What happened to them (hyped youngsters)?

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Randomly thought of Royston Drenthe after reading a teller's name badge today.

Couldn't quite believe his career trajectory, after I google'd him.

He was never a "sure thing" in the world class category, but I'd honestly have thought he'd make mid table in a big league. Only 28 years old as well.

So was it only talent that stopped him, or a combination of things, like lack of talent, injury, attitude?

Anyway, so are there any other previously (over)hyped youngsters (Pato) out there who's nowhere to be seen these days?

Brown Toothpick

Supports
FC Barcelona
Pato has no business being used as an example. He's doing quite well in Brazil and will probably be back playing in Europe this January.

Kerlon, even though he wasn't that hyped, is now playing in the Maltese premier league.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
Freddie Adu is the ultimate over hyped youngster, surely? They promised us Pele! Then again be was probably about 29 when the hype started. He's back in the MLS now.

Saviola?

Ganso was compared to Zidane a few years back but his career has stalled.

We'll be adding Ravel Morrison into this list in about 2 years.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Pato has no business being used as an example. He's doing quite well in Brazil and will probably be back playing in Europe this January.

Kerlon, even though he wasn't that hyped, is now playing in the Maltese premier league.
Better than the Japanese third division he was in I suppose.

GBBQ

I don't think he's doing that well in Brazil and considering the promise he showed at Milan he's definitely fallen down. Still young enough to turn it around but at the moment I think its fair to consider him.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
I always wonder what happened to former United youth player Lee Martin.

Boycott

Josh McEachran was being hyped as the next best thing in English football.

A "stylish creative midfielder" who now 100 games into his professional career has yet to score a club goal

nevillestache

Looking at other players playing in the UAE, there's Hugo Viana. I seem to remember him being pretty hyped as a youngster.

Young European Player of the Year award at Sporting before moving to Newcastle for £8.5m (a year before Ronaldo moved to United for £12m) where I can't remember him being that great. Then moved to Valencia where he played 40 odd times by the looks of it and was then loaned out to Osasuna before being loaned and sold to Braga. He's played for two clubs in the UAE since 2013.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Which team is Ravel Morisson at Now? He was gonna be better than Pogba wasn't he?

Chelsea have had a million potential Peles turn out to be shite in recent years.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Anyone think Balotelli might make this thread (or a similar one!) someday? (as I'm writing this, I have no idea how he's performing back in Italy).

Last edited:

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Gourcuff was a player people here were obsessed with. Not quite a youngster, he was supposedly on the brink of becoming top class. I finally saw him at one of the major international tournaments and he was a bag of nerves. Don't think he lived up to the hype thereafter.

There was also this centre back people used to drool over as some sort of dream signing. Never did much. Can't remember his name. Argh.

Lay

Gourcuff was a player people here were obsessed with. Not quite a youngster, he was supposedly on the brink of becoming top class. I finally saw him at one of the major international tournaments and he was a bag of nerves. Don't think he lived up to the hype thereafter.

There was also this centre back people used to drool over as some sort of dream signing. Never did much. Can't remember his name. Argh.
Hofland?

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Many of these are still playing at a reasonable level, but none came anywhere near close to fulfilling their overhyped potential

Rafael Sobis
Adailton
Diego
Rodrigo Possebon
Obafemi Martins
Ganso
Johann Gourcuff
Manuel Iturbe
Daniel Guiza
Adriano
Seb Deisler
Freddy Adu
Anthony Le Tallec
Ricardo Quaresma
Savio Nserenko
Frederico Macheda

Lay

Many of these are still playing at a reasonable level, but none came anywhere near close to fulfilling their overhyped potential

Rafael Sobis
Adailton
Diego
Rodrigo Possebon
Obafemi Martins
Ganso
Johann Gourcuff
Manuel Iturbe
Daniel Guiza
Adriano
Seb Deisler
Freddy Adu
Anthony Le Tallec
Ricardo Quaresma
Savio Nserenko
Frederico Macheda
Was he actually hyped? His breakthrough came late in his career and didn't last long. Never thought he was hyped as a youngster though.

ADJUDICATOR

Supports
THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD
Nilmar; Bojinov; Gourcuff; Breno; Adler; Fiorillo; Sergio Asenjo; Akinfeev; Gio Dos Santos; Alexandre Pato; Keirrison; Mario Balotelli; Quaresma; Nasri; Diego Ribas; Manuel Fernandes; Miguel Veloso; Banega; Bojan; Lulinha; Ben Arfa; Michael Johnson; Pastore; Canales..
The list goes on.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Was he actually hyped? His breakthrough came late in his career and didn't last long. Never thought he was hyped as a youngster though.
You're probably right. Just remember him top scoring in La Liga and then disappearing.

Amir

Nilmar; Bojinov; Gourcuff; Breno; Adler; Fiorillo; Sergio Asenjo; Akinfeev; Gio Dos Santos; Alexandre Pato; Keirrison; Mario Balotelli; Quaresma; Nasri; Diego Ribas; Manuel Fernandes; Miguel Veloso; Banega; Bojan; Lulinha; Ben Arfa; Michael Johnson; Pastore; Canales..
The list goes on.
:confused:

lysglimt

Scout

Seb Deisler
Injuries ruined his career - when he arrived at Bayern he was 22 years old - but only played 60 matches in a 5 year period due to several knee operations. He retired at the age of 27 or so

Enigma_87

You know who
The list goes on.
Some of those names are shocking inclusions. Akinfeev, Diego, Nasri in particular to those already mentioned. They have had pretty good careers. They were highly rated but no one expected Maradona or Zoff there..

POF

Rafael Sobis
Adailton
Diego
Rodrigo Possebon
Obafemi Martins
Ganso
Johann Gourcuff
Manuel Iturbe
Daniel Guiza
Adriano
Seb Deisler
Freddy Adu
Anthony Le Tallec
Ricardo Quaresma
Savio Nserenko
Frederico Macheda
He was an excellent player. Seemed to be the big German hope when they were really short of talent. Real shame to see his career finish so early.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Seems a little silly to write it rather than goggle it. ;)

He's with Millwall.
Yeah, I could have googled him but then I wouldn't get the pleasure of you telling me where he is. :D

Il Prete Rosso

Prete, the Italian Pete
Josh McEachran was being hyped as the next best thing in English football.

A "stylish creative midfielder" who now 100 games into his professional career has yet to score a club goal
He's a Chelsea FC youth player. He was destined to rot if he stayed at that club. He should have cut his losses and moved to another club because he was quite a talent. Chelsea isn't the place for academy players to make it.

Last edited: