Gaming What is the greatest video game console of all time?

weetee

Supports
no-one in particular
N64 - simply for the fact it came at a time I could FULLY enjoy playing GoldenEye, MarioKart and Fifa local 4players without any hassle. Nothing more was needed. Turok and Perfect Dark made for more great FPS.
Dreamcast was amazing too but also very limited.

SuperiorXI

N64 - simply for the fact it came at a time I could FULLY enjoy playing GoldenEye, MarioKart and Fifa local 4players without any hassle. Nothing more was needed. Turok and Perfect Dark made for more great FPS.
Dreamcast was amazing too but also very limited.

weetee

Supports
no-one in particular
To be clear: by fully embrace I meant smoking weed, drinking booze with my friends while playing Mario Kart64 or GE. Didn't watch that clip but I doubt they put that aspect much into their PR focus.

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses
They are all brilliant. From my very first Atari to NES C64 Amiga Spectrum every system was good and ground breaking at the time and I was lucky enough to have owned most of them at some point.

My favourite of all Ive owned was the original NES and the Neo Geo Pocket colour, a handheld that was ahead of its time, howvere the most fun innovative ones were the Nintendo’s.

SNES and Megadrive were the best for simple fun and were the first consoles where all your friends had one.

I think the N64 had the best mix of games even to this day.

PS2 took them from kids toys to something for everybody.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
PSX was everything, it had all the glamour and in the same time was like a classic 8/16 bit console, meaning giving birth to entire franchises, not to mention cult rave / metal soundtracks.

Wing Commander III and IV starring Mike Hamill was big as Star Wars itself. It had titles from PC like Warcraft II, Dark Forces or Syndicate Wars and it's Japanese region games was a gold mine on it's own.

Personally for me Psygnosis releasing Wipeout III SE for European market was edging above PC gaming at the time. Demo discs helped get into particular game genres before buying and it was awesome too.

It's gotta be PSX, going into three dimensions was the real revolution, not the shitty raytracing or 100GB games that still feel dead and devoided of content.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
SNES was the peak of 2D with a great selection of games and PS1 was the birth of proper 3D with some banging new franchises. Must be one if these two. Have fond memories of both.

PS1 might edge it because I had the capability to buy games instead of relying as much on my parents to buy them for me.

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
These are what I owned

Master System
Mega Drive
PS1
PS2
PS3
PS4
Switch
XBoxseriesx

MS was the second choice gift, the jump to mega was great.

PS1, aftear playing Tony Hawk the first time I felt games junped, and then it's evolution from then on. PS1 wins for me. TOCA wasn't a bad racing game.

Last edited:

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass

Brings back memories.
Yea brings back memories alright. Resident evil and dino crisis. Toca racing.

Then i got the PS2 when it came out with Grand Theft Auto Vice City - still the best game i have every played. I couldnt stop playing it.

Gavinb33

SNES or Megadrive for me they were my teenage years memories loved them both probably just nostalgia more than anything.

Reality was probably the PS2 I remember getting it home and playing Timesplitters 2 iirc with my friends and thinking this is a long way from the Megadrive

Sara125

GameCube is up there for me for (the first) Luigi’s mansion and Mario Kart double dash alone. Also have to give a shout-out to the switch- an absolute game changer (no pun intended) and I reckon it’ll go down in history as one of the best consoles of all time.

Chip

In order for me:
PS2
N64
PS1
X360
PS4

As many have stated before, the leaps from generation to generations have become less significant.
Step up from PS1/N64 to PS2 seemed massive at the time. Jumping from PS2 to Xbox 360 was quite big as well. X360 to PS4 less so, PS4 to PS5 even less.

Red Rash

GameCube is up there for me for (the first) Luigi’s mansion and Mario Kart double dash alone. Also have to give a shout-out to the switch- an absolute game changer (no pun intended) and I reckon it’ll go down in history as one of the best consoles of all time.
GameCube was a very good and underrated console. It has some great games like Zelda Windwaker, RE4, Smash Bros, Metroid, Eternal Darkness and Timesplitters 2 being some of my favourites. Also the controller was fantastic.

That being said I'd say N64, SNES then GameCube in that order for Nintendo consoles and yes this is very much nostalgia driven.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
PSX. It was the perfect balance between legit aestethic revolution, while still keeping in touch with 2D pixel art gaming through tons of games also from arcade & 8/16 bit consoles... and don't forget the rave / metal soundtracks which were cult classic CD albums on their own.

FattyFooty

I will go ps1.

When it came it was just insane.

Just imagine how good they could make games on it. Tekken 3 for example, it was worlds apart from what prior consoles could have done.

It also had Tekken 1, Wipeout, Destruction darby, Ridge racer all very early in ps 1 lifespan.

miked99

No love for the Philips Videopac? :D

I've had/got all these and loved them all:

Philips Videopac
Acorn Electron
Commodore 64
Sega Megadrive
Nintendo 64
Playstation 1
Sega Dreamcast
Playstation 2
Nintendo Gamecube
XBOX 360
Playstation 3
Nintendo Wii
Nintendo WiiU
Badass Gaming PC
Nintendo Switch

I think the biggest "whoa" moment for me was seeing Sonic the Hedgehog on the Megadrive. The graphics, the colour, the speed of movement, the gameplay, the music, the crispness of the audio, it was a jaw-dropping moment that stayed with me. I think in terms of giant leaps, that for me was the biggest one. Goldeneye on the N64 and Metroid Prime on the Gamecube were other moments that lingered long in the memory, also Wipeout on the Playstation 1.

Overall though, I'd give it to the XBOX360. I think the X360 and the PS3 were the golden era of gaming. The catalogues for those systems are the deepest and best of all time. You could buy either as a second hand console right now and enjoy an incredible variety of titles for an absolute pittance. I loved both, but without wishing to start the console equivalent of Ronaldo vs Messi I'd give it to the 360 as cross-platform games generally ran better on it.

Unam333

GameCube was a very good and underrated console. It has some great games like Zelda Windwaker, RE4, Smash Bros, Metroid, Eternal Darkness and Timesplitters 2 being some of my favourites. Also the controller was fantastic.

That being said I'd say N64, SNES then GameCube in that order for Nintendo consoles and yes this is very much nostalgia driven.
I didn't like the D-pad though. Too small and very hard to press. I also didn't like the button layout, for example the Z-button. I much rather have the N64 controller with the Z-button at the back.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Oh and by the way, which console was a pioneer in giving more serious opportunity to compose your own techno/rave/house music and basically allowing to make your own mixtapes / albums ?

PSX from the jilted generation. :cool:

Red Rash

I didn't like the D-pad though. Too small and very hard to press. I also didn't like the button layout, for example the Z-button. I much rather have the N64 controller with the Z-button at the back.
Oh really, I thought it was pretty universally accepted as a great controller. The problem with the N64 controller was that it wasn't very ergonomic. I remember playing International Track and Field and one of the events (maybe hammer throw) you had to spin the joystick in circles as quickly as possible and it was a guaranteed way for blistered fingers.

The GameCube controller was much more ergonomic and I remember the shoulder buttons in particular being super nice. That being said it's been a while since I've played it.

Unam333

Oh really, I thought it was pretty universally accepted as a great controller. The problem with the N64 controller was that it wasn't very ergonomic. I remember playing International Track and Field and one of the events (maybe hammer throw) you had to spin the joystick in circles as quickly as possible and it was a guaranteed way for blistered fingers.

The GameCube controller was much more ergonomic and I remember the shoulder buttons in particular being super nice. That being said it's been a while since I've played it.
The Gamecube controller felt really comfortable, but I couldn't play Soul Calibur II with the D-pad. I also always mixed up the X and Y button, because the letters X and Y are grey, just like the kidney-shaped buttons.