What next for Mourinho?

Reddy Rederson

He got everything he wanted at chelsea and real madrid too, and didn't

(PS he didn't get exactly everything he wanted at inter. For example he wanted Deco. Club offered him Sneijder, and only convinced him when they made it clear the alternative was no one)
No he didn’t, and yes he did.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
No he didn’t, and yes he did.
Dude, stop. He got absolutely everything he wanted at real madrid. Everything. We even gave him a replacement for freaking iker casillas when he decided to bench him. He wanted the broken down ghost of Essien and we gave him that. He wanted Adebayor and we gave him Adebayor. He threw a fit over Fabio Coentrao and we went and blew €40m feckin euros on Fabio Coentrao. He got absolutely everything he ever asked for in madrid, we fired Valdano and gave him the full british style managerial job, the first and only man to ever get that at real madrid(until Zidane this summer. Maybe) - and failed spectacularly to deliver CL

GM K

I’ve read your opinions and posts about jose on here a lot - & we’re worlds apart in our opinions, for sure. Ive never believed Jose was the only issue at our club (structure being #1), but he had his fair share of blame, and even if he was supported - we might have been “challenging” in 1 season - we’d still not have won, but in the medium to long term we’d have found ourselves in bigger trouble (older players, higher wages etc). Even higher trouble then we are now. But that’s for another day.

One thing I wanted to say though is that that was a classy response from you. Fair play.
Thanks mate.

You do make very valid points.

You have my full respect.

Reddy Rederson

Dude, stop. He got absolutely everything he wanted at real madrid. Everything. We even gave him a replacement for freaking iker casillas when he decided to bench him. He wanted the broken down ghost of Essien and we gave him that. He wanted Adebayor and we gave him Adebayor. He threw a fit over Fabio Coentrao and we went and blew €40m feckin euros on Fabio Coentrao. He got absolutely everything he ever asked for in madrid, we fired Valdano and gave him the full british style managerial job, the first and only man to ever get that at real madrid(until Zidane this summer. Maybe) - and failed spectacularly to deliver CL
Dude, stop.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
HE WAS REFUSED HUGO ALMEIDA!!!! :lol:;)

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Would he really? Tuchel has been very vocal all season long about the club failing the sign players he needed...

Plus, at PSG he'd walk into a supercharged real madrid -where no less than two of his players could get him sacked with one word
Has Tuchel won anything in his career of note? They've supposedly offered Jose the job 2-3 times in the past. Of course his reputation has dropped given how this season panned out, but United's continued demise makes it look less bad by the week.

The two aren't mutually exclusive, but if it were a straight choice between having marketable players or winning the CL, I'd assume the owners of PSG would prefer the trophy. People can of course ridicule Jose's suitability for a team trying to win the CL, but I see logic in appointing him.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Has Tuchel won anything in his career of note? They've supposedly offered Jose the job 2-3 times in the past. Of course his reputation has dropped given how this season panned out, but United's continued demise makes it look less bad by the week.
They would have signed whoever Tuchel wanted if they could. They didn't, because they couldn't, not because they didn't want to

The two aren't mutually exclusive, but if it were a straight choice between having marketable players or winning the CL, I'd assume the owners of PSG would prefer the trophy. People can of course ridicule Jose's suitability for a team trying to win the CL, but I see logic in appointing him.
It's interesting to me how people believe managers matter more than star players. It's also interesting that people think a guy who last won the CL 9 years ago, before failing to do so at the richest club in the world, and who has done nothing of note in the competition since '14, gives them a better chance at it than the third best player in the world...

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
They would have signed whoever Tuchel wanted if they could. They didn't, because they couldn't, not because they didn't want to
I wasn't aware that was the reason. So they are trying to scale back a tiny bit in taking the piss with FFP?

It's interesting to me how people believe managers matter more than star players. It's also interesting that people think a guy who last won the CL 9 years ago, before failing to do so at the richest club in the world, and who has done nothing of note in the competition since '14, gives them a better chance at it than the third best player in the world...
That third best player in the world plays when he wants it seems. There is a huge gap between the two best players in the world and whoever comes third. Anyhow, I don't think there is any manager in the world that offers any sort of guarantee of CL success, not Pep, not Jose, not Zidane, no one. But there are a few who have been successful, and Jose is among those few. Tuchel has done nothing of note really.

Theonas

Scout

Winning the CL alone won't make PSG bona fide European elite the same way it did not to Porto, Inter or arguably Chelsea. If you want to be considered one of the true elites in the same mold of Real Madrid or Barcelona, you need to be consistently present in the latter rounds of the CL, playing pro active football and having top exciting marketable players. Those three depend factors depend very much on each other as a team can indeed win a CL without playing top quality football but one cannot be consistent in the CL for a period of 4 or 5 years without doing so. This is why Chelsea's win might have been the holy grail for them and their supporters but no one outside of that would consider them part of the very elite. The PSG fanbase is not what the Qataris are after just like the owners of Man City or any of the modern super clubs really. They are after the image the likes of Real Madrid enjoy.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Winning the CL alone won't make PSG bona fide European elite the same way it did not to Porto, Inter or arguably Chelsea. If you want to be considered one of the true elites in the same mold of Real Madrid or Barcelona, you need to be consistently present in the latter rounds of the CL, playing pro active football and having top exciting marketable players. Those three depend factors depend very much on each other as a team can indeed win a CL without playing top quality football but one cannot be consistent in the CL for a period of 4 or 5 years without doing so. This is why Chelsea's win might have been the holy grail for them and their supporters but no one outside of that would consider them part of the very elite. The PSG fanbase is not what the Qataris are after just like the owners of Man City or any of the modern super clubs really. They are after the image the likes of Real Madrid enjoy.
That just isn't plausible for PSG as they play in such an inferior league. The best they can do is buy their way (and get the right manager and blend of players) to the CL trophy. They can't cultivate anything close to those European giants unless there'll actually be a European super league in the coming years.

Theonas

Scout
That just isn't plausible for PSG as they play in such an inferior league. The best they can do is buy their way (and get the right manager and blend of players) to the CL trophy. They can't cultivate anything close to those European giants unless there'll actually be a European super league in the coming years.
I am not too sure about that. If over let's say a period of 5 years, they record something like a CL win and 3 other semi final appearances while playing a progressive brand of football, don't you think they will be considered European royalty?

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I am not too sure about that. If over let's say a period of 5 years, they record something like a CL win and 3 other semi final appearances while playing a progressive brand of football, don't you think they will be considered European royalty?
Maybe others would, I'd consider it a money club in a lesser league having short-term success until the owners get out. You just can't be European royalty without playing in a good league IMV (maybe a controversial point of view).

Theonas

Scout
Maybe others would, I'd consider it a money club in a lesser league having short-term success until the owners get out. You just can't be European royalty without playing in a good league IMV (maybe a controversial point of view).
Fair enough. My point was more about the impact of a singular big trophy be it the CL or the title. There is a lot of talk about how winning this title or that title is the ultimate aim. It was there with City before they won the PL and it is now for them and PSG and winning the CL. I think the super clubs or super clubs wannabes look for and need more than that. They need to be consistently challenging and of course winning which can only be achieved through a stable foundation of football quality. You can win a major trophy like Greece, Porto, Leicester or Chelsea and Inter CL wins through a brand of football that has very limited ceiling and it still won't make you one of the elites which is what the likes of PSG are looking for. So for them, even if Mourinho delivers that, it still won't be what they are looking for.

roonster09

FA Cup Predictions 2023/2024 winner
Scout
He got everything he wanted at chelsea and real madrid too, and didn't

(PS he didn't get exactly everything he wanted at inter. For example he wanted Deco. Club offered him Sneijder, and only convinced him when they made it clear the alternative was no one)
Not only that, he wanted Gerrard/Lampard, Drogba, Carvalho but Inter signed Milito, Motta, Sneijder, Lucio for various reasons. Ended up winning everything.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Not only that, he wanted Gerrard/Lampard, Drogba, Carvalho but Inter signed Milito, Motta, Sneijder, Lucio for various reasons. Ended up winning everything.
Mh, yes for Carvalho, no for the others. Quaresma, Deco and Carvalho were the only 3 players Mourinho asked for by name. Inter did sign Quaresma and made an attempt for Carvalho(this was year one). After Quaresma flopped, the following summer the club was far less willing to let Mou identify the targets directly. Iirc Deco was rejected by the club

roonster09

Scout
Mh, yes for Carvalho, no for the others. Quaresma, Deco and Carvalho were the only 3 players Mourinho asked for by name. Inter did sign Quaresma and made an attempt for Carvalho(this was year one). After Quaresma flopped, the following summer the club was far less willing to let Mou identify the targets directly. Iirc Deco was rejected by the club
He asked for Lampard too and both confirmed that in interviews later.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
He asked for Lampard too and both confirmed that in interviews later.
Don't remember that. Was never realistic anyways. I can believe inter tried though, given it's Frank Lampard in his prime

roonster09

Scout
Don't remember that. Was never realistic anyways. I can believe inter tried though, given it's Frank Lampard in his prime
There was lots of news about that and IIRC it was when Lampard wanted better contract. Later Jose said they were very close to signing him.

Eddy_JukeZ

I find it hilarious how people think PSG would be interested in Jose.

It's never happening.

Eddy_JukeZ

They’ve done that. Why they would continue to care I don’t know. If they next step to presenting themselves as European elite, then they have to win the cl. Jose would be the best chance for that as long as they write a blank cheque and give him everything he wants. IMO.
You are living in the past.

Jose at this moment is not even close to being the best bet for winning.

He's a has been manager. Once he implodes at his next job, maybe some of you will stop making excuses for him.

Jose hasn't been a WC manager since 2013. That's 6 years.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
There was lots of news about that and IIRC it was when Lampard wanted better contract. Later Jose said they were very close to signing him.
Summer 2008. Lampard was serious thinking of leaving Chelsea at the time but IIRC his Mum had just died and he was also splitting up with his partner. If he had better domestic situation he'd have gone I reckon and done well in Seria A.

Reddy Rederson

You are living in the past.

Jose at this moment is not even close to being the best bet for winning.

He's a has been manager. Once he implodes at his next job, maybe some of you will stop making excuses for him.

Jose hasn't been a WC manager since 2013. That's 6 years.
Or maybe it’s just that some people are so bitter they can’t see past their hate? Winning the europa league with this shower of shit is quite the achievement imo.

Canagel

Or maybe it’s just that some people are so bitter they can’t see past their hate? Winning the europa league with this shower of shit is quite the achievement imo.
Mourinho is past it. you guys are deluded if you think he's winning major trophy with stoke 2009 tactics.

We won the Europa because we were the best team in it. Not thanks to Mourinho. Nearly fecked it up vs celta and guidetti and scraped past anderlecht by the skin of our teeths.

Reddy Rederson

Mourinho is past it. you guys are deluded if you think he's winning major trophy with stoke 2009 tactics.

We won the Europa because we were the best team in it. Not thanks to Mourinho. Nearly fecked it up vs celta and guidetti and scraped past anderlecht by the skin of our teeths.
:lol: Not to sound like a pantomime audience, but oh no we werent. Not by a long shot.

De Portago

Supports
Red Star
Every team he eliminated along the way was comfortably worse.

Canagel

:lol: Not to sound like a pantomime audience, but oh no we werent. Not by a long shot.
So which teams/squads was better than us? :lol:
Only had to beat the mighty Fenerbahce, Feyenoord, st etteiene, Rostov, Anderlecht and youthful inexperienced Ajax. What a tough run.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Only had to beat the mighty Fenerbahce, Feyenoord, st etteiene, Rostov, Anderlecht and youthful inexperienced Ajax. What a tough run.
Surely it didn't seem right when you wrote it?:lol:

This will make me look bad but I absolutely disliked that EL trophy, we were terrible in every single game.

Reddy Rederson

So your basing the quality of those teams and ours based on their reputations and history? Well, thats certainly one way to go. Myself, I prefer to look at the fact we sucked as team and were lucky as feck in every single game.

Canagel

So your basing the quality of those teams and ours based on their reputations and history? Well, thats certainly one way to go. Myself, I prefer to look at the fact we sucked as team and were lucky as feck in every single game.
We wasn't the favorites at the start of the season for nothing. We were the strongest team in it.
Whos fault is it if we sucked and was lucky? Hardly the stellar achievement of Mourinho you're making it out to be.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
You couldn't be more wrong.
We were massive favourites from the off, and I don't remember too much difficulty the whole way through?

Reddy Rederson

You couldn't be more wrong.
We were massive favourites from the off, and I don't remember too much difficulty the whole way through?
Of course we were, because once again it was based off what we used to be. It still goes on today, people in the media talking about us like we are still a giant. In reputation only is that true.

Reddy Rederson

We wasn't the favorites at the start of the season for nothing. We were the strongest team in it.
Whos fault is it if we sucked and was lucky? Hardly the stellar achievement of Mourinho you're making it out to be.
sigh. So its still the manager? No matter how many shit performances these players put in, its still the manager? I admire your dedication. And we were the strongest team it, we just had the reputation as the strongest team in it. Kind like how martial has this reputation that hes a great player even we all know its not really true. Its hype. Same with lingard. The hype machine took a shit and died and people still believe we have world class players when the truth is we have lazy spoiled players who dont work for the club or the fans. Jose was pissed off about that and people hated him for it.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
From what I remember of europa run all the tricky teams got drawn v each other once the knock outs started. I remember Villareal-Roma got drawn in last 16 together then Roma lost to someone else.

Ajax or Lyon over two legs would've been tougher than Celta Vigo who you very nearly lost to.

Bit like Portugal being in the softer half of the draw at euro 2016.

roonster09

Scout
sigh. So its still the manager? No matter how many shit performances these players put in, its still the manager? I admire your dedication. And we were the strongest team it, we just had the reputation as the strongest team in it. Kind like how martial has this reputation that hes a great player even we all know its not really true. Its hype. Same with lingard. The hype machine took a shit and died and people still believe we have world class players when the truth is we have lazy spoiled players who dont work for the club or the fans. Jose was pissed off about that and people hated him for it.
Replace players with coach, you have perfectly described Jose. Past it, arrogant, spoilt brat, worst attitude in the squad.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Of course we were, because once again it was based off what we used to be. It still goes on today, people in the media talking about us like we are still a giant. In reputation only is that true.
We won it though. So the odds weren't exactly wrong!

Reddy Rederson

We won it though. So the odds weren't exactly wrong!
A fecked clock is right twice a day, whats your point? City were favourites to win the CL, should we consider them to be shit now that they are out of it? Odds mean feck all. United regularly get high odds even though we've been dog shit for years.

roonster09

Scout
So its four manages, not the group of players who wont work hard for the team? Cool.
Yeah, because all 4 managers played same players.

Under Van Gaal Manutd were 3rd in distance covered, under Jose we were 20th in both seasons.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
So its four manages, not the group of players who wont work hard for the team? Cool.
Most of the players haven't worked for four managers and ironically the ones that did work for four managers aren't the ones that people criticize for their workrate.