What do you do when we lose a match?

Spaghetti

Mom's
I used to get angry when I was younger and it would ruin my day / weekend or sometimes even longer.

Now I just get on with whatever I’d put off for the previous 90 minutes and I’ve forgotten it very quickly. Unless you are still at school, your favourite football team losing shouldn’t impact your life too greatly.

Web of Bissaka

Rantcafe :lol: here. Let it all out. It's a good therapy, and useful as you learn more from different perspectives by other posters. It can even make you feel about bad results/game/performances slightly better.

And then move on from it as soonest as I can, using any form of entertainments eg. movies, series, sports, etc I could get to ease the transition quickly. I mean it's not really worth it getting too emotional for many days or weeks because of this current United team. If it by chance make you feel better from good performances, then good, but the chances it did not, rant and just move on.

El Zoido

Immediately come to the caf to read all the well-reasoned, sensible reactions to the loss.

Robertd0803

Social Media and Football black out in general.

For major games being massivley pissed off which normally lasts until we next win or I come around to utter disinterest in most things.

PeteManic

Don't give a shit. My United days are long gone really. I wonder if kids today feel how I felt in the 90s?

Snuffkin

I go out and find someone who looks like the main protagonist from the opposing side and kick their heads in.

USREDEVIL

I whip myself as a form of self-torture because deep deep inside i know it's my fault.

Nah i just get pissed and go have lunch.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Sigh, knowing I’ve just wasted 90 mins of my life (good chance we’ve played turgidly if we’ve lost), then don’t really care. I mean I do care but it doesn’t affect my mood for the most part.

LVGSdive

It's just a football match. I care more about my health, money and my families health. Every team loses football matches it happens. The melt downs on here are usually over the top.

Red00012

Rant .

Turn off the tv immediately after

If I’m in the bar drink more

space

I hurt deep down but tell myself it is just a game, if it is a pathetic performance or versus a rival I rant here and on Twitter. I never watch highlights of a loss obviously as it just pisses me off and sometimes I won't watch any football for a couple of days. I seem to handle losses/draws better when I watch the game at Old Trafford though as opposed to on TV.

Matriac

Depends on the importance of the match and whether I'm alone or not.
If I'm dating someone at the time (and they are there) I'll likely be pissed off for maybe 30mins and then know I should bottle it up and try to take my mind off it by watching something else with them (or go play video games).
If I'm by myself it's not unusual to get a bit drunk, as I'll usually have started with some beer and whiskey during the game anyway.

I will definitely stay away from the caf until at least the next morning. I don't need to see the negativity from others. If especially bad or like on Sunday when the season is over and nothing new to look forward to near future I might stay away even longer. When I saw some Ole threads had jumped over 20 pages I didn't start checking it out until yesterday. Same with trashtalking and blaming some of our best players even when they didn't really play that badly. People are posting a lot of negative opinions that I disagree with, so I'd rather not see it. Hope people cool off as time passes. Which usually is the case. I don't know for sure, but I feel like many of the reflected voices on here seems to stay away at first as well.

Strelok

I'm used to be super pissed, angry and bitter. But Moyes, LVG and Jose helped a lot in that regard. Maybe with age as well.

Now I tried to stay away from the caf and online stuffs for at least a day. First because of the amount of knee jerk reaction and negativity. Second if I have anything to say, I'd be in a much calmer and more logical state. Usually I'd watch a movie or play some video games so my focus is not on the match anymore.

twitchchris

Depends on a few things: opponent we lost to, stakes of the match lost, how avoidable the loss was.

•A loss to City causes a towering rage that requires intense exercise to quell. If there's something I can break without consequence, I do.

•Loss that costs silverware usually causes a shortened temper that lasts an hour or two, so I throw myself into any home improvement project I've got to distract myself & utilize the increased energy.

•A loss that could have been avoided by simply selecting the right players and/or formation leaves me dispirited, with a couple of hours of intermittent bursts of temper.

Any of these causes me to avoid any news related to the sport for 24 hours, because I need no reminders.

Any combination of these can result in any number of...unpleasant behaviors, so in the interest of not being overly terrible to those around me, I've learned to turn the match off as soon as a loss looks unavoidable.

AaronRedDevil

Go on Redcaf and watch all the morons flip flop on their weekly opinions. Dunno why I do it. It’s fustrating to read hah. Mostly I just play something.

Thaila-X

Home games when we're allowed to go, I usually sulk my way into a pub and then console myself and by the time i'm home i'm over it, away games/when I'm watching on TV, I turn it off immediately at full time because the punditry drives me insane and avoid the internet until such a time that it's safe to resurface. Derby day in my house is the absolute worst, my dad and brothers are bluenoses and losing against them makes me want to move to Papua New Guinea. Absolutely dreading playing Leeds this year, work for a company based there and they still take great delight in reminding me about Jermain Beckford.

SirMattlives

I don't read the papers/watch TV coverage/punditry. Used to be annoyed for a few days, it's less now, just. And in the good days, I used to take solace knowing that no matter how pissed off I was, SAF would be more so -- that always helped. Since him, I am not so sure, but it really helps me feel better if the manager seems like he cares too. I know it's only a game etc but it's odd how invested one becomes in a team and their performances. I think I'm better at handling it rationally as I get older but I might also be turning into my dad who in his later years would stop watching close games in last 5 mins as he said his heart could not handle the tension. I know that's my future.

always_hoping

European exits have always hurt the most for me (must admit, didn't think an EL exit would sting this much, but it does). In a strange way, games when we get completely outplayed I can take on the chin a bit better, but when we're wasteful like tonight, it hurts even more. I usually avoid all highlights and interviews and actually find reading the threads on here a bit of a comfort as it's nice knowing others are feeling the same way! After a bit more sulking, I head to bed and am usually back to normal by the morning.
Yes It stung because of the manner of the exit. For me that semi final was the final in all but name and United should have won that match and trophy.

History now and was "only" the Europa league. The way that United lost league titles 1991/92, 1994/95 and 2011/12 more than City, Leeds, Blackburn won them was the hardests disappointments to take on the chin.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
I have a quick read of the opinions in the player performance threads, lose faith in humanity, then go to bed.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I don't give a shit anymore :lol: Football is a good hobby and a nice way to pass the time but gone are the days where I would feel completely down by a bad result.

Havak

Pokemon master
Generally, I can get on with things shortly after a little rant with a friend, but quite often I will watch a game alone and not speak to anyone directly after the final whistle. I almost always give it a few hours if not until the next day before I visit the Caf to post about said game. Emotions are always different if you let it rest a little first.

It does depend on how we lose the game for example. Eg. The Sevilla game, we should win. 9/10 times, we win. Certain players had a bad day of finishing, it happens. Ole didn't have the squad to make changes that made us more likely to score, but people will come and post here with their opinion on what could have been done differently. I can't understand it as much in cases like that one, we looked like scoring for larges portions of the game, so Ole had little reason to change Rashford/Martial/Greenwood as you'd fancy one of them to bag a chance eventually, it just didn't happen.

It's massively disappointing to lose but I have become more accepting of it over the last few years. We aren't a team that should expect to go winning 9-10 games in a row anymore, there will be draws and probably even losses almost every couple of months. Just got to get on with it and it doesn't effect me as much any more, probably because I know we don't have any chance at the biggest trophies yet anyway :lol:

So yeah, I just get on with whatever else I planned to do straight after the game.

RUCK4444

I used to get extremely angry and would probably throw a few things around the living room if I’m completely honest, like the controls or my phone. Like a kid.

I’ve learned to mellow that, I still get proper irate though at times.

The last time I felt the rage monkey was the semi final loss to Chelsea.

MoXoM

Have a strop (which usually lasts a day) and avoid MOTD!

meamth

Understand why we lose, imagine what could've been done to avoid it, and then..move on.

Fosu-Mens

Would like to know what others do.
Depending on how important that match is, and who it is against it can vary...

Some of the things I do:
1. I usually try to block it out by watching a series or a movie.
2. Sometimes I mope around and ask the wife to make me feel better :lol:
3. Diving into a game or something (COD or whatever)
4. Avoid certain threads in the Manchester United forum
5. Try not to listen to the pundits post match thoughts, and from the manager and players cause almost always nothing they say makes me feel better. (Sometimes I do though)

At times I wish I was an alcoholic for those moments :lol:

What do you do?

EDIT: I put in our thread because I specifically want to know what our fans do, but don't mind hearing what other fans do so if a mod wants to move it, they can.
It all depends on how we played... and if the issues that caused us to lose are something that has been a known issue or a random occurrence.

If we win by totally dominating the game and having the most chances I praise those who deserve praising, either it be the usual suspects or someone less usual. Also, try to identify if we could have done something better.

If we lose, but totally dominating the game by possession and/or chances created I'm dissappointed but not worried. Creating the most amount of chances and having efficient finishers, which we have in Martial and Greenwood, will win us most games over time. If we dominate by possession but struggle to create I usually point to us having no attacking width and our fullbacks lack of ability on the ball and in the final third (known issue).

If we win undeservedly, either by being extremely efficient in front of goal or a lucky 1-0 while being dominated, then I'm happy with the win, but also worried. Depending on having extremely efficient attackers is not sustainable over time. And evaluate if there is something fundamentally wrong with how we approach playing football... I.e. lack of passing pattern, cohesiveness, understanding of how the modern game is played etc.

If we lose deservedly, then much the same as the point above.

In general, I think there should be more a focus on how we play and performed than the actual short term results. Dominating games and creating chances is far more sustainable and indicative of the future than lucky 1-0 wins. Having this slightly more objective and long term approach on how to react when we play might reduce the amount of subjectivism and hostility on here and in the player performance threads.

The older you get you realise you can't win them all and that success comes and goes, even for the big clubs.

Relish the good years and don't panic when everything turns to shit.

Edit: spelling

Last edited:

Withnail

The older you get you realise you can't win them all and that success comes and goes, even for the big clubs.

Relish to good years and don't panic when everything turns to shit.
Yeah that's it. There's rarely ever a need for panic or hysterics.

I'm annoyed straight after we lose but it doesn't last long. I still tend not to watch the aftermath or analysis immediately after the game but I might read an article or two a few days later.

SirAF

Ageist
Used to stew for the whole weekend when I was younger, as an adult I shrug if off after the match and return to life I guess.

wolvored

Last 6 months aside it's been expected. It was more a shock when we won

Canuckred64

I have to admit our play the last few seasons has soften my response. I used to be absolutely miserable for the next couple of days. Now I am finding that I am taking in stride.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Early defeats in the season I get angry about but that is usually down to my expectations, which are hardly high for United as it is, taking a reality check.

okLaptop1

Supports
Minnesota Vikings
I have to admit our play the last few seasons has soften my response. I used to be absolutely miserable for the next couple of days. Now I am finding that I am taking in stride.
Same. I used to be unable to go on r/soccer for a whole day for instance, but now I'm in the post-game thread asap to further breathe in the sadness and take the memes on the chin. Nothing beats caf post-loss misery though, I still can't stand these forums after a loss. Reminds me of late 2000s blue moon or whatever the City forum is called.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
Alcohol......lots of alcohol.

Actually I dont even care anymore. This club makes it so hard for me to give a crap.