What shirt number will Varane get?

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Have you considered the fact that Varane may not want to take the number 4 from another player? If I was new in a club, and modest as Varane supposedly is, the last thing I'd do is kick doors in and cause upset.

Move on and accept that numbers maybe isn't that important to players as it is to you.
Oh players absolutely prefer numbers. Well, great players, their identity is connected to them. Its not so long ago we managed to make Martial unhapp when we gave Zlatan his number 9. In a lot of instances the number dictates your role in the club hierarchy.

Ronaldo wouldn't be caught dead wearing number 28. Now, I'm sure Phil Jones doesn't care that much about number 4, but for someone who plays day in and day out, some will care a lot more than others

Flying_Heckfish

Van der Sar - #19 in his first season
Cole - #17 for his first season and a half
Keane - #16 for his entire career at United
Scholes - #24, #22, #18, #22 during his career at United
Vidic - #15 for his entire career at United
Yorke - #19 for his entire career at United
Van Persie - #20 for his entire career at United

Did it matter to any of them?

If getting a better squad number does indeed matter to him, I'm sure he'll get one in a season or two.
Van Persie #20 was majestic branding

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
Has Varane definitely passed both medicals ? This is starting to have the feeling of one of those cancelled at very last moment deals.
That’s actually worrying if it’s dragged on this long
He’s signed his contract. He is a Manchester United player, so I doubt we will let image rights scupper this deal, and he has no club to return to. He is nothing to do with Madrid anymore.

georgipep

Van der Sar - #19 in his first season
Cole - #17 for his first season and a half
Keane - #16 for his entire career at United
Scholes - #24, #22, #18, #22 during his career at United
Vidic - #15 for his entire career at United
Yorke - #19 for his entire career at United
Van Persie - #20 for his entire career at United

Did it matter to any of them?

If getting a better squad number does indeed matter to him, I'm sure he'll get one in a season or two.
First of all, that's just wrong. Several of the players you mention have worn single-digit numbers in their stay at United.

And second, if a player only ever wore one number for their entire career, do you not think they cared about that number? Even if it was beyond the first 11?

Blood Mage

He'll keep his shirt number at Madrid seeing as we botched this transfer. Hehe

The Cluck

First of all, that's just wrong. Several of the players you mention have worn single-digit numbers in their stay at United.

And second, if a player only ever wore one number for their entire career, do you not think they cared about that number? Even if it was beyond the first 11?
What was just wrong? That those players wore those numbers at the points in their careers at United that I specifically mentioned in my post?

Yes, van der Sar got #1 and Cole got #9, but after the periods of time that I mentioned in my post. They didn’t get them immediately. Nothing incorrect about that.

I don’t dispute that some players wear particular numbers for their entire careers, but personally, I wouldn’t care. I’d be more concerned if a player was so uptight that he joined the club and demanded to take someone’s number from them, like Zlatan did. Brazilian Ronaldo is remembered for wearing #9, but had to take #10 at his first season at Inter. He also had to take #99 at Milan. Messi has taken #30 at PSG despite being offered #10 by Neymar. Cristiano had to take #9 in his first season at Madrid. Beckham had to take #23 at Madrid. Long story short, it’s just a number, and I’m sure it won’t matter to Varane what number he’s wearing.

georgipep

What was just wrong? That those players wore those numbers at the points in their careers at United that I specifically mentioned in my post?

Yes, van der Sar got #1 and Cole got #9, but after the periods of time that I mentioned in my post. They didn’t get them immediately. Nothing incorrect about that.

I don’t dispute that some players wear particular numbers for their entire careers, but personally, I wouldn’t care. I’d be more concerned if a player was so uptight that he joined the club and demanded to take someone’s number from them, like Zlatan did. Brazilian Ronaldo is remembered for wearing #9, but had to take #10 at his first season at Inter. He also had to take #99 at Milan. Messi has taken #30 at PSG despite being offered #10 by Neymar. Cristiano had to take #9 in his first season at Madrid. Beckham had to take #23 at Madrid. Long story short, it’s just a number, and I’m sure it won’t matter to Varane what number he’s wearing.
https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/roy-keane/rueckennummern/spieler/3396

https://www.transfermarkt.com/nemanja-vidic-lrm-/rueckennummern/spieler/19726

And the question here was never would YOU care, was it?

Tom Van Persie

No relation
And that’s part of the problem, the club should have never allowed average player to be here for 10 years, to start with.
I agree we should've moved him on years ago but that isn't Jones' fault and he shouldn't be punished for it. He's just had rotten luck with injuries and Ole can sympathise with him because his own career was ruined due to injuries. His contract is up next year I'm sure we'll be letting him go on a free as he as zero value but until then Ole is going to give him every chance to rehab and get fit.

Gopher Brown

Oh players absolutely prefer numbers. Well, great players, their identity is connected to them. Its not so long ago we managed to make Martial unhapp when we gave Zlatan his number 9. In a lot of instances the number dictates your role in the club hierarchy.

Ronaldo wouldn't be caught dead wearing number 28. Now, I'm sure Phil Jones doesn't care that much about number 4, but for someone who plays day in and day out, some will care a lot more than others
Ronaldo was number 28 at Sporting before he joined us

Al-T

Didn't Fergie take #9 off Brian McClair and give it to Andy Cole? He must have been at the club close to 10 years at that point.
He did, Cole previously wore 17, Was handed the 9 at the start of 96/97 season.

When we signed Owen Hargreaves he was given Heinze's No 4 shirt if I recall right and Heinze was given 14. Heinze hadn't been here as long as McClair but he had skippered the side in the last two games of the 2006/07 season so was probably a bit peeved.

Bondi77

And that’s part of the problem, the club should have never allowed average player to be here for 10 years, to start with.
McClair average?????
Educate yourself and read what Fergie has said about him!

digitalmpu

Didn't Fergie take #9 off Brian McClair and give it to Andy Cole? He must have been at the club close to 10 years at that point.
If we go back a bit further, Robbo had been switched to 12 from 7 when Cantona came in.

POF

If we go back a bit further, Robbo had been switched to 12 from 7 when Cantona came in.
There were no squad numbers back then. They only came in at the start of the Premier League and Cantona was the first #7.

Robbo wasn't really in the team at that point. McClair played most games next to Ince.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Don't care about numbers much but Jones just shouldn't have a first 11 number. He barely makes the squad.

I actually would have liked 21 (I think it's not taken?) for 2+1 and also for 21 ;).

As long as he performs, 19 it is.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
If this is true, this is ridiculous. Phil Jones should have zero say in this, considering he hasn't contributed anything worthwhile in like 5 years. Why is he even on the squad, let alone squatting #4 shirt. Spineless from the manager, if they let this happen

"Raphael Varane will wear the No.19 shirt for Manchester United despite wanting to wear No.4, with Phil Jones reportedly refusing to give up his squad number for their £34million recruit "
https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/man-utd-varane-number-jones-24761184

The Cluck

Any time Keane didn’t wear 16 in those seasons was because the club was playing in competitions that didn’t have squad numbers, and the starting XI had to be 1-11. He couldn’t wear 16 and start the game. Vidic wore 4 in the 07/08 season against City when the starting XI wore 1-11 due to special dispensation from the Premier League for the 50th anniversary of the Munich Air Disaster, so again couldn’t wear 15 and start the match. So for neither player you mentioned were those numbers their squad numbers, they just had to wear them for certain matches.

dwd

Saturday Night Spies

Winrar

Not sure if he's just keeping the number until a lower one becomes available or if it holds meaning to him, but it's also the number he had when he debuted at Real Madrid.
That's why that number looked oddly familiar on him

dinostar77

Any truth to the story that phil jones refused to give up no4 shirt number? Surely Utd could just take it away from a player with zero future at Utd?

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
Any truth to the story that phil jones refused to give up no4 shirt number? Surely Utd could just take it away from a player with zero future at Utd?
Yep. It’s true. Phil stole all the number 4s from the megastore too, to ensure that Varane couldn’t have the number

decorativeed

As far as I remember, McClair gave the number away, as he was coming to the end of his career. He had a good sense of humour and wanted to wear the number 13, possibly our first outfield player to ever wear it.

Same goes for Robson. He knew he only had a season left at United, so was happy for Eric to have his traditional number 7 jersey.

Worth remembering that the first season in the Premier League still had the old 1-11 numbering. Squad numbers were only introduced in the second season, 1993/94. So the only squad number Robson was ever given was 12, and he wore it for a year. And Brian McClair only had the number 9 squad number for three years.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
It's the Daily Star.
Fair enough. Which is also why I said "if it is true", but it is weird player of Varane's status woudln't get #4, right?