g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

What targets will Ed set for Mourinho?

Trigg

aka Trippin_Stoned
I think being in the Champions League every season is the main one. Lets be honest, its a lot of money when you miss out on it and the board want the money.

As for setting targets regarding winning, another League Title will be the main focus and the one thats realistic.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Major problem now is what if he fails these targets. What do we do: sack another manager?

I suspect that once we win another title, we will go on abut of a run. Mourinho is the ideal guy, purely motivated by winning. When he doesn't win, he'll hurt and try again until he succeeds.

Like the board did with SAF, we have to stick with him come what may. Its time we did this for the long haul and just back our manager, no matter what.
I don't see how that's a problem.

As long as he finished inside the top 4 he keeps his job (unless he does something stupid) even if a genuine title challenge doesn't materialize in his 2nd or even 3rd year. If he finishes outside the top 4 then he gets sacked and we look for someone else.

Trizy

I'm guessing it depends on how much he spends on the squad. If Mourinho gets all the players he wanted that he feels make a complete squad then I'm sure United will be expecting silverware.

Mourinho is magic, if he gets the right players then we'll challenge for the league regardless of the competition.

STE586

You don't set Mourinho targets. Mourinho sets you targets.
This. I've always had a sickening feeling with Moyes & van Gaal that they both thought United winning the league wasn't possibly and we should be happy if we made top 4 and had a decent cup run.

That's not how United feel and it's certainly not how Mourinho feels - he won't be thinking let's aim for top 4, he'll be thinking let's win the league!

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
I think being in the Champions League every season is the main one. Lets be honest, its a lot of money when you miss out on it and the board want the money
Off course they want top 4 but that has to be the minimum. I believe the club wants to win both the league and the CL and that is their ambition.

TehRed

A minimum of:

Top 4 finish
A final in at least one domestic cup
More than 1.5 goals scored per game
Set/be within a couple of goals of clean sheet record for the season
At least quarter finals of Europa League

Ideally:

Top 2 league finish
Win a domestic cup
Score as close to 2 goals a game on average as possible
Clean sheet record for Dave
Semis or better in Europa League

justboy68

There's going to be some serious competition next season with all the managerial talent flooding in and many millions upon million spent across the league. I think as it has been for the last few managers top 4 will be the minimum. However Jose will expect better of himself of course. But I think going forward top 4 will always be the minimum, are we really going to want to sack Mourinho if he gets 4th next season? Of course not.

Trigg

aka Trippin_Stoned
Off course they want top 4 but that has to be the minimum. I believe the club wants to win both the league and the CL and that is their ambition.
Of course they do. All big clubs do, but getting into the Champions League has to be the main focus. Given the times when we didn't in recent years both managers left that'll be the main focus of Jose I'm sure. Everything else will be a bonus.