high priority given it's not a big deal if it stays as is. Lindelof is fine as backup CB, just need a 4th where we have Maguire now but he's probably going to leave for regular football. I'd say a CM is medium priority as well. Not a huge deal if it is left as Eriksen and Fred, not ideal in terms of wanting to push on but they do provide quite a bit each of them. GK for me is high priority but of course you can manage with "just" de Gea. He's an average PL goalkeeper.

If we sign a ST and replace McTominay with a DM that knows how to play DM, that alone will provide the biggest difference to our team IMO. Those are the positions where we just have nobody, while at least GK and CB we can pick between average options, and CM we have 2 good options (3 with Sabitzer)... Good, top 4 level, not title level.

Messier1994

The Swedish Rumble
One acknowledgement must be made, and that is that we are — not — one world class striker away.

A top class striker will only improve our play against teams like City, Arsenal, Barca, Real, Liverpool and go marginally. These teams will slaughter their opponents more often than not, unless you:
(a) copy Sean Dyche’s playbook and has a squad that can play that way,
(b) do a better job than them at keeping the ball within the team, beats them in the possession battle, or
(c) bring forward the mother of all gegenpresses and have a squad that can do that.

Under ETH, we will go for (b). When we fail, it won’t be pretty. If you want us to try it some other way, you should wish for ETH to be sacked because he will never deviate from that philosophy.

Brighton recently made Liverpool look silly twice during a two week period, because they controlled the play. Our team aren’t comfortable enough on the ball to hit the pitch and control the play and these type of matches. If anything — that — must improve.

Woziak

We will not get the money that you have suggested from our sales. No one will pay 20m for a permanently injured Martial on 250k pw (despite him being good when available). No one will spend 20m on Donnie off the back of a long term injury/3 wasted years. 30m for a 30 year old Maguire on 200k per week? No chance. 35m for Dalot with a year on his contract? 35m for AWB who's attacking game is only suited to bottom half clubs? 30m for McT? Maybe Newcastle if we're lucky.

Like many other posters, your not considering the wages that these players are on. Also the fact that they will only attract interest from lower clubs that don't have the spending power to pay these transfer fees and wages.
No I’m considering the fact that if a certain owner buys the club they will simply pay up their wages on the rest of their contract as loyalty bonus just to get rid of them, Martial is on 200k this week as we never qualified for CL, New owners ; “we don’t see a future for you here but we’ll pay the remainder of your salary £20m for next two years do your have to accept a lower wage at West Ham who have offered us £25m. Seriously just pretend for one second that the owners of Man United are not the passive Debt saddled Glaziers but a hands on efficient executive team, if they own the club by May they will move so fast with these things, making it very attractive for sellers to buy players. DVB May be part of swap deal with Mohamed Kudas and the new potential owners are so rich they might keep 3 right backs , the club can definitely get rid of Dean Henderson, A Telles, E Baily, H Maguire, S Mctominay, A Martial, B Williams, A Ellanga for £100-120m and that’s enough to free up space on wage bill and allow us to spend £250-300m on transfers but only this summer. Remember we might be a debt free Football club come June 1st 2023.

Borussia Teeth

No I’m considering the fact that if a certain owner buys the club they will simply pay up their wages on the rest of their contract as loyalty bonus just to get rid of them, Martial is on 200k this week as we never qualified for CL, New owners ; “we don’t see a future for you here but we’ll pay the remainder of your salary £20m for next two years do your have to accept a lower wage at West Ham who have offered us £25m. Seriously just pretend for one second that the owners of Man United are not the passive Debt saddled Glaziers but a hands on efficient executive team, if they own the club by May they will move so fast with these things, making it very attractive for sellers to buy players. DVB May be part of swap deal with Mohamed Kudas and the new potential owners are so rich they might keep 3 right backs , the club can definitely get rid of Dean Henderson, A Telles, E Baily, H Maguire, S Mctominay, A Martial, B Williams, A Ellanga for £100-120m and that’s enough to free up space on wage bill and allow us to spend £250-300m on transfers but only this summer. Remember we might be a debt free Football club come June 1st 2023.
Ok, apologies, I may have misread your original post. Hopefully we get owners as you've described.

Appletonred

A new GK, and hopefully a list containing the following names: Osimhen, Kane, De Jong, Bellingham, Mcallister, Tielemans, Timber, Dumfries.

Woziak

I think the D De Gea call is a little easier, he’s the highest paid GK in the world, only genuine elite World class players should be on £350-450k per week and probably no more than 3-4 players in the club. He’s nearing the end of his contract and no longer world class however we should renew on a 2-3 year contract at 175k per week and 25k per clean sheet per game per week so he could earn £225k with two clean sheets per week. I say this knowing that we should still go buy David Raya, who will have 12 months on his contract in summer, we should be able to get that deal done at £25m the same price we could sell Dean Henderson for.

Messier1994

The Swedish Rumble
Oh wow I thought it was next summer. As much as I love De Gea and his displays for us down the years we should not renew his contract
I think that the current offer is 200k — conditional upon him starting. Otherwise it drops significantly.

If he accept that, I would do that and sign a youngish keeper that can pass the ball. Let them battle it out.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff

Incoming possibilities :
New GK - D Raya (40)

Dream zone.

11 outgoing and 7 incoming with only 1 British player amongst them.

do people realise we have to meet a quota of homegrown players too?

Onerealunited

Let us be realistic with outgoing. Last many years we have only been able to sell in average 2 players (not counting people whose contract has expired). In addition if you take into account the large wages of many of our players then do not expect to sell many players or that we’d recover high sales prices

That said we should still be able to get rid of a few players including those with contacts ending:
- Butland: don’t see him continue as we might go for a GK that will challenge DDG and keep Heaton as 3rd
- Jones: contact expiring, won’t be renewed
- Tuanzebe: contract expiring, don’t see it renewed
- Baily: I like him but his injury problem and him being so close to red cards all the time is a risk you don’t want to take. This has also been the case this season at Marseille. I think he still has a market but give above we should not expect a high price. We would be lucky to receive €2m - €4m for him
- Williams: is young and British so has a market in UK, but won’t expect more than €8m - €12m from him since he has not played any games in a year
- Telles: should be able to sell him as he has seen some playing time in Sevilla however, given him being on his last year, his age, and the fact that clubs would know that we will be desperate to sell him I would expect somewhere between €2m - €4m for him
- Sabitzer: he has his strengths but if we are to invest in a new CM to start then there will be no need to spend money on him given the other players we already have and also the few players on loan which should be able to provide some similar backup cover and at the same time have a larger future potential
- Elanga. Won’t make it here and should leave to kickstart his career somewhere else. He is young and would be homegrown so we should be able to get something for him, realistically I believe we can get somewhere between €10m - €15m for him
- Weghorst: we should be able to find better

To sum up, above 9 players would leave with very high probability giving us €22m - €35m in transfer fee on top of saved wages.

There are a few other players that have been rumored away but due to high salaries, long contracts, recent long injuries I would see everyone beyond the above list as bonus departures

Woziak

Dream zone.

Ok you are well aware that 8 player home rule in the squad of 25 is the current PL legislation
Qualified as Homegrown ;

T Heaton (GK)
AWB (RB)
D Dalot (RB)
L Shaw (LB)
J Sancho (RW)
M Rashford (LF)
A Garnaucho (LF)
A Ellanga (RF)
He who shall not be named (RW)
K Mainoo (CF)
Z Iqbal (CM)

Selling S Mctominay, H Maguire and replacing them with either D Rice,l or J Maddison plus H Kane only strengthens the situation.

Last edited:

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Ok you are well aware that 8 player home rule in the squad of 25 is the current PL legislation
Qualified as Homegrown ;

T Heaton (GK)
AWB (RB)
D Dalot (RB)
L Shaw (LB)
J Sancho (RW)
M Rashford (LF)
A Garnaucho (LF)
A Ellanga (RF)
He who shall not be named (RW)
K Mainoo (CF)
Z Iqbal (CM)

Selling S Mctominay, H Maguire and replacing them with either D Rice,l or J Maddison plus H Kane only strengthens the situation.
You are presuming we don’t release Heaton, don’t loan Iqbal and don’t sack or sell he who shan’t be named.
I think there’s a lot more planning needed than just firing out names

Roboc7

Dream zone.

We don’t have to meet a quota, you can only have 17 non homegrown players (we currently only have 15), and then up to 8 homegrown. Wolves only have 3 or 4 homegrown players in their squad this season.

Next season we could have Rashford, Sancho, Shaw, a backup keeper or two and AWB, room for one more homegrown player plus 17 non homegrown players. Garnacho and any u21 players don’t need to be registered so we’re in good shape on homegrown rule.

Our current 25 man squad includes DVB who we knew was out for the season, Bishop and Williams. All three have just been registered for the sake of it.

Last edited:

Woziak

You are presuming we don’t release Heaton, don’t loan Iqbal and don’t sack or sell he who shan’t be named.
I think there’s a lot more planning needed than just firing out names
[/QUOTE

Why would we release Heaton he’s a perfectly decent third keeper and if not him we will recall another home green GK Mateo Kovar or Nathan Bishop, I happen to think Hanibal Mejbri, Amad Diallo and Alvaro Fernandez could all feature and are all home grown. He could easily decide he wants to use Shaw as left CB as well as LB and bring in Fernandez who looks the real deal. We really don’t have a problem with the homegrown rule and the third keeper is always used as a homegrown player for most top 6 clubs. However one of our summer signings should be English/British

the options are ; J Maddison, M Guehy T Abrahams, H Kane, F Tomari, D Rice, Evan Ferguson, W Zaha, I Toney

daba

Does zaha count btw
Yeah. Homegrown is just a player that has been at an English club for 3 years before they are 21, meaning even someone like Garnacho could be homegrown when he’s been here 3 seasons. This is why clubs try to pick up foreign talent at such a young age.

Ceteris

We need to employ a few scouts to follow Benfica's scouting teams lool, get them cheap at source

Those guys have gotten it right too many times for it to be just luck

Woziak

Does zaha count btw
He’s homegrown he started as an England under 21 and spent 3 years at Crystal Palace academy before we bought him at 20 years old 100% Counts and he’s free. Let’s be clear here , ETH was given Ronaldo, Martial, Rashford, Sancho, the Greenwood Problem and he wanted Cavani to stay but he couldn’t persuade him. He wanted. Antony and Gatkpo and got Antony for £35m more than we should have cause we spent too long chasing FDJ.

He promoted and developed Garnaucho, could not pick Greenwood under any circumstances and nor should he have been allowed giving the events transpired and then in January when Ronaldo pulled a stunt was given. Weghorst,

Martial has been crocked all season and looks gone. So people wonder why we can’t score goals, we need 6 or 7 elite options for 3 places and Bruno does not have the pace to play as right or left winger, he’s an 8 or a 10 and one of the 6 or 7 options we need for midfield. We need 8 homegrown players in a squad of 25 so that needs to be inconsideration. As well. Right now we have 3 options for 6 spaces and no natural CFW; United have Rashford, Garnaucho and Antony/Sancho just about make 1 with their numbers of goal involvements.

United should be looking at attacking options like this next season; Rashford, *Osimhen, J Sancho, Garnaucho, * E Ferguson or *B Sesco, Antony with M Kudas being back up to Bruno but someone who can play as right sided inverted striker too.. We need elite players who can score goals.

GregM40

Wouldn’t be surprised if we only get 2 key signings this summer, at ST and GK. Regardless of new ownership we have to sell a lot of players and there’s some inflated wages on board. Add a first team midfielder or two to the list and that’s a decent window IMO.

croadyman

Wouldn’t be surprised if we only get 2 key signings this summer, at ST and GK. Regardless of new ownership we have to sell a lot of players and there’s some inflated wages on board. Add a first team midfielder or two to the list and that’s a decent window IMO.
That's nowhere near enough because where is the midfielder partner for Casa and backup for him as well,otherwise we will lose more battles in middle

JohnnyLaw

In:

Attack: Retegui, Weghorst ~ 30m

Midfield: Man Utd Koné/Caqueret ~ 50m

Defence: N’Dicka, Min-Jae, Frimpong ~ 100m

Total: ~ 180m

————

Out:

Maguire, Lindelöf, Dalot, DvB, Laird, McTominay, Elanga, Bailly, Telles, Williams, Tuanzebe.

Olecurls99

In:

————

Out:

Maguire, Lindelöf, Dalot, DvB, Laird, McTominay, Elanga, Bailly, Telles, Williams, Tuanzebe.

A young Harry Kane?

croadyman

In:

————

Out:

Fully confident would only go for that Retegui IF none of Kane/Osimhen/Ramos can be signed at all,oh unless you meant instead of Wout

IrishRedDevil

It seems to me like acquiring at least a few senior players with homegrown status will come into the equation to some degree for United over the next couple windows.

A lot of United's current homegrown players don't seem to have a future at the club: Maguire, Jones, Williams, AWB, McTominay, Elanga.

In terms of homegrown building blocks, I see Rashford (assuming he signs a new deal), Shaw (assuming he signs a new deal), Garnacho, and maybe Sancho if he turns it around. Then some kids like Mainoo, Diallo, Mejbri who might make it or might not and some of whom might be on loan next year or the following.

I'm kind of surprised United hasn't been linked with Maddison. You need somebody to rotate with Bruno and clearly DVB isn't that guy.
Thats why we are linked with Mason Mount.