• Liverpool win

Votes: 120 36.1%
  • City win

Votes: 157 47.3%
  • Draw

Votes: 55 16.6%

• Total voters

CallyRed

Context doesn't matter at all. A United fan should always want Liverpool to lose under all circumstances.
Except that time when we were going for the title in 1995, we needed them to win/draw against Blackburn, which they did.
Only for us to feck it up against west ham.

Patrick08

Context doesn't matter at all. A United fan should always want Liverpool to lose under all circumstances.
And could digest the sight if city lands pl and ucl and league cup?

Liverpool are not going to go through against Madrid Barca or bayern because they are ucl veterans and actually respect the opposition unlike stubborn pep teams.

Handsome Devil

You could feasibly have a subtext to this question and it could apply to any major knockout competition, and this is:
Would you rather see Liverpool go out in the QF or SF? (the final is sailing too close to the wind.)
Normally you would opt for QF as that is it, done and dusted, hopes dashed for another year, next year will be our year la', and all the usual nonsense, but in the current circumstances that means the Pep machine cruises on.
If you opt for SF, you have the added relish of another RAWK meltdown and another bombardment of conspiracy theories as to why they really lost, fuelled by the fact that they got so close.
Tough call.

Rista

The whole idea of wanting Liverpool to go through because "City have a much better team" is just bizarre. If they're capable of beating City over two legs, or even demolishing them, then surely they stand a decent chance against other sides as well.

It is City's PL form that is clouding people's judgement. Pep is seen as a god and his side is already being talked about as the best in PL history and yet they've shown notihng so far aside from one great domestic season. Lots of people thought Conte and Chelsea were unbeatable last year too.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Liverpool winning first leg is a good result but would have liked if they had just 1 or 2 goal advantage. City will rest players in the derby and will go all out attack on Liverpool.

3 goal deficit is hard to overturn but if they can score early then good chance they might take it to extra time.

Patrick08

Liverpool winning first leg is a good result but would have liked if they had just 1 or 2 goal advantage. City will rest players in the derby and will go all out attack on Liverpool.

3 goal deficit is hard to overturn but if they can score early then good chance they might take it to extra time.
I think Liverpool will back themselves to get an away goal and I think they will get it they have enough ability to do that.

Also I hope now Everton beats them in the derby on weekend:D, while we get 3 points vs city to completely take the shine of their title win and spoil their premature arranged party.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
My twitter feed this morning seems to be full of journos splurting their pants over Liverpool and the wonder of the anfield atmosphere. It's sickening.

ZAGREB RED

Not that one. City winning the CL is slightly less sickening than Liverpool winning it.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Hah I was waiting for that comment, but context matters. Any other situation I'd rather see Liverpool lose, but the context was the whole reason for this thread. Just my preference for the aforementioned reasons, it's more I'd rather see City lose than Liverpool. I.e. I dislike City more than I do Liverpool.
Glad that you got what you were waiting for.

It's Liverpool. Enough said. You don't make it sound like you dislike City more. You speak as if you literally couldn't care if Liverpool won the competition which is strange.

amolbhatia50k

I don't think Liverpool have any chance what so ever to go through against any of Barca, Madrid or Bayern. Those teams can actually defend unlike overrated 250 m city defense who is untested so far because all they do is hold the ball so much.

And as far as Uefa's Spanish bias goes I won't be surprised at all if they meet Madrid in the semis with first leg at home at Anfield for Liverpool. I could bet that English teams were going to be paired together as you will never see Barca Madrid face off so early in quarter finals which will spoil the fun for them.
Except they do. It's clear that Liverpool can win the champions league this year. If they go to Barcelona in the semis and Messi gets sent off/they get an early away goal, you think they have zero chance of winning the tie? Because that's just not true. Of course they have a chance even though there are better teams in the compeition.

Openshaw53

If you're from my part of Manchester you are absolutely delighted this morning , hopefully I’m even more pleased next Weds morning.

As for Sat it's pretty much nothing game , the bitters have won the league in a canter of course I hope we dick them big style to keep in second place, them winning the title on Sat means nothing.

As for the Scoucers I’m still not convinced they will get through but I will show my backside in Lewi's's window if they get through the semi.

Last edited by a moderator:

meamth

Liverpool to crush City and then Liverpool to be crushed by Bayern next round just to hear them scream "This is our year!!!!"

And then I will come here to read Rawk goes into meltdown.

This will take some time to have some impact but when it happens.. That satisfaction :drool:

Schneckerl

If they go to Barcelona in the semis and Messi gets sent off/they get an early away goal, you think they have zero chance of winning the tie? Because that's just not true. Of course
Weird to mentioned that as a possible scenario. :D

Turnip

likes to be spanked with games consoles
Where was the "couldn't give half of two shits" option?

promisedlanchiao

Except that time when we were going for the title in 1995, we needed them to win/draw against Blackburn, which they did.
This. Were you supporting ‘little blackburn’ that day? Context matters.

In this case though, it’s turned not to not be such a good result though, as the dippers have scored too many goals unfortunately. Hopefully we see a José masterclass at the weekend and we win, and it’s obviously possible as Wigan and livershite have shown us. And hopefully pep still believes that it’s possible to go through and rests’ a couple key players.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Except they do. It's clear that Liverpool can win the champions league this year. If they go to Barcelona in the semis and Messi gets sent off/they get an early away goal, you think they have zero chance of winning the tie? Because that's just not true. Of course they have a chance even though there are better teams in the compeition.
Why the feck would Messi get sent off? Where does this idea of him being any likely to get a red card come from?

juggernaut1986

I am not as confident as most people that Liverpool will be knocked out in the next round. Of course they are underdogs but it is wrong to suggest that they have no chance against Barca/Bayern/Madrid. They have shown that they are capable of beating anyone on their day. If you are in the semi final, you have a chance to win the competition and lesser teams teams have done that in the past.

Robbo's Shoulder

Supports
United and Barrow AFC
1 of the strangest games i've ever watched, especially the 1st half. On the 1 hand laughing me tits off at City getting pummelled but on the other being pissed off by it being Liverpool doing the pummelling. I will not be watching the 2nd leg, i'll see if there's an old Midsomer on ITV3 instead.

amolbhatia50k

Why the feck would Messi get sent off? Where does this idea of him being any likely to get a red card come from?
Weird to mentioned that as a possible scenario. :D
Who cares? The point is that Liverpool are potential CL winners even if their chances aren't as high as Real Madrid's. Anyone who makes the semis is. Now stop being okay with then making the semis/finals you (not you you) losers.

El Zoido

Hating this already tbh. Watching these fixtures with us not here is really annoying and I’m not enjoying it.

Sarni

Who cares? The point is that Liverpool are potential CL winners even if their chances aren't as high as Real Madrid's. Anyone who makes the semis is. Now stop being okay with then making the semis/finals you (not you you) losers.
One of them had to make it. I prefered Liverpool to make it before yesterday because I think they are much less likely to win the trophy but after last night's game I realized City wouldn't have won it anyway either.

amolbhatia50k

One of them had to make it. I prefered Liverpool to make it before yesterday because I think they are much less likely to win the trophy but after last night's game I realized City wouldn't have won it anyway either.
There's no certainty about any of this. City had a chance and Liverpool now have a chance. Given Liverpool winning the thing is far far worse than City doing so I want them nowhere near the trophy.

Sarni

There's no certainty about any of this. City had a chance and Liverpool now have a chance. Given Liverpool winning the thing is far far worse than City doing so I want them nowhere near the trophy.
City winning would be equally bad IMO. If they won CL on top of getting record points total in Premier League this would be one of the best seasons any team in Europe ever had, plus would give them a lot more credibility on European stage. Them going out in QFs, at their first serious hurdle, shows that they are not quite ready to seriously threaten the big boys yet and takes away a lot from this season.

Liverpool won't win it BTW. They are not getting past three superior teams.

pjaya

Please don’t jinx it :nervous:
Remember them vs Milan? Ffs

On their day, they could beat everyone:nervous:

Theonas

Scout
City winning would be equally bad IMO. If they won CL on top of getting record points total in Premier League this would be one of the best seasons any team in Europe ever had, plus would give them a lot more credibility on European stage. Them going out in QFs, at their first serious hurdle, shows that they are not quite ready to seriously threaten the big boys yet and takes away a lot from this season.

I am really surprised how this point seems to be lost or ignored by so many. I know some like to convince themselves that City's achievements do not matter because of the circumstances around it but even then, as you say a CL win on top of the best league campaign ever in terms of points would cement them as one of the best teams in modern history. Sure a 6th CL win for Liverpool is not any less worse but that scenario from City would be an absolute nightmare. The narrative around them will change from a great side to a uniquely great one.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool

I'm surprised people speak so highly of Bayern, they scraped past Seville with two very jammy goals. They can be unstoppable on their day but have had far better teams in the last few years imo. I think we could score a few past Barcelona as well but their front line would be too much for us. And Real would be too good and experienced overall. Still need to finish the job next week first and foremost, but from then on anything can happen even if it's unlikely.

Agree with the overall sentiment btw, City winning their first Champions League on top of a record breaking PL campaign would be too much to handle.

Sarni

I am really surprised how this point seems to be lost or ignored by so many. I know some like to convince themselves that City's achievements do not matter because of the circumstances around it but even then, as you say a CL win on top of the best league campaign ever in terms of points would cement them as one of the best teams in modern history. Sure a 6th CL win for Liverpool is not any less worse but that scenario from City would be an absolute nightmare. The narrative around them will change from a great side to a uniquely great one.
Exactly, a few years down the line nobody will care where they got the money from, they would be remembered as possibly the greatest English team ever who steamrolled the league and the proceeded to beat top European teams to claim the CL victory. If they go out here, they will basically be a glorified PSG - winning an average league at a canter by suffocating teams but struggling to make any impact in Europe.

Liverpool winning it for the sixth time would suck but last time they won it it did not help them at all in the long run, they remained the same not quite good enough side they had been prior to that victory. Also, I really honestly don't think they have a decent chance to win it.

Sarni

I'm surprised people speak so highly of Bayern, they scraped past Seville with two very jammy goals. They can be unstoppable on their day but have had far better teams in the last few years imo. I think we could score a few past Barcelona as well but their front line would be too much for us. And Real would be too good and experienced overall. Still need to finish the job next week first and foremost, but from then on anything can happen even if it's unlikely.

Agree with the overall sentiment btw, City winning their first Champions League on top of a record breaking PL campaign would be too much to handle.
Bayern are a team you could beat but they are very experienced and they have been great against English teams (mostly been Arsenal but still) in the past. I'd have them as favourites against Liverpool but not by much. Real and Barcelona would be huge favourites and in all likelihood you would need to beat them both to win the trophy (you have 33% chance to get Bayern in the semis and if you don't, they probably don't make the final anyway). It could obviously happen (even Sevilla could still win it, hypothetically) but is very unlikely.

Last edited:

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I'm not sure how I feel about them resting players at the weekend. It'll make things twice as embarrassing if they thrash us, while it won't be half as satisfying if we beat their second team.
I agreed with you when this was first posted. Turns out that City resting players didn’t even slightly spoil the enjoyment I got from beating them. How did it work out for you?

kps88

I agreed with you when this was first posted. Turns out that City resting players didn’t even slightly spoil the enjoyment I got from beating them. How did it work out for you?
Same here. To be fair, it was still a pretty strong team they put out. If it was a proper second string side with a few kids it might have made a difference. But even then, coming from 2 down to win against anybody is always fun.

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
I didn't read the whole thread but I bet many of you prefer the result that maximizes the passing team getting eliminated in semifinals. I guess many of you think it's better Liverpool go through, but I'm not sure that would be the best option according to the previous criteria. While City is probably a better team than Liverpool, Liverpool has both the Anfield asset and the heritage card that City lack and that adds a lot in knockout stages. In an hypothetical final I don't see City surprising the rival more than Liverpool would either. History plays a huge role here, and outcomes like the one we saw in 2005 were largely inspired by tradition.