What next for Mourinho?

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
That's a good question.:lol:

I would like to see him in a smaller club though, at the moment he doesn't handle well scrutiny.
Back when I was young, the most talked about manager was Arrigo Sacchi. Jeez how excited he was.He was the first to bring in attacking football back in a rigid 'Catenaccio' Serie A football, but that's not all. His team was breathtaking. AC Milan's defence was solid rock. his midfield a joy to behold and his forward line was a goal machine.

When he moved to Italy, the vibe was that he'll win the WC easily. Sacchi left Vialli and Mancini out of the WC squad because of some stupid joke. That alone would drive everyone mad but not this time round. Sacchi might (and was) an A Class Ahole, who would leave top talent simply because he wanted to make a point and had just decided that AC Milan was good enough to win the WC but he was Sacchi and Sacchi = success. It turned out that it didn't and when an amazing Baggio got injured there was no one available in that Italian squad who had the necessary experience/attitude to carry the team to success. After that Sacchi's myth shattered. How could this Brazil, filled with Serie A rejects/small timers beat Italy. Taffarel was at feckin Reggiana, Dunga had just finished his career at Pescara, young Aldair was already decent at Roma but he was no Baresi, Mazinho was decent at Fiorentina etc.

After that experience his career took a nosedive. Success became non existent, his excuses and near misses increased. He argued with everyone around him including his no 1 disciple Capello who he mentored at AC Milan. Finally it effected his health too and was forced out of football. In some part its a tragedy but football speaking it was a god sent as he might easily have ended like Clough did. Nowadays they invite him to talk shows to have a laugh at him as he always ends up coming out with obsolete solutions to problems or ends up questioning why some random player cant do what good old Van Basten used to do. When friendly nudged by managers (ex Allegri) that his line of thought might be a bit meah, he goes full defensive mode while demanding respect and challenging them to win the CL.

In many ways Mourinho reminds me of Sacchi. Both bought success (Mourinho more then Sacchi tbh although the former won more), both changed football, both remained stuck to their ideology even though football moved on and both are kicking and screaming their way into oblivion. I am not trying to justify United. We're in shambles at board level. However those who blame us for Mou's decline need to acknowledge that the guy had failed to reach expectation in both of his previous jobs too. Some might even say he jumped ship at Inter because he was scared of facing the daunting experience of keeping Inter on top without an open cheque book at his disposal.

If you ask me, United had exposed Mou's weaknesses. His inability to identify the right talent, build sides that endure time, tweak his system to fit the situation and keep the players motivated. This will cost him big time as transfer fees had grew so big that very few clubs can give managers a blank cheque with little to no regard of what happens next anymore. Even the great Real Madrid are hesitating now (Pogba, Neymar, Mbappe)

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
If you ask me, United had exposed Mou's weaknesses. His inability to identify the right talent, build sides that endure time, tweak his system to fit the situation and keep the players motivated. This will cost him big time as transfer fees had grew so big that very few clubs can give managers a blank cheque with little to no regard of what happens next anymore. Even the great Real Madrid are hesitating now (Pogba, Neymar, Mbappe)
It was evident back at Chelsea, but he successful managed to hide behind the "it's anyone but the managers fault" stigma the media have put on us.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
@devilish That was an interesting post, I used to watch italian shows and Capello is also a bit of a clown in the sense that they look at him as if he was dinosaur. For me the most telling example is Trapattoni because it's a football great that coached in Europe way beyond his peak and everyone accepted it because it's normal, it's strange that people don't accept that reality when it comes to more recent managers.

Crackers

greasy ginfers
Time off, and then international management or an easy job on the continent. Needs to take a break and reinvent his management style or get left behind

svn

It doesn't feel like there's any obvious destination. I'd love to see him at a really unfashionable club and see how he does.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Way left field one would be Beckham getting him for his Miami franchise which might be up and running in next 18 months (lost track whether they got the go ahead for the stadium).

Otherwise one of Milan clubs or Portugal in 2020.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Stiff shit for him. He may not have a choice. Why do you think he has a god given right to walk in to a big club? This is where he's at these days. He's a poor manager and should be at a poor club.
Pretty sure he went on record a while ago saying he had no real interest in working for non top 6 club in any major league.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
It was evident back at Chelsea, but he successful managed to hide behind the "it's anyone but the managers fault" stigma the media have put on us.
@devilish That was an interesting post, I used to watch italian shows and Capello is also a bit of a clown in the sense that they look at him as if he was dinosaur. For me the most telling example is Trapattoni because it's a football great that coached in Europe way beyond his peak and everyone accepted it because it's normal, it's strange that people don't accept that reality when it comes to more recent managers.
The point is that these managers feeds us success, arrogance and confidence which makes it difficult to pinpoint flaws like for example what they would do if they weren't constantly given open cheque books or if their success was indeed value for money. Sacchi is a glaring example of that. His AC Milan was, in my opinion, the best team I've ever seen, better then Pep's Barcelona. Yet, when you go into the trophies there's relatively very little to show for it. Same with Mourinho at Inter. Sure he won the treble but that same team built on crazy expenditure collapsed few years later as IT WAS OLD.

There's also another issue that is often ignored ie the staff the manager has its own disposal to make things work. Mourinho inherited a great side from Ranieri who already had Terry, Lampard, Makalele, Gallas, Duff and Cole. Roman's money did the rest. Their scouting team was able to unearth talent like De Bruyne, Salah, Lukaku, Hazard and that wasn't enough, Roman bought our CEO who brought SAF's own scouting work to their disposal too. That makes it easy for a manager to do well. Sacchi also had a similar situation with a world class youth academy at his disposal + a then top DOF, not much in terms of talent but in terms of persuading Berlusconi to spend ridiculous money on the top players.

If you ask me United exposed Mourinho's flaws. For the first time he was allowed near full power with the responsibility such great power brings to it and failed miserably. Don't take me wrong, very few people can take that which explains why the system is obsolete. However I can't help to think that SAF was in that situation for more then 2 decades and what an incredible success he was in it.

PGLFC91

Supports
Liverpool
Can't see him ever working in England again unless its the national team. I still think he is too young for that and will want the Portugal job possibly as his last.

Bayern are struggling currently and he still hasn't been in the Bundesliga but his style of play would put them off I feel. He could end up doing a second stint at Inter or Real.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
It will happen. But personally, the club was in pieces when Luciano Spalletti picked it!
I already said currently he is worse than Spalletti, he wouldn't improve them at all. And Moratti isn't the owner, honestly can't see a guy like Marotta wanting someone like him.

Stick

Supports
Liverpool
Maybe Real Madrid in the summer. Failing that I can see him going got the PSG or Inter job whichever one opens up first.
Doesnt Perez really rate Mou and dislikes Ramos and the power he currently holds in the dressing room?

Stick

Supports
Liverpool
I think Mourinho needs a job where the club have a decent bit of money and are willing to back him completely with the way he treats his players and how he spends the money. If Villa or Leeds got a serious backer I think those jobs would really suit him. Big fan base who have suffered big time in the last 20 years. Give them a taste of success and a few unproven players and you could have a relaunch of Mou. That's only if he wants to go that route though. He may just look for the next big job around Europe.

spiriticon

I would love to see the fallout at PSG if he goes there.

If he can't handle Pogba's ego, he has no chance with Neymar.

damageinc.

Supports
the unknown
Bayern. I think that the Mourinho journey isn't over, he will challenge a new League in another top club in Europe and the germans are the ultimate challenge for him I think and then he will come back to Inter for sure

Last edited:

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
If I'm a betting man, between Mourinho and United on who's gonna win a trophy next my money is still on Mourinho.
Not a bad call.
Now we have had time to think I believe that the following is close to what happened.

Finishing second last season was a pretty good achievement but he was roundly criticised for the negative style of play.

He reacted to this by planning a more adventurous style in order to compete with his rivals but quite rightly knew that the defence had to be much stronger to cope with this so he asked for new players. Perfectly understandable.

We all know the outcome and Jose reacted the way he tends to by complaining to anyone who would listen.

I still maintain that the home defeat by Tottenham 1-3 was a turning point. United tried to attack but were cut to pieces so being a pragmatist, he knew that he had no chance of competing with not just his arch rival Pep but also Liverpool.

That led to mim taking his anger out on players who he saw not giving enough effort and we know who they are.

I am not saying that he was trying to get the sack but he knew that he was not going to win the PL or CL with his squad and so there was only going to be one outcome.

JohnnyKills

I've thought for a long time that he'll end up as Russia NT boss. He's a good age to take on a national job, and he's got links with Russia having done RT over the summer. And the Russian team is horribly negative, so they'd suit him.

Other than that, perhaps he'd go back to Inter or Porto. Valencia would be a great shout for him as well, given their standing in Spain and his relationship with Peter Lim.

There was a big debate on Spanish TV about whether he'd be a good fit for Real Madrid again, but can't see that happening personally. He's pigeon-holed himself with his last two jobs; great with average teams, not so good with elite ones.

Judas

Open to offers
The England national team plays too high a quality football for us to ever go near Mourinho now, few years ago he’d have been the man for us, but not anymore.

El Zoido

He’s still a good manager, I don’t agree with the argument that he’s a dinosaur and that his methods are no longer applicable in the modern game.

Any manager would struggle with the way this club is run, but when you have a confrontational personality such as Mourinho, it’s a recipe for disaster. If takes over a club with a better structure he’ll bring trophies.

SteveW

Please let Real take him
Please let Real take him
Please let Real take him
Please let Real take him

Alabaster Codify7

I see him having one final gig in big-club management. No idea who, but one final gig. After that, he'll do Portugal for 2yrs and then become a mercenary international manager - Russia, Saudi Arabia, China, Qatar. Highest bidder stuff.

SirAF

Ageist
He’s still a good manager, I don’t agree with the argument that he’s a dinosaur and that his methods are no longer applicable in the modern game.

Any manager would struggle with the way this club is run, but when you have a confrontational personality such as Mourinho, it’s a recipe for disaster. If takes over a club with a better structure he’ll bring trophies.

Correct.

diarm

He'd be an idiot to go back to Inter. It's the only place he still has a reputation worth a shite.

If he goes back hell ruin that too and be left with no one who likes him anywhere.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
I already said currently he is worse than Spalletti, he wouldn't improve them at all. And Moratti isn't the owner, honestly can't see a guy like Marotta wanting someone like him.
I can see it happening. It's a good political decision and the fans would be all over the place. The return of the triplete hero. #SQN

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
Real or PSG (if Tuchel cannot reach CL semi this season). Dont think he would go back to Inter. Juve is so dominant, Jose knows he'd be fecked if doing that.

This isnt like anything having happened before in Jose's career. He totally failed, massively miserable, inexcusably. To fix 'The Special One' image, his next club must be a success, there is no different way.

He cant risk it anymore, not even once. Hence he would go to a club having huge resources and winning potential
Juve won't be dominant forever, football works in cycles. Eventually they'll have a bad season, same way that Monaco won over PSG and Dortmund seem like favourites to win it this year in Germany there will be plenty of chances in Italy too. Inter and Napoli are the most likely teams to win a title after Juve, they have good enough players, they have the money, he's loved there and the style of football won't be a problem in Italy.

Inter is the place to go, he's not guaranteed success but success isn't really expected either so the crazy expectations wont be there.