What happens if we finish third and win the FA cup?

Mike09

Yes there was.
We had Falcao. Di Maria. RVP. Rooney. Carrick. Blind. DDG. Smalling.
With those players (immediately after the transfer window), many of us, me included, felt that we'd have a shot at the title.
I remember when our team played at MCFC's home ground, we fielded the most expensive team in EPL history and narrowly lost that game because we went down to 10 men.
Even LVG, in the new year, stated that we have a genuine shot at the title.

I realise that LVG has lowered standards, but expectations were ridiculously high after a great Summer transfer window and LVG (big name manager) installed at the helm.
No there was no expectation from LVG himself either. From the start of season when the media asked him about have a shot at the title, he said that he wanted to win the league if we can but what more important is getting top 4 because we were 7th in the previous season. There was expectation from the media and fans due to summer signing but to me they were deluded by those signing because they were excited with it. From 7th and expected to come 1st is too much for expectation. Leicester is another story of you called miracle. They pulled out something that is impossible become possible.

Dominos

He's gone regardless. Not sure what is with the 5000 hypothetical threads.
I'd bet good money the board would keep him with 3rd and the FA Cup. It'd be progress from last season, it'd achieve the bare minimum target of getting CL football, and it'd be a trophy that we've not won in over a decade.

Having said that, we wont finish top 4, so he'll be out the door because he didn't meet the minimum objectives.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
You actually think we could realistically challenge the league with Fellaini, Schneiderlin, Lingard, Memphis, Darmian, Rojo and etc? This squad is the worst squad we ever had in these last 20 years. The standard of the league isn't terrible as any team in the league now are capable to win the games. It is now even more competitive. And we need much better players especially in term of consistency.
How can a team with teenager as their main striker is realistic to win the league without a miracle? There are more strikers in the league who are currently better than Rashford. It's true the manager's system is wrong but the manager's man management is poor as he thought it will be more than enough to start the season with only two forwards Martial and Rooney.
I agree with the squad but the league standard has plummeted. I think Fergie would have us there or there abouts. We have lost a few last minute goals and beat from lower half teams at OT. The league was there for the taking I blame a lot on the way the players have been managed.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
I'd bet good money the board would keep him with 3rd and the FA Cup. It'd be progress from last season, it'd achieve the bare minimum target of getting CL football, and it'd be a trophy that we've not won in over a decade.
That's actually a pretty good point.
Technically, 3rd place + FA Cup is progress on last season.

Mike09

I agree with the squad but the league standard has plummeted. I think Fergie would have us there or there abouts. We have lost a few last minute goals and beat from lower half teams at OT. The league was there for the taking I blame a lot on the way the players have been managed.
But LVG isn't Sir Alex. So trying to expect any other manager to be able to make the current squad to challenge the league is unrealistic of expectation at the start of season

Lawman

But LVG isn't Sir Alex. So trying to expect any other manager to be able to make the current squad to challenge the league is unrealistic of expectation at the start of season
I didn't expect LVG at the start of the season to be this bad! So how would I have known?

Mike09

I didn't expect LVG at the start of the season to be this bad! So how would I have known?
Being this bad? Who cares about that, it has nothing to do with our discussion. The point of our discussion wasn't about how poor we are right now but it was about expectation to win the league with this squad.
If fans think it is realistic to win the league with our current players from the start of season therefore it's called deluded.

3KDré

What would happen? We'd become Arsenal:
  • Past it, stubborn manager who can't see glaring mistakes in our team
  • Fans who are reminiscent of the past, and only ever mention how good we were/could be (but these fans wouldn't be so frequent amongst United fans as they are amongst Arsenal fans)
  • Aiming for top four and winning the FA cup is classified as a good season, but 'next year will be OUR year'
Or, regardless of the result, our board is smart enough to get rid of the moron leading this team. God I Woodie isn't stupid.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I think LVG will go regardless. There's not much of a difference between 3rd and 4th - only a few points this season - and that cannot be a decisive factor with regards to choice/change of managers. At the end of the day, the fan's desire/views/mood should also matter. If they are begging for a change there obviously is a strong and valid reason irrespective of a few a few points.

And of course I want us to get 3rd (don't see it happening) and the FA cup.

Lawman

Being this bad? Who cares about that, it has nothing to do with our discussion. The point of our discussion wasn't about how poor we are right now but it was about expectation to win the league with this squad.
If fans think it is realistic to win the league with our current players from the start of season therefore it's called deluded.
Why is it deluded to have thought we could have won the league? We had just added Morgan Bastian Rojo Darmain and two of the young top talents in Europe in Depay and Martial. We should have been easily challenging for the league. Saying its a bit hopeful I could see your point but deluded no way. Rojo Darmain and Depay have all been shockingly bad. Bastian and Morgan have been average at best. The only one of our signings to excel was Martial that was hard to predict. If our other signings had lived up to their tags of expectation and their form with their previous clubs we would have been challenging. That is my opinion on this come on did you expect Darmain Rojo and Depay to do this badly?

Mike09

Why is it deluded to have thought we could have won the league? We had just added Morgan Bastian Rojo Darmain and two of the young top talents in Europe in Depay and Martial. We should have been easily challenging for the league. Saying its a bit hopeful I could see your point but deluded no way. Rojo Darmain and Depay have all been shockingly bad. Bastian and Morgan have been average at best. The only one of our signings to excel was Martial that was hard to predict. If our other signings had lived up to their tags of expectation and their form with their previous clubs we would have been challenging. That is my opinion on this come on did you expect Darmain Rojo and Depay to do this badly?
What makes you think unproven players like Rojo, Darmian, Memphis and etc are expected to lead us to win the league?
What makes you think at the start of season that Blind is expected to be centre back that can win the league?
What makes you think that having 2 strikers only (Rooney and Martial) at the start of season are expected to lead us to win the league?
What makes you think a squad with less winning mentality are expected to win the league?
You are agree that our squad is the worst one in these 20 years. To be fair though, at the start of season Chelsea (though they turned into 180 degree) and City have a better squad than us so it is realistic to expect us getting 3rd or even if we are lucky 2nd place from the start of season. Even LVG wasn't expecting us to win the league at the start of season. The league itself is even harder right now as it is more competitive that the previous seasons.

And if you are trying to mention Leicester season again then like I already said before what Leicester pull out is miracle. An impossible become possible but realistically at the start of season none expect Leicester to be able to pull out such a miracle season.

Lawman

What makes you think unproven players like Rojo, Darmian, Memphis and etc are expected to lead us to win the league?
What makes you think at the start of season that Blind is expected to be centre back that can win the league?
What makes you think that having 2 strikers only (Rooney and Martial) at the start of season are expected to lead us to win the league?
What makes you think a squad with less winning mentality are expected to win the league?
You are agree that our squad is the worst one in these 20 years. To be fair though, at the start of season Chelsea (though they turned into 180 degree) and City have a better squad than us so it is realistic to expect us getting 3rd or even if we are lucky 2nd place from the start of season. Even LVG wasn't expecting us to win the league at the start of season. The league itself is even harder right now as it is more competitive that the previous seasons.

And if you are trying to mention Leicester season again then like I already said before what Leicester pull out is miracle. An impossible become possible but realistically at the start of season none expect Leicester to be able to pull out such a miracle season.
I disagree that the league is harder its much easier than previous years. The standard is shocking. Yes we have our worst squad but so do the other top teams. The league was there for the taking as seen with Liverpool nearly winning it and Spurs coming close plus Leicster showing that we could have easily won the league. I thought Rojo would have done well as he was in a team that got to the wc final. Darmain is a seasoned italian international and Depay was being hailed as the best young talent in Europe. Bastian was a great player and still only 31 and Morgan was one of the best midfielders in the league over the last 2 seasons. I think you are way over stating saying it would be a miracle for us to challenge or win the league! Why not we are not that far away after a shite season we could easily turned around 3-4 games in a good season with this squad plus we have been unlucky with long term injuries.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
Nothing happens - Cya LVG. If we finish 3rd it's because City/Arsenal have messed it up. When you think of the points we've dropped just because we wouldn't attack teams....it's nuts.

NJM78

3rd place and FA cup winners.....Hopefully we still sack this arrogant, big headed excuse laden muppet of a manager.

I got a feeling we'll finish 5th and Palace will win the cup. A season of the chosen one followed by almost two with the cuckoo one has really quashed my positivity!

Mike09

I disagree that the league is harder its much easier than previous years. The standard is shocking. Yes we have our worst squad but so do the other top teams. The league was there for the taking as seen with Liverpool nearly winning it and Spurs coming close plus Leicster showing that we could have easily won the league. I thought Rojo would have done well as he was in a team that got to the wc final. Darmain is a seasoned italian international and Depay was being hailed as the best young talent in Europe. Bastian was a great player and still only 31 and Morgan was one of the best midfielders in the league over the last 2 seasons. I think you are way over stating saying it would be a miracle for us to challenge or win the league! Why not we are not that far away after a shite season we could easily turned around 3-4 games in a good season with this squad plus we have been unlucky with long term injuries.
How can you expect a team with such a less winning mentality players to be able to win the league? I could understand if City and Chelsea were expected to win it because they have more players with a winning mentality. And the others top teams have a better squad than they ever had in their last 10 years.
Arsenal have a better squad than they had in their last 3 years, Spurs have the best squad they ever had in the last 10 years, Everton have the best squad they ever had in the last 10 years, West Ham have the best squad they ever had in the last 10 years and so does Leicester. The league has been much more competitive than previous seasons means harder to win it. There are more teams are challenging the top 4 now and the match every weeks are not as easy as before.
You thought Rojo would have done well because you were deluded with his country Argentina got to WC final. What happened to Kleberson when we signed him? Even Sir Alex admitted that he was deluded with his performance in world cup in his book.
Darmian was seasoned Italian but to be true I am sure most of us have never heard about him before.
I watched Memphis a few games only last season and to be honest I don't get his hype. He was clearly still raw as he losses so many ball easily even at world cup and PSV. People were deluded with his number of goals. Fair enough if you think he was called as the best young talent in Europe but we can't be expected to win the league by signing one best young talent. He is just a young inexperience player. Not Robin van Persie!!
Bastian and Morgan are midfield. But look at our forwards and defenders first, we lost so many of them at the start of season and we replaced them with inexperience and unproven players. Being deluded with having Bastian and Morgan in midfield and think it's enough to win the league.

Injuries aren't a new things in EPL and we should have expected that.

Last edited:

Lawman

How can you expect a team with such a less winning mentality players to be able to win the league? I could understand if City and Chelsea were expected to win it because they have more players with a winning mentality. And the others top teams have a better squad than they ever had in their last 10 years.
Arsenal have a better squad than they had in their last 3 years, Spurs have the best squad they ever had in the last 10 years, Everton have the best squad they ever had in the last 10 years, West Ham have the best squad they ever had in the last 10 years and so does Leicester. The league has been much more competitive than previous seasons means harder to win it. There are more teams are challenging the top 4 now and the match every weeks are not as easy as before.
You thought Rojo would have done well because you were deluded with his country Argentina got to WC final. What happened to Kleberson when we signed him? Even Sir Alex admitted that he was deluded with his performance in world cup in his book.
Darmian was seasoned Italian but to be true I am sure most of us have never heard about him before.
I watched Memphis a few games only last season and to be honest I don't get his hype. He was clearly still raw as he losses so many ball easily even at world cup and PSV. People were deluded with his number of goals. Fair enough if you think he was called as the best young talent in Europe but we can't be expected to win the league by signing one best young talent. He is just a young inexperience player. Not Robin van Persie!!
Bastian and Morgan are midfield. But look at our forwards and defenders first, we lost so many of them at the start of season and we replaced them with inexperience and unproven players. Being deluded with having Bastian and Morgan in midfield and think it's enough to win the league.

Injuries aren't a new things in EPL and we should have expected that.
Feck me we should have just made you manager with such foresight! We have Smalling Jones DDG Carrick Rooney Valencia Young all with an abundance of epl titles between them plus we have players with European cup medals and World Cup medals/finals between them. Is that not enough experience? We also have guys like Blind and Herrera that have played in major tournaments for their previous clubs and in Blind and Rojo case countries. I'm starting to think you just can't see the woods for the trees. Yes I did think we had a shout at the league at the start of the season as many did was I deluded? I don't think so. I wonder if I asked you wether you would have took Del Alli over Depay in the summer? As I wouldn't have but now in hindsight yes I would. I think you are confused thinking we needed a miracle to either challenge for or to win the league.

Mike09

Feck me we should have just made you manager with such foresight! We have Smalling Jones DDG Carrick Rooney Valencia Young all with an abundance of epl titles between them plus we have players with European cup medals and World Cup medals/finals between them. Is that not enough experience? We also have guys like Blind and Herrera that have played in major tournaments for their previous clubs and in Blind and Rojo case countries. I'm starting to think you just can't see the woods for the trees. Yes I did think we had a shout at the league at the start of the season as many did was I deluded? I don't think so. I wonder if I asked you wether you would have took Del Alli over Depay in the summer? As I wouldn't have but now in hindsight yes I would. I think you are confused thinking we needed a miracle to either challenge for or to win the league.
Even to be realistic my experience and skills are not enough to lead us winning the league mate.

Chelsea and City have way more players with winning mentality. And only Smalling, DDG and Rooney are guarantee to be our starting eleven. And you still think we are expected to win the league at the start of season? if it's enough we would have done it last season but we finished 4th even when we still had more winning mentality than this season like Falcao, RVP, Evans, Di Maria, Rafael.
Let me ask you, are we winning the league right now? the fact is not. Why? Because we don't have players that can lead us to win the league. I will expect us to win it if Sir Alex Ferguson was in charge because he has proven us that he can pull out such a miracle for so many years with his genius tactic by having poor players. You are clearly admit the squad is the worst one but you are still thinking it is realistic that we can win the league with this squad. I am not confused with anything here because the fact is we are not winning the league right now. You are deluded with the fact that we can win the league with a poor squad and now blaming the injury and LVG because he is not Sir Alex Ferguson who was able to win the league with poor squad.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
It gives LVG a dignified exit, he should still go.
This 100% all day long. He's retiring after next year anyway. How can we plan long term with that in mind? Who will sign/extend contracts knowing the management will be changing after 12 months? With Conte and Guardiola coming in and Ranieri and Pochettino building on what they done this term, if we stick with van Gaal next season we won't stand a chance.

Lawman

Even to be realistic my experience and skills are not enough to lead us winning the league mate.

Chelsea and City have way more players with winning mentality. And only Smalling, DDG and Rooney are guarantee to be our starting eleven. And you still think we are expected to win the league at the start of season? if it's enough we would have done it last season but we finished 4th even when we still had more winning mentality than this season like Falcao, RVP, Evans, Di Maria, Rafael.
Let me ask you, are we winning the league right now? the fact is not. Why? Because we don't have players that can lead us to win the league. I will expect us to win it if Sir Alex Ferguson was in charge because he has proven us that he can pull out such a miracle for so many years with his genius tactic by having poor players. You are clearly admit the squad is the worst one but you are still thinking it is realistic that we can win the league with this squad. I am not confused with anything here because the fact is we are not winning the league right now. You are deluded with the fact that we can win the league with a poor squad and now blaming the injury and LVG because he is not Sir Alex Ferguson who was able to win the league with poor squad.
Nope your are making assumptions on your part. I thought at the start of the season we could have won the league as I thought it was a poor league. I stand by that, yes we are not great but i thought Darmain Rojo Bastian Morgan and Depay would have all been better. The fact is Rojo Darmain and Depay couldn't have been any worse. If those players all played to what I thought they would we wouldn't have been far away. The added fact of Shaw and his long term injury should not be over looked.
Next year I think with a change of manager and 3 quality signings and keeping what we have we should challenging again.

Mike09

Aren't you also making assumption that we can win the league?! There is no prove that these players can lead us to win the league and it was just assumption. Prediction is the same thing with making assumption.
I am reflecting of the experience and quality of the players we have that I was expecting 3rd place in the league at the start of season. But you were thinking that we can win it. You admitted we have the worst squad but also at the same time in our discussion you have been overhyping our players by saying that they were best young talent player, regular series A player, winning a world cup and signing 2 rated midfileders (schweinsteiger and Schneiderlin). You were deluded with all of these. It will take more than this to win it and even LVG knew it at the start of season.

Glanville95

Are you a Bournemouth supporter or MUFC.
If Bournemouth, I can understand that you feel you had an impressive season. Many would've put you down as a relegation candidate.
If you are a MUFC fan: in what way do you think we have had an impressive season? And where is the white text?
I'm a United fan.

As I said, achieving top four as well as a cup triumph would be a fairly good season for any club, but the football we've had to endure throughout the season has to be put into context as well as the performances of the other top sides.

And with that in mind, van Gaal can't possibly stay, as we've been atrocious to watch and would be around 7th in any other season. If you would have offered third and the FA Cup at the start of the season a lot would have taken it though.