What does Mourinho need to do to deserve another season?

ash_86

I think if he could take us to top 4 and part ways, that would be amazing at this point.

Mick321

Transform his personality, transform his style of play so we might you know, go to places like Anfield and actually try to score a goal and finally get at least 88 points this season. None of them will happen and he should never have been appointed in the first place.

Reactions: SteveJ

Deleted member 101472

He literally needs to reinvent his style of coaching and start taking accountability which is almost an impossibility given his seemingly stubborn nature.

One of the first things he needs to realize is that its not all about trophies. When reporters start asking him difficult questions, he is always very quick to bring up what he's won. We all know, and its an amazing achievement, but the premier league (and other comps) is different now. The notion of not winning anything but still having a successful season actually exists now, because the trophies available to win are so few and the teams who can rightfully lay claim to being a genuine contender are now of a higher quantity.

As a lifelong fan, and having had some time to reflect, I can hand on heart say that I would stick with Mourinho (or any manager for that matter) who's sole purpose was to go out and play entertaining football. I don't really care about winning things anymore, sure it's nice but all the trophies have lost a lot of their stature because of the almost pay to win mentality that most of the big clubs have adopted. United will ALWAYS be a massive club and always have the commercial appeal to attract good enough players to play an attractive brand of football, and when unleashed that way, they'll stand a good chance of winning some more titles but contrary to what Mourinho thinks, they don't need to in order to be successful, or to keep the fans happy.

endless_wheelies

feeling dizzy
I expected Woodward to back him this summer and the club got it wrong big time by signing only 2 players...But Mourinho has signed 2 Central defenders over the last 2 years and they are both struggling right now.Mourinho did sign a player who could play on the right for 30 odd million...Mikhitaryan was brilliant on the right for Dortmund,But Mourinho couldn’t integrate him into the team...
He had to sign who he had to sign at the time. We didn't have any young, talented defenders so we brought in Bailly and then Lindelof to play alongside more mature "leaders" like Jones and Smalling. They're still young and have shown promise so despite obvious impatience as fans we really can't judge them conclusively for another 2 or 3 years. This summer however was the time to prioritise upgrades on those leaders. As for Mikhitaryan, who knows... he was never really a right winger at Dortmund, more operating defensively on the right but floating inside as a playmaker offensively. I suspect the role Mourinho had earmarked for him went when we signed Pogba; Duncan Castles always said Mourinho wanted Kante.

OldTrevil

See to it that Pogba and Martial receive lifetime contracts from the club, adidas and the noodle sponsor

Hehe

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Beyond a radical change in playing style that gave him his success over 15 years and general demeanor/personality you mean? Dont really care what he wins this year (not that we'll win anything..), I just dont want him in charge. Hes thoroughly unlikable, blamed everyone but himself, it's always a media circus with him and the football is always brutal to watch.

So basically, nothing.

broccoli

Supports
FCPorto
Top 4, quarters the CL and I'd say give him another year. If next season doesn't improve on that then it's probably time to part ways.
Same here. You can't really ask for more without backing the manager in the transfer market.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Same here. You can't really ask for more without backing the manager in the transfer market.
You can ask the manager to improve what he has and get the most of what he has. Which should be coaching 101. Prove you deserve backing. Earn it through getting the top level out of everyone, then if it's not enough, spend money. Currently not a single player is playing to their potential. Nowhere close. So what use is spending more money on players who wont perform in the current system?

Gandalf

He literally needs to reinvent his style of coaching and start taking accountability which is almost an impossibility given his seemingly stubborn nature.

One of the first things he needs to realize is that its not all about trophies. When reporters start asking him difficult questions, he is always very quick to bring up what he's won. We all know, and its an amazing achievement, but the premier league (and other comps) is different now. The notion of not winning anything but still having a successful season actually exists now, because the trophies available to win are so few and the teams who can rightfully lay claim to being a genuine contender are now of a higher quantity.

As a lifelong fan, and having had some time to reflect, I can hand on heart say that I would stick with Mourinho (or any manager for that matter) who's sole purpose was to go out and play entertaining football. I don't really care about winning things anymore, sure it's nice but all the trophies have lost a lot of their stature because of the almost pay to win mentality that most of the big clubs have adopted. United will ALWAYS be a massive club and always have the commercial appeal to attract good enough players to play an attractive brand of football, and when unleashed that way, they'll stand a good chance of winning some more titles but contrary to what Mourinho thinks, they don't need to in order to be successful, or to keep the fans happy.
Sorry but it is all about winning trophies and always will be. The word for teams who think it is not all about winning is losers. I bet if you asked a Liverpool fan if they would rather have won the Europa League and Carabao Cup in the last 3 years or if they are happier being entertaining losers the honest ones would say they would take the trophies every time. That being said, Jose needs to win something and keep us in the CL to be sure of another season.

broccoli

Supports
FCPorto
You can ask the manager to improve what he has and get the most of what he has. Which should be coaching 101. Prove you deserve backing. Earn it through getting the top level out of everyone, then if it's not enough, spend money. Currently not a single player is playing to their potential. Nowhere close. So what use is spending more money on players who wont perform in the current system?
Some clubs like United have certain expectations. If you're not able to fight for what was proposed and expected, then things start to go bad. It's not like Spurs where your final standings deviate a couple positions every season because their status of mid club allows them more stability in growth. The squad will hardly implode if they lack the firepower to challenge top2.

Liverpool for instance was 2nd in 13/14 but then 6th and then 8th right before stabilizing for the last 2 seasons at 4th. City was 4th and 3rd before being champions for the last time. Chelsea 1st -> 10th -> 1st -> 5th. United in comparison has even more responsibility than these clubs. It's the biggest club in England and if the players/staff feel far away from being able to compete for the 2 best places then obviously things get worse. Motivation, player insecurity, media and fan pressure, and so on.

In an ideal world, United would finish in a standing fitting of their players and managers quality with the added element of luck. But things don't work like that, especially after so much drama and not staying behind the manager.

Only those with personal agendas really think it's all black and white as results. If you demand better football even when you win, you should also understand that sometimes you lose, not because you're worse but because the team is in a terrible patch of form and confidence, which is the case.

68Guns

With the cash he's splashed on very poor buys and the drab dreary football served up to the masses unless he wins the treble this season he's not worth a carrot, he's a dinosaur who is so tactically out of bounds it's laughable. Jose tara fella and don't ever come back!

JMack1234

He needs to approve on last season. We need to challenge for the league and play better football. At the moment it looks like we'll be failing to do either of these.

Personally I think he'll be gone by the next international window.

Imperious

Simple. Make a credible title challenge this year and he should get another season. I dont give a crap about "playing style" right now. Winning = entertainment.

Reactions: Niall

broccoli

Supports
FCPorto
Simple. Make a credible title challenge this year and he should get another season. I dont give a crap about "playing style" right now. Winning = entertainment.
Exacly. If a team challenges the title in the premier league, they certainly will give good spectacles. Who wouldn't want to see last season's United 4-0s streak. So Boring right ? Only 4-0s. Obviously no team endures that dominance these days but a title challenge will always bring some of the best out of most players.

steffyr2

This thread will be dead by Sunday as I think he will be history.
Someone should start a thread, titled, 'It's Thursday, has anything changed?' and then a new one every day after. With a one post answer every day. Because honestly the same topic has gone on and on....nothing changes. People keep moaning and moaning and moaning.

Needham

If he wired me anything north of fifty quid I'd have to back him.

RedDevil@84

A top 2 finish with a non-embarrassing point difference.
Win the FA cup or League cup. Go till quarters at least in the CL.

He is all set to live out the summer window

Nikelesh Reddy

He had to sign who he had to sign at the time. We didn't have any young, talented defenders so we brought in Bailly and then Lindelof to play alongside more mature "leaders" like Jones and Smalling. They're still young and have shown promise so despite obvious impatience as fans we really can't judge them conclusively for another 2 or 3 years. This summer however was the time to prioritise upgrades on those leaders. As for Mikhitaryan, who knows... he was never really a right winger at Dortmund, more operating defensively on the right but floating inside as a playmaker offensively. I suspect the role Mourinho had earmarked for him went when we signed Pogba; Duncan Castles always said Mourinho wanted Kante.
Does it really make sense to sign 2 young Central defenders?After signing Bailly,did we really have to sign Lindelof the next summer?Could we not have targeted a more experienced Central defender instead of Lindelof?If Lingards fit and if he plays regularly on the right,then I think we”ll have more balance in our attack....But Jose has to take responsibility for our predicament at the back...

Nikelesh Reddy

Sorry but it is all about winning trophies and always will be. The word for teams who think it is not all about winning is losers. I bet if you asked a Liverpool fan if they would rather have won the Europa League and Carabao Cup in the last 3 years or if they are happier being entertaining losers the honest ones would say they would take the trophies every time. That being said, Jose needs to win something and keep us in the CL to be sure of another season.
Yes,but the “biggest” clubs in the world don’t have to choose between winning trophies and playing attacking football.They simply do both...Or they atleast try to do both...

Nikelesh Reddy

Some clubs like United have certain expectations. If you're not able to fight for what was proposed and expected, then things start to go bad. It's not like Spurs where your final standings deviate a couple positions every season because their status of mid club allows them more stability in growth. The squad will hardly implode if they lack the firepower to challenge top2.

Liverpool for instance was 2nd in 13/14 but then 6th and then 8th right before stabilizing for the last 2 seasons at 4th. City was 4th and 3rd before being champions for the last time. Chelsea 1st -> 10th -> 1st -> 5th. United in comparison has even more responsibility than these clubs. It's the biggest club in England and if the players/staff feel far away from being able to compete for the 2 best places then obviously things get worse. Motivation, player insecurity, media and fan pressure, and so on.

In an ideal world, United would finish in a standing fitting of their players and managers quality with the added element of luck. But things don't work like that, especially after so much drama and not staying behind the manager.

Only those with personal agendas really think it's all black and white as results. If you demand better football even when you win, you should also understand that sometimes you lose, not because you're worse but because the team is in a terrible patch of form and confidence, which is the case.
Woodward should have backed Mourinho last summer,no doubt about that....But Mourinhos biggest gripe is that the club didn’t give him a “ball playing” Centre back and a right winger.The club gave him 2 centre backs in the last 2 seasons and both of them are woefully out of form right now.Isnt this Jose’s fault?After signing a young centre back with limited experience of European football(Bailly),why did Jose sign another CB with zero experience the next summer?Can a club that wants to compete for the title afford to integrate 2 young,inexperienced Central defenders?

Jose should have signed a more experienced Centre half in 2017....Even if Lindelof had insane potential(which he clearly doesn’t) he didn’t have the right profile to play alongside a young Bailly.And the club also gave him Mikhitaryan,who quite successfully played as an unconventional RW at Dortmund....Mourinho couldnt integrate him into the team.As a manager you live and die by your signings....

I don’t want him to be sacked immediately,in fact I”m the guy who started this thread because I”m still hoping against hope that he can turn this dire situation around.But the notion that Jose’s a poor victim and the club haven’t backed him is incorrect.He was heavily backed in the last 2 transfer windows...And he was given a 45 million pound central midfielder this summer,and a talented young RB.To put things into perspective Spurs didn’t sign a single new player last summer,but Pochettinos still churning out the results without complaining.Mourinho has to do much much more with the squad that he has at his disposal...

AlecHDR

Angry, incoherent heterosexual slob
  • Stop moaning
  • Stop self-sabotaging himself and the team (by playing McTominay at CB to send a message and such stunts)
  • Smash smaller teams. I am willing to admit that maybe our team is far behind the top 5-6, but slow, lethargic, conservative displays against the smaller teams is what really hurts.
  • Finish in the top four and either win the FA cup or reach the semi-final of the CL.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Semi-final of UCL or Top 4 in Premier League. Don't rate domestic cups to give them any leverage.

That being said, I don't like him and don't want him at the job but wouldn't want to sack him if he's going along expectations.

Aloysius's Back 3

Having tactics that revolve around getting the best out of every individual player & their roles whilst within a team - should enable a team ethic & type of football that is attractive to the eye & results.

Fact is - only reason Lukaku plays as a target man is because of the manager. Only reason martial plays LW is the same. Same with Rashford'role, Pogba's, pereira, felliani etc etc - Jose would rather have Lukaku turn in to Drogba rather than allow him to play a type of football he is comfortable with & that is applied to many players within out squad.

He's been trying to create his old Chelsea teams at United & it's not working. Unless he changes it - he should peddle out.

SER19

Challenge for the title or champions league. We’re only 7 points off the top, yes it’s been a very poor start but realistically there’s no excuse for falling behind Chelsea, Liverpool and Tottenham this year if we’re not catching city. Not so much for mourinho but the club could badly do with fluking a CL like pool or Chelsea have done. We need a big trophy soon.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Top 4 and have us playing football like he had us playing for the first half of that season before Sanchez joined. Top 4 would be a great achievement considering that we will be fighting for 5/6/7 with quality around us

VJ1762

I think the bridge has been burnt between him and many of the players.He should have been fired after the Sevilla defeat and heritage comments, but that's just my 2 cents.

It took us 26 years to become the number 1 club in England again, and we are flushing all the good work done down the toilet. I think it has come to a point where most of our fans are afraid of the new manager becoming a bust, irrespective of his reputation.

Damn it Fergie, you were supposed to be our manager till the end of time.

mu4c_20le

Nothing. He's left too many scars here already. Unless he somehow transforms back into his Porto-CHelsea old self, and the players suddenly love him and fight for him 120% on the pitch, and he's suddenly all buddy buddy with all the players and putting hsi arm around them etc. Not going to happen. He was never a good fit here and I was only optimistic because of all the rumors about him wanting to suceed Fergie and never talking bad about us and thinking he actually wanted to come here to build ad ynasty.

Roboc7

You appoint Mourinho to win trophies in a 2-3 year period, if he lasts until the end of the season he has used up all that time so I don’t see any benefit in persisting with him.

Best case scenario this season is top 4 and the FA Cup which would probably save his job. But he isn’t going to change his style of play or his personality so it is just delaying the inevitable.

ice-bionic red

Play attacking football.

Stop starting Fellaini, McTominay, Valencia and Young.

But he won’t. So he’s gone in my eyes

OldSchoolManc

Regenerate as Pep.
Absolutely sick of hearing Pep arse lickers.
He would never have been a success at United, as we didn’t have the squad or enough money to do what he has to do.
There wasn’t a billion available to spend when we changed managers and Pep was never coming here anyway.
Does everyone forget that he finished joint 4th in his first season, winning nothing?
Jose also got United to 5th(same points as Pep) and won the FA cup in his first season.

As for what he needs to do. A title challenge (I have money on it :lol:) or a Champions league challenge.