What should be classed as an Olympic Sport?

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
https://www.bbc.com/sport/squash/47328750

Britain's former world number one Nick Matthew has suggested there could be a legal challenge against squash's omission from the Olympics.

On Thursday, Paris organisers announced breakdancing was one of four sports to be proposed to the International Olympic Committee (IOC) for 2024.

Squash unsuccessfully campaigned for inclusion, having been rejected for London 2012, Rio 2016 and Tokyo 2020.

Matthew, 38, asked: "Can the sport take the IOC to court over past bids?"

Speaking to the Telegraph, the three-time world and Commonwealth champion added: "All the criteria which have been laid out have been ticked.

"We should have been part of the Olympic movement years ago, certainly from London 2012. It's very frustrating and I don't see anything that will change if we carry on doing the same things.

"Sports are being pulled from left field now."
I'm really surprised that Squash wasn't in it considering things like Badminton are still a part of it. Breakdancing being proposed as an entry would seem strange but they are capable of supreme athleticism similar to gymnasts, but the focus is obviously on the dance element rather than the athleticism.

It's difficult because I wouldn't say there was a need for football to be in the Olympics as it already has a massive following and worldwide competition that neither need each other to progress, but is there an argument that because it is so big it should be included...?

paulscholes18

A sport that winning an Olympic medal would be the pinnacle of the career. So to me the likes of Golf, Tennis & Football shouldn’t be in it.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Skateboarding is going to be at the 2020 games. Sounds weird in isolation, but Snowboarding faced a similar backlash when it entered the winter games, and now it would be weird for it to not be there.

Not sure I'm for it, I think skating has a culture attached to it that won't be at all represented at the Olympics, and one without the other seems a little pointless. That said, I'd still rather watch Olympic Skateboarding than watch Archery or that Gymnastics thing where they twirl a ribbon around.

Baseball is back on the list for 2020 too, though is that purely down to it's popularity in Japan?

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
A sport that winning an Olympic medal would be the pinnacle of the career. So to me the likes of Golf, Tennis & Football shouldn’t be in it.
Yep always thought of it that way. I don't even watch the Olympics any more. There is no way to tell if any performance on the track is above board.

diarm

Like @Pogue Mahone said, I'd never thought about it like this but I agree with you. Some sports just don't feel right in the Olympics and its invariably the ones which have higher pinnacles outside the games.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I thought this also, but who is to judge what the pinnacle of a career is? How do we judge that? In terms of Football, Tennis and Golf it is fairly obvious considering the worth it has and fanbase outside of the Olympics, but for new 'sports' such as breakdancing, is that a pinnacle?

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I thought this also, but who is to judge what the pinnacle of a career is? How do we judge that? In terms of Football, Tennis and Golf it is fairly obvious considering the worth it has and fanbase outside of the Olympics, but for new 'sports' such as breakdancing, is that a pinnacle?
It also changes over time. For years an Olympic medal would have been seen as the pinnacle for field hockey but the World Cup is becoming a bigger and bigger deal in that sport. So a tough call as to which is the more prestigious.

Basically, it all comes down to this amateur vs professional thing. Olympics was always supposed to be a celebration of amateur sports. When you see multimillionaire professional sports men and women competing for Olympic medals it just feels wrong.

kidbob

If Basketball, Baseball and Ice Hockey is in there then Gaelic Football and Hurling should be in so Ireland can have 2 easy gold medals.

Edit: plus they fit into the amateur sport thing.

Kag

Good point. Could add boxing to the list also.
It’s the pinnacle of amateur boxing, to be fair.

You’ve got Cubans that struggle to even turn professional, so it’s a worthy inclusion. It also offers great insight into the future stars of the sport.

Oo0AahCantona

Agreed. for anything to have consideration for the Olympics it should be the highest award for that sport in an international context. Therefore something like basketball is fine in it, even though the NBA blows it out of the water, But football still values its world cup over an Olympic medal.

Anything where there may be a competition individually that's superior, is still viable if the international competition format pales in comparison to the Olympics. so something like tennis doubles would be fine.

GeorgieBoy

It’s the pinnacle of amateur boxing, to be fair.

You’ve got Cubans that struggle to even turn professional, so it’s a worthy inclusion. It also offers great insight into the future stars of the sport.
Yeah fair point I guess boxing is unique with respect to the amateur and professional aspect.

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
Sepak takraw is a really cool sport. Would be great for the SE Asian people to snatch some easy golds. Also that weird kabbadi sport that Indians and Pakistanis like in some parts. They can get in on the golds too. I’d watch that while blazing. And that really old sport in Italy called Calcio Storico.

Revan

Assumptionman
e-sports should become Olympic sports. I predict at least one e-sport to become an Olympic sport by 2040.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
Powerlifting should be in.

E-sports should have their own thing.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Futsal would be cool now that you mention 5 a side.
That would be awesome.

Apparently, they're (whoever they are) looking to make break dancing an Olympic sport.

Carolina Red

Staff
A sport that winning an Olympic medal would be the pinnacle of the career.
Well said.

Blows my mind that they tossed around the possibility of removing wrestling (one of the original ancient Olympic sports) from the games, yet they’re now considering breakdancing...? Wtf

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
Ski orienteering. Fun event, watched it yesterday for the first time. And Winter Olympics don't have *that* many sports, so don't think inclusion of few would hurt.

There's also some other orienteering disciplines, summer ones, like on foot or on bike. Haven't seen those yet.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
I think it's great that skateboarding has become an Olympic sport and I think a lot of them will take it seriously, great honour to be the first Olympian skateboarder ever.

99% certainty that the medals would be split between the USA, France and Brazil though.

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
Squash (which I play most weeks so maybe I’m biased there), and Futsal are obvious ones for me.

I think that women’s football should stay at the Olympics, as that is a full strength tournament and important for their profile. However for the men, I think that football should be out and futsal should be in.