What makes Herrera good?

DevilRed

Has been subpar for a while now.

I honestly think he only starts because there is no other option in his position other than Fellaini.

Has always been inconsistent with his form since he came to the club. Needs a rest.

I wouldnt be surprised if Mourinho buys someone in midfield to replace him in the first eleven.

Zoo

This is the new baby elephant thread I see.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Haha oh good the knee jerkers are back out in force, at least the sensible posters will know who to put on ignore now

ThomasEmil

Invisible Herrera Watcher
Ffs go into the Herrera thread if you wanna make match to match ratings. This is NOT a Herrera rating thread. Ffsakers

Shuriken

Interception after interception, match after match. The type of player who's essential in a team aspiring for success.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
He's basically the new Fletcher. A valuable work horse.

His Hispanic name is always bound to create some hyperbolism though.
Could you expand on this? Barring the odd post or two, most have been in praise of his complete game, his defensive work and his nippy and astute passing which keeps our tempo up. I don't see people, in general, having gone overboard in their appraisal of Herrara on here.

Ekeke

Fletcher was never this good. Nor Butt.

That doesnt make Ander a Xavi or Iniesta level player, but he's become a very effective one.

He wins the ball a lot, plays a few good offensive passes but mostly keeps the ball. Would be nice if he could get back to scoring some goals, as he managed 6 league goals in 14/15.

Mike09

Dembele has scored about 6 goals for tottenham in 4+ seasons, his assists are similarly low.
Hes a water carrier, hes not beating guys on the edge of the box. Hes good at carrying the ball out of defence and getting it forward quickly.

Herrera is a better passer by a distance imo, his positioning and movement are better.
He has more of an eye for a pass and he scored 5 goals last season despite most people agreeing he had a pretty poor season (so hes a better goalscorer)
Physically hes not a monster but hes not a pushover either.
Its debatable but i rate herrera more and think he has more to his game
I don't know how many times you have watched Dembele but clearly you didn't watch him a lot and have no clue about his role at spurs. Dembele has been playing deeper in 4231 formation than Herrera ever played in his previous seasons. This season Herrera is playing as deep as Dembele as a result he doesn't score a lot of goals and he hardly goes to the penalty box anymore unlike his previous seasons.
Dembele passing skills isn't any different with Herrera. He has good positioning and for someone who is faster his movement isn't so much worse than Herrera.

I don't rate a complete midfielder needs to have an ability to score goals. Being effective in attack doesn't need to be scoring more goals. At the start of season people mentioned without Dembele, Kane can't score. That's also another way to call a player if he's effective to improve the team's attacks. In term of both technique and physical attribute, Dembele is more complete than Herrera. He dribbles beat players and hardly to lose the ball, strong, pace, can read the game very well. He has the complete package in term of being a complete midfield. Herrera lacks some of these.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP

Clearly rubbish.

caid

I don't know how many times you have watched Dembele but clearly you didn't watch him a lot and have no clue about his role at spurs. Dembele has been playing deeper in 4231 formation than Herrera ever played in his previous seasons. This season Herrera is playing as deep as Dembele as a result he doesn't score a lot of goals and he hardly goes to the penalty box anymore unlike his previous seasons.
Dembele passing skills isn't any different with Herrera. He has good positioning and for someone who is faster his movement isn't so much worse than Herrera.

I don't rate a complete midfielder needs to have an ability to score goals. Being effective in attack doesn't need to be scoring more goals. At the start of season people mentioned without Dembele, Kane can't score. That's also another way to call a player if he's effective to improve the team's attacks. In term of both technique and physical attribute, Dembele is more complete than Herrera. He dribbles beat players and hardly to lose the ball, strong, pace, can read the game very well. He has the complete package in term of being a complete midfield. Herrera lacks some of these.
I'm not trying to underrate dembele, I know water carrier is seen as almost a criticism but its a pretty important skill in the modern game.
The way teams press high up the pitch and try win back the ball early makes it almost a requirement for every team.
He's very good at getting past that press and the other teams midfield and getting counter attacks going. Hes a good player.
And hes a just a good midfielder in general, hes not lacking anything as such.

But hes not providing assists or the final ball.
Herrera still is, he has 3 in the league (dont think that would include todays offside goal) to Dembele's 0.
I really cant find older stats for assists but its not something i'd associate with dembele tbh
Herrera doesn't have the dribbling skill of dembele but he has a nice turn on him that ... I just like ...

They're both good midfielders and I dont think there's much to choose between them
I just prefer Herrera

thepolice123

I'm not trying to underrate dembele, I know water carrier is seen as almost a criticism but its a pretty important skill in the modern game.
The way teams press high up the pitch and try win back the ball early makes it almost a requirement for every team.
He's very good at getting past that press and the other teams midfield and getting counter attacks going. Hes a good player.

Herrera still is, he has 3 in the league (dont think that would include todays offside goal) to Dembele's 0.
I really cant find older stats for assists but its not something i'd associate with dembele tbh
Herrera doesn't have the dribbling skill of dembele but he has a nice turn on him that ... I just like ...

They're both good midfielders and I dont think there's much to choose between them
I just prefer Herrera
I rate Dembele as the more talented player. He's combines a very unique set of skills for a CM. Apart from being ridiculously good at dribbling, he's incredibly strong and fast, and he also works hard for the team. However, I don't think he is as good as Herrara in terms of ball distribution and circulation. Herrara controls the play better whereas Dembele is more suited for a fast counter-attacking team like Spurs whereby he can utilise his strengths and drive the ball from deep. I think midfield with Pogba and Dembele would be a complete disaster, they would hog on the ball too much and our wingers and forwards would suffers. Add on the fact that we have players like Martial and Mikhitaryan who likes the ball being played to their feet, someone like Herrara who thrives on quick exchanges and in the build-up would be better suited for our team.

JaffyJoe

Provides RedCafe with shit Twitter news
He isn't very good, he's a solid 6.5 player. Does most things to a decent level but doesn't really excel in anything. He's got the work rate and intensity for the league though. He loves to get stuck in too. We are linked with Saul from Atletico, that would be a great upgrade.

Frank Grimes

I just prefer Herrera
Herrera has been good this season but Dembele is a better player.

RyRy11

He isn't very good, he's a solid 6.5 player. Does most things to a decent level but doesn't really excel in anything. He's got the work rate and intensity for the league though. He loves to get stuck in too. We are linked with Saul from Atletico, that would be a great upgrade.
As long as he can adapt to the league which is never a dead certainty. Herrera is doing just fine at the moment but we need signings to help rotate if anything as Jose doesn't trust Morgan or Bastian to come in and see a game out for one reason or another.

Denis79

We complained all last season the players didn't show any will to win or love for the club, that all the players were just mercenaries. Here we have a player that clearly has both traits, he works his arse off every game for the club and no one can say he doesn't care for the badge on the shirt. Even on the bench he goes mental when we score.

Why the feck are we questioning such players? Every club needs a Fletcher, Park etc. Just because he isn't spectacular to watch doesn't make him less important.

I love his mentality, perfect fit for us imo.

Devil81

Always felt he was average, but his simple style of play complements the flair players.

You basically need a player that will to do the dirty work, he keeps things simple and disrupts play where needed.

Mike09

I just prefer Herrera
We were talking about who is considered to be more complete Herrera or Dembele, I said Dembele and the other poster said Herrera. Not saying I would choose Dembele over Herrera in my team or Dembele is better.

But I must say in term of technically and physically I think Dembele is still better. As for mentality, I can't judge. And I don't rate centre midfield in their goals or assists unfortunately.

Frank Grimes

Herrera started well today and was our best player but then he became sloppy just before half time. He rarely goes a game without a spell of sloppiness but he also intercepts a lot and does a lot of important work. Has had a good season so far, just wish he'd cut out the sloppy shit that you never see a true top midfielder do.

IhabX7

He is excellent. Has been excellent all year, and hopefully remains excellent through out.

Nanotron

Has been subpar for a while now.

I honestly think he only starts because there is no other option in his position other than Fellaini.

Has always been inconsistent with his form since he came to the club. Needs a rest.

I wouldnt be surprised if Mourinho buys someone in midfield to replace him in the first eleven.
He is literally uniteds heartbeat. Appalling post.

Deleted member 101472

What do the fans who go to the games think of him? I love how when we have the ball in and around the box, he always finds space to make himself available when we have to recycle the ball.

Munkehboi

The guy is in the face of oppositions constantly. He makes so many interceptions and he clsoes down at the top end of the pitch a lot. Gotta love his commitement and energy. Does all the dirty work basically. Can pass as well! Just wish he could shoot :lol:

ti vu

His best ability is he knows the angle and when to press. See why Barcelona did take a liking to him. Great sharp, momentum pressing than industrial pressing like Kante, so in a sense he has this Makelele feel about him(I meant Herrera here).

In Rainbows

With Pogba and Carrick, Herrera is the best compliment. His workrate covers their slowness or lack of workrate or positioning, though Pogba has been doing better in that department. Pogba likes to go forward which I like as he has the ability to unlock a defense, but it does mean Herrera's workrate comes in handy to cover for him. Herrera also has the ability to make threatening passes, and has technique to keep the ball under pressure or to combine with others in the opponent's box. However, in those areas he isn't elite. If he was elite in those areas he would be one of the best midfielders on the planet.

I don't think there is anyone else in the squad that can do his job better than him. Our midfield would suffer without him.

reelworld

He's basically the new Fletcher. A valuable work horse.

His Hispanic name is always bound to create some hyperbolism though.
I agree with this, but you can also see that there are also people who are seriously underrating him, just like Fletcher was

mewnew11

People who think ander is average have surely never played football or have never played in midfield. I am pretty sure if you ask Jose he would say ander is his first name on the team sheet. Can pass, tackle, keep possession, he will walk into most of the teams.

He is no Pogba but Pogba is effective because he plays next to ander. Know what I mean?

My friends and me have a nickname for him - SEX. Pleasure to watch

Ban

Talk of an upgrade or even better that he starts cause there's no other option is stupid to put it mildly..

I hope he stays at United until retirement.

ROFLUTION

Some people seem to forget that workrate is a talent too. Beats everyone in the team in that aspect.

Fletcher was great in big games too. Constantly pressing and winning the ball back.

Its like Ander has what Pogba misses and vice versa. The synergy and combinations of that is more like 2+2=5

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
I would rather have an Ander Herrera who always tries his best than someone who is great when things are going well, but cannot be bothered when they aren't. He is a great blend with Carrick and Pogba. We do need someone to rotate but a replacement for Carrick is a bigger priority.