What is wrong with the way we play?

AndySmith1990

I think there are two main issues that prevent us from playing like a well drilled team.

Firstly we have a number of players who are thick. The decision making kills so many promising opportunities. This can't be coached. They're simply stupid.

Secondly there are too many players with the wrong attitude or mentality. Whether it's Rashford thinking he's a superstar and man one team, or Sancho who is weak as piss and not willing to fight, it's prohibiting us from being a team.

I think the root cause of the second point is money. We pay far too much far too soon. The wages most of this lot are earning should've been reserved until they'd won the league.

We won't get close to playing the way Ten Hag (or any other manager) envisages until we have a group of players ready to play for each other and give 100%, even when things aren't going their way.

tomaldinho1

We have has better under Solskjaer IMO. There was firstly his initial spell during his interim period, then there was what I think was probably the best before and straight after lockdown. Then there were just more memorable performances like dominating City away or PSG away.

If we take away everything we want Ten Hag to be from our minds, he has not bettered those levels IMO. Crucially under Ole, these best spells actually involved us putting the ball in the net too, not just passing the ball at the back. Our attack was feared by all in the league.

What we needed was for the coach after him to take us a step or two forward from those levels, mainly improving the midfield work and control. Ten Hag has done none of those things, although bizzarely, he seems to think he has and he goes into press conferences after being outplayed insisting his team played well.
I feel like this is rose tinting the past. The interim period with Ole we played a run of games almost designed for a new manager, the Spurs game 2nd half (a game we somehow won) was honestly just as bad from a performance perspective as what we’ve seen this season. Then the run slowly petered out and we had the worst end to a season I can remember.

If you step back and assess, things haven’t really changed that much since Mourinho until this season where there’s a clear plan to play out from the back. It is a start, it is the only we we will get to the level to compete with the top teams because you simply can’t just play direct counter attack and win trophies unless you get a huge amount of luck.

ETH has built a strong CL team before, yes you can point to there being a DoF but he’s renowned as a coach and it’s fair to say he’s the first manager who seems to actually have improved players and his signing were good last season. There is still a lot of mess to clear out (Varane as much as I like him, Sancho, Maguire, McT, VdB, Martial) none of these are his fault and he’s done well already to shift other problem players and overpaid earners.

The club have asked him to come in and be strict because of the lax attitude before. There will be growing pains but the key is we remain competitive in this tumultuous period. I think we will be ok, I see nothing in other teams to be scared of - as it stands I think we’ll finish 4th behind City, Pool and Ars - there’s a lot around the same level but we’ve had a lot of injuries and absentees.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I feel like this is rose tinting the past. The interim period with Ole we played a run of games almost designed for a new manager, the Spurs game 2nd half (a game we somehow won) was honestly just as bad from a performance perspective as what we’ve seen this season. Then the run slowly petered out and we had the worst end to a season I can remember.

If you step back and assess, things haven’t really changed that much since Mourinho until this season where there’s a clear plan to play out from the back. It is a start, it is the only we we will get to the level to compete with the top teams because you simply can’t just play direct counter attack and win trophies unless you get a huge amount of luck.

ETH has built a strong CL team before, yes you can point to there being a DoF but he’s renowned as a coach and it’s fair to say he’s the first manager who seems to actually have improved players and his signing were good last season. There is still a lot of mess to clear out (Varane as much as I like him, Sancho, Maguire, McT, VdB, Martial) none of these are his fault and he’s done well already to shift other problem players and overpaid earners.

The club have asked him to come in and be strict because of the lax attitude before. There will be growing pains but the key is we remain competitive in this tumultuous period. I think we will be ok, I see nothing in other teams to be scared of - as it stands I think we’ll finish 4th behind City, Pool and Ars - there’s a lot around the same level but we’ve had a lot of injuries and absentees.
I don’t think it’s rose tinting at all. After all, we did finish second, that actually happened, and we did it while looking like we could score a goal or two. These things happened. These things don’t make Ole Sir Alex, but they do mean he is very entitled to say that this team is not better than his. There was a clear difference between Jose and Ole. The same who turned on Ole and threw him under the bus as soon as their eyes foxed on their Dutch Messiah probably spent two years singing ‘Ole’s got United playing the way they should, something tells me I’m on to something good’. Ten Hag has not shown he can construct an attack at this level.

What Ten Hag has done at Ajax is of little relevance to me now. It’s clear that he can’t translate that over here. We look a million miles from an Ajax team, despite having their manager and half their former players! The ‘mess’ he has to clear out is no different from any other club. How can we be saying that we’re shit because of VDB, Maguire, McTominay etc - players he doesn’t play? They are not even causing any problems, they are just not good enough and as a result do not get in the team. That’s like listing Kalvin Phillips or Nicholas Pepe as reasons why Pep or Arteta apparently can’t do their jobs. Other players do instead, invariably ones he signed for big money. He’s had injuries, who hasn’t? Brighton came with half their first team and played us off the park.

Liverpool were comfortably worse than us last season, yet you have accepted from the beginning that it’s okay that we’ll ‘probably finish behind them’. A Liverpool team we could go and create an arbitrary ‘list’ of excuses for just as you have done for ours. They’ve lost an entire midfield, they have had injuries, their forwards are new and whatever other way we could spin it. We need to stop making excuses for Ten Hag. Just do your fecking job.

Last edited:

mk7

What I simply cannot get in my head is that teams with much cheaper players (mind: not worse players) comfortably are able to implement a coherent style regardless of being all players brought in by the same coach.

Either our squad really is un-coachable or ten Hag really isn't the man for the job. Seeing them chasing goals on Saturday you really have to wonder what they are doing during the week? True, it does not help that players that should form the core of the team are playing well below the expected standards (Casemiro being the main culprit) or the constant mess off the pitch.

They sometimes remind me of my old Sunday League team where we just got together to play the game and sometimes looked good because some of the players could really play but mostly looked quite disjointed - you don't have to pay a bunch of coaches to achieve this result ....

Gordon Godot

I don’t think it’s rose tinting at all. After all, we did finish second, that actually happened, and we did it while looking like we could score a goal or two. These things happened. These things don’t make Ole Sir Alex, but they do mean he is very entitled to say that this team is not better than his. There was a clear difference between Jose and Ole. The same who turned on Ole and threw him under the bus as soon as their eyes foxed on their Dutch Messiah probably spent two years singing ‘Ole’s got United playing the way they should, something tells me I’m on to something good’. Ten Hag has not shown he can construct an attack at this level.

What Ten Hag has done at Ajax is of little relevance to me now. It’s clear that he can’t translate that over here. We look a million miles from an Ajax team, despite having their manager and half their former players! The ‘mess’ he has to clear out is no different from any other club. How can we be saying that we’re shit because of VDB, Maguire, McTominay etc - players he doesn’t play? They are not even causing any problems, they are just not good enough and as a result do not get in the team. That’s like listing Kalvin Phillips or Nicholas Pepe as reasons why Pep or Arteta apparently can’t do their jobs. Other players do instead, invariably ones he signed for big money. He’s had injuries, who hasn’t? Brighton came with half their first team and played us off the park.

Liverpool were comfortably worse than us last season, yet you have accepted from the beginning that it’s okay that we’ll ‘probably finish behind them’. A Liverpool team we could go and create an arbitrary ‘list’ of excuses for just as you have done for ours. They’ve lost an entire midfield, they have had injuries, their forwards are new and whatever other way we could spin it. We need to stop making excuses for Ten Hag. Just do your fecking job.
There are two problems. The biggest is not just the owners but the rank amateurs they appoint to run the club and the football structure. The other is that since Fergie left we have appointed poor managers or that that were over the hill. Ole inherited some very good players and for a period got them playing well, but only a sit deep and break approach that was quickly found out. His refusal to strengthen his coaching staff and then some terrible signings cost him. I fear ETH will be gone by Xmas unless he can rapidly turn things around, but I think too many of his signigs are now part of the problem.

Hughie77

Rashford had so so many chances v Brighton and he wasted them all, one were a curling effort would have been better, he leathers it past the post ffs.. I just hope he's not another UTD player whos head has got to big.. CM not picking up runners last season Casimero was onto them.

Kaos

Rashford had so so many chances v Brighton and he wasted them all, one were a curling effort would have been better, he leathers it past the post ffs.. I just hope he's not another UTD player whos head has got to big.. CM not picking up runners last season Casimero was onto them.
Someone either on here or the United reddit page made a good point - the manager needs to be just as ruthless on the pitch as he is off it. It's all good and dandy phasing Sancho out of the squad for being a petulant nob, as it was dropping Rashford for being late, but the manager also needs to hook off or drop Rashford for how selfish he's been on the pitch until he gets the message. Likewise for underperformers like Casemiro.

Redstain

This is the biggest issue on field. The difference between Brighton's identity to United is stark. They play a front foot attacking game with far less resources and a squad total that didn't exceed 50M. I've only witnessed United play a good basis of football for probably 3 games under ETH just before the winter break last season.

I think the idea is that United hire the manager on the premise of what he's shown at Ajax yet what's being delivered is almost the total opposite. I also don't think it's a situation where the players aren't capable of maintaining the managers vision because the post game comments from the manager convey that he's pleased to some extent with what he's seeing.

grahamo

Players who are not the brightest stars in the sky. I think an IQ of above 125 should be mandatory for anyone playing for this club. You can't polish a turd. Coaching just isn't going to work. The main problem is the idiotic owners who currently have the club in Limbo. I would not like to work there at the moment. There must be incredible uncertainty and low morale around the whole of the club.

SER19

We're absolutely dreadful off the ball. I dont understand tactics intricately enough to know how to fix it, but I know enough to see an enormous difference between us and most other teams in the league when out of position. Unless we have set up from the start in a low block, we look utterly clueless on what to do out of possession, especially once we lose it. We are cut through so easily, we lose runners, we never seem to have any decent pressure on. We look like such a simple team to play against

tomaldinho1

This still smacks to me of rose tinting the past. United under Jose and Ole really weren’t that different from Jose season 2 until Ole’s sacking, we played the same system, were reliant on direct balls, willingly sacrificed any attempt to build possession in advanced areas - the personnel changed and the quality of players ebbed and flowed but we never built an organised press, never could pass out from the back and never built possession in advanced areas. ETH basically did the same as they did last season as well, it’s effective when you have a stacked squad because it’s low risk and defensive. It will, however, win you absolutely nothing at the highest level.

The fact you say ETH’s Ajax tenure means nothing to you reeks to me of someone with at least some bias. That is exactly what should be relevant to any fan when assessing a coach - have they done it previously? Is it recent? Was it at the highest level? United have hired post SAF 5 managers until ETH you could not say ‘yes’ to the above basic questions. It is a joke the club has been run in this manner. ETH is the first sensible hire in 10 years and is actually trying something different as unsuccessful as it has been so far. He might not be good enough but at least he has a track record. ETH did what we needed last season with an added bonus of minor silverware, this season HAS to be when we see the stylistic change and as bad as performances have been, that’s what I think is happening, it’s a team struggling to change but trying at least.

Liverpool are a better team than us, they have better/equal players in most positions and a better manager (I hope this opinion changes but Klopp is a great manager). I don’t think the gap is that big between us and they aren’t at the level they were a couple of years ago because VVD is a bit average now and yes they have to bed in anew midfield but they have a) a proven world class goal scorer and b) no European football. It will be very easy for them to rest and manage players whereas we’re already missing multiple first teamers.

This is without even going into the issue of Bruno and how he fits into a possession heavy team.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
This still smacks to me of rose tinting the past. United under Jose and Ole really weren’t that different from Jose season 2 until Ole’s sacking, we played the same system, were reliant on direct balls, willingly sacrificed any attempt to build possession in advanced areas - the personnel changed and the quality of players ebbed and flowed but we never built an organised press, never could pass out from the back and never built possession in advanced areas. ETH basically did the same as they did last season as well, it’s effective when you have a stacked squad because it’s low risk and defensive. It will, however, win you absolutely nothing at the highest level.

The fact you say ETH’s Ajax tenure means nothing to you reeks to me of someone with at least some bias. That is exactly what should be relevant to any fan when assessing a coach - have they done it previously? Is it recent? Was it at the highest level? United have hired post SAF 5 managers until ETH you could not say ‘yes’ to the above basic questions. It is a joke the club has been run in this manner. ETH is the first sensible hire in 10 years and is actually trying something different as unsuccessful as it has been so far. He might not be good enough but at least he has a track record. ETH did what we needed last season with an added bonus of minor silverware, this season HAS to be when we see the stylistic change and as bad as performances have been, that’s what I think is happening, it’s a team struggling to change but trying at least.

Liverpool are a better team than us, they have better/equal players in most positions and a better manager (I hope this opinion changes but Klopp is a great manager). I don’t think the gap is that big between us and they aren’t at the level they were a couple of years ago because VVD is a bit average now and yes they have to bed in anew midfield but they have a) a proven world class goal scorer and b) no European football. It will be very easy for them to rest and manage players whereas we’re already missing multiple first teamers.

This is without even going into the issue of Bruno and how he fits into a possession heavy team.
Just because both Jose and Ole didn’t pass out from the back doesn’t mean that they were the same. Otherwise neither did Sir Alex. I’ve said what the differences are between Ole and Ten Hag, and that is that we were on the whole, a consistent attacking threat. We scored goals. Weak teams came to Old Trafford and conceded the 3+ goals they should do. That has simply not happened under Ten Hag.

And there is no bias. Ten Hag’s Ajax tenure is about as relevant as Ole’s Molde one. What comfort do I take from Ten Hag showing he can play good football at Ajax and showing that he cannot at Manchester United?

And there is no reason why we should be starting the season accepting that we are going to finish behind Liverpool. And they don’t have ‘no European football’, they are in the Europa League. Everything was there for us to move ahead of them this season. We were better than them last season, we spent money, our manager is in theory further along in his work. The manager is just not good enough.

And the issue of Bruno is another example of the manager not being good enough. He is the one who apparently green lit his new contract, he’s the one that gave him the armband and made him the centrepiece and ultimately, he is the man who picks the team and implements his ideas. So again, because he could construct a team that can pass and move in Holland means nothing to me if he can’t do it in Manchester.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
Moyes, Van Gaal, Mourinho, Ole and now Ten Hag they have all struggled to implement a style ...
Van Gaal NEVER struggled to implement a style though. He just never had the forwards to make it potent. Which our fans hated it for and blamed him entirely for it that they hounded him out of the job first chance they got.

Gordon Godot

Van Gaal NEVER struggled to implement a style though. He just never had the forwards to make it potent. Which our fans hated it for and blamed him entirely for it that they hounded him out of the job first chance they got.
This is not really true. Moyes doesnt have a style per se, plays a very pragmatic and quite defensive approach. Briefings very much focused on stopping the opposition. Same true to a degree of Mou. LVG was all about possession and we got quite good but often boring as hell. Ole's style was sit deep and break. Ralf wanted to press as is the modern way but our team was woefully unfit. ETH seems to want that too but fitness still a problem, also too many players not comfortable in possession to escape modern press. So part of the problem is players signed for multiple different styles.

JuriM

Did McTominay carry a knock or smth, he is the last one who stops running without a very solid reason.

wolvored

The thing with Ole was he was brought in for 'a bit of fun until the end of the season', Woodward said that. He had no pressure on him while he was interim as results didnt matter to him. The thinking was Pocc would have taken over next season. Once they offered him the job permanently, and results mattered he changed from gung ho to counter. Thats when his good form started changing. He then got a shot in the arm when Bruno came in, and as an unknown he was brilliant, but thats gradually faded as well.

Delano

I think its mainly defensive.

We have issues in the wide areas when it comes to pressing from the front, and are easily bypassed.

Judging Antony in a pure football sense, he is missed in that regard.

We severely lack athleticism in midfield. As we are quite aggressive in trying to force turnovers, one good pass or a poor bit of pressing leaves us wide open. We don't have the pace to plug the gaps.

On athleticism, we tend to start games well, but we fade before half time.

In attack, we do have quite selfish players in wide areas, and make poor team choices. However, we really struggle to finish our chances as well, which has been the case for a while.

pcaming

United are an embarrassment.
In the squad, there are about 4 or 5 players, who have the ability to play the way the manager wants. That's it. That's the problem.

Our stars are Rashford, who is hot and cold, and Bruno who simply has too much of a role at present.

Not 1 single manager has been able to create a successful, consistent, attacking system with our players.

tomaldinho1

Just because both Jose and Ole didn’t pass out from the back doesn’t mean that they were the same. Otherwise neither did Sir Alex. I’ve said what the differences are between Ole and Ten Hag, and that is that we were on the whole, a consistent attacking threat. We scored goals. Weak teams came to Old Trafford and conceded the 3+ goals they should do. That has simply not happened under Ten Hag.

And there is no bias. Ten Hag’s Ajax tenure is about as relevant as Ole’s Molde one. What comfort do I take from Ten Hag showing he can play good football at Ajax and showing that he cannot at Manchester United?

And there is no reason why we should be starting the season accepting that we are going to finish behind Liverpool. And they don’t have ‘no European football’, they are in the Europa League. Everything was there for us to move ahead of them this season. We were better than them last season, we spent money, our manager is in theory further along in his work. The manager is just not good enough.

And the issue of Bruno is another example of the manager not being good enough. He is the one who apparently green lit his new contract, he’s the one that gave him the armband and made him the centrepiece and ultimately, he is the man who picks the team and implements his ideas. So again, because he could construct a team that can pass and move in Holland means nothing to me if he can’t do it in Manchester.
You seem beyond reasonable discussion - it’s not particularly difficult to grasp how a recent track record elsewhere is relevant to today or how Liverpool have every chance to finish above us. Maybe they’ll go all out for the EL I very much doubt it however.

Re Bruno there’s a limit to what a manager can do there, there were much more pressing issues to attend to and this isn’t football manager where you just sack off 6 players and buy 6 more. I’m sure ETH thinks he can coach this team to play a much better style and I, for one at least, am happy to wait and see and then assess every 5 games or so. Then at the end of the season the question is do we back him again or do we look elsewhere.

In Rainbows

You're mostly right, but Rozay is right about Ole being better than Mourinho in goal scoring. One difference I've always noted from Ole is that he did get United better at counter attacking. Not always measured in goals, but how dangerous United looked while counter attacking. That's something I thought Mourinho's specialty was, and yet was massively disappointed in how his United sides counter attacked.

Although part of that could be due to the emergence of Greenwood, which Mourinho did not have access to. Ole gets credit for getting more out of Martial and Rashford.

But yeah, Ole's way of football wasn't conducive to winning the biggest honors. Right now, the ideas of Ten Hag should facilitate that, but he has yet to achieve it and thus gets no credit in that department yet.

Someone either on here or the United reddit page made a good point - the manager needs to be just as ruthless on the pitch as he is off it. It's all good and dandy phasing Sancho out of the squad for being a petulant nob, as it was dropping Rashford for being late, but the manager also needs to hook off or drop Rashford for how selfish he's been on the pitch until he gets the message. Likewise for underperformers like Casemiro.
That's been my problem with Ten Hag. He's not stubborn enough with how he initially wanted United to change. I could understand rolling back those changes after the first 2 matches last season. But it's hard to swallow the same still happening after another summer of transfers and another preseason. The current squad have had enough time under your instructions to carry them out better than what we're currently doing and he's brought in enough players that it should be enough to perform to his liking. If the players won't do their job, it's up to Ten Hag to be stubborn and demand that of his players. How else can you demand besides discipline? Discipline in the form of playing time allocation.

At least the fans can get behind an idea where you can see us slowly improving in those areas via transfer windows. Onana is already starting to venture forward a fewer amount of times since preseason and the first matches. Our transfer approach in midfield does not reflect the initial idea of getting Frenkie. Eriksen and Amrabat are the bare minimum. A player like Frenkie doesn't grow on trees, but I would have expected a bigger effort in solving that issue. Instead we got a player like Mount. A player I'm still hopeful about, but one that I immediately wasn't sold on.

There are good signs though. He hasn't played McTominay as much as his predecessors did (although a little too much for my liking), he phased out de Gea, and has made our defense (when healthy) much better in possession. But I'm not seeing the same amount of verticality in our passing (not long balls) that we initially saw in his first preseason. I'm seeing far too much conservatism with regards to younger players. LVG was so stubborn in his approach that he would rather player a younger player in hopes of filling in the gap than just rolling out the same ol same ol. Of course, that doesn't mean you immediately get rid of a player that doesn't perform those duties to your liking, but you're still less conservative in trying out other younger players in hopes they properly grapple with first team football. Which goes back to what I originally thought. If a player isn't giving you everything, maybe make it more obvious that you're willing to bench them in hopes another player solves the issue of playing to your instructions. Doesn't mean you don't bring them back after that replacement fails, but you at least try.

Or these could be his instructions and he's far too pragmatic for my liking.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Pressing - there is no point trying to press as a team when one player is lazy and half arses it. Rashford starts the game by putting effort in but after 10/15mins reverts to jogging. This means that our other players who are pressing are doing it for nothing and wasting energy because there's always an easy out. Martial half arses pressing at times too.

Midfield - Casemiro plays too much. He's not the most mobile player but we're slowly grinding him down as he's being paired with players that aren't mobile. Take Brighton as an example. Paired with Eriksen who can't run after 20mins and an invisible McTominay. Its a horrendous midfield. Eriksen can't be a starter alongside Casemiro and McTominay has failed for several Managers. We have no midfield balance.

Defense - Another area of weakness, we're too easy to get at. Again, largely the midfields fault, but our defense does have errors in it, but our midfield tracking is hilariously bad. You watch other teams and the midfield sprints to get back into position. Our players jog. The lack of effort is appalling and the lack of standards is frustrating.

Forwards - We've never been particularly good going forward in the last few years. Our best attacking football coming from Ole football. But ETHs attacking football is a serious concern. We don't have fight in us and we aren't clinical. If we go a goal down against a decent team that's the game gone. I don't back us to get back into a game and it's a pretty safe bet these days that we won't beat organised decent teams because we simply don't have the firepower to break through organised teams.

We've improved our passing from the back, but that means very little when we don't try and control the game. Our match craft is appalling, we concede goals at the worst times, if something doesn't go our way the heads drop. We've got no backbone. I don't see much difference right now between ETH and Rangnick.

Shinjch

So much of it comes down to a lack of commitment and mental fragility in the players. We so regularly see that they are able to press well at the start of games, but too often it goes out the window at the first failure. Once so many of these players see a way out they are very quick to take it instead of buckling down and sticking to a plan.

Decision making in the final third is a disaster too, but isn't as fundamental an issue at the moment.

tomaldinho1

You're mostly right, but Rozay is right about Ole being better than Mourinho in goal scoring. One difference I've always noted from Ole is that he did get United better at counter attacking. Not always measured in goals, but how dangerous United looked while counter attacking. That's something I thought Mourinho's specialty was, and yet was massively disappointed in how his United sides counter attacked.

Although part of that could be due to the emergence of Greenwood, which Mourinho did not have access to. Ole gets credit for getting more out of Martial and Rashford.

But yeah, Ole's way of football wasn't conducive to winning the biggest honors. Right now, the ideas of Ten Hag should facilitate that, but he has yet to achieve it and thus gets no credit in that department yet.
Ole took more risk and so that would make sense and you are correct I’d say the forward line was definitely better from a goal scoring perspective (Greenwood was a striker playing off the right, Rashford LW and Martial had a great season at CF) but we dropped so many points because Bruno basically is an SS and neither wide attacker ever tracked back and so McT and Fred as limited as they were just got blamed for constant overloads and midfield runners.

The season you mention (when we scored more goals) we started poorly as well. Lost to Palace at home, hammered 6-1 at home to Spurs and lost to Arsenal before we sorted ourselves out in Nov. We scored 73 goals and conceded 44 in Ole’s best season and in Mou’s similar 2nd place season we scored 68 and conceded 28. One is marginally better offensively and the other vastly better defensively.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
You seem beyond reasonable discussion - it’s not particularly difficult to grasp how a recent track record elsewhere is relevant to today or how Liverpool have every chance to finish above us. Maybe they’ll go all out for the EL I very much doubt it however.

Re Bruno there’s a limit to what a manager can do there, there were much more pressing issues to attend to and this isn’t football manager where you just sack off 6 players and buy 6 more. I’m sure ETH thinks he can coach this team to play a much better style and I, for one at least, am happy to wait and see and then assess every 5 games or so. Then at the end of the season the question is do we back him again or do we look elsewhere.
My discussion is very reasonable, i.e - my points are supported with my reasons. It’s actually a statement like that which suggests that you are indeed incapable of having a discussion. Is it simply because I have not surrendered to your view that I’m unreasonable?

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Hideous off the ball. Whether that's fitness levels, tactical coaching, inability of players to follow instructions -- I don't know, but we certainly struggle there.

Massively struggle to retain the ball in the buildup areas of the pitch. No central midfielders who are able to play short pass game. We have 4 main central midfielders (Mount; Fernandes; Casemiro; and Eriksen) and not a single one of these players complement the other in playstyle. It's an atrocity that we've collated such an imbalanced midfield. TBC to see if Amrabat can fix anything.

General inability to play any way other than counter-attacking high-risk football. Brighton game was the quintessential example. We played well for about 15 minutes and then as soon as we start to struggle it becomes: Fernandes/Casemiro > inaccurate lobbed through pass to Rashford = lose the ball; struggle to get back due to our off ball shape = rinse and repeat.

Jeffthered

No clear system. And the players have picked this up. We seek inspiration, but we have no plan. City, Liverpool.. even Brentford, they play a certain way and their goals have a consistent theme, process to them. We don't. Nowhere near that. And that's on ETH. Not the Glazer's etc.

A few questions I have:

1. What is Casimero's role in getting us to play (a system)? He currently seems to have to shoulder the defensive midfield role on his own, and he doesn't contribute enough to get us playing (and he is good enough to do this...) I don't blame him btw (even though he looks awful right now)
  2. What is AWB's role in getting us to play? Because he cannot play, you can see that. He's a limited footballer. Look at Trippier. Reece James. Roberston. Kyle Walker, Chilwell and compare.
  3. What is Luke Shaw's role in getting us to play? He has ability on the ball, but is he a clear outlet for us (like Robertson etc, see above...)? If not, why not?
  4. What is Antony's role? Goals? Pace? Crosses? Shots? I have no idea. None.
  5. What is Mason Mount's role going to be? (and I think he is a very good player btw..)
  6. What is Bruno's role? This is key, because it seems, he cannot be dropped, and therefore, his inclusion informs the rest of the XI.
  7. What is Eriksen's role. Deep lying ball-player (that's what I would like..) because he gets us to play. But he lacks mobility, and really needs two defensive players (midfielders) around him. Which in turn, means Bruno cannot play (in midfield). So that's complicated.
I could go on, regarding playing out from the back, because we seem unsure... I wouldn't want the ball being played to AWB for example, no way.

All of this is ETH. His job, his coaching staffm is to determine what is expected of players.

Every City player knows what is expected of them. Same with Liverpool. Brighton. Villa. Brentford. West Ham, probably other teams. But look at us?

It's poor, and ETH has to resolve this, because if he doesn't he will have problems. And I fully back him btw, but he has to show more tactical management and acumen. It's all so unclear right now.

flameinthesun

A big trend whenever we have tried to play expansive football is our team always ends up stretched with players pretty far away from each other. Which has happened under successive managers. My view is when you compare the movement of Brighton to United, the Brighton players are constantly working to find space and set up passing angles. Our players generally tend to do similar but more slowly and half assed. It is quite annoying to see a player looking for another player to get into space and that player seems to be on heels taking his sweet time to get there. At the end of the day there is only so much coaching you can do of the players don't make the effort to make the angles and get into half spaces.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
The thing with Ole was he was brought in for 'a bit of fun until the end of the season', Woodward said that. He had no pressure on him while he was interim as results didnt matter to him. The thinking was Pocc would have taken over next season. Once they offered him the job permanently, and results mattered he changed from gung ho to counter. Thats when his good form started changing. He then got a shot in the arm when Bruno came in, and as an unknown he was brilliant, but thats gradually faded as well.
That’s unfair to him. His ‘shot in the arm’ was him posting a 2020 that was up there with the best in the country in terms of points, ending the year top of the table (Bruno joined at the beginning of the year) and his fading away was ultimately finishing second and reaching the EL final, losing on penalties. Long after his interim period, either side of lockdown, we were playing great stuff. Before lockdown we were due to go to Spurs away and we were all furious that game got called off as everyone was confident of going there and beating them. In the last game we had just comfortably beaten City (for the second time that season). After lockdown Pogba returned from injury to play with Bruno for the first time, and the XI of:

De Gea

Wan-Bissaka
Maguire
Lindelof
Shaw

Matic
Pogba
Bruno

Greenwood
Martial
Rashford

Probably reached the heights of the best stuff we played post Sir Alex. We were scoring 3+ goals a game and simply winning the games we were supposed to win.

I don’t get why people are so reluctant to call his time for what it was. Just because it ended badly, he was apparently some huge joke or something, literally erasing all their ‘Ole’s at the wheel’ and similar chanting they were probably doing just months earlier. We were drawing praise, fairly unanimously, from pundits who are extremely reluctant to give us any credit, for much of his time here.

Ole is not a top manager at all. We needed better than him to take us to the next level to actually win things. But he did take us to the level where we were comfortably in the top 3 teams. Ten Hag was supposed to be more modern and give us the control Ole lacked to take us forward a step. But we barely manage any shots on target under him, and I haven’t seen passing and moving on a high or consistent basis.

My argument here is not that Ole was a top manager at all (which I know is an insinuation that angers people around here!) but simply that the job he did has not been matched or bettered by Ten Hag. Until he can get us attacking with any consistent quality, he will get little ratings from me. We can say he doesn’t have the players, but he signed a forward for £85m and has now signed a striker for £65m. He has nowhere to hide and nobody to blame but himself.

Kopral Jono

It's many things. Sheer rotten luck and off-the-pitch issues have not been of help and the likes of Martial and McTominay have no business playing for us in fecking 2023 for obvious reasons, but the number one factor lies inside the head of our players. Things are not alright in there. Year after year of drubbings after drubbings against some of our fiercest rivals leaves a big collective scar difficult to heal.

Over the weekend as Brighton scored their third you could almost see from their body language that some of them feared the worst.

KjaAnd

The match against Brighton showcased the importance of intensity.

The first 20 minutes we played with intensity. We were all over them. Quick to press, won the ball back and countered them. That created several good opportunities and we looked the best we have this season.

After that, we became too loose in our pressing. It was uncoordinated and halfhearted which allowed Brighton to pass around us. We also stopped tracking runners which was an issue for all three of their goals.

Sylar

I think there are two main issues that prevent us from playing like a well drilled team.

Firstly we have a number of players who are thick. The decision making kills so many promising opportunities. This can't be coached. They're simply stupid.

Secondly there are too many players with the wrong attitude or mentality. Whether it's Rashford thinking he's a superstar and man one team, or Sancho who is weak as piss and not willing to fight, it's prohibiting us from being a team.

I think the root cause of the second point is money. We pay far too much far too soon. The wages most of this lot are earning should've been reserved until they'd won the league.

We won't get close to playing the way Ten Hag (or any other manager) envisages until we have a group of players ready to play for each other and give 100%, even when things aren't going their way.
Yeah, id agree with this. I think we are not disciplined enough when we have the ball, or when we dont. Which obviously is the whole game.

Its hard to implement a style when we have some players who are not suited for one way, whilst youre trying to play another.
I dont want to pick out players, but you cant be a transition team when you have an attacker like Antony or Sancho imo.
You cant be a possession team when you have somebody like Bruno or McT in the middle.
You cant be a soak pressure then hit counter attack when you have people being dragged all over the place and not having discipline and strength (and its pointless buying Onana or Martinez for that imo).

The players have no shame. Its one thing if what youre trying is not working due to the opposition having a game plan. But there is no excuse if youre being out fought, out sprinted etc.

ETH doesnt help himself either. I look at some coaches who are happy to drop a player to the bench if they arent playing or adapting to a style they want. It feels like we indulge some players who are either not learning or stuck in a way.

Abraxas

Hard to pinpoint. At least in the sense of it's hard to distill it all down into something that wouldn't be a mountain of text because it really isn't just one or two little adjustments. We seem to have difficulty across all thirds of the pitch, on and off the ball. So what's wrong with our way of play is football as it is played in 2023. We don't keep the ball very well, we press in spurts, we don't have partnerships anywhere - so overall there is a complete lack of team. There isn't a partnership between a keeper and a back 4, we can't get Martinez and Varane on the pitch, we don't know what our best midfield balance is, we haven't integrated a 9 into our squad in years.

Getting away from the tactical side I still think we have a weird assembly of players where it's not quite clear what we're supposed to be aiming at and I think that comes from a lack of club direction and a lack of club confidence which is set by the culture and ultimately ownership. A club should be confident in its staffing and direction to take the lead and stand for something. I don't think we stand for anything and that's why we succumb to whatever the latest manager says. It is very difficult to be successful with this method because the remit for the manager is so broad that he's making judgments on things that he can't possibly have put enough thought or analysis into compared to our rivals, and that sets back our success rate in the market which we know is an absolute key component of football. It always comes back to subpar ownership and the decisions they make.

Personally I think you can put whoever you like into the hotseat and it would be a struggle. Some will inevitably do better than others, but relative to club size, scale and expectation from some quarters it will be a task where you're swimming upstream at every turn.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
The match against Brighton showcased the importance of intensity.

The first 20 minutes we played with intensity. We were all over them. Quick to press, won the ball back and countered them. That created several good opportunities and we looked the best we have this season.

After that, we became too loose in our pressing. It was uncoordinated and halfhearted which allowed Brighton to pass around us. We also stopped tracking runners which was an issue for all three of their goals.
I think it showcased the opposite. For me, it showed that the ceiling of just trying to outpassion teams is lower than the methodical. We pressed and charged before running out of steam, Brighton let the ball do their running. We talk about physicality and intensity - Brighton’s midfield of Gilmour, Groß and Lallana could never play United football, but they can play Brighton’s. Our best idea is physically overpowering, while Brighton had us chasing shadows with slower, weaker players.

Just learn to pass the ball, preferably with one touch, and move into spaces off of it.

tomaldinho1

My discussion is very reasonable, i.e - my points are supported with my reasons. It’s actually a statement like that which suggests that you are indeed incapable of having a discussion. Is it simply because I have not surrendered to your view that I’m unreasonable?
Because some of your takes don’t make much sense for anyone who has watched football more than this season.

1) Klopp and Pool are a very good team. They have had maybe 2 off years since he’s been there and, as I said, I don’t think the gap as big as it was a couple of season ago but they have every chance to finish above us.

2) You apparently think of a team didn’t pass out from the back (FYI Edwin was actually very good at passing out from the back) they’re all the same?

3) You can’t understand how a managers previous work should be factored in to his current expectations.

There are some legit ETH criticisms - Mount as an 8? Bruno’s role? Why aren’t we seeing the midfield take more control and keep the ball better? He is not a miracle worker and he may well fail here but there has to be the basic understanding here that genuine change is going to be painful. We tried it with LVG who was more extreme than ETH and bailed on that experiment by bringing in the anti christ of possession and now we’re back we’re we started 7 years later.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Just learn to pass the ball, preferably with one touch, and move into spaces off of it.
If I were manager I would genuinely sell all 5 of our first choice central midfielders and replace them with some geezers who can pass and move the football.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Because some of your takes don’t make much sense for anyone who has watched football more than this season.

1) Klopp and Pool are a very good team. They have had maybe 2 off years since he’s been there and, as I said, I don’t think the gap as big as it was a couple of season ago but they have every chance to finish above us.

2) You apparently think of a team didn’t pass out from the back (FYI Edwin was actually very good at passing out from the back) they’re all the same?

3) You can’t understand how a managers previous work should be factored in to his current expectations.

There are some legit ETH criticisms - Mount as an 8? Bruno’s role? Why aren’t we seeing the midfield take more control and keep the ball better? He is not a miracle worker and he may well fail here but there has to be the basic understanding here that genuine change is going to be painful. We tried it with LVG who was more extreme than ETH and bailed on that experiment by bringing in the anti christ of possession and now we’re back we’re we started 7 years later.
Perhaps you are not comprehending anything I’m writing. Point two is the exact opposite of what I said. It is YOU who said Ole and Jose were similar, unlike Ten Hag who is trying to get us to build from the back. I said that because both managers did not build from the back does NOT make them similar. Otherwise you may as well have added Sir Alex to your comparisons. There was a difference between Ole and Jose, just as there was with Fergie.

As for point 3, I have no trouble ‘understanding’ anything thank you. I do however, dismiss the relevance of what a manager has done in another league when I am seeing him unable to do it in this one. Expectations based on Ajax performance were fine last summer when he joined. In fact, they were logical. You hope that he brings Ajax principles and values the passing of the ball. However, that is obviously superseded by what is ACTUALLY happening during his tenure as Manchester United manager. And in that respect, what comfort is it supposed to be to me that his Ajax team, like just about all Ajax teams ever, played good football if his United team doesn’t?

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
It’s telling in itself that this thread is 7 pages long and the majority of the answers be correct in identifying at least parts of the plethora of problems we have on the pitch, let alone off it.

We’re in a really bad way.

flappyjay

If I were manager I would genuinely sell all 5 of our first choice central midfielders and replace them with some geezers who can pass and move the football.
It's weird because we got rid of Smalling to get maguire for his ball abilities, part of the selling point on Lindelof was ability on the ball , Martinez ball abilities and same for Onana all defensive players who were targeted because they are good on the ball. When you look at our midfield the ball ability of our midfield have never been payed that much attention.

flappyjay

I think it showcased the opposite. For me, it showed that the ceiling of just trying to outpassion teams is lower than the methodical. We pressed and charged before running out of steam, Brighton let the ball do their running. We talk about physicality and intensity - Brighton’s midfield of Gilmour, Groß and Lallana could never play United football, but they can play Brighton’s. Our best idea is physically overpowering, while Brighton had us chasing shadows with slower, weaker players.

Yeah you can't run all day long but if you can pass well you will have the opponent doing all the running and tire them out. I don't know why that concept escapes the minds of many. With this style of play we need to be at least 2 goals up by the time we run out of steam.