What is the most delusional thing you have ever heard or said yourself?

Eboue

nasty little twerp with crazy bitter-man opinions
I'm typing this with my Glock 19 two feet from me
At youth level there was a point where I believed that Lingard wasn't far from Pogba's potential level.
- I told a colleague that Memphis looked like the real deal in his first pre-season

- I predicted England would win World Cup 2014
Stekelenburg just seemed the safest choice to replace VDS...
I thought Januzaj was a generational sort of talent that would have some sort of Ozil-like influence at the club. Maybe under another manager it might have worked, but it looks ridiculous in hindsight.

We’re all guilty of talking shite. I’ve lost count of how many times I’ve been hopelessly wrong about a player.
I was convinced Kagawa and Depay would be great for us.

People that thought Rooney could play midfield or just needed to be played as a striker or needed to play as a 10 or needed pace around him for those last few years were the height of delusion.
thats wild

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Carrick is the type of player that isn't valued by English football traditionally. He isn't aggressive, he doesn't score goals, his work rate doesn't stand out, he's not an outstanding athlete. His qualities are more subtle. It's a cultural thing that we haven't appreciated players like Carrick, who was really a bit like Xavi, although obviously not as good. So I don't think you're the only one that had that blind spot.
I agree with you, generally but I’m not English and I’ve always appreciated these types of players immensely :drool:

But my love for Carrick was like a red wine....it improved with time :drool:

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I thought Mourinho would win the title and CL with us. Always thought he would look good as a manager here.

United58

Hargreaves was a top player and he and Carrick should have been England’s long term central midfield after 2006 to be fair.
Hargreaves' dynamism and Carrick's vision :drool:

I thought Sunderland would finish 7th the season Roy Keane got them promoted to the Premier League.

I thought Fraizer Campbell and Wayne Rooney would be a brilliant partnership for us.

I was convinced Ravel Morrison would be class for us... :(

Cloud7

I posted some stupidly pro Mourinho stuff during his first season here. I was so sure that he was going to be a success with us, that literally the slightest negative thing that was posted about him, I would respond and shout it down.

I read through a few of my posts during that era, and I truly have no idea what came over me. I found it truly hard to believe I was reading my own posts.

Robertd0803

I once heard an idiot Liverpool fan on a train claim they were top of the league because they had scored "an away point".
This was after the opening game of the 06/07 season (12.45 Saturday kickoff) where Liverpool drew 1-1 away to Sheffield United after Gerrard dived to win a penalty.

I have heard some nonsense (and said plenty daft things myself) but I dont think any thing will ever top that.

United58

You need to share a little bit. Surely at some point you believed in someone like Gibbs or Coquelin.
Christ, my Arsenal supporting friend predicted Chamakh top scorer in 2009/10, proclaimed Clichy the best left back on the planet (and Evra was always starting ahead of him for France haha) and had very high hopes on Jay Emmanuel Thomas and Frimpong.

He's the Arsenal version of a Liverpool supporter :lol:

Owen06

I thought memphis depay was by far a better player than Anthony martial.
I thought ravel morrison would wake up one day and change his life style.
I actually thought lingard was the English Iniesta.
Just a week ago, I thought Paul Pogba would never change his hairdo.

Deep down I still feel ridiculous.

Last edited by a moderator:

Maccataq

I used to think Wes Brown was better than Ferdinand before we signed him.

I thought Phil Jones was going to be world class...to be fair maybe he would have been had he been able to stay fit but now I wish we would just sell him.

Mr Smith

I was convinced our football under Van Gaal was only boring because he was trying to improve us defensively after getting mauled by Leicester the previous year. I maintained we'd eventually come good under him until about 2 months before he was sacked.

Probably my craziest opinion was that I felt we shouldn't sign Van Persie as he'd disrupt the potential of the Rooney/Kagawa partnership :nervous:

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I convinced myself that Mourinho would be a changed man for the United job and adapt to our way of football, I was a tad wrong.

BalanceUnAutreJoint

Back in 2010 I was convinced Neymar would surpass Cristiano and perhaps even reach Messi.

Then again a lot of people were calling Neymar a youtube player who would flop in Europe and putting the likes of Gotze as better than him.

I was closer to being right than them ...

Ultimate Grib

Supports
LA Galaxy
I constantly read people saying Smalling is one of the best defenders in the league and can walk into the first teams of top 6. :houllier:

syrian_scholes

Honorary Straw Hat
Before the last final vs Barcelon I said we are better in all positions except midfield, and tbf Rooney, Nani, and Valencia were exceptional that season.

Charles Miller

When i was 10, 12 i had an excellent first touch, ball control and could do a lot of tricks. So i used to say that i would be as good as Maradona. When i actually tried to play outside my neighborhood i was awful with zero spacial orientation and sometimes would run with the ball out of the pitch.

Normandy

Supports
Montreal Impact
At one point I thought Nigel Reo-Coker would become the next Keane.
Perhaps at screaming and pointing fingers. Bloke was hopeless here otherwise.

It's weird because I remember him being decent for Bolton in their relegation season. He used his relegation release clause believing himself to be too good for the Championship and he never played in the top flight again. Ended up in Canada where he initially did well but went to shit quick which resulted in failed moves to Chivas USA and then ourselves.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
I watched Bartley in 3 or 4 reserve games early on at Swansea and was convinced he would be a great cb and Arsenal had made a massive mistake.

I've probably said much worse but I shared this opinion with plenty of mates as I was so adamant he'd be an England international, so it sticks out in my memory and comes up as a stick to beat me with every now and then.

Thought Borini would be a regular for a top side at some point when he was on loan at Swansea.

As for heard, these are from the same poster (who is usually pretty good) but has a real problem with Van Dijk

No chance is Van Dijk top 5. He is terrible, seems to get over rated by pundits for a few reasons. 1 he plays for Liverpool, 2 he is good with the ball, 3 his £75m price tag.
He always has a mistake in him and because Liverpool are always attacking and mainly in the opponents half they rarely have to defend. Put him in this United team and he would be no better than Lindelof Bailly or Smalling.
Swap VVD for Alderweireld or Vertonghen and Liverpool would still be top. Seeing people say he is the only reason they are top is stupid. Most of the Liverpool strongest 11 are to do with it also. Their attack and way they play is a major factor.
Pool’s defence and GK are worse than ours. VVD is over rated and quite shaky, he isn’t better than Smalling or Bailly. He is better on the ball but defensively nah.
All the top clubs in Europe were circling Laporte, and he ended up going to the best team in England.

No one was really circling VVD hence the reason he went to Liverpool and not a top club.

Otamendi was in PL team of the season last season so pipe down. He was a rock last season and is superior to VVD.

(When asked if VVD isn't good why did so many rate him)
Because people are easily swayed by media hype and pundit hype when half of the pundits are ex Liverpool players and the other half are failed managers. That along with his high price tag and Fifa/FM rating and the average fan such as on here will have you believe he is a great CB. He is bang average.

nickyboy1981

I told myself and anyone who was around me in the pub at the time that I would never slag Wellbeck off again, or for that matter have a bad word said about him ever again. This was after he had the game of his life against Madrid at the Bernabeu a good few years back.

Last edited:

Himannv

I firmly believed that Ryan Tunnicliffe was better than Pogba and Morrison. He seemed like the player that allowed the other two to attack more and I thought all three would make the step up together.

dann496

• Eric Djemba-Djemba will be our next Keane. I even make sure to keep using him while playing FIFA
  • Giuseppe Rossi will replace RvN
  • Rooney is better than Ronaldo....

Toad

Madnes Pogba couldn't get a game, when our midfield going crying out for a class cm, and we had the hottest prospect in the world itching to get some games and prove himself.

I also had a period I believed Clevery was the natural heir to Scholes.
That time Rafael played in midfield ahead of him :nervous:

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
I really thought Igor Biscan was going to be a top class box to box midfielder for us.

Also was quite sure Stephen Wright would nail down the rightback spot for us for a decade.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
I genuinely thought Mourinho was hard done by, but then his obvious sabotage changed my mind. And Ole's record of course.

Toad

I thought Kerim Frei was going to be world class for some reason.

haram

When I was younger I couldn't understand why SAF would always pick Park. I soon understood why though.

Trizy

James Wilson will be one of our greatest PL strikers.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
I thought our (Germany's) last gasp winning goal against Sweden would be the spark to ignite our world cup campaign.
(Well, it did go up in flames..)

Steve Bruce

I thought Massimo Maccarone was going to be a world class striker when I seen him play in the European or World championship for the U21s and prayed United would sign him and then Middlesbrough did.:houllier:

MetoTTT

I was behind Moyes when he was appointed. Jose then Pep were my first choices, but I thought Moyes would do well.

I thought Schneiderlin would be great for us

I was Jose in until the Liverpool game. So were the board, it turned out.
Same here.
+ Da Silva twins will make it here
+ Anderson will be electric for us
+ Mou will do great his "dream" job
+ We'll win an EPL with LVG when he got the job