What next for Mourinho?

AJ10

The reality is that Jose was making steady progress before this season and for whatever reasons the club halted that progress by doing little in the last windows. First season, he won the Europa and the small cup. Second season he got us to second and FA Cup final against all odds. The signs were there that we would have contested for the title. At the very least, we had made a psychological progress. Why kill that?
What progress? During the second part of last season our football was beginning to look worse by the game/we started to even park the bus vs lower teams/Tactics were just to sit back and hope not to concede and get a goal from a long ball or corner/having no intention to attack/ Jose showing early signs of 3rd season syndrome and pissing of everyone<<<< Not progress which makes you title contenders vs city. The only reason we finished second was due to our early few months of the season and other teams focusing on the Cup competitions later on while we were getting worse.

Our Fa cup run to final: Derby, Yeovil,Huddersfield Town, Brighton and finally a decent team in spurs......Yeah against all odds. :lol:

Psychological progress? Jose blaming everyone but himself for our shit football, throwing every player under the bus, defending for our lives vs bottom half teams (playing like cowards, yeah Big Psychological booster that one).

Start of this season was just continuation from the all that steady progress we made during the second part of last season. When we badly needed a RW/RB he bought a young RB (not a first team player) and bought a 50 mil midfielder to not play him until he gets a CB (:lol:).

Fact is this, Jose gave up when things didn't go his way and the start of the season was just him defending himself and blaming everyone else (for his mistakes) then he finally got his pay day.

But yeah................Progress.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I actually think Mou would make a great presenter for The weakest link. Or one of the sharks in shark tank.

GM K

What progress? During the second part of last season our football was beginning to look worse by the game/we started to even park the bus vs lower teams/Tactics were just to sit back and hope not to concede and get a goal from a long ball or corner/having no intention to attack/ Jose showing early signs of 3rd season syndrome and pissing of everyone<<<< Not progress which makes you title contenders vs city. The only reason we finished second was due to our early few months of the season and other teams focusing on the Cup competitions later on while we were getting worse.

Our Fa cup run to final: Derby, Yeovil,Huddersfield Town, Brighton and finally a decent team in spurs......Yeah against all odds. :lol:

Psychological progress? Jose blaming everyone but himself for our shit football, throwing every player under the bus, defending for our lives vs bottom half teams (playing like cowards, yeah Big Psychological booster that one).

Start of this season was just continuation from the all that steady progress we made during the second part of last season. When we badly needed a RW/RB he bought a young RB (not a first team player) and bought a 50 mil midfielder to not play him until he gets a CB (:lol:).

Fact is this, Jose gave up when things didn't go his way and the start of the season was just him defending himself and blaming everyone else (for his mistakes) then he finally got his pay day.

But yeah................Progress.:rolleyes:

Yeah, progress.

Spin it any way, down play it all you want. It was progress and we sabotaged it.

Europa Cup (first time ever in our history since playing it), EFL Cup, we got back to Champions League (back to back), we beat Liverpool, Spurs, Chelsea, Arsenal to come second on the table, we got to the FA Cup Final. Yeah, that is progress considering where we were since Sir Alex left. We could have and should have built on that. We should have leveraged on that to take us back to our rightful place at the pinnacle of world football. Last Summer was crucial. Whatever we did then was either going to push us closer to catching City or push us further down. Well, we sure made a smart choice.

AJ10

Yeah, progress.

Spin it any way, down play it all you want. It was progress and we sabotaged it.

Europa Cup (first time ever in our history since playing it), EFL Cup, we got back to Champions League (back to back), we beat Liverpool, Spurs, Chelsea, Arsenal to come second on the table, we got to the FA Cup Final. Yeah, that is progress considering where we were since Sir Alex left. We could have and should have built on that. We should have leveraged on that to take us back to our rightful place at the pinnacle of world football. Last Summer was crucial. Whatever we did then was either going to push us closer to catching City or push us further down. Well, we sure made a smart choice.
The level of delusion is strong with you. Spin it? you mean like state actual facts?

you think we'd be close to city with a man in charge whose best tactics were to lump it to the big man up front after defending for 70 mins vs lower teams.

:lol::lol: You Jose fans.

GM K

The level of delusion is strong with you. Spin it? you mean like state actual facts?

you think we'd be close to city with a man in charge whose best tactics were to lump it to the big man up front after defending for 70 mins vs lower teams.

So, that we got back to the champions league, won Europa, won EFL, came second the following season, got to FA Cup Final, are not facts but delusions? That we could have leveraged on those and moved closer to City is not a fact but a delusion? Oh yeah, I am deluded like you stated.

Aloysius's Back 3

They want to build on what Jose left :lol: Lukaku & Fellaini, Bailly and Matic. Strong foundations to build upon.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Wait, you guys actually believe PSG would sell Neymar for Mourinho? :lol::lol::lol:
I can only imagine Mourinho's face when he is summoned to Doha after criticizing Neymar in a press conference.

haram

Park the bus better?
This is the sort of thing which blinded people from our actual problems. This is why people came to the conclusion that all we had to do was attack more. They never had a real solution to how we can actually create better away from home, apart from of course play Pogba and Martial higher up the pitch. If Pogba is removed from deeper areas please someone tell me how exactly can we transition and build play? Who was going to do it?

Aloysius's Back 3

This is the sort of thing which blinded people from our actual problems. This is why people came to the conclusion that all we had to do was attack more. They never had a real solution to how we can actually create better away from home, apart from of course play Pogba and Martial higher up the pitch. If Pogba is removed from deeper areas please someone tell me how exactly can we transition and build play? Who was going to do it?
Funny how that's only an excuse to your manager but not others. But it's okay il let it pass.

haram

Funny how that's only an excuse to your manager but not others. But it's okay il let it pass.
Ole is “my manager”. I support Manchester United. I have my opinions on football in general. When people criticised Sarri for the positioning of Kante I defended him. Is he my manager as well? People cant handle that I don’t sit and eat up popular opinions and narratives.

It’s very easy to criticise Mourinho. Park the bus. Defensive. Youth killer. Yeah yeah we get it.

AJ10

So, that we got back to the champions league, won Europa, won EFL, came second the following season, got to FA Cup Final, are not facts but delusions? That we could have leveraged on those and moved closer to City is not a fact but a delusion? Oh yeah, I am deluded like you stated.
Didn't we win those trophies in the first season? Where we were decent.

Second season - he had money to spend where he neglected to fill the positions which needed to be filled like RB/RW etc and during that second season we got progressively worse week by week after new years and that form continued into this season. I know you think we got to the Fa cup final against all odds:lol: but we didn't face anyone decent besides spurs and in the league we were trash after new years and in CL we were a joke, defending for our lives vs the mighty Sevilla.

Then this season - Once again he neglected positions where we actually needed to fill but bought a 50 mil midfielder (who he wasn't going to play until he got a CB) and a young RB when we needed a experienced one. We parked the bus vs lower teams forget about top teams/ it was all about lumping it to the big man up front.

I love how Jose fan boys forget about the money he has spent but concentrate on this season (70 mil) lack of spending. Lets we forget he had 4 windows to get the likes of smalling/jones/young/ fellaini and other trash out (but they were the first names on the sheet) and actually bring in players for the position we needed to fill. Give more money to a man whose tactical masterclass was defending deep vs lower teams then lumping it to the big man.

Calling you delusional isn't based on what we won in the first season or the mighty journey we took against all odds to get to Fa cup final by beating the likes of Derby/Yeovil/Huddersfield/Brighton then spurs. But I am calling you delusional for thinking we could have got close to city with a man in charge whose tactics were to defend for 70 mins then lump it to the big guy <<<<against lower teams not big teams and a manager whose main players were fellaini/Mct/Young/smalling/jones/lukaku/matic/Valencia (the man knew quality players, just the type of players we need to match city).

Going season by season shows real progress i have to say. Win trophies first season > second season - Neglect key positions which needed to be filled/Football got worse week by week/struggle vs lower teams> Third season - Neglect key positions/park the bus vs lower teams, have no intention of attacking/Lump to the big guy.........Thats the Real progress which we could have Leveraged to get close to city. :rolleyes:

Jose really did a number on you, poor sod. :lol:

Eddy_JukeZ

I can only imagine Mourinho's face when he is summoned to Doha after criticizing Neymar in a press conference.
Don't think he'd even be summoned.

They'd phone him how he's getting sacked.

PSG are not going for Mourinho. And neither are Bayern.

AJ10

They want to build on what Jose left :lol: Lukaku & Fellaini, Bailly and Matic. Strong foundations to build upon.
Lets not forget he wanted to bring in the old boys from inter and chelsea. Just the players we needed to build for the future.

roonster09

FA Cup Predictions 2023/2024 winner
Scout
Lets not forget he wanted to bring in the old boys from inter and chelsea. Just the players we needed to build for the future.
Transition better, Stretch defense and gain 100 points.

GM K

Didn't we win those trophies in the first season? Where we were decent.

Second season - he had money to spend where he neglected to fill the positions which needed to be filled like RB/RW etc and during that second season we got progressively worse week by week after new years and that form continued into this season. I know you think we got to the Fa cup final against all odds:lol: but we didn't face anyone decent besides spurs and in the league we were trash after new years and in CL we were a joke, defending for our lives vs the mighty Sevilla.

Then this season - Once again he neglected positions where we actually needed to fill but bought a 50 mil midfielder (who he wasn't going to play until he got a CB) and a young RB when we needed a experienced one. We parked the bus vs lower teams forget about top teams/ it was all about lumping it to the big man up front.

I love how Jose fan boys forget about the money he has spent but concentrate on this season (70 mil) lack of spending. Lets we forget he had 4 windows to get the likes of smalling/jones/young/ fellaini and other trash out (but they were the first names on the sheet) and actually bring in players for the position we needed to fill. Give more money to a man whose tactical masterclass was defending deep vs lower teams then lumping it to the big man.

Calling you delusional isn't based on what we won in the first season or the mighty journey we took against all odds to get to Fa cup final by beating the likes of Derby/Yeovil/Huddersfield/Brighton then spurs. But I am calling you delusional for thinking we could have got close to city with a man in charge whose tactics were to defend for 70 mins then lump it to the big guy <<<<against lower teams not big teams and a manager whose main players were fellaini/Mct/Young/smalling/jones/lukaku/matic/Valencia (the man knew quality players, just the type of players we need to match city).

Going season by season shows real progress i have to say. Win trophies first season > second season - Neglect key positions which needed to be filled/Football got worse week by week/struggle vs lower teams> Third season - Neglect key positions/park the bus vs lower teams, have no intention of attacking/Lump to the big guy.........Thats the Real progress which we could have Leveraged to get close to city. :rolleyes:

Jose really did a number on you, poor sod. :lol:

To guys like you someone who likes or supports or makes a case for a manger like Jose is a 'Jose fanboy' or 'Jose really did a number' on such or is a 'poor sod'. I find that strange because you don't know me or how long I have supported this club.

You have a right to the opinions you hold so passionately about Jose and anyone who makes a case for him. I have no problem with that. We both apparently see the last three seasons differently, which is normal. We can't all see the same way.

Let's allow this to slide, mate. I suspect we both agree on one thing: what matters most now is for the club to get back to somewhere close to those golden years under Sir Alex. Best wishes.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I could easily see him go to PSG if they sack Tuchel. He'd have the financial backing he wants and they'd get a manager more likely than most others to get the CL success they crave.

Canagel

I could easily see him go to PSG if they sack Tuchel. He'd have the financial backing he wants and they'd get a manager more likely than most others to get the CL success they crave.
Wishful thinking. PSG isn't touching Mourinho with a barge pole. he has been irrevlant on the European stages since 2013 and his prime had finished even before it.

Mourinho is not a top manager. He is far away from producing the football the likes of Ajax, Barca and Liverpool is produced this week.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Wishful thinking. PSG isn't touching Mourinho with a barge pole. he has been irrevlant on the European stages since 2013 and his prime had finished even before it.

Mourinho is not a top manager. He is far away from producing the football the likes of Ajax, Barca and Liverpool is produced this week.
I'm not hoping he gets the job, so it's not wishful thinking. But you certainly sound like you are the supreme authority on Mourinho :lol:

Mind, I'm not exactly sure what Liverpool produced this week.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Would he really? Tuchel has been very vocal all season long about the club failing the sign players he needed...

Plus, at PSG he'd walk into a supercharged real madrid -where no less than two of his players could get him sacked with one word

Reddy Rederson

Wait, you guys actually believe PSG would sell Neymar for Mourinho? :lol::lol::lol:
What’s more important? Winning outside of the Mickey Mouse league or some knob end that’s done nothing to further that goal? PSG would be smart to get Jose and give him everything he wants. He’d get them where they want to be. It won’t be pretty like I said, but he’ll get them what they are after.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
What’s more important? Winning outside of the Mickey Mouse league or some knob end that’s done nothing to further that goal? PSG would be smart to get Jose and give him everything he wants. He’d get them where they want to be. It won’t be pretty like I said, but he’ll get them what they are after.
Unlikely. Ultimately players are the most important. Neymar and Mbappé are the biggest stars of PSG, they will always come before any manager.

AJ10

To guys like you someone who likes or supports or makes a case for a manger like Jose is a 'Jose fanboy' or 'Jose really did a number' on such or is a 'poor sod'. I find that strange because you don't know me or how long I have supported this club.

You have a right to the opinions you hold so passionately about Jose and anyone who makes a case for him. I have no problem with that. We both apparently see the last three seasons differently, which is normal. We can't all see the same way.

Let's allow this to slide, mate. I suspect we both agree on one thing: what matters most now is for the club to get back to somewhere close to those golden years under Sir Alex. Best wishes.
Like you said we all see things differently, nothing wrong with that but IMO we got progressively worse during that second season and that continued this season but you see that as progress, which is baffling to me. I have nothing against Jose as he is (was) a top manager but his time here was just a joke compared to what I expected of him (playing young/smalling/jones/fellaini/Valencia etc wasn't what i expected) but each to their own, I guess.

My remarks about someone being a jose fan boy etc isn't based on me being against anyone making a case for him (as i am sure there can be a valid case for him) but its more to do with the sheer ridiculousness of the claims made for him. Like you said he wasn't backed but completely Ignore he had 4 windows to build a team and he neglected the main positions which needed to have quality players when he had money. This season our deadwood was going no where and he would have sold Martial and Pogba only to bring in 2 old boys from Chelsea/Inter (according to reports).

I am not sure how keeping our deadwood on the first team sheet and adding 2 old boys/fred+ getting rid of Pogba/Martial makes us stronger and makes us challengers like you claimed. These are the claims made for jose which to me only can be made by Jose (can do no wrong) camp while ignoring everything he did wrong and not someone who sees his tenure for what it was. The argument you made could have been stronger IF we didn't play shit in his second season and he truly didn't have hundreds of millions to spend then I'd agree with you But not with him having had millions to spend and we progressively getting worse by the week.

Anyways, at the end of the day We both want United to be back on top.

Hope we see that, sooner rather than later.

Canagel

I'm not hoping he gets the job, so it's not wishful thinking. But you certainly sound like you are the supreme authority on Mourinho :lol:

Mind, I'm not exactly sure what Liverpool produced this week.
:lol:

The financial backing doesn't mean much without top level coaching. If teams with lesser resources could outplay us here what will stop the same from happening to PSG in the CL? Mourinho has done nothing of note in the CL for years and will be disastrous appointment if that's the goal.
The rest of his drama and baggage isn't worth it for the league they could win with no manager. The only clubs that will consider Mourinho are the second/third tier clubs like Inter, Lyon, Sevilla etc

Liverpool played a very good match in the most toughest away ground of Europe. Mourinho in contrast had gone to a midtable LA liga team and parked the bus only to still lose in his last knockout match. That was the comparison I intended to make.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
The narrative and the image. If it was about football you would have a point but it's not, the win not being pretty and a manager that is all about us vs them is exactly what Qatar don't want from a PR standpoint. That's why I would be extremely surprised if they go with Mourinho, I could see them compromise and go with someone like Allegri but Mourinho isn't corporate enough.

Ish

Lights on for Luke

I’ve read your opinions and posts about jose on here a lot - & we’re worlds apart in our opinions, for sure. Ive never believed Jose was the only issue at our club (structure being #1), but he had his fair share of blame, and even if he was supported - we might have been “challenging” in 1 season - we’d still not have won, but in the medium to long term we’d have found ourselves in bigger trouble (older players, higher wages etc). Even higher trouble then we are now. But that’s for another day.

One thing I wanted to say though is that that was a classy response from you. Fair play.

Reddy Rederson

The narrative and the image. If it was about football you would have a point but it's not, the win not being pretty and a manager that is all about us vs them is exactly what Qatar don't want from a PR standpoint. That's why I would be extremely surprised if they go with Mourinho, I could see them compromise and go with someone like Allegri but Mourinho isn't corporate enough.
They’ve done that. Why they would continue to care I don’t know. If they next step to presenting themselves as European elite, then they have to win the cl. Jose would be the best chance for that as long as they write a blank cheque and give him everything he wants. IMO.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
PSG i doubt will go near him. Too much defensive football. Like Simone or Conte.

PSG would more than likely go for Erik Ten Hag.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
They’ve done that. Why they would continue to care I don’t know. If they next step to presenting themselves as European elite, then they have to win the cl. Jose would be the best chance for that as long as they write a blank cheque and give him everything he wants. IMO.
They blew 400 millions on Neymar and Mbappé, plus whatever stupid money they pay them in wages, and whatever else

They are not suddenly going british, putting the whole project into the hands of a manager

Plus i note that Mourinho was at chelsea for 3 years, got everything he wanted and more and failed to deliver the CL. Same story at Madrid

De Portago

Supports
Red Star
He didn't win it at Real, with a stacked team spearheaded by Ronaldo. There's zero guarantee he'd be able to do it at PSG.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
They are not not going to hire him because of his lack of winning the champions league in the more recent past.

They wont hire him because of his style. The same with simone or conte. Both who play defensive, win 1-0, football.

Reddy Rederson

They blew 400 millions on Neymar and Mbappé, plus whatever stupid money they pay them in wages, and whatever else

They are not suddenly going british, putting the whole project into the hands of a manager

Plus i note that Mourinho was at chelsea for 3 years, got everything he wanted and more and failed to deliver the CL. Same story at Madrid
No he got everything he wanted at inter and won the treble.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
No he got everything he wanted at inter and won the treble.
He got everything he wanted at chelsea and real madrid too, and didn't

(PS he didn't get exactly everything he wanted at inter. For example he wanted Deco. Club offered him Sneijder, and only convinced him when they made it clear the alternative was no one)