What is our problem?

RedTillI'mDead

A Key Tool
I'm struggling to work out United this year. At times we are incisive in control and devastating and 4 goals seems like a norm, other days we lack cohesion, ambition, direction and generally seem absent minded.

Against City I think it's crystal clear. They are much better than us both in organisation, tactics and all round ability. Many of these are linked, I. E. Their passing game requires lots of technically comfortable and consistent players.

But the other games like today, what is it? Do we have the City big player mentality of a couple of years ago where players just don't have enough oomph to make it happen in some games, or it is the Mourinho negative mentality or are the players just seriously lacking consistency and does that really mean we just have too many average players who have moment of magic, rather than being magical players.

It's a hard one to work out. Sometimes we look maybe small tweaks away from being world class and other times we look like needing a whole new squad!

Pogba has had spells this year where the consistency has come, but as soon as that flow is disrupted he can become a bit absent.

Aside from De Gea who gives a 7/10+ every week, maybe Matic, but he probably slips to a 6/10 at times. Bailly I think maybe is at least a 7/10, a shame he is injured.

Who else? And how do we fix this? is it a case that maybe we just need more quality/ technical players to help the other players get better?

Rashford and Martial have moments but not enough.

We can't question the investment, plenty of players are flowing in, but it's been a while since I can remember us having a match winner that we could rely on.

Somehow though I don't have faith that one world class match winner would do it. It still feels like we just lack a collective spark as a cohesive unit.

So what do you guys think? Or our deficiencies only standing out because City are so good and games like today are just normal. I mean SAF certainly had a few shockers and the League Cup he barely ever bothered with.

Maybe it's too much to expect consistency and City are just in a moment which can just happen at times, e.g. Like Leicester except in this case supported by serious investment on top of a already well funded squad.

AshRK

Attitude. I just think some of our players totally forget the importance of playing for a club like Manchester United.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
I don't think we did enough in the Summer. We still have so much of Van Gaal's shite that needs shifting.

And yes as you said we just long for a serious match-winning player.

RedTillI'mDead

A Key Tool
Attitude. I just think some of our players totally forget the importance of playing for a club like Manchester United.
I hadn't thought of that, but maybe it's the lack of a captain. SAF always mentioned how Keane was like another manager on the pitch and similarly Schmeichel and to some extent Rooney.

Right now I'd struggle to even say who our captain is!

And maybe some of the attitude issues are a lack of manager longevity or maybe the managers ability to energise. Mourinho sometimes seems a bit passive in a similar way to Wenger and both have certainly been more energised in the past. This must have some effect.

But then even Mourinho has days where he seems full of beans and others where there is noting and maybe that is having an influence. Maybe Mourinho needs more sleep!

Castia

Too many mediocre players around the squad. We’ve spent an absolute fortune and the side is bang average it’s a fecking disgrace.

We need a massive clear out the dead wood around the squad is a real concern. I’d sell atleast 5 of our players and 2-3 others should be squad players at best.

cyberman

The problem is putting too much stock on a result that had 10 changes from the game before.

Our squad is so bloated that it doesn't register, if City or Chelsea make 10 changes then it shows but when we do it it still looks like our first 11 because Jose has been managing and utilising a broken squad.

Who else cries that their reserve fullbacks aren't good enough? Or that our side who had 2 players miss 8 months each, a midfielder who has played a handful of games in 4 months and a LB who has hardly played at all for a year lacks intensity?

Litch

Simple. Technically no way good enough. We play waiting for teams to make mistakes rather than playing to win. We'll do ok against most teams and won't lose many but when it counts, we don't have the ability to beat the top teams. When I watch MUTV and see the quality of our previous teams, you realise how far we have fallen. It's been said but only a Pogba or DDG, would make some of those teams of old.

MancunianAngels

Supports
FC United
We are 3/4 players away from being world class. We're in a similar position to 90-92 and 04-06, the issue is those players are hard to find. Vidic, Evra and Carrick were understated signings at the time but in 2006, they gave the team a balance.

Rashford and Martial are at the same stage in their development as Ronaldo/Rooney were pre 2006. Will they make that big step up? Hard to tell at the moment.

Other main problems:
The lack of cover for Valencia.
The lack of cover for Pogba/Matic, the midfield goes to shit when one/both are missing. In essence, we need an upgrade on Herrera.
A coherent strategy on and off the pitch. This is something that goes back a few years (some would say as far back as June 2009). For all the talk of investment, a lot has been wasted.

RedTillI'mDead

A Key Tool
We are 3/4 players away from being world class. We're in a similar position to 90-92 and 04-06, the issue is those players are hard to find. Vidic, Evra and Carrick were understated signings at the time but in 2006, they gave the team a balance.

Rashford and Martial are at the same stage in their development as Ronaldo/Rooney were pre 2006. Will they make that big step up? Hard to tell at the moment.

Other main problems:
The lack of cover for Valencia.
The lack of cover for Pogba/Matic, the midfield goes to shit when one/both are missing. In essence, we need an upgrade on Herrera.
A coherent strategy on and off the pitch. This is something that goes back a few years (some would say as far back as June 2009). For all the talk of investment, a lot has been wasted.
Have to agree about wasted investment. How many players have we signed in probably 10 years that you can say are 7/10+ players every week. Even Van Persie only managed it for one season.

Inconsistency is strange, Herrera was our player of the season last year. So what's happened with him!

I think the fact De Gea was player of the season for the 3 years before that says something about our signings!

Crashoutcassius

I'm struggling to work out United this year. At times we are incisive in control and devastating and 4 goals seems like a norm, other days we lack cohesion, ambition, direction and generally seem absent minded.

Against City I think it's crystal clear. They are much better than us both in organisation, tactics and all round ability. Many of these are linked, I. E. Their passing game requires lots of technically comfortable and consistent players.

But the other games like today, what is it? Do we have the City big player mentality of a couple of years ago where players just don't have enough oomph to make it happen in some games, or it is the Mourinho negative mentality or are the players just seriously lacking consistency and does that really mean we just have too many average players who have moment of magic, rather than being magical players.

It's a hard one to work out. Sometimes we look maybe small tweaks away from being world class and other times we look like needing a whole new squad!

Pogba has had spells this year where the consistency has come, but as soon as that flow is disrupted he can become a bit absent.

Aside from De Gea who gives a 7/10+ every week, maybe Matic, but he probably slips to a 6/10 at times. Bailly I think maybe is at least a 7/10, a shame he is injured.

Who else? And how do we fix this? is it a case that maybe we just need more quality/ technical players to help the other players get better?

Rashford and Martial have moments but not enough.

We can't question the investment, plenty of players are flowing in, but it's been a while since I can remember us having a match winner that we could rely on.

Somehow though I don't have faith that one world class match winner would do it. It still feels like we just lack a collective spark as a cohesive unit.

So what do you guys think? Or our deficiencies only standing out because City are so good and games like today are just normal. I mean SAF certainly had a few shockers and the League Cup he barely ever bothered with.

Maybe it's too much to expect consistency and City are just in a moment which can just happen at times, e.g. Like Leicester except in this case supported by serious investment on top of a already well funded squad.
Very simple - If we go goals up we get open space and can score. If we don't then we dont. Temptation is to overcomplicate this but there is no need

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
But what's the cause? Why is it lacking do you think?

Lack of respect for the club? The manager? The coaching staff? Just their personalities? The list is endless. Could be all of the above.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
Today seemed like sheer arrogance and complacency. Just far too chilled even in the last three minutes, ambling about thinking that extra time is a good thing.

RedTillI'mDead

A Key Tool
Very simple - If we go goals up we get open space and can score. If we don't then we dont. Temptation is to overcomplicate this but there is no need
But surely good teams find a way? Some games we don't even look like having a clue how to even find a way!

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Correct.

Mourinho: “It was another day in the office and for some of our players they probably didn't even want to come into the office today.

And that should be the last time they ever be in a Man Utd squad again. We need to weed those players out and cut them out like a cancer. It's ruining our club.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Problems? We have many, but my Top 3 would be

1. High Fan expectations. It's not end of the world if we don't win anything and/or finish outside top 4. Get back to your consoles!
2. Not spending enough money. Eddie Woodie has been skimping and we've not spent enough. We need to up our spending!
3. Not getting rid of David De Gea. Come on, he manages couple of good saves...that would never be needed, if we had decent defence ahead of the keeper. Sell him to Real and use money to fund a decent defensive line. Romero is good enough!

Broad Street Bullies

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Our players aren't mentally strong enough. Some of these would never have been signed by SAF for that exact reason.

IrishRedDevil

1. High Fan expectations. It's not end of the world if we don't win anything and/or finish outside top 4. Get back to your consoles!
2. Not spending enough money. Eddie Woodie has been skimping and we've not spent enough. We need to up our spending!
3. Not getting rid of David De Gea. Come on, he manages couple of good saves...that would never be needed, if we had decent defence ahead of the keeper. Sell him to Real and use money to fund a decent defensive line. Romero is good enough!
I think this is the worst thing I've ever read.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
In a normal season we would be fine. But, with the title race already over this was one of our only realistic chance at a trophy this season.

JoaquinJoaquin

It's a mixture of these things:

- Too many inconsistent starters in the team. You will never win the league when you have too many of those players in the starting 11.

- Overrated / Mediocre players. You could make a case for pretty much 12 - 13 of those in our squad of 25 players. Top teams don't have that many passengers.

- Bad Investment. Simply wasted far too much money on players I described above.

- Bad scouting. What do our scouts do exactly?

AkaAkuma&

Outdated Tactics or even lack of tactics. For example United were one of the best, if not the best, at attacking down the flanks, stretching the game to create spaces to attack. But right now except for parking the Bus, I do not see any other tactics that is being executed.

Velvet Revolver

These are my reasons for our loss today

1. Team selection: Too many players coming in without having played a game in at least 3-5 matches - if this was the case i rather he played the youth team at least they would show some energy

2. Full backs didn't provide any width. I don't remember seeing Darmian crossing the half way line

3. Too many mistakes while making decisive passes ( i guess you can blame that for point #1)

4. Substitutions were not inspiring. Bringing Mikhi on who was not in the squad for 10 straight games!! what is Jose expecting him to do?

5. Team balance is all over the place - I guess we had two strikers playing as wingers so it was natural to be more compact, we could have stretched them if Point #2 would have worked.

6. Bristol city players knew exactly what to do -> do not give the midfield any space and they did well.

We seem to be dragging ourselves into unfavourable positions. There was no energy in some players while Martial and Rashford didn't use their energy in the right way.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW

Please tell me you are wumming.

AndyJ1985

Too many mediocre players and a lack of coaching. We don't play like a well coached team anyway.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
We have no leaders.

Zlatan and Pogba may be good characters but I wouldn't class them as leaders.

Compare our squad to some of Fergies, Robson, Keane, Neville, Rio, shit even the likes of Beckham, Evra, were far better leaders who demanded a level of performance from their team mates. We don't have anyone doing that now.

Not saying thats the one answer but its definitely a major factor.

royboy16

The moon gave me flowers for funerals to come.
Could be a an accumulation of things.
Were still rebuilding,
Square pegs in round hole players,
Finding Space and Movement(lack of) Certain players such as Pogba and Matic get about and find the space and pick up good positions.I don't think too many players in this team that can do this and are a bit predictable.
We don't have an on field captain/leader - just like Arsenal :)

RedTillI'mDead

A Key Tool
It's a mixture of these things:

- Too many inconsistent starters in the team. You will never win the league when you have too many of those players in the starting 11.

- Overrated / Mediocre players. You could make a case for pretty much 12 - 13 of those in our squad of 25 players. Top teams don't have that many passengers.

- Bad Investment. Simply wasted far too much money on players I described above.

- Bad scouting. What do our scouts do exactly?
Damn good point on scouting. When did we last sign a young talent in the 18-23 category who isn't from the top few teams in the top few leagues?

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
People long for the days of Fergie... I actually think we’re pretty close to a Fergie team right now.

Shez

Players don't give a 110%... just look at Leicester's league win, or dare I say even our own last title... if players give their all every single game it would make up for a lack of quality (if any) over the course of a season. Too many times I find myself urging players on the screen to give a shit. Whatever happened to throwing the kitchen sink at the oppos