What targets will Ed set for Mourinho?

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
He's the most driven football manager in the world. A trophy collector of the highest order.. he doesn't need targets to be set.

As long as he gets top 4 he'll be allowed to stay.

LouisDanGaal

Top 4 first year, top 2 second and title third but if he gets title in first year top 4 wouldn't be acceptable next season, as was seen with Rodgers as he got second, it raises expectations and having an inferior season leads to sacking, look at Laudrup and Monk as well as many others. I don't think we will be targeting winning the champions league as something that would cost Mourinho his job because we are too far from having enough quality currently. I also think the club will find it important to bring in a couple of big names and to get the best out of any number of our underperforming players. He also has a personal target from me of making Shaw the best fullback in the world, 6 months to do it jose.

dogwithabone

I think his short term remit will be to just get the fans back on side with a cluster of positive signings and then to provide some exciting early season football. Meet these targets and the rest will look after itself and I think the heirachy will be content if we have mounted at least a challenge for the title while getting back to what Manchester United are all about. Second season I think serious asaults on all fronts will be expected given that Jose will have had three transfer windows to work in by that time.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
It will be pretty much similar to the 3 year plan LVG had.

1. Get back to entertaining football, good signings, UCL qualification minimum
2. Title challenge
3. UCL challenge

The target will be to win the UCL in 3 years as it was under LVG (before he attempted to pull the wool over everyone's eyes and lower expectations)

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
You guys must be kidding?!
Target will be winning the PL, especially with no CL this season.

Infra-red

Top 4 and decent cup runs while playing football that doesn't make us all want to gouge our own eyes out.

Judging by his career thus far, he'll probably meet those expectations next season, exceed them the season after, before descending into a complete meltdown leading to his dismissal the season after that.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
This, we ended the season with as many points as City, so if City are fighting for the title, we are fighting for the title.

andy0

Amongst all the other targets, no empty seats at the last home match of the season

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I'm very sure they expect him to compete for the title right away. If not they would have stuck with LVG for his final year.
Pretty sure City aren't giving Pep just the top 4 as a target. Why should we be any different?

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
Depends entirely on the contract length I guess (any rumours how long it might be yet?)

Obviously he's going to have a plan each and every year so we'll have to wait and see on that.

Personally, I think it will be similar to Van Gaal, probably a 3 year deal and just try and get them back up to title contention and rebuild some of the confidence and air of invincibility that's been lost since SAF left for another manager to come and continue on with.

Mourinho doesn't strike me as the type to commit for a club for longer than that to be honest.

Last edited:

Shark

@NotShark
Don't forget, the football also has to be bloody good. People were on LvG's back early in his first season for this.
LVG didn't get the results either though. SAF's football wasn't always pretty but he was still a winner and United fans certainly don't mind winning ugly if necessary.

FireballXL5

Unlike Moyes and LVG, Jose actually knows what needs to be done. He's probably telling Ed what's going to happen, not vice versa.

Seveneric

First season: Top 4

Second season: Title challenge, a good cup run, qualify out of the CL group stages

Will Singh

Realistically top 4 and good run in the cups in the first season.

What I'm hoping is Ed will break the bank and with Mendes even closer to the club we could see some big names and we go for it right away!

Ban

Top 3 first year. FA cup possibly but not a must.
PL title 2nd year.
CL 3rd year. Or CL semifinal at least. Depending on the arrivals. :)

Call me crazy but I think we'll challenge for the title as early as next year.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Major problem now is what if he fails these targets. What do we do: sack another manager?

I suspect that once we win another title, we will go on abut of a run. Mourinho is the ideal guy, purely motivated by winning. When he doesn't win, he'll hurt and try again until he succeeds.

Like the board did with SAF, we have to stick with him come what may. Its time we did this for the long haul and just back our manager, no matter what.

Last edited:

Minimalist

Not sure Ed will need to set targets judging from Mourinho's previous work - he sets the targets himself.

It won't be a sackable offence if it doesn't happen obviously but I personally think his goal will be to win the title in his first season. I think it's always been Mourinho's goal at any club and provided he can get 3-5 first XI players in to plug the gaps, he'll be expecting a solid challenge.

I also think the Europa League is a nice target too for the first season.

Beyond that, I think Mourinho himself is always after that third CL win and I expect him to chase that hard in years 2 and 3.

JTW95

Gullible sausage
CL football first season.

Top 4 will be the absolute minimum tolerated.
Yeah top 4 will be the only target this year. Getting back in CL is the priority.

Obviously there is no reason why we can't do better.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Well if he fails top 4 then absolutely we sack him like we did with LvG. Because if Mourinho is all about winning, well then even more so, especially as he most probably won't have other things going for him like playing youth or attractive football.
Also while we shouldn't get rid if he doesn't win the title, the target should still be to seriously compete for it, after all same will be expected from Guardiola and Conte.

Turnip

likes to be spanked with games consoles
If Ed gets off his arse and gets the transfers Jose wants, we should be challenging for the title next season and be seriously challenging for it the season after.
Major problem now is what if he fails these targets. What do we do? Sack another manager?

Its time we did in for the long haul and just back our manager. I suspect that once we win another title, we will go on abut of a run. Mourinho is th ideal guy, purely motivated by winning. When he doesn't win, he'll hurt and try again. like the board did with SAF, we have to stick with him come what may.
This could be a problem, we're signing a manager reportedly for 5 years who never manages to continue success for more than 2/3 seasons. We could be relegated and playing Burton Albion in 3 seasons' time.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Top 3 or 4 finish in the league. As long as he has achieved that I think he will stay for as long as his contract expired.

rotherham_red

A proper League challenge
Win the Europa
Get to at least the quarters in both the League Cup & the FA Cup

Loon

:lol:
Should be the same as his predecessors. Top four or you're out. With a decent football clause.

RuudTom83

I believe Ed Woodward has said in the past that the club budget for a Top 3 finish. So all the current manager has to do is finish in the Top 3!

Which shouldn't be too difficult considering the manager will be given epic amounts of cash to spend!

togg

Major problem now is what if he fails these targets. What do we do? Sack another manager?

Its time we did in for the long haul and just back our manager. I suspect that once we win another title, we will go on abut of a run. Mourinho is th ideal guy, purely motivated by winning. When he doesn't win, he'll hurt and try again. like the board did with SAF, we have to stick with him come what may.
My feelings entirely. We had Moyes, unproven but supposedly potentially from the same sort of mould as Fergie (just needed the big club to prove it), he failed. We had LVG, proven winner, great credentials, respected etc - failed. Now we have Jose, possibly the most successful trophy hunter in the game ever, a team player, motivator, high proven winner. Now if he fails I'm not sure where one would go....sack him and bring another in? I reckon Woody just wants top 4 next season purely from a business point of view...that will satisfy him. But regardless, I think we just need to hang on to a manager this time, no matter how long it takes.

Manny

Grammar Police
This, we ended the season with as many points as City, so if City are fighting for the title, we are fighting for the title.
Exactly. Thankfully, Mourinho's targets will be significantly higher than the fan's...

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Its a 3 year plan. Domestic treble next season, real treble the next season followed by a quadruple.
Septuple, we want the world cup, UEFA super cup and the Charity shield.;)

Havak

Pokemon master
I'm not certain what targets will be set for Mourinho by the board, but here's what I'd think is a fair assessment (assuming he completes a three-year stint):

• Finish in the Top Four in each of the next three seasons (preferably third or higher, of course).
  • Win at least one Premier League Title. Normally I'd think this is a bit much to ask right now considering how far off we've been since we last won it. However, are we really that far off City and Chelsea squad-wise? Especially with Mourinho and depending on signings this season (and how seriously the Europa League is taken). Spurs and Arsenal blew their chance and probably won't be much better next season, and Leicester was an anomaly. We have every chance to win it at least once in the next three years.
  • Get out of the Group Stage of the Champions League every time.
  • Win at least one other Trophy (FA Cup, League Cup, Champions League, Europa League) in the three year period.
  • Keep Borthwick-Jackson, Fosu-Mensah, and Rashford in the first-team squad (25-30 man squad) to give youth a chance.
  • Play a better brand of attacking football when possible. I would gladly "park the bus" away to the best teams in Europe if we were successful doing so.

ADJUDICATOR

Supports
THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD
I'm not certain what targets will be set for Mourinho by the board, but here's what I'd think is a fair assessment (assuming he completes a three-year stint):

• Finish in the Top Four in each of the next three seasons (preferably third or higher, of course).
  • Win at least one Premier League Title. Normally I'd think this is a bit much to ask right now considering how far off we've been since we last won it. However, are we really that far off City and Chelsea squad-wise? Especially with Mourinho and depending on signings this season (and how seriously the Europa League is taken). Spurs and Arsenal blew their chance and probably won't be much better next season, and Leicester was an anomaly. We have every chance to win it at least once in the next three years.
  • Get out of the Group Stage of the Champions League every time.
  • Win at least one other Trophy (FA Cup, League Cup, Champions League, Europa League) in the three year period.
  • Keep Borthwick-Jackson, Fosu-Mensah, and Rashford in the first-team squad (25-30 man squad) to give youth a chance.
  • Play a better brand of attacking football when possible. I would gladly "park the bus" away to the best teams in Europe if we were successful doing so.
Exactly my feeling.

Mr Smith

You don't set Mourinho targets. Mourinho sets you targets.
This.

Personally, I'd accept top 4 next season, as the competition is going to be among the most intense it's ever been. Ourselves, Liverpool, Chelsea and Man City will all be building new sides, and it's impossible to say how quickly each of them will gel. Also, Spurs will be back next season and they'll mean business.
Second season I want a title challenge (in fact I'll probably expect a title just based on Mourinho's record) but I want to take it one season at a time. I genuinely believe the league has never been more competitive, with more teams having a shot at the title than ever before and the entire quality gap between the top teams a the lower teams shrinking.