What to do with Anthony Martial?

Revan

Assumptionman
If we give Martial a new, improved contract it’s nothing but a power move from Woodward to show Mourinho who makes decisions here. Even without his apparent issues with management Martial has not done enough to deserve it since coming here.
Nah. If Martial signs the new contract, essentially, I see three options this going on:

- Mourinho plays him and eventually he rediscovers his form. Win-win for everyone.
- Mourinho doesn't play him and then we sell Martial next summer for more money than in the scenario when he has just 1 year on his contract.
- Mourinho is sacked and then Martial plays under some other manager.

All three are better than having him going into his last year of his contract.

Acole9

Outstanding
Why are we giving him a five year contract?! He's so overrated and lazy.

Varun

Staff
Because he hasn't deserved it and we're rewarding mediocrity (performance wise) and players half assing it with 5 year contracts.
Do you think the problem is a lack of ability simply?

Varun

Staff
Nah. If Martial signs the new contract, essentially, I see three options this going on:

- Mourinho plays him and eventually he rediscovers his form. Win-win for everyone.
- Mourinho doesn't play him and then we sell Martial next summer for more money than in the scenario when he has just 1 year on his contract.

It really is as simple as this which is why its blowing my mind that a talented young player signing an extension is an issue for some fans.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

Spot on.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Play him. Put faith in him. Lukaku has been a joke since around April. Will still play every game. When others have a bad game Jose comes out with 'now you know why always Lukaku'. Same opposition a few months later Lukaku has a shocker. Guess what...no comment on him.

Show young players faith. Don't throw them under the bus. Treat everyone the same. If Martial outlasts Jose I'd tip him to have an excellent career at united.

Red_Ramirez

Atm my feelings towards this Martial situation is in the same vein in which he carries himself on the pitch these days:

MEH. Dont care

Yagami

Good post resistant
The true winner wanted the players but Woodward refused. What exactly can he prove with Smalling and Jones? What exactly can he probe with no true winger on the wings.
Well, he could play his two CB signings instead. Also, during his time here, he's bought two wide players. Alexis, who was great on the left for Arsenal. The other, who I never wanted in the first place, was Mkhi who did well for Dortmund on the right. So, yeah, José has bought a right winger - he just, rightfully, ditched him after a season and a half for another leftie instead of for another rightie.

I believe Woodward has only refused to buy two players. One being Perisic because Inter were asking for too much in addition to wanting Martial. The other being Alderweireld because he wants José to get more out of his previous two CB signings before splashing more cash. I would've had both, but I see where Ed was coming from.

Footyislife

For all of you complaining how Martial sulks and doesn't put in the effort, considering how Mou has treated him, are you surprised.

His best spell was when Mou had faith in him and started him consistently. But he randomly bought Sanchez and threw him to the curb. How do you stay motivated when you know your boss doesn't like you and no matter what you do you'll be rotated out next game?

Not everyone thinks let me just keep my head down and keep trying, hoping for the best. Which is why we need managers like Zidane who can coach a newer generation of players. If you watched him under LVG on the LW he was putting in the effort pressing defensively, making runs, creating stuff. It's a combination of the lack of faith, plus the system that is making all our forwards look terrible atm.

Smores

Yeah because the history of the 3 over the last 2 years doesn’t indicate to such a thing at all. You do like to gloss over history.
That he wanted to sell him? No it doesn't, at all. In fact the opposite is quite true

Any manager wants a plethora of good options to choose from and we're not at all stacked up front. Becoming a squad player is not the same as about to be sold. I know that's not dramatic enough for this place though

Fracture90

It really is as simple as this which is why its blowing my mind that a talented young player signing an extension is an issue for some fans.
Yup, we have fans drooling over 30y old on the decline players to come in whilst we have a potential star (we saw what he can do under LVG) who's let's face it been unfairly treated by the manager since the get-go, that some fans would rather see get sold than renew his contact in the era where Fellaini gets a renewal at UTD.

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
Martial isnt a Fellaini you struggle to get rid of because of his wages. Plenty of teams will be ready to have him as seen even this summer where we told the likes of Chelsea and Spurs to feck off.
The fee that would be required to get him signed along with his wages would make it very difficult for us to move him if he plays at the level he's been playing for last two years.

Agree with the last bit, I don't think he fancies playing for Mourinho anymore and that's the only thing that stands out here for me.
You don't see anything wrong with this? Why does he not fancy playing under Jose? Because he bought a new player in his position? Last I recalled club is paying his wages, he has to pull his weight and stake a claim for a berth in the XI. And he hasn't done that since we signed Sanchez. Why are fans not calling out his pathetic attitude?

If he's signing this, he believes Jose wont be here much longer. Tbf, that's hardly an outlandish opinion to have so I'm not shocked.
Which is an even bigger problem, he's not been arsed for a while now and now he knows the manager will be gone soon anyway. What sort of performances can you expect from him and how on earth do you expect Jose to trust a player like him?

Can't believe I'm having to spell the ridiculous nature of all this.

Kostur

海尔的老板
I wonder, if it's Mourinho's fault that Martial's form has gone to shit and he doesn't know how to utilise him, howcome the same Martial was getting those MOTM awards prior to Sanchez's arrival, under the same Mourinho?

roonster09

Scout
The fee that would be required to get him signed along with his wages would make it very difficult for us to move him if he plays at the level he's been playing for last two years.
If club wants to sell them then they will just reduce the asking price, simple as that.

Crashoutcassius

What about we get another manager and that manager doesn't play him either because of poor attitude

Red_Ramirez

Play him. Put faith in him. Lukaku has been a joke since around April. Will still play every game. When others have a bad game Jose comes out with 'now you know why always Lukaku'. Same opposition a few months later Lukaku has a shocker. Guess what...no comment on him.

Show young players faith. Don't throw them under the bus. Treat everyone the same. If Martial outlasts Jose I'd tip him to have an excellent career at united.
With that staement You're the joke :lol:

Lukaku didnt play for the best part of April and May due to injury.

Remember when Rashford and Martial were given a run towards the end of last season (including the Cup Final) and flopped badly? Or is that selective memory and anti-Lukaku bias of yours kicking in?

Kostov

I wonder, if it's Mourinho's fault that Martial's form has gone to shit and he doesn't know how to utilise him, howcome the same Martial was getting those MOTM awards prior to Sanchez's arrival, under the same Mourinho?
And who's fault is that Alexis has been as shocking as Martial in his favored LW positions? Or Rashford? How has he been the last year or two, tearing it up isn't he? It can't be the coach can it? It must be Martial also...

EDIT: to answer your question, he played and they were rotated with Rashford, fought it off, and come January, Martial made the position his own more or less. Then Alexis came and you know the rest.

Andersons Dietician

That he wanted to sell him? No it doesn't, at all. In fact the opposite is quite true

Any manager wants a plethora of good options to choose from and we're not at all stacked up front. Becoming a squad player is not the same as about to be sold. I know that's not dramatic enough for this place though
Or the many stories over the last two years where Woodward has supposedly said he isn’t for sale even tho Jose wanted him to, the actions of Jose towards the player over the year, the actions of Martial even, the stories of Jose going around Woodward and trying to see if he can fashion a deal to get him out, and now Woodward supposedly offering Martial a contract when the manager it would seem has made his stance quite clear on the player.

Doesn’t take much of a leap given what else has gone on in the summer with Jose shifting blame to Woodward, Woodward responding with the press briefing all signs point to everything not being alright at United at the top level.

Varun

Staff

You don't see anything wrong with this? Why does he not fancy playing under Jose? Because he bought a new player in his position? Last I recalled club is paying his wages, he has to pull his weight and stake a claim for a berth in the XI. And he hasn't done that since we signed Sanchez. Why are fans not calling out his pathetic attitude?

Which is an even bigger problem, he's not been arsed for a while now and now he knows the manager will be gone soon anyway. What sort of performances can you expect from him and how on earth do you expect Jose to trust a player like him?

Can't believe I'm having to spell the ridiculous nature of all this.
Probably because you're not open to seeing the other side of the argument here.

If I hate my boss at work, I'd look for a move. If I find out though that my boss is under fire for poor performance and may be asked to leave soon, I'll be happy to stay and see how it turns out. If he gets the boot, I get to continue working at a company I like. If not, tough shit, I can always leave few months later, the door doesnt close just because I stayed now.

Again though, as I said to Slevs, I'm not interested in discussing his attitude, winning mentality etc. Just tell me the scenario wherein him signing an extension ends up badly for us. If you think he's deadwood which will be shit but have no takers as he lacks ability, then fair dos. I don't which is why I either see it working out for him here or us ultimately selling him for an amount higher than what we would have with a year left on the contract. Win-Win.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
He's an amazing young talent and the best LW we've got. However, 5 years is a bit too much for a player whose clearly underrated by the manager........UNLESS

Kush

Something something about Mourinho not playing Martial in his 'preferred position'

Contrary to the narrative that people like to run here, Martial wasn't dropped from the XI straight after signing Sanchez. He was deployed on the right where he produced horrible performances before getting injured after Chelsea game (which he started. Since coming back from injury, he failed to provide a single goal or assist and looked completely disinterested.

And who's fault is that Alexis has been as shocking as Martial in his favored LW positions? Or Rashford? How has he been the last year or two, tearing it up isn't he? It can't be the coach can it? It must be Martial also?
Sanchez has been a disappointment since his arrival but he was hardly going to be dropped few games after his arrival considering his quality and the fact he was new to the XI. Mourinho was trying to give him confidence by playing him consistently, whether that was right to do with a new signing is up for debate.

EDIT: to answer your question, he played and they were rotated with Rashford, fought it off, and come January, Martial made the position his own more or less. Then Alexis came and you know the rest.
Once again Martial wasn't dropped from the XI, he started 3 and made 1 sub appearances in the next 4 matches after Sanchez signed before getting injured. He didn't want to fight for his place from that point and that's what I have a big problem with.

You can sugarcoat all you want but Martial we saw in 1st half of last season was a player who was desperate to prove his worth, he played well in most of the chances handed to him and earned himself a place in the XI. His attitude dropped when a new signing took his place in the XI. If he'd shown same commitment he'd shown from August to December then this wouldn't be a discussion.

WoodysWallet

I believe that Martial would have been sold in the Summer, if anyone would have paid what we wanted for him.

As it’s turned out, no one was willing to pay large amounts for him. So if he’s going to stay another season he might as well get a pay rise for doing so, hence the new deal.

It’s not loyalty from him, or from us. He gets a pay rise, and we stop him going for free next year. It’s a win win scenario.

norm87cro

Sell him to Barca alongside Pogba. Buy the players Jose wants and do a Fergie hairdryer routine with the rest in the team. Our players are falling out of line and we need to sort that out sooner rather than later

Kush

Probably because you're not open to seeing the other side of the argument here.

If I hate my boss at work, I'd look for a move. If I find out though that my boss is under fire for poor performance and may be asked to leave soon, I'll be happy to stay and see how it turns out. If he gets the boot, I get to continue working at a company I like. If not, tough shit, I can always leave few months later, the door doesnt close just because I stayed now.

Again though, as I said to Slevs, I'm not interested in discussing his attitude, winning mentality etc. Just tell me the scenario wherein him signing an extension ends up badly for us. If you think he's deadwood which will be shit but have no takers as he lacks ability, then fair dos. I don't which is why I either see it working out for him here or us ultimately selling him for an amount higher than what we would have with a year left on the contract. Win-Win.
I'm always up for honest open discussions and I understand what you're saying. Martial is fed up working under Mourinho but I ask you why is that? Because manager wants him to earn his place in the XI again, or he wants more work-rate from him? He's being paid handsome amount of money every week then why isn't he giving his maximum? No matter how much you hate your boss and even if he is likely to go soon, if you don't do your work for which you're being paid you'll be booted regardless. Yet there are plenty on here who sympathize with a player who is not arsed.

I don't have a problem with contract extension, we can either extract his talents in the next 5 years or we can extract a decent fee out of him. I'm concerned about the timing of all this, especially when we as a club are as unstable as we've been for a while.

Yagami

Good post resistant
I believe, bar José's initial first 3 PL games in charge, his best run under José was the only time he started 3 consecutive PL games in one of his favoured positions. Moving him to the right where we all know he just isn't as good, and then dropping him despite outperforming Alexis on the left just killed all that momentum. A game here and there after that isn't going to help him build that form back up, imo.

I think he could excel under Mourinho - he just hasn't been given a proper run in the team in a position he's suited in to do so. I wanted Alexis but if we had got rid of Mkhi and brought in another RW thus keeping Martial on the left, we'd have been much better for it. As for now, I think José should just give him a run because it's not like our other attackers are up to much and the likes of Alexis and Lukaku have been afforded big runs in the team despite delivering little. So, even if he has a bad game, don't drop him - try and get him build back up to his best, and if it doesn't happen after however many games, then he should be rightfully dropped. I think he'd get back to said form, though.

CLK_FPC

Fists of Fury
Nonsense

Why is lazy they go to adjective when we talk about players we don't like. A few years ago you like everyone else would have been up his arse as he saved our season. Even as recently as January when he was bagging goals (good goals at that) but because Jose doesn't like him all of a sudden people are turning on him.

Facts are Jose has or has tried to turn fans against some of the biggest players of his previous clubs and been left with egg on his face. Happy the board aren't trying to add one of ours to that list

MUFC OK

Give him a run of games and he'll come good. He needs to rediscover his confidence, get him on the ball more often and play pogba left cm to link up with him. Sanchez should play RW attacking the far post, like we saw for the goal v Spurs in the FA Cup semi last season - his best game for United.

With Shaw finding form, that left side can be an absolute force

Classical Mechanic

There were no serious bidders in for him when he had 2 years on his contract and on a more modest wage. Only Spurs, Bayern and Chelsea were interested but on their terms.

If he's on a bigger wage, 5 year contract and hasn't played, who will want to buy him?

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt

Nothing more needs to be said tbh. Some people have no idea how to run a business.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia

Remember when Rashford and Martial were given a run towards the end of last season (including the Cup Final) and flopped badly? Or is that selective memory and anti-Lukaku bias of yours kicking in?

:lol::lol::lol:

He got injured April 29th ! Literally 1 day, unless you mean April 30th is the best part of April...perhaps it's your birthday ? In which case I apologise.

Revan

Assumptionman
There were no serious bidders in for him when he had 2 years on his contract and on a more modest wage. Only Spurs, Bayern and Chelsea were interested but on their terms.

If he's on a bigger wage, 5 year contract and hasn't played, who will want to buy him?
That is 3 clubs, hardly nothing at all. Woody also made him unsellable. If we want to sell him, it will be easy to do so.

roonster09

Scout

As per reports, when Spurs asked for Martial Manutd just quoted silly price in a way to say he isn't for sale. Chelsea didn't even bid for him, they wanted Martial to be included in Willian deal.

Even if he sign new contract, we can sell him for lower price. Ball will be in our court.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia

After Lukakus injury both Martial and Rashford played at Brighton, neither started vs West Ham, Martial didn't start against either Watford or in the FA Cup final.

So no I don't remember the run Martial was given at the end of the season ? I do know Lukaku has scored 7 league goals since January despite always playing when fit.