What is wrong with the way we play?

NoLogo

The stats are interesting in that regard as although our PPDA (which measures pressing intensity) is average, we've won the ball more often in the opposition third than any other team in the league. So functionally something is still working with the press as we're getting the turnovers we want high up the pitch.
I think they mention in the video that our press worked quite well for the first 20 minutes, which I would agree with but after Brighton made the tactical change of dropping their DMs even deeper, pushing their FBs higher up and moving the CBs out wide, it felt like we lost any grip on the game and were chasing shadows from that point on.

RedStarUnited

I think they mention in the video that our press worked quite well for the first 20 minutes, which I would agree with but after Brighton made the tactical change of dropping their DMs even deeper, pushing their FBs higher up and moving the CBs out wide, it felt like we lost any grip on the game and were chasing shadows from that point on.
It was the same against Spurs too. Maybe we also cant maintain it?

Tibs

We just need to go back to basics with a 4231 (I don't know what we play because on the pitch we're a mess)

Defence

Casemiro + Amrabart
2 wingers + Bruno
Rasmus

If a player doesn't play tough shit (eg Mount)...stick to it until we get 4-5 wins on the bounce.

buckooo1978

injured key players available

a broken pressing system

players who have declined dramatically

players not fit enough to compete

failing to react to opposition manager changes

shit in game management/subs

If anyone fancies a deeper dive into our issues you should give the Devils in the Details podcast a listen..Very interesting

didz

I can kind of see why we were slow reacting to the change, because to me it came as a bit of a shock since Brighton under De Zerbi never do that. I didn't follow him at Shakhtar, but even at Sassualo, it was build up through the middle or die trying. The fact that we didn't change at all (until the late late changes, anyway) was concerning, however. The personnel on the pitch could pretty comfortably have shifted to a 4-2-3-1 and kept their FBs honest had Ten Hag wanted them to do so.

Ghostrider318

Our players seem to lack the basics ?

We dont press well at all and it looks disjointed and more of an individual decision than a team press
Our attackers cant beat a full back. Run, slow down, pass back. Rinse and repeat
In the event they do find themselves in a good position - Antony has no right foot so the whole world knows hes going to cut inside for a pass or the signature shoot that has a 2/10 odd of going in. Rashford is similar. Cut inside and shoot with power with no placement.
Bruno wants an assist with every pass so we cant keep possession
Our midfield has been weak since for ever
We rarely ever have 1-2s or cutbacks for the striker
Our players ( not all ) are poor passers. So many times we give away possession without any pressure.

TomSkalle

Our players seem to lack the basics ?

We dont press well at all and it looks disjointed and more of an individual decision than a team press
Our attackers cant beat a full back. Run, slow down, pass back. Rinse and repeat
In the event they do find themselves in a good position - Antony has no right foot so the whole world knows hes going to cut inside for a pass or the signature shoot that has a 2/10 odd of going in. Rashford is similar. Cut inside and shoot with power with no placement.
Bruno wants an assist with every pass so we cant keep possession
Our midfield has been weak since for ever
We rarely ever have 1-2s or cutbacks for the striker
Our players ( not all ) are poor passers. So many times we give away possession without any pressure.
Exactly this.
Add that Rashford think he needs to be a world beater and do everything alone, exept he doesnt have the flair for it.
And that the team is poorly balanced because we have no legs on the midfield.