What next for Pochettino?

So why would they revert to a manager who hasn't exactly set the world alight and learn from their mistakes?

I'd say Juve are more inclined to go for Amorim or a more exciting manager of a similar ilk.
Depends what you mean by “set the World alight”, I think he did a cracking job at Southampton and Conte is looking like another in a line of managers proving what a great job he did at Spurs.
PSG is neither here nor there for me, I don’t think clubs will take much consideration to it.

If Juve sack Allegri, I’d be amazed if Poch and Tuchel aren’t interviewed.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Depends what you mean by “set the World alight”, I think he did a cracking job at Southampton and Conte is looking like another in a line of managers proving what a great job he did at Spurs.
PSG is neither here nor there for me, I don’t think clubs will take much consideration to it.

I'd imagine, based on nothing but a guess, that Tuchel would be head and shoulders above Poch in any list for managerial contender's for vast majority of clubs.

Poch's Southampton days are years ago and his 'success' there was more to do with Cortese than any managerial greatness. It's no shock that Southampton haven't been anywhere near those heights since Cortese left.

His tenure at Spurs was tainted by his last season, also in hindsight with the team he had a trophy should have been achievable.

Tuchel however has near enough guaranteed trophies at any top club.

Tuchel however has near enough guaranteed trophies at any top club.
Funny how our minds twist things.

Both won the league in France, both were also responsible for half a season each in France for coming second.

After his few month honeymoon at Chelsea, he somehow picked up a CL, but won no other trophies there (silly closed off one match trophies aside) once he settled and starting creating his own team. It’s not far off what Di Matteo achieved, out of the blue with no foundations.

In Germany he won a single cup.

I personally think Poch’s achievements at Spurs far trump that, as Mou & Conte are also proving.

So whilst I agree he’s likely higher up on most managerial wishlists, he doesn’t guarantee trophies, at all.

Abraxas

Would be a great signing for Villa. His ability at fairly mediocre PL sides is proven. I reckon he'd be tempted as well as he seemed a natural fit in the PL and decent jobs aren't always round the corner.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Why? Low risk high reward job, he could ask for a short term contract if he wants, if he doesn't back himself to succeed there then he's done at the top level anyway.

Everton didn't kill Ancelotti's career despite being shite.
Ancelotti had a track record of winning stuff and he is at the end of his career. Pochettino has nearly no success in his career, his next move better yield silverware.

Champ

Funny how our minds twist things.

Both won the league in France, both were also responsible for half a season each in France for coming second.

After his few month honeymoon at Chelsea, he somehow picked up a CL, but won no other trophies there (silly closed off one match trophies aside) once he settled and starting creating his own team. It’s not far off what Di Matteo achieved, out of the blue with no foundations.

In Germany he won a single cup.

I personally think Poch’s achievements at Spurs far trump that, as Mou & Conte are also proving.

So whilst I agree he’s likely higher up on most managerial wishlists, he doesn’t guarantee trophies, at all.
So Tuchel doesn't guarantee trophies despite winning one at his last three clubs?

Ok then!

As for 'somehow won the champions league ' as if that's a fluke. He is a cup manager and knows how to win knockout cups.

Conte has been there what, one season and finished top 4, difficult to to quantify that against Poch's multiple seasons.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
They took on Pirlo and then took the awful decision of rehiring one of the most boring managers in the game. So yeah, they will 100% consider him.
Saw a few reports from Italian journalists the last few days Juve want Conte back. They seem to think with him not discussing a new contract (up at the end of the season) and also his family still being in Italy and a few other points, that he will jump at the chance to go back there in the summer.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Going to Villa would be a huge step back for him. It would be like going back to Southampton.

crossy1686

career ending
Going to Villa would be a huge step back for him. It would be like going back to Southampton.
Huge fall from grace if he takes that job, surely his agent or someone would advise against it. They'll be bigger jobs on the market post WC and next summer, he should just wait and hope a big club get desperate.

crossy1686

career ending
Saw a few reports from Italian journalists the last few days Juve want Conte back. They seem to think with him not discussing a new contract (up at the end of the season) and also his family still being in Italy and a few other points, that he will jump at the chance to go back there in the summer.
They need Conte to be fair, he was great in the league for them and suits Italian football. He also won't win anything at Spurs so it's not like he has the PL or CL in his sights with them.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Villa would probably give him time and would be less pressure

I think the Juventus job will be on the market soon and that would more attractive for him but it comes with a big challenge.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I think the problem with teams like Villa is that they don’t offer anything that allows you to give them the success they’re after. They have ambition to be a top 5/4 team, like half the premier league do. They spend well, but again, so do at least 10/11 other clubs in the league, there’s no obvious advantages that Villa can offer which teams like Leicester, Brighton don’t also have.

I think the Premier League is too established at the top for a club that aren’t already there to realistically break into it, unless you become the richest club in the world like Newcastle.

Skills

Snitch
Not enough to make a dent on the top 6
No, but the top 6 isn't really an establishe group. Year to year, there's enough volatility in their to make a decent run for 5th or 6th place.

Like Rodgers and Leicester, he should also have a chance at making a cup run or even the Europa or Conference league.

crossy1686

career ending
No, but the top 6 isn't really an establishe group. Year to year, there's enough volatility in their to make a decent run for 5th or 6th place.

Like Rodgers and Leicester, he should also have a chance at making a cup run or even the Europa or Conference league.
I don't think Pochettino considers himself a coach that should be aiming for the occasional 5th place finish.

On top of that, it doesn't matter how much money you have as a club when there's 6 other teams ahead of you with much bigger reputations and equal funding which good players are always going to chose over you.

If Pochettino takes the job his career managing top teams is over, especially when you consider he hasn't actually won anything that anyone on this forum couldn't win at PSG.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Villa have money
That’s great. If he wants to be taken seriously he needs to be at teams competing in the Champions League. Not trying to finish in the top half of the PL again.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
I’d be very surprised if they are: Pochettino is Inzaghi level and Agnelli would surely get the latter, in case (Marotta would be happy as well to shift that soft loser to another club). Tuchel is a nutjob and the club cannot accommodate him, neither financially nor technically on the market.

Allegri is going to stay, then it’s a former player already used to the club (Deschamps, Tudor, Conte) or someone younger to try and change philosophy with a new hierarchy on top.

Skills

Snitch
I don't think Pochettino considers himself a coach that should be aiming for the occasional 5th place finish.

On top of that, it doesn't matter how much money you have as a club when there's 6 other teams ahead of you with much bigger reputations and equal funding which good players are always going to chose over you.

If Pochettino takes the job his career managing top teams is over, especially when you consider he hasn't actually won anything that anyone on this forum couldn't win at PSG.
Those jobs aren't there though - remember Thomas Tuchel is also out of a job at the moment, and Antonio Conte is managing Spurs.

He might have had a shot at the Chelsea job if Abramovic was still around, but Boehly has a completely different approach.

His best bet is Tuchel getting a job, and Perez sacking Ancelotti & giving Poch a trial run for part of the season as a caretaker.

So Tuchel doesn't guarantee trophies despite winning one at his last three clubs?

Ok then!
Every single manager guarantees them at PSG in fairness.

After his honeymoon, he won nothing for Chelsea so if you’re giving him massive cred fot that, give it to Di Matteo also.

1 cup in Dortmund is the one I fully credit him for, but they won that again in 2021 also so it’s hardly some great achievement.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Huge fall from grace if he takes that job, surely his agent or someone would advise against it. They'll be bigger jobs on the market post WC and next summer, he should just wait and hope a big club get desperate.
Chelsea overlooked him just a few weeks ago.

Not convinced the CL elite want him after the disappointing PSG stint and him seemingly not enjoying having to handle and manage so many egos in the squad.

If the Newcastle job unexpectedly came up next week Pochettino would be in contention for that I reckon so that's sort of club he'll return to.

Perhaps he's waiting until next summer as he probably feels like he has unfinished business at Spurs and Conte could easily leave and that's and easy one for Levy to re-appoint him.

Those jobs aren't there though - remember Thomas Tuchel is also out of a job at the moment, and Antonio Conte is managing Spurs.

He might have had a shot at the Chelsea job if Abramovic was still around, but Boehly has a completely different approach.

His best bet is Tuchel getting a job, and Perez sacking Ancelotti & giving Poch a trial run for part of the season as a caretaker.
His best bet is probably waiting for Conte to go and going back to Spuds.

crossy1686

career ending

I think he's destined to go back to Tottenham in the summer personally. It's the only place that will consider him and match his ambitions as big time bottlers.

saivet

He's better off being patient and a better offer will come. Going to Villa would cause him more harm than good as it's a tough job with not all that much upside. Him stabilising them and being a top 7 side would be good but isn't going to get him any big jobs.

crossy1686

career ending
Chelsea overlooked him just a few weeks ago.

Not convinced the CL elite want him after the disappointing PSG stint and him seemingly not enjoying having to handle and manage so many egos in the squad.

If the Newcastle job unexpectedly came up next week Pochettino would be in contention for that I reckon so that's sort of club he'll return to.

Perhaps he's waiting until next summer as he probably feels like he has unfinished business at Spurs and Conte could easily leave and that's and easy one for Levy to re-appoint him.
Well he's proven he can't handle the elite and their mentality, he also lacks ideas and doesn't quite have that winning mentality. He will get over looked constantly because he hasn't actually won anything, a CL final appearance just isn't enough. If he does take a Newcastle job he's basically saying the next 5 years are all or nothing, he either wins stuff and gets them playing good football or he's gone after a couple of years and prays Tottenham want him back at some point, otherwise it's back to Southampton.

Champ

Every single manager guarantees them at PSG in fairness.

After his honeymoon, he won nothing for Chelsea so if you’re giving him massive cred fot that, give it to Di Matteo also.

1 cup in Dortmund is the one I fully credit him for, but they won that again in 2021 also so it’s hardly some great achievement.
For sure I agree with the PSG comment,

We're not talking about Di Matteo so not sure why you keep mentioning him, and for sure he deserves enormous credit for winning the Champions League.

Tuchel also managed to get in multiple finals with Chelsea, his trophy haul should have been more. Much like had he stayed at Dortmund he could well have won more.

I think you are being disingenuous towards Tuchels record in order to try and prove your point when it's clear if you want trophies you call on Tuchel over Poch.

Champ

As above, Spurs don’t have anything like the resources of PSG nor Chelsea.
Right, so that diminishes Tuchels achievements how?

Poch only had one season whereby he didn't spend money, he actually spent a fair bit at Spurs, yes not up to United, Chelsea City et al, but he averaged out at nearly £90m spend per season, this myth he didn't spend is just that, a myth. Let's be real, Leicester have recently won a premier League and an FA cup spending similar if not lower amounts of money, it can be done.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
Thought Poch shouldve replaced Potter at Brighton. That was (and still is) a club on the up, with a strong foundation and really solid playing style and group of young players. If he went there are got them into Europe (from relatively similar circumstances to when he took over at Spurs) his reputation would have rocketed.

Villa, im less sure. Feels like a less natural fit. I could see him going back to Spurs after Conte.

redshaw

There were reports of Poch wanting to go back to Spurs and Levy wanting him back while at PSG but timing made it impossible. Perhaps he can wait for Conte to leave.

Abraxas

Is his stock really high enough to wait around for a top job? I'm not convinced. Rightly or wrongly I think his name has lost some lustre over the last few years. I don't think he'd be the man in demand for top sides, I think he'd often be a fallback option. Villa is not a bad job, they're doing horrendous, you can't really do worse and he may well get funds.

crossy1686

career ending
Has he?

You think ETH would get away with this Ronaldo treatment if they were both at PSG? Like feck he would :lol:

A huge part of the job is pleasing Neymar, Mbappe & Messi, not creating a football team.
He would if the board backed him to manage the team as he sees fit.

Part of the problem at PSG is that the players, who have won everything there is to win, saw that he didn’t have the right mentality to grind wins week in, week out. He got rumbled almost right away.