What should we do with Mata if Mourinho is appointed?

Will Singh

Love the guy and if he's not gonna get played first choice then I hope he moves to a team who will give him that respect!

Play him as a #10 with freedom and he is a genius!

RaptorSlo

All up to Mourinho.

Anyone suggesting to keep him as a squad player is fecking crazy though. He's on around £180k a year. 2nd/3rd highest player at the club.
Still better than those saying Rooney should be kept as a squad player.

Who Ate All Depay's

Mata was sold by Chelsea because his defensive work rate wasn't very good. He has improved this considerably since he has arrived, so he might still find a place in the team.
Might be wrong but to me Puncheon's goal yesterday suggests it hasn't improved at all. Not blaming him solely or saying it's a problem he should necessarily work on because imo he should be nowhere near the right wing as it's not his position.

Who Ate All Depay's

He is a dream player in terms of attitude and behaviour etc but under Mourinho I just can't see him having much of a future here. The only way I see him staying is if we fail to receive an acceptable bid for him. I can certainly see him being moved on and replaced with a player like Mane who offers everything Mourinho likes to see in a right winger playing in a front 3 which is pace, power, goal threat and defensive work rate.

Rednotdead

Might be wrong but to me Puncheon's goal yesterday suggests it hasn't improved at all. Not blaming him solely or saying it's a problem he should necessarily work on because imo he should be nowhere near the right wing as it's not his position.
He was too far away from Puncheon at the goal. He was stuck in no man's land, not covering anything or anyone. By the time he got to Puncheon it was too late to prevent him getting his shot away.

Oaencha

Chelsea had a strong team when Mourinho sold Mata; infact he was spoilt for choice. Utd are considerably weaker at the moment and don't have many creative or experienced players. I think Mourinho will want to keep him.

Ducklegs

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He might get played in his proper position shock horror rather than stinking the place out as a wide forward.

And that's from someone that really rates him as a player, but a wide option of any kind he most certainly isn't.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
I hope he stays. Otherwise Valencia might be a good option.

orangeboom999

Hiding under a rock until the next game...
He seems to split opinion. Probably because he seems such a nice guy. The harsh reality is that his pace finds him out too often and he gets knocked off the ball too easily. He's not in the Spain provisional squad for the euros. We need to aim higher than that and we should be filling positions with top talent. I think Mata would thrive in a Europa position Spanish side where they can afford to build the team around him. He has too many flaws in his game to successfully build a top team around in this day and age. Certainly in the Premier league.

ZDwyr

I like his personality, and like him at times as a footballer. However, I will trust Mourinho's judgement.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I hope he stays. Is least of our problems if played at #10. Plus don't think Mou has the options as he did at Chelsea to replace him.

finneh

I'd like to see Mourinho trust him in the No 10 role and build a pacey team around him in a more counter attacking system, where the entire team isn't walking around the final third playing the ball sideways for the majority of the game.

I think we'd see him at his best in this kind of system with Martial/Rashford and a new signing like Griezmann or Aubamayang.

If we sign Zlatan though (which we hopefully don't) he's a goner.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
He is a dream player in terms of attitude and behaviour etc but under Mourinho I just can't see him having much of a future here. The only way I see him staying is if we fail to receive an acceptable bid for him. I can certainly see him being moved on and replaced with a player like Mane who offers everything Mourinho likes to see in a right winger playing in a front 3 which is pace, power, goal threat and defensive work rate.
What a crime against football that would be replacing a fantastic technical player that is capable of absolute magic, with a bang average mid table player with very little ability.

Who Ate All Depay's

What a crime against football that would be replacing a fantastic technical player that is capable of absolute magic, with a bang average mid table player with very little ability.
It's interesting the differing views as I think Mane would balance out our attack and give us far more options going forward as well as tracking back to assist the full back. Mata for me limits our play on the right and is far easier to defend against as he doesn't have the power to take his man on meaning the ball always comes back inside. Only time will tell if he will be in the managers plans next season.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Squad player. No need to sell him.
This. I don't think we're in situation to sell players. He can be an useful player but I hope we don't see him in first XI next season. In fact with Mourinho coming in pretty sure of that.

From now on I suppose he will be behind Herrera in pecking order.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
It's interesting the differing views as I think Mane would balance out our attack and give us far more options going forward as well as tracking back to assist the full back. Mata for me limits our play on the right and is far easier to defend against as he doesn't have the power to take his man on meaning the ball always comes back inside. Only time will tell if he will be in the managers plans next season.
i dont see mata as a RM at all so i do agree that when he plays there he takes away alot of pace and decisiveness down that flank. However, theres no doubting that Mata is a hugely superior player to mane and can change the game with moments of magic. I think RM is fundamental for us this summer and needs to be our biggest signing thats why Mane wont cut it for me. We need to be going all out for a ready made star like Mahrez or putting some money down on a future star like sane.

Oaencha

I'd like to see Mourinho trust him in the No 10 role and build a pacey team around him in a more counter attacking system, where the entire team isn't walking around the final third playing the ball sideways for the majority of the game.

I think we'd see him at his best in this kind of system with Martial/Rashford and a new signing like Griezmann or Aubamayang.

If we sign Zlatan though (which we hopefully don't) he's a goner.
I think this is already a done deal. Mou and Ibra have some serious love for eachother, and I bet Ed has both their posters on his bedroom wall and 'I <3 M & I' scribbled on the back of his diary.

ZAGREB RED

I think Mata will be moving on unless Mourinho has a role for him in a United team that he didn't in his Chelsea team.
EDIT ; having just watched the highlights of the final, I think the way Mata celebrated when he scored and at time up, if Jose can work with him, then hopefully he will be here next season.

Last edited by a moderator:

finneh

I think this is already a done deal. Mou and Ibra have some serious love for eachother, and I bet Ed has both their posters on his bedroom wall and 'I <3 M & I' scribbled on the back of his diary.
Could well be the case and in that instance accommodating the glacial pace of Zlatan, Mata and Rooney in one team would be impossible.

My view would still be get rid of Rooney, but can't see it happening.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I absolutely guarantee you that Mata will be here this time next season... and you can quote me on that.

Oaencha

Could well be the case and in that instance accommodating the glacial pace of Zlatan, Mata and Rooney in one team would be impossible. My view would still be get rid of Rooney, but can't see it happening.
My ideal scenario is Rooney out too. Performances aside it makes my blood boil when I think about the 300k a week he's been stealing for 3 years. However, I saw some fire in Rooney's belly yesterday; first time in a long time. I have a sneaky feeling he may find some form for Mou.

I agree that Ibra, Roo, and Mata in the same line up would be lacking pace. They could rotate though. Might not be so bad if we played a front three of Martial, Ibra, and Griezmann. With Rooney and Mata as centre/attacking midfielders; Rooney tracking back (which he does do alot). With Schneiderlin playing a holding role. Still a bit slow but they would create a shipload of chances.

finneh

My ideal scenario is Rooney out too. Performances aside it makes my blood boil when I think about the 300k a week he's been stealing for 3 years. However, I saw some fire in Rooney's belly yesterday; first time in a long time. I have a sneaky feeling he may find some form for Mou.

I agree that Ibra, Roo, and Mata in the same line up would be lacking pace. They could rotate though. Might not be so bad if we played a front three of Martial, Ibra, and Griezmann. With Rooney and Mata as centre/attacking midfielders; Rooney tracking back (which he does do alot). With Schneiderlin playing a holding role. Still a bit slow but they would create a shipload of chances.
True enough. I can actually see Rooney playing the Fabregas role at United next season; ie alongside a holding midfielder against the poor teams and at home but further forward in the tricker games. If that's the case Mata may play the Oscar role of the number 10 position in the easier games and a bench role in the more difficult ones.

In that scenario I think Mata will quickly cement his position as the better number 10 and it'll be Rooney getting dropped for a more defensive midfielder in the harder games.

It still requires a very pacey right winger though.

kundalini

Sell him.

Our scoring rate while Mata has been at the club has been terrible. It even improves when he isn't on the pitch.

Assuming some new arrivals, there will have to be departures too, in order to keep the wage bill relatively stable.

If Rooney is playing in midfield then Mata as no 10 would be inviting trouble. The lack of pace in the team has been a big issue for some time; made worse by the tedious tempo under LVG.

Last edited:

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
He should be sold.Valencia or Atlético could be good options for him although perhaps wants to stay in England

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Eh the player who made and scored many goals in last 2 seasons for us is not good enough. Good god people.

I would understand if people say he probably does not fit how we or certain managers want us to play.
Like him but he is one of the reasons our game has become so pedestrian

RedStarUnited

I find it quite hilarious that people are saying we should sell him to A.Madrid because he isnt defensive enough or strong enough etc.

The same A.Madrid who base their game on defensive solidarity will suit Mata better?

buckooo1978

I find it quite hilarious that people are saying we should sell him to A.Madrid because he isnt defensive enough or strong enough etc.

The same A.Madrid who base their game on defensive solidarity will suit Mata better?
Totally agree

I don't think Mata is a Diego kind of player at all

The United

Like him but he is one of the reasons our game has become so pedestrian
Oh, I don't disagree. I have similar issue with him.

But, it could be the system that makes it worse. I don't remember Chelsea team with him play dull like we do.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Let's face it. He had an even bigger stock at Chelsea and still Mourinho got rid of him. If Jose wants him gone, he'll go. I'd be disappointed but it won't be the first time a manager got rid of a player I like.

RVP, Kagawa, Welbeck, Rafael, Evra....the post Fergie era has been kind of a mess, in this regard.

Distracted Steward

I don't know, the screening was so poor that it had a knock on effect on positioning for everyone else. Weird match.

justboy68

I'm not really an expert on our wage bill but I presume it's safe to say he is on a fair whack given he is a 38 million pound signing? If so it would be an inefficient use of resources to have a squad player be one of our top earners. We'd be better off selling him for a reasonable fee and freeing up the wages to spend on a first team player.