What makes Herrera good?

Butty19

He's arguably the most complete midfielder in the league. I must be watching a different player to some on here. Should be our next captain.

IhabX7

One of our players of the season, and someone who is as responsible for our resurgence as anyone on the team. This idea to make the thread is absolutely baffling if you watch football.

ThomasEmil

Invisible Herrera Watcher
I assume you watched our big games this year? Ignoring the Chelsea game where we had a shocker;

Vs City - He upped our tempo when came on. Pep even made a comment about how Herrera was amazing at pressing and reacting to second balls. This is the game I fee convinced Jose.

Liverpool - Got man of the match, covered every inch of grass that day.

Arsenal - He assisted Mata for our goal.

Tottenham - assisted Mikhi for our goal.

How have you exactly missed all of this?
Haven't missed it, but it's not something I notice particularly. Don't get me wrong, it's not because I'm expecting him to be in the highlight reel every week. It's more because he's like this guy that gets the team working, by all the accounts people made, especially Invictus, but I was under the impression that Carrick had that function - binding together the defence and the midfield? But if i make comparisons to Kante, people say it's not the same type of play... Which made me ask: what is his style of play?

SalfordRed1960

He looked like a spanish tom cleverley. Jack of all trades, master of none.
That is how I am seeing him at the moment. He has become the player that does the obvious 5 yard pass to the nearest guy and moves to another position ready for the next 5 yard pass, which is likely to be backwards or side ways. When he first came in to the side, his first thought was attack, bit like Miki, but seems to have become a Cleverley type player now. Would love him to be a bit more adventurous.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
His all action performances?

He instigates the high press, he puts his foot into everything, he sniffs out the opposition trying to make penetrative passes through us, he carries the ball up the pitch, he moves the ball into the feet of players who will hurt teams, he is always available and isn't scared if there are two opposition players bearing down on him.

He's had a terrific season, and you're doing an injustice by questioning what he brings. One area of the team we don't have an issue with performance-wise right now is central midfield. There's a question mark on the players who would fill in for Herrera, Carrick and Pogba, but those three are absolutely doing their jobs.

We'd all like to see him chip in with a goal or two once in a while, but other than that I have no complaints. That performance at Anfield was something else. He almost single-handedly stopped them from opening us up.

Acquire Me

Great post @Invictus

Its sad to see that people cant see how good Herrera is. I guess its more easy to see that Ronaldo is a great player.

Brightonian

The OP just seems so alien to me. When I watch us and Herrera's on the pitch, I can barely seem to notice anyone else! He's absolutely everywhere, and his playing style manages to be simultaneously selfless and eye-catching. Brave tackles, clever first touches, lone haring runs to press the keeper, the occasional necessary foul committed without hesitation but also without relish, and all those passes shaped and weighted in so many different configurations

And so noticeably fearless for his own reputation - he's the one player on the team who is willing to think 'ok, Carrick and the defenders are behind me, I'll throw myself into this tackle to try and win the ball early, and if the opponent skins me as a result, the team won't suffer.' These days midfielders so rarely commit like that because you can back off and back off and back off, never actually risk being beaten one-on-one, and everyone is happy enough to praise your 'experienced defending'. But if you want the team to win the ball back high and discompose your opponent, someone needs to risk being made a fool of every now and then.

He's not just my favourite current player, I think he's my favourite United player for years and years.

Mike09

He's arguably the most complete midfielder in the league. I must be watching a different player to some on here. Should be our next captain.
In term of being complete I think Pogba and Dembele are more complete of package than Herrera.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
He might not be the most complete or the best midfielder but his attitude and all action playing style is very infectious to fans and team mates alike. Similar to Evra and Rafael.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
I think, unfortunately, this type of thread is indicative of the impatient mentality of many football fans. A keen eye for the spectacular and little to no appreciation of the fine craftsmanship of a vital midfield cog. It's as though the entirety of a footballer's value is boiled down to the excellence of their individual attributes, rather than a convergence of their entire ingredients. And unfortunately, such a limited perspective, really robs the viewer of a much more rewarding appreciation of the intricate synergies that make a football team successful.

It's such unrefined understanding of the game which makes players such as Herrera, and in the past Carrick, so critically underrated by the masses, and causes such a befuddled chasm between fans and managers, who remain steadfast in their adoration of such players. Players who keep the team ticking over, cleaning up other people's messes and wiping the canvass clean for further artistry.

Herrera is uniquely talented within our squad in blending all the ingredients of tackling, pressing, energy, positioning, and passing, in a way few others in the league can match. Allied to this is a passionate mentality, and excellent technical ability, and what you are left with, is a truly excellent player.

There are better players out there, and there are players with more eye catching qualities, yet even with that said; this thread saddens me. If not entirely surprising.

Acquire Me

I think, unfortunately, this type of thread is indicative of the impatient mentality of many football fans. A keen eye for the spectacular and little to no appreciation of the fine craftsmanship of a vital midfield cog. It's as though the entirety of a footballer's value is boiled down to the excellence of their individual attributes, rather than a convergence of their entire ingredients. And unfortunately, such a limited perspective, really robs the viewer of a much more rewarding appreciation of the intricate synergies that make a football team successful.

It's such unrefined understanding of the game which makes players such as Herrera, and in the past Carrick, so critically underrated by the masses, and causes such a befuddled chasm between fans and managers, who remain steadfast in their adoration of such players. Players who keep the team ticking over, cleaning up other people's messes and wiping the canvass clean for further artistry.

Herrera is uniquely talented within our squad in blending all the ingredients of tackling, pressing, energy, positioning, and passing, in a way few others in the league can match. Allied to this is a passionate mentality, and excellent technical ability, and what you are left with, is a truly excellent player.

There are better players out there, and there are players with more eye catching qualities, yet even with that said; this thread saddens me. If not entirely surprising.
This. Well said.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything

Fantastic post

U99ted

I thought Herrera was very good in his first season. He had a rib injury and was undeservedly dropped for a while (like Juan Mata), but was one of the best contributors to the team when we were playing well. He also scored more goals in 1 year than Cleverley did in his United career. He was the 3rd highest rated player on this site too, behind De Gea and Carrick. It was season 2 where he wasn't so hot.

RC89

People don't just suddenly like a player, he clearly has to do a lot of good things for him to get the priase he does. In fact, he's the one player my non-united friends unanimously agreed was an underrated and brilliant player.

caid

In term of being complete I think Pogba and Dembele are more complete of package than Herrera.
Pogba's a more skilled, better player but i wouldn't say more complete. He can be a bit lacking in focus and his positioning can be a bit dodgy at times.
Dembele isn't more complete or better imo, though that ones debatable.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Herrera's work rate and high energy level is what sets him apart from most.
His fitness level is incredibly high and he uses it on the pitch. It's like having a small terrier constantly biting at your ankles.

Strats

Excellent post. He has been my favourite player this season.

What he brings to the table is hard to replace, and if we were to get an upgrade on Herrera who is defines as an eye catching player, these attributes would have to be rather significant compared to what we lose in Herrera as a player, his attitude and in his leadership on the field.

Loved seeing him getting the captains armband when Smalling went off last night even if it was for a short period of time. You can tell that Mourinho rates him highly. Van Gaal was a clown to leave him on the bench

illReD

I don't think people remember just how poor we were in the middle for the past 6 years. The credit goes to Jose for putting a midfield 3 together that compliment each other perfectly. The last time I saw any such fluidity was prior to 2010.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
He might not be the most complete or the best midfielder but his attitude and all action playing style is very infectious to fans and team mates alike. Similar to Evra and Rafael.
modern day three lung park?

OL29

I think that's harsh, he scored something like 8 goals that season and we looked a lot better when he was playing. His link up play and work rate particularly impressed me and his performance at Anfield that season was immense. I think very few people who watched him regularly that season would say he was shit to be honest. Quite the opposite.

ryan_forlan

Gullible
About his shooting, I feel it is very good. Last season he was consistently hitting the target or just missing it. Even with his left foot.
Yeah very recently, he tried some volleys and they were horrible attempts, the fact that we were desperate for a goal at home did not help. But some saying he has no technique is just plain stupid. There has been a phase where if there was one player getting the shooting right, it was him.

red_devil83

I hope he goes on to have a career as storied as another perennial "What does he do?" player, Michael Carrick.

SouthPredators4

Anders Herrera is an amazing team player. The reason why JM is playing him all the time is cos the guy understands his role in the starting eleven better than most. TC is the most overrated player to come out from our youth academy in recent years and it says a lot that he is struggling to hold onto a place at Everton. The only reason why people thinks AH is limited is cos he is sacrificing his game to allow the others to flourish. He can play the 6, 8 or 10, but he understands that Pogba is probably better offensively. Put Herrera as a 10, he can easily get 10 to 15 goals a season. Put Cleverely as a striker and he probably won't even hit 5 goals. So stop the ridiculous comparison.

RedStarUnited

That is how I am seeing him at the moment. He has become the player that does the obvious 5 yard pass to the nearest guy and moves to another position ready for the next 5 yard pass, which is likely to be backwards or side ways. When he first came in to the side, his first thought was attack, bit like Miki, but seems to have become a Cleverley type player now. Would love him to be a bit more adventurous.
That is what midfielders do 90% of the time.

Denis79

Great mentality
High work rate
Incredible positioning

He might not be spectacular but he is very important for us.

Just how he gives it his all on the field rubs off on the other players a very important trait.

pacifictheme

I think that's harsh, he scored something like 8 goals that season and we looked a lot better when he was playing. His link up play and work rate particularly impressed me and his performance at Anfield that season was immense. I think very few people who watched him regularly that season would say he was shit to be honest. Quite the opposite.
Never said he was shit.

And Tom Cleverley was a regular starter for a team qho won the league, so its not that harsh either.

I like Herrera now, but hes improved significantly.

Golden Nugget

Excellent post. Fortunately, it appears for s large majority of posters on here and for most people I meet, players like Herrera are appreciated.

Mike09

Pogba's a more skilled, better player but i wouldn't say more complete. He can be a bit lacking in focus and his positioning can be a bit dodgy at times.
Dembele isn't more complete or better imo, though that ones debatable.
Pogba has everything pretty much. He has strength, Herrera doesn't. Pogba has the long range passing while Herrera hardly does long range pass, Pogba can score from set pieces, he has the height while Herrera neither have them. In term of skill, technique, dribble, long shot, through ball, vision Pogba is still better. The only thing that Pogba lacks is his mentality but it's normal for a midfielder at his age. Defensively Pogba can still do some defensive work. I don't know why Pogba can't be called as a more complete midfielder than Herrera.

Dembele is a better version of Herrera. stronger, quicker, better in dribble.

Number32

He has made the system more balance and faster, also always makes so much room for passing forward. Carrick, Fellaini, even Pogba couldn't run like him. We will stuck with wide and long passing game without him, unless we go back to boring pass in Van Gaal era.

SouthPredators4

Never said he was shit.

And Tom Cleverley was a regular starter for a team qho won the league, so its not that harsh either.

I like Herrera now, but hes improved significantly.

That doesnt mean TC was a quality player. In fact, i used to get real pissed off whenever he plays cos he was gutless and always going for the safe options. He doesnt have the ability to beat players in tight spaces unlike AH and all he does is recycle meaningless possession which impresses fans who think that is Tiki Taka. Looking at Pogba and Mkhitaryan and you know standards have plunged since Fergie days with CO92.

3KDré

I can admit that he doesn't do that much on the ball, but that's not his role. The importance of motivation and team spirit is seriously underrated though, football is not about fielding the best players on one pitch- it's the BEST TEAM that is most important, and he helps glue this team together.

ThomasEmil

Invisible Herrera Watcher
Still people are saying the thread is about rating him, while it isn't. It's trying to get an understanding about what he actually does and what his actual role is within the team with Carrick being the defensive player, Pogba being the offensive, and Herrera came in as an attacking player...

prath92

He doesn't have to be as good on the ball as Pogba or Carrick. That isn't his job. He is maybe unique in that skillset that he has. I don't know if there are that many players whom we could put in his position and get the best. A peak bastian maybe.

Anyway I'm glad he has improved after looking poor last season. I like him because he was our first even half decent CM purchase since Carrick. He has taken his game to a new level this season.

ijc

He's a darling on this site for some reason. For every 2-3 games where he plays well there's usuall 5-6 in between where he's anonymous.
Basically he runs about a bit and puts tackles in with the odd decent pass.
He's a darling on this site (and everywhere else) because he's passionate. Passionate about the club and English football in general, he said it plenty of times.

Also, he's 'good' because currently he's part of a midfield 3 which is bringing out the best in Pogba, and is playing very well - tackles, interceptions, the lot. He can also produce some great penetrating balls. Remember Mata's first goal at Anfield? :)

One area of his which needs massive improvement though is aerially, but I think you can attribute that to his light frame.

Reactions: Invictus

itso 7

He's a darling on this site (and everywhere else) because he's passionate. Passionate about the club and English football in general, he said it plenty of times.

Also, he's 'good' because currently he's part of a midfield 3 which is bringing out the best in Pogba, and is playing very well - tackles, interceptions, the lot. He can also produce some great penetrating balls. Remember Mata's first goal at Anfield? :)

One area of his which needs massive improvement though is aerially, but I think you can attribute that to his light frame.
Ditto that and people really have to get over the obssession with Scholesque midfielders and learn to appreciate grafters like Herrera and Fletcher because it is their industry that sets the platform for the pass masters and highlights reel players. Herrera helps both Carrick and Pogba to be more effective in their roles by playing a dual role that supports both. He is also technically gifted which is important in the build up and against high pressing teams.

RedChip

Still people are saying the thread is about rating him, while it isn't. It's trying to get an understanding about what he actually does and what his actual role is within the team with Carrick being the defensive player, Pogba being the offensive, and Herrera came in as an attacking player...
Well, you can't label a player 'invisible' and expect people not to interpret that as not rating him.