What players would you keep?

Out of the 24 players listed, realistically how many would you move on if you were United manager?

• Total voters

Drummer

There is a lot of discussion about quality of the players left behind by SAF. Just curious what players people would get rid of if they had the opportunity factoring in injury proneness and age:

Defence
Rafael
Ferdinand
Vidic
Evra

Evans
Buttner
Jones
Smalling
Varela

Midfield
Carrick
Mata
Nani
Fellani
Fletcher
Giggs
Young

Valencia
Januzai
Cleverley
Kagawa

Attack
Wellbeck
Rooney
RVP
Chico

For me, I personally think we are ok up front (if RVP stays committed).

In defence, we have to presume that Rio, Vidic and Evra are all leaving. Not sure what Varela or Buttner bring to the table and I would have injury concerns over Smalling, Jones and Evans!. But I cant very well get rid of entire defence so I would persist definitely with Smalling, Jones, Evans and Rafael

In Midfield, I wouldn't be quick to retain Young or Cleverley. Depending on my formation I am not sure where Kagawa (whom I like) fits into the team. He plays the same position as Rooney/Mata so I am not sure where he fits into any plans a united manager could have. I wouldn't get rid of Giggs but think time is catching up on him. Fletcher is not somebody I want to see sold, but if I was being ruthless I would wonder if a club looking to challenge for the league and champions league can afford to be sentimental with squad places.

So for me, even though its always unadvised to make this many changes in one season, if we were in football manager land, I would think that there is a good shout for anywhere up to 10 squad places that could reasonably be targeted. Preferably half of them would be starting spots.

Kag

I'd actively get rid of/sell/retire the following:

Ferdinand
Vidic
Buttner
Anderson
Cleverley
Young
Valencia
Giggs
Hernandez

...as well as shite like Macheda and Bebe.

Chorley1974

Lady Ole
There is a lot of discussion about quality of the players left behind by SAF. Just curious what players people would get rid of if they had the opportunity factoring in injury proneness and age:

Defence
Rafael
Ferdinand
Vidic
Evra

Evans
Buttner
Jones
Smalling
Varela

Midfield
Carrick
Mata
Nani
Fellani
Fletcher
Giggs
Young

Valencia
Januzai
Cleverley
Kagawa

Attack
Wellbeck
Rooney
RVP
Chico

For me, I personally think we are ok up front (if RVP stays committed).

In defence, we have to presume that Rio, Vidic and Evra are all leaving. Not sure what Varela or Buttner bring to the table and I would have injury concerns over Smalling, Jones and Evans!. But I cant very well get rid of entire defence so I would persist definitely with Smalling, Jones, Evans and Rafael

In Midfield, I wouldn't be quick to retain Young or Cleverley. Depending on my formation I am not sure where Kagawa (whom I like) fits into the team. He plays the same position as Rooney/Mata so I am not sure where he fits into any plans a united manager could have. I wouldn't get rid of Giggs but think time is catching up on him. Fletcher is not somebody I want to see sold, but if I was being ruthless I would wonder if a club looking to challenge for the league and champions league can afford to be sentimental with squad places.

So for me, even though its always unadvised to make this many changes in one season, if we were in football manager land, I would think that there is a good shout for anywhere up to 10 squad places that could reasonably be targeted. Preferably half of them would be starting spots.
Not that I want to but I think a striker will need to go. There's no way we are keeping all 4 of those content to stay, Wellbeck & Hernandez are getting to the age where they want more games, and the Rooney/ RVP / No 10 problem will also continue.

Kag

I don't like the poll. Realistically, we'd only need actually 'sell' a few players. Rio and Giggs leaving was always going to be a formality, and not indicative of a wider dearth of talent in the squad.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Rio and Vidic look like they are leaving.

Hope Evra will stay but he might not.

Have a feeling Nani and Hernandez might not be here next season, though both are good players that I would keep if I had the choice.

Young can move on IMO, though doing so is not easy given his wages etc.

Aside from that a major shake-up is not necessarily the best way to take things forward. The above, and with 4-5 likely coming in, is major enough.

Let's not forget promotion from within. The likes of Powell and Januzaj have big futures, Smalling and Jones should become more prominent, and further down the line the likes of Varela, Johnstone, Rothwell etc.

Tyrion Lannister

I'd get in a new manager who is able to coach these players to better things, just as the previous one did. Let the new manager decide who stays and who goes.

Danny1982

Sectarian Hipster
The poll is misleading. There are a few players that don't really feature heavily in the squad but need to be moved on, which would pump up the number of players to be moved, but it will give the wrong impression that the squad needs more changes that it should. The number is misleading here.

Defence
Rafael
Ferdinand
Vidic
Evra
Evans
Buttner
Jones
Smalling
Varela

Midfield
Carrick
Mata
Nani
Fellani
Fletcher
Giggs
Young

Valencia
Januzai
Cleverley
Kagawa
Anderson

Attack
Wellbeck
Rooney
RVP
Chico

Drifter

American
Gone for 4-8,closer to 8 .We need an overall.Need to trim down bring in a few quality players and promote those young players with real potential.

Drummer

The poll is misleading. There are a few players that don't really feature heavily in the squad but need to be moved on, which would pump up the number of players to be moved, but it will give the wrong impression that the squad needs more changes that it should. The number is misleading here.

Defence
Rafael
Ferdinand
Vidic
Evra
Evans
Buttner
Jones
Smalling
Varela

Midfield
Carrick
Mata
Nani
Fellani
Fletcher
Giggs
Young

Valencia
Januzai
Cleverley
Kagawa
Anderson

Attack
Wellbeck
Rooney
RVP
Chico
Its not misleading at all, I was only asking who people would keep . .

Incidentally how would you fit Kagawa into a side that would most definitely have Mata and Rooney starting ahead of him in his favoured position ?

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
The only players that I would ensure we keep are:
DDG
Rafael
Jones
Evans
Mata
Januzaj
Rooney
RVP

Paolo Di Canio

"we have to realise it's a doggy dog market"
I would phase Carrick out at this stage, keep De Gea, Lindegaard, Rafael, Evans, Jones, Smalling, Mata, Nani, Kagawa, Fletcher, Powell, Januzaj, Rooney, Welbeck, Hernandez and Van Persie

So keep 16 players really, I would be sad to see Giggs go too, id ask if he wants to continue himself

Out: Evra (6 mil), Ferdinand (retired), Vidic (not my choice- free), Fellaini (15 mil), Valencia (15 mill), Young (15 mill), Buttner (2 mill), Macheda (2 mill), Bebe (free), Cleverley (23 mil based on young english player tax), Fabio (8 mil), Anderson (free), Zaha -(17 mil) = £103million (figures may not be realistic to actual players value)

Bring in: Fabio Coentrao(12m), Mats Hummels + Marco Reus (54 million) , Toni Kroos (27 million), Ivan Rakitic (15 million) William Carvalho (15 million), Adam Lallana (25 million) = £138 million

Squad for Next Season:

David de Gea
Anders Lindegaard

Rafael da Silva
Guillermo Varela
Phil Jones
Johnny Evans
Mats Hummels
Chris Smalling
Fabio Coentrao

Michael Carrick
Ryan Giggs
Ivan Rakitic
Darren Fletcher
William Carvalho
Nick Powell
Toni Kroos
Juan Mata

Nani
Adam Lallana
Marco Reus
Shinji Kagawa
Adnan Januzaj
Jesse Lingaard

Danny Welbeck
Javier Hernandez
Wayne Rooney
Robin van Persie
Will Keane

Probably need another couple of fullbacks

Last edited:

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
It's a difficult question because we had this spine of winners in the squad, the likes of Giggsy, Scholes, Neville etc. who just had no time for mediocrity. They were winners and nothing else was acceptable. There's a few players left with that mentality in Giggs, Rio, Fletch, Evra - but they're getting on a bit and not performing as they used to (Giggsy aside :lol:). It's difficult because you want to ensure that mentality isn't diluted as the squad changes over; but equally you need your eleven most talented players on the field.

Defence
Rafael
Ferdinand
Vidic
Evra
Evans
Buttner
Jones
Smalling
Varela

Midfield
Carrick
Mata
Nani
Fellani
Fletcher
Giggs
Young
Valencia
Januzai
Cleverley
Kagawa
Anderson

Attack
Welbeck
Rooney
RVP
Chico

Would be it from me for one season. Bring in Shaw/Coentrao and Coleman to give Evra and Rafael some competition. CM and a winger and we're golden.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Vidic, Evra, Rio and Giggs will be retiring or leaving.

Then I wouldn't be bothered if we cleared out Anderson, Young, Cleverley and Nani to make room in the squad for new signings.

Crashoutcassius

I think we need depth in the 'wide' areas but Young/valencia are just too different to kagawa/mata to be working in the same system... or maybe that's not true? What do people think?

I think elsewhere we just need new faces in CM and keep Carrick and Fletch on for depth but be aware that they are 33 and 31. In defence I wouldn't sell anyone. I think letting the older players leave (Rio/Evra) isn't a terrible idea and I think perhaps one or both of Young and Valencia

Danny1982

Sectarian Hipster
Its not misleading at all, I was only asking who people would keep . .

Incidentally how would you fit Kagawa into a side that would most definitely have Mata and Rooney starting ahead of him in his favoured position ?
I think we need cover for rotation. We can't depend on a single line-up like Arsenal, only for them to collapse when the starters get injured and pass through an out of form period. And all three are great players. Besides we can also shuffle the position a little if needed (e.g. Van Persie injured, Rooney in front, Mata or Kagawa behind him).

The thread is not misleading, it's a good thread actually. Naming the players is good. Making a poll about the number is a bit misleading imo.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
How do you manage to leave out the goalkeepers, and you list a player in the reserves as a first team player?

The poll is misleading, I would personally keep 15 of those.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Defence
Rafael
Ferdinand ] - He's the best defender United had in SAF's reign. However its his time to retire.
Vidic - Hes leaving
Evra
Evans
Buttner - Id rather see us bring a young full top quality full back (Shaw?) and let him go.
Jones
Smalling
Varela (loan) - He needs 1 year of regular EPL football to be taken seriously.

Midfield
Carrick
Mata
Nani - On paper he's excellent. He's got great technique, pace and creativity + he can play on both flanks. However for a strange reason it didn't work out for him. Its time for him to go.
Fellani
Fletcher (loan) - I love Fletcher. However he's like Varela (although for different reasons)
Giggs - Its time for Giggsie to retire. The last thing I want to see is him ending the Gaz way.
Young - He's seriously out of depth at United.
Valencia - Moyes need to show that he mean business and wont tolerate players who underperform. Valencia of old would have been great for this side however that ship sailed long ago.
Januzai
Cleverley (loan)
Kagawa - I love Kagawa however we have already too many no 10. Playing him as a winger is a waste

Attack
Wellbeck
Rooney
RVP
Chico - - We're probably play with a lone striker and having Rooney, Mata, Welbeck and RVP is more then enough.

Loublaze

ATLien
I'd get in a new manager who is able to coach these players to better things, just as the previous one did. Let the new manager decide who stays and who goes.
I agree with this 100%. The main problem is the manager, not the players. Fix that first and let the new and better manager decide whats best for the team.

Mystry

Friendship is magic
Rio and Vidic are pretty much gone, I'd try to keep Evra and get rid of Buttner but it could easily be the other way round just as long as we bring a left back in. One of Young or Valencia could go, prefer the former seeing as Valencia can play right back in emergencies and is likely on less money. Also if Hernandez wanted to go, I'd let. I love the guy but we have too many number 10s and strikers and I'd much prefer us to start us playing with only one striker anyway.

That's about it. I don't think we need a major overhaul or surgery to the squad, certainly not this summer and besides extensive work in one window tends to not go well anyway, like Spurs this season.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I'd get rid of buttner, Cleverley, and Young.

Hernandez is as good as gone.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
If I was in charge, I'd get rid of Rio (well not extend contract), Buttner, Fellaini, Young and then probably RVP.

Valencia, Nani, Kagawa, Januzaj, Mata and a new signing would be a very good group for the 3 behind the striker.
Up front, I love RVP, but we can only play with 1 striker. Hernandez is a great option to have, Welbeck is young and homegrown and versatile, meanwhile Van Persie is turning 31, a bit injury prone, and is a world class player so would need to be starting.
Midfield we need to get sign 2 new players IMO, we already have Fletcher and Carrick to be good defensive squad players, no need for another in Fellaini. For the more passing type player, at least for now I'd keep Cleverley and Giggs as back up. Cleverley isn't good enough for United but we can't sign everyone in one summer, so we just need to focus on starters this summer.
Defence I'd keep Evra, bring in Shaw, and have them play half the games each pretty much, phasing Evra out. Buttner isn't good enough, so he goes. Rio should retire, Vidic can still give experience and with good tactics can still be a good player.

Pretty much it. We don't need a huge makeover ideally, just 2 new midfielders, an experienced center back and a winger (not even that necessary). Seeing as Evra is leaving though, we can add a left back to the list, and a few other squad players to replace the ones that will be leaving.

Blasphemy

Ferdinand - Past it
Vidic - Past it
Evra - Past it
Giggs - Not quite past it, but we should be aiming better
Buttner - Crap
Fellaini - Crap
Valencia - Crap
Young - Crap
Van Persie - Huge wages for someone injured so often, want to play Rooney as a 9.

Replace that with one winger, two centre backs (one who can play left back as well), two central midfielder and one left back.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Sell:
Lindegaard
Vidic
Evra
Büttner
Cleverley
Fellaini (never gonna happen but he's just not right for us)
Anderson
Young
Valencia
Zaha
RVP (He's one of my favourite players but we can't sell Rooney, we can't play both of them and he won't be happy playing second fiddle)
Chicharito (Again, absolutely one of my favourites but he needs to go to get game time)
Macheda

Retire:
Giggs
Ferdinand

First XI next year (in a 4-2-3-1 with the three interchanging behind the striker):
De Gea
Rafael
One of Jones, Smalling or Evans (one of because they're all injury prone and they don't work as a pairing with one of the others)
New centre back
New left back
New centre midfield
New centre midfield

Nani/Januzaj
Kagawa
Mata
Rooney

Bench:
New backup keeper/Amos
The others of Jones/Smalling/Evans

Varela
Carrick
Fletcher
Welbeck
Henriquez?

Important to actually give the likes of Kagawa and Nani a chance to gain some form in their proper positions. Perhaps have Mata and Nani swap so Nani is on the right (as he's shown he's brilliant on the right and not so on the left) even if we are having them interchange.

I suspect however that we'll end up selling Kagawa to Dortmund so perhaps we'll get Reus. Can't see us getting Gundogan as either a realistic prospect whilst fit or for the fact he may or may not be crocked for good.

I also suspect Nani will leave and we'll keep Valencia and Young.

Last edited:

bucky

de Gea, Lindegaard, Amos
Rafael, Evra, Evans, Smalling, Jones
Carrick
Mata, Januzaj, Nani, Kagawa
van Persie, Rooney, Welbeck, Hernandez

+ Powell, W. Keane, M. Keane

Crashoutcassius

I agree with this 100%. The main problem is the manager, not the players. Fix that first and let the new and better manager decide whats best for the team.
yeah but this manager is probably staying, and we have no say, so can we not have one discussion in here assuming moyes stays? its just boring in here otherwise

Crashoutcassius

I'd love Kagawa to stay but I understand if he moves on.

I'm not going to enjoy when people say 'moyes let kagawa go and kept young' as if it was a straight choice between the two. Kags is good enough to star in germany, young is happy to be a squad player, and there will also be the matter of who will pay young 120k a week?

Still I would really hope whatever system Moyes has in mind next season it is combining Mata/Januzaj and Kagawa, even though defensively/physically that lineup is appalling, with really good CMs and full backs giving width/strikers stretching the play it could be really nice

kundalini

Out: Fellaini, Rooney, Young, Valencia, Rio, Vidic and either Evra or Buttner depending on whether Evra wants to go.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
OP ruined thread by including Varela but...

Here is who I would move on.

Evra
Buttner
Rafael
Ferdinand
Young
Cleverley
Fletcher (coaching staff)
Valencia
Giggs (coaching staff)

Here is who will go anyway

Vidic
Hernandez
Kagawa
Anderson

Here is who would stay

DDG
Lindegaard
Evans
Smalling
Jones
Fellaini (because fck you)
Carrick
RVP
Rooney
Mata
Januzaj
Nani
Welbeck

Here is who would get promoted

Powell
M. Keane
Varela
Janko
Zaha
W.Keane

Here is who I would bring in

Coleman
Shaw
Chiellini
Kroos
Carvalho
Reus
Costa

Final Squad

De Gea
Lindegaard

Coleman
Varela
Jones
Smalling
Chiellini
Evans
M.Keane
Shaw
Janko

Carvalho
Fellaini
Carrick
Kroos
Powell
Mata
Nani
Januzaj
Reus
Zaha

Rooney
Van Persie
Welbeck
Costa
W.Keane

Starting XI

Last edited:

Shinjisan

Account closed by request
Vidic, Ferdinand, Buttner, Anderson, Young, Nani, Hernandez & Kagawa.

New Squad -

GK - De Gea, Lindegaard
Defense - Rafeal, Varela, Evra, Luis/Shaw, Evans, Smalling, Jones, New CB, M.Keane
Midfield - Carrick, Fellaini, Cleverley, Fletcher, Giggs, Kroos, Powell
Attack - Van Persie, Rooney, Welbeck, Mata, Januzaj, Valencia, Reus, Lingard, Zaha, M.Keane/Henriquez

Revan

Assumptionman
Ferdinand, Vidic, Evra, Buttner, Cleverley, Fellaini, Anderson, Giggs, Valencia and Young out.

Keane, Zaha, Varela and Powell promoted.

2 central midfielders (Herrera and Kroos/Gundogan), two left backs (Centrao and someone young and cheap) and a center back to get signed.