What next for Gareth Bale?

Jibbs

I won't mind him at United if Lukaku leaves and we get him for free.

JakeC

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2020/21
The only reason he hasn't been released yet is out of Madrids fear he joins a rival. It still wouldn't surprise me to see Bale line up on the other side of Madrid next season. Of course China is an option, but if the money is right elsewhere he won't go there.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
The only reason he hasn't been released yet is out of Madrids fear he joins a rival. It still wouldn't surprise me to see Bale line up on the other side of Madrid next season. Of course China is an option, but if the money is right elsewhere he won't go there.
It would also cost them 75m to release him.

Moriarty

When I was little I watched that course being built!
I used to play there with my mates. There was a mound known as deadman's hill which was reputed to be an old neolithic burial ground. My late brother used to run me down the old back lane on his BSA to go fishing on the Bollin.

Luke1995

I feel Buffon is done as a footballer. Apart from his experience with the younger lot I’m not sure what he adds?

I’m not complaining of course but was at fault for the PSG game last season when he fumbled it. Really think his signing for Juve again was just for experience. He won’t play in the big games surely?
Well he still has good positional awareness, just his reflexes are slower.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
So they offered him a contract for a year so he could break the appearance record? And that my friend, is why they will go another year without the CL. Enough sentiment. Why buy Ronaldo and then re sign Buffon who is done out here? It should be about winning trophies. Though I think Juve have a fantastic chance this year. It would be interesting to see if he gets any CL games as it’s the trophy that has eluded him. Those 8 games could come in the CL?
Buffon's just gone back to join the board (like Nedved did a few years back).

Pretty sure Szczesny will remain first choice and Buffon will get the odd game in Serie A.

Revaulx

I used to play there with my mates. There was a mound known as deadman's hill which was reputed to be an old neolithic burial ground. My late brother used to run me down the old back lane on his BSA to go fishing on the Bollin.
Neither Hale nor Hale Barns would admit Jews. Yes really - as recently as the early/mid 60s. So the Earl of Stamford spotted an opportunity and built a new (and very attractive) course on part of his estate that welcomed them.

Moriarty

Neither Hale nor Hale Barns would admit Jews. Yes really - as recently as the early/mid 60s. So the Earl of Stamford spotted an opportunity and built a new (and very attractive) course on part of his estate that welcomed them.
I didn't know that. I do know that there's a sizeable Jewish community in Hale and Halebarns as well as in Prestwich and Whitefield. Another place I used to fish was Mere as my old man knew a family that lived there. He was lucky enough to fish on Rostherne Mere before it was taken over by the bird watchers and fishing was banned. He used to say it was packed with some huge fish.

Andy_Cole

I’d swap him for Sanchez. Could work out for both clubs.

Funny enough rather than both clubs getting a player they want it’s an ‘I’ll take Bale only if you take Sanchez’ deal.

RedDevil@84

Go.To.Spurs.You.Twat.

Best chance to completely turn your career around and it would take Spurs to the next level.

It’s the most obvious and smart career move.

Take the pay cut and be happy again.
Assuming Bale is looking to be happy, wants to play challenging football, want to improve Spurs and all that.
We are not even sure whether he is happy to just take the big money, if it comes from Real or China.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
By release, I mean a free transfer, sorry.
That's the problem, players and agents get a cut of the transfer fee, failing that the player gets a huge signing on bonus if signing on a free, but he's already on £600k a week so no club will give him £800k a week including signing bonus.

Either way Real will have to pay him off, Bale is definitely making the situation a little awkward, but in the same situation I'd do the same (whoever wouldn't is crazy).

I believe this situation hasnt happened before, well, not to this extent.

DoomSlayer

That's the problem, players and agents get a cut of the transfer fee, failing that the player gets a huge signing on bonus if signing on a free, but he's already on £600k a week so no club will give him £800k a week including signing bonus.

Either way Real will have to pay him off, Bale is definitely making the situation a little awkward, but in the same situation I'd do the same (whoever wouldn't is crazy).

I believe this situation hasnt happened before, well, not to this extent.
We're kind of in the same situation with Sanchez. :nervous:

lemmiwink

I cant see a situation where Bale leaves RM without taking a massive paycut.

I mean, he can be world class on his day, but those days are becoming a very rare occurance.

I know he is only 30, but I feel he has been on the decline for 1,5 years already.

Do not want him at United on the wage he is on. It may cause an uproar in our group of players leading to more inflated wages, making it even harder to offload deadwood. Imagine if Lingard was on, say, 350k/week. I dread that scenario.

If he comes in at 250k/week I would take that gamble though.

MadMike

We're kind of in the same situation with Sanchez. :nervous:
How do you know? Did we try to offload him and he decided to stick around like a wank stain?

We thought we were in the same position with many other players previously (Schweinsteiger, Rooney, Ibra etc) only for them to take a pay cut and leave in search of playing time. Unless we try to push him and he does a Bale, then it's not the same.

MadMike

Yup, its either pay him £20m to leave, or have him at the club as a constant reminder of the screw up we made (all while hoping he turns it around).
The club doesn't seem to have given up on Sanchez, rightly or wrongly. They don't yet want to admit it's a failed transfer perhaps, but we don't seem to be wanting to cut our losses on him.

If/When it comes to that, then we'll know if the situation is similar to Bale's.

DoomSlayer

How do you know? Did we try to offload him and he decided to stick around like a wank stain?

We thought we were in the same position with many other players previously (Schweinsteiger, Rooney, Ibra etc) only for them to take a pay cut and leave in search of playing time. Unless we try to push him and he does a Bale, then it's not the same.
I'm just assuming, definitely hope you are right. Do you want him to be given another chance or should we have pushed him away this summer? I feel it's already too late for that.

MadMike

I'm just assuming, definitely hope you are right. Do you want him to be given another chance or should we have pushed him away this summer? I feel it's already too late for that.
I'm 90% certain that he won't ever get to a decent (never mind Arsenal years) level with us. Apart from his obvious decline, there's also the issue with the constant injuries and niggles now where he's in and out of the squad without rhythm. But we had so many changes to make to our forward line this year that I was happy perhaps to keep him for one more year.

Whatever happens Sanchez will leave on a free when he leaves (due to his salary) while Lukaku is still worth a fair whack, so I thought the priority should have been to offload Lukaku this summer and recoup as much money as possible before we lose more. Then there's other forward players like Mata and Lingard who I rate lower. So if we weren't able to attract a top forward, I was happy to go with Rashford, Martial, Sanchez and Greenwood forward line and spend the money elsewhere. At least it's mobile and technically adept strike force.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
Go.To.Spurs.You.Twat.

Best chance to completely turn your career around and it would take Spurs to the next level.

It’s the most obvious and smart career move.

Take the pay cut and be happy again.
The pay is what makes him happy. He does not have a special affinity with Tottenham. He wasn't a fan, nor a youth product there. Didn't win anything with them either

DoomSlayer

I'm 90% certain that he won't ever get to a decent (never mind Arsenal years) level with us. Apart from his obvious decline, there's also the issue with the constant injuries and niggles now where he's in and out of the squad without rhythm. But we had so many changes to make to our forward line this year that I was happy perhaps to keep him for one more year.

Whatever happens Sanchez will leave on a free when he leaves (due to his salary) while Lukaku is still worth a fair whack, so I thought the priority should have been to offload Lukaku this summer and recoup as much money as possible before we lose more. Then there's other forward players like Mata and Lingard who I rate lower. So if we weren't able to attract a top forward, I was happy to go with Rashford, Martial, Sanchez and Greenwood forward line and spend the money elsewhere. At least it's mobile and technically adept strike force.
Totally agree with all of your points. Let's hope for our sake that Ole can still find some use for Sanchez and kind of avoid a "Bale" situation.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
The pay is what makes him happy. He does not have a special affinity with Tottenham. He wasn't a fan, nor a youth product there. Didn't win anything with them either
They are what made him relevant so I feel like it would be awesome to see him go back there now that they are a better club then when he left and help them to even new heights.

I love the storylines:lol::D

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
Assuming Bale is looking to be happy, wants to play challenging football, want to improve Spurs and all that.
We are not even sure whether he is happy to just take the big money, if it comes from Real or China.
I just dont see the logistics working out even if he wanted to go back to Spurs. Even if RM subsidise 50% of his wages that leaves Spurs to pay 300k a week which they wont do. Their wage cap is 200k a week which is what Kane is on. He doesnt really fit that fast hard pressing style Pochettino demands of his players. He wouldnt be the main man at Spurs like he was before he left, that is Kane.

The only way it works is if Bale takes a pay cut and decides at 30 he has won his trophies, made his money and is happy to play a squad role. He certainly wouldnt be a bad option off the bench for Son or Moura in the 60th minute.

I think it's more realistic he goes to China or PSG, he's too old for Bayern's rebuild. I certainly dont want him here, we have one player on crazy wages not doing a lot already.

0le

The only similarity is that there are two players (Sanchez and Bale) on high wages that both teams want to shift, but their context is very different. For one, Sanchez has flopped here, Bale still contributed a significant amount to Madrid. Secondly, Sanchez doesn't seem to have refused to play at any point - he has still remained professional and tried his best, he's just declined too much. Bale on the other hand was reported to have refused to play in the pre-season game.

Ole’s Wheel

Supports
CR7
Asensio tore a ligament and is out for the year. That probably secures Bale staying for at least this season...watch Zidane change his tone about him now all of a sudden...

ZZ today: “Bale is one of my best players and would never consider selling him”.

Adcuth

Wonder if madrid would consider a swap between bale and Sanchez. Ratber have him on our books than Sanchez

De Portago

Supports
Red Star
Wonder if madrid would consider a swap between bale and Sanchez. Ratber have him on our books than Sanchez
Just out of curiosity, why would Real even entertain that kind of offer? They are trying to get rid of Bale due to his enormous wages and the fact that Zidane obviously doesn't see him as a starter. They swap him for Sanchez (say hypothetically everyone agrees) and they've accomplished what exactly? Brought a clearly inferior player on a slightly smaller wage? Makes zero sense...

Adcuth

Just out of curiosity, why would Real even entertain that kind of offer? They are trying to get rid of Bale due to his enormous wages and the fact that Zidane obviously doesn't see him as a starter. They swap him for Sanchez (say hypothetically everyone agrees) and they've accomplished what exactly? Brought a clearly inferior player on a slightly smaller wage? Makes zero sense...
It wasn't a serious question