What targets will Ed set for Mourinho?

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
We have had the 5 year long term plan under Moyes, and the 3 year "get us back to the top" mandate for LVG.

Are Mourinho's targets that clear cut? He will undoubtedly be expected to bring us to Champions League football at a minimum this season, but where does Ed & the fans' patience go beyond that? What if he comes close, but fails to secure a title in 3 years?

Have the board hired him on a long term mandate despite the supposed 3 year term? If not, should we be upset if/when he ignores our youth and sticks to immediate results as he did for Perez, Abramovic and Moratti?

And what is it we feel Mourinho wants? He has spoken of a desire for stability within the club and in his personal life, but do we really think he'll stay here in the long term (assuming he performs) without taking bait from other clubs?

Mindhunter

Top 2 in the PL
Europa League Semis
At least 1 trophy

Minimum Expectations:
Top 3 in the PL (i.e. automatic qualification)

Nickosaur

It's entirely possible that we could improve dramatically and still not finish in the top 2. Competition will be intense.

Salfordlad70

Winning with style. To be challenging for the title next season and beyond, and winning the league within 3 years. And to keep our good name and to behave himself. I think all the above is possible.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Same as LVG's I guess. Secure CL football as a minimum, league title within three years.

I guess Mourinho would expect to win the title within a couple of years anyway.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Top 2 in the PL
Europa League Semis
At least 1 trophy

Minimum Expectations:
Top 3 in the PL (i.e. automatic qualification)
In his first season?

Same as LVG's I guess. Secure CL football as a minimum, league title within three years.

I guess Mourinho would expect to win the title within a couple of years anyway.
Wouldn't that be unfair given Mourinho has Klopp/Pep/Conte to work against now?

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Year one: Back in the Cl, good run in El and cups, run the top 2 close

Two: Title win, if not then a challenge, win a cup or progress far, quarters of Cl

Three: far in the Cl, either defend or win title.

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
I'd take top 4 first season, anything more is a bonus. We could 100% accomplish more than that though.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
In his first season?

Wouldn't that be unfair given Mourinho has Klopp/Pep/Conte to work against now?
He's Jose Mourinho though. He's supposed to be exactly that good. That's why (according to reports anyway) we're gonna pay him near double what we paid LVG. We're not going to lower our expectations at that point.

RedRevongge

Top 4 is essential, but I think in the first season Ed will expect to see some serious improvement in style of play (i.e. scoring more goals) and winning points.

I think Mourinho will be given a healthy transfer budget so I think its important we improve the team enough that in the subsequent years we don't need to spend £100m plus every year on transfers

GBBQ

What if he comes close, but fails to secure a title in 3 years? I'd imagine the board are aware of the money available to our rivals so a title win cannot be guaranteed even with a blank cheque book. Progression and being in the mix would surely be acceptable. I think they will want us to be in the CL each season from next year on and that we'd achieve it through a top 3 finish so it wont affect our pre-season plans.

do we really think he'll stay here in the long term (assuming he performs) without taking bait from other clubs? I think emulating SAF's dynasty is what drew him here and if he can avoid his tendency to implode he may well aim to stay long term. He likes England so I think as long as he is paid well and has the funds and the backing to achieve his goals his head wont be turned.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
CL football first season.

Top 4 will be the absolute minimum tolerated.
What if that's all he gets for 3 seasons without a title (but say we progress to quarters/semis in champions league)?

I have a sneaky feeling our board is more impatient today than when they were when hiring Moyes..

GBBQ

I think Mourinho will be given a healthy transfer budget so I think its important we improve the team enough that in the subsequent years we don't need to spend £100m plus every year on transfers
Its ridiculous that we go into a 3rd summer transfer needing to buy 4+ players. If we get this window right then moving forward we could be in a position to sign 1 or 2 key players per season as we used to with SAF. It keeps the turmoil to a minimum and means you're not still bedding in players mid September.

Mani

Priority would be to finish in top 3 and win the league in second year.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
What if that's all he gets for 3 seasons without a title (but say we progress to quarters/semis in champions league)?

I have a sneaky feeling our board is more impatient today than when they were when hiring Moyes..
Cups and what not will always be asked for, tbh I have no idea any more.

shabadu84

Mint? Berry?
Assuming he gets to spend a bit, top 3 and deeper into EL are minimums. A domestic cup run be a nice to have but perfectly understandable if they need to be balanced against bigger priorities when the time comes. Need to play well in more of our matches - doesn't have to be an attacking blitzkrieg but scoring more goals and controlling matches better are paramount. Fare well against our rivals.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Same as LVG.

Minimum expectation would be top 4 and a title challenge in the next 2 seasons. Won't be sacked unless he finishes outside the top 4 or has an epic meltdown

Cal?

CR7 fan
I'd assume that title in 2017/18 is what everyone expects and he'll deliver.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
He's Jose Mourinho though. He's supposed to be exactly that good. That's why (according to reports anyway) we're gonna pay him near double what we paid LVG. We're not going to lower our expectations at that point.
Yeah he's one of the highest paid managers along with Pep. Expectations will be high though obviously minimum for coming season will be CL due to the adidas clause.

Think he'd need some sort of silverware. Guess it depends how he does with the youth too. If none of them are getting a look in along with us not winning any silverware during the three years he'd probably be under pressure.

Manny

Grammar Police
We need to stop fecking around with targets and minimum expectations and just insist on the title. We've spent the last three seasons targeting the top 4 finish and look where it got us.

I'm expecting next season to be close with the top 6 taking a lot of points of each other. Going into those games with the mentality geared towards winning the league instead of finishing in the top 4 is going to be difference between a very real title challenge or another 5th place finish.

acrebo

It's entirely possible that we could improve dramatically and still not finish in the top 2. Competition will be intense.
This. I don't think there'll be set position targets or "trophy X by year Y".

The expectation will be that we will be consistently competitive at the top level, so most certainly CL football. Beyond that, I think Mourinho will be fine for as long as he wants to stay here.

Consistent improvement is all well and good as a target but actually winning one of two major trophies is going to be bloody tough for the next few years.

MDFC Manager

Don't forget, the football also has to be bloody good. People were on LvG's back early in his first season for this.

I think he expects more of himself than the club ever will, at least in footballing terms. Of course we will set expectations, but I think his own ego motivates him more than whatever Woodward tells him to achieve.

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
Top 3 premier league first year, premier league title 2nd year, premier league and champions league 3rd year.

Dir Wangem

Year one: Back in the Cl, good run in El and cups, run the top 2 close

Two: Title win, if not then a challenge, win a cup or progress far, quarters of Cl

Three: far in the Cl, either defend or win title.
I agree with this.

I would be open to keep him if he's close to winning the league twice in a row, though.

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

Be in the mix for the PL title and target the semis (or at least the quarters) of CL every season. This will better the brand name's value and will keep the cash flow pumping.

Red_Beans

top four in the league: this has been the clubs minimum requirement for our last two managers
better football: scoring goals and entertaining the fans
good run in the cups: don't think winning a cup will be an immediate priority but first round exits to the likes of MK Dons will count against Mourinho
youth development: honestly don't know if this will be brought up by our board but I feel that unless we specifically instruct Mourinho that development of academy players is a target, he wont be bothered

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
I would say Ed will have the same targets as what Mourinho would set himself (similar to what happened in his second stint at Chelsea).

Season 1: Top 4, preferably 3.
Season 2: Competing for the title, quarter-finals of CL.
Season 3: Hopefully favourites for title, amongst favourites for CL.

Lastwolf

We have had the 5 year long term plan under Moyes, and the 3 year "get us back to the top" mandate for LVG.

Are Mourinho's targets that clear cut? He will undoubtedly be expected to bring us to Champions League football at a minimum this season, but where does Ed & the fans' patience go beyond that? What if he comes close, but fails to secure a title in 3 years?

Have the board hired him on a long term mandate despite the supposed 3 year term? If not, should we be upset if/when he ignores our youth and sticks to immediate results as he did for Perez, Abramovic and Moratti?

And what is it we feel Mourinho wants? He has spoken of a desire for stability within the club and in his personal life, but do we really think he'll stay here in the long term (assuming he performs) without taking bait from other clubs?
the one year for the love of god CL qualification plea.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I just don't see a normal 3 year plan of 1) qualification, 2) charge and 3) win being that simple anymore. Pepp Conte and Wenger will have a fair bit of pressure too this season, so I genuinely think one of the 4 will be sacked within 3 years.