What type of rebuild do you want to see?

What’s your preferred rebuild type?

• Rebuild? Don’t need rebuild!

Votes: 8 2.0%
  • Add instant impact players - need success now

Votes: 68 17.1%
  • Add young players (external & internal) - patient rebuild with benefits 2-3 years later

Votes: 322 80.9%

• Total voters

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
What we want is rather irrelevant, it will take 2-3 years at best. That's just the reality of where we are.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
This talk of rebuild is quite strange to be honest, as if we are just coming off a golden period and are going to lose a huge amount of quality at the same time because of the old guard leaving. What exactly are we rebuilding, mediocrity? Because that seems like the case with renewals of mediocre players.

There needs to be a paradigm shift at this club, not a 'rebuild'. Everyone from top to bottom should be evaluated and improved upon if possible. It's extremely naive to think that giving Ole 2-3 seasons to 'rebuild' will achieve anything (3rd times the charm?). A manager doesn't rebuild, a club does. Scouting integration into the 1st team, fitness evaluation, negotiation of contracts and transfer fees, succession planning of manager and players. All these need to improve.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I believe in a 4th option ie remove all the deadwood now, add 7-8 new players (mostly young ones) and promote youths. That's what Sir Alex did in his early reign when he found out a side that wasn't mentally fit for purpose. That would bring the message home that complacency won't be tolerated any longer, it would be competitive not just for now but for the future.

My team

GK: DDG/Courtous, Romero, Henderson

DR: Meunier, Dalot
DC: Joachim Andersen, Lindelof, Smalling, Toby, Tuanzebe
DL: Tierney, Shaw

DM: Ndidi,Doucouré
MC: Mctominay, Fred
AMC: Pogba, Bruno Fernandes

MR: Sancho, Lozano
ML: Martial, Bergwijn

Stk: Icardi, Rashford

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
I want to see young, hungry players designed to fit a particular system.

At the moment, Man Utd have no wide midfielders, and no wide attackers. Martial, Rashford, Lingard, they're not wide attackers. Sanchez doesn't count, he's gone. Fred, Pogba, Matic, Herrera, McTominay, Pereira, all are also central players. So there's no width except provided by the full-backs. Players also lack dynamism and aggression in midfield.

Therefore there need to be dynamic young players, who are still to make a name for themselves and for whom United are one of the ultimate clubs. Declan Rice is a good example of the kind of young player United should be looking to sign. Additionally, there need to be wide players brought in who actually ARE wide players. Jadon Sancho, Hudson-Odoi, are good examples of these. This will allow United to do what always used to be done well - make the pitch bigger, attack from a variety of angles, create space.

No player joining should see United as a stepping-stone, or a step down. That means no Barca/Madrid cast-offs, and a thorough review and interview process for players to check their character, which has simply not been happening.
completely agree with these points

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Honestly, I'd be fine with taking a step back this time around. Clear out players who:
1. Lack the mentality and heart 2. Lack the quality 3. Aren't fitting with our style.
Rebuild with youth and a few low risk signings with focus on the right personality and quality, as a base. Then add on with players gradually where we see fit.

Last thing I want to see is us trying to rush together a team to build around Pogba so he doesn't leave, when he might just leave us a year later anyways. We need players with the right personality who we can trust, and we need the older players to be an example for our youngsters. Currently I'm afraid to bring our youngsters in around the squad as they'll learn to be spoiled, needy and ego from the dressing-room culture. It is not a good balance there at the moment.

Gomes, Greenwood, Chong. Martial, Rashford, Sancho.

Garner, McTominay.

Tuanzebe, Laird, Dalot.

There is a lot of players here that potentially could be involved in our future and a lot of that depends on having the right culture, style of play etc. to make things more likely. I'm not proposing we sell all senior players but I think it is important to not neglect whats in our own backyard in moments like this. Many academy players feel to have ties to the club and their dream is to play for the club, that provides a platform for a very strong commitment to the team and the club, which usually leads to big personalities within the team who always feel responsible and use their commitment and effort to improve, as a duty for the club. It is rare, but you usually find this with your own youth players and if that is nurtured and not ruined by an opposing culture in the dressing room, then it is very valuable. Obviously I'm not going to say that every young player I listed will make it, but its not only about that, its about when the next talent arrises he gets the platform to fit in and improve.

If that means taking a step back from where we currently are, weaken our realistic expectations and reduce pressure while we use our time to get our shit together and are ruthless in that process, then I'm fine with it as long as we'll see some exiting football once in a while. We are such a big club that if we use our resources patiently with a plan, our return to the top is inevitable.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
We won't be challenging next season. We won't spend the money to do so, we're probably not the attraction to acquire a host of top class players in one summer, and we have a manager learning on the job.

I favour a rebuild that integrates young players, but we need leaders in there to stop the rot.

I'd vote for a rebuild that is aggressive when it comes to shipping people out and more patient when it comes to recruitment.

Reddy Rederson

Id like to see us avoid bringing in big names for huge fees. I think all those hundreds of millions we have burning a hole should be spent raiding the best clubs from around the world for their talent scouts, coaches, executives etc. Instead of chasing the next big name, we should be moulding the next big name. I want to see us bring through the next ronaldo, and then sell him because he isnt good enough for the first team.

johanovic

I think Pogba will leave and perhaps De Gea also even though I do not want them them to leave.

In:
De Light, pay whatever it takes and make hims the best contract offer possible - He´s a true leader
Bissaka - RB
Rice - Can play DM and CB and is a leader as De Light is
Sancho - Right wing sorted
Ndomble - Outstanding midfielder that gives 100%
Rabiot - Just to good a player not to grab him up on a free if possible
M.Dembele - Striker from Lyon

Hopefully the squad could be something like:

GK: De Gea,Henderson,Romero
RB: Bissaka,Dalot,Laird
CB: De Light,Lindelof,Tuanzebe,Smalling,Jones
LB: Shaw,Dalot
DM: Rice,Garner,
CM: Pogba,Ndomble,Rabiot,McTominay,Gomes,
RW: Sancho,Lingard
Striker: Rashford,Dembele,Greenwood
LW: Martial,Chong

Young team, full of potential and talent, pace and stamina.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Id like to see us avoid bringing in big names for huge fees. I think all those hundreds of millions we have burning a hole should be spent raiding the best clubs from around the world for their talent scouts, coaches, executives etc. Instead of chasing the next big name, we should be moulding the next big name. I want to see us bring through the next ronaldo, and then sell him because he isnt good enough for the first team.
I'm not sure I understand.

Crashoutcassius

This talk of rebuild is quite strange to be honest, as if we are just coming off a golden period and are going to lose a huge amount of quality at the same time because of the old guard leaving. What exactly are we rebuilding, mediocrity? Because that seems like the case with renewals of mediocre players.

There needs to be a paradigm shift at this club, not a 'rebuild'. Everyone from top to bottom should be evaluated and improved upon if possible. It's extremely naive to think that giving Ole 2-3 seasons to 'rebuild' will achieve anything (3rd times the charm?). A manager doesn't rebuild, a club does. Scouting integration into the 1st team, fitness evaluation, negotiation of contracts and transfer fees, succession planning of manager and players. All these need to improve.
Well said. I think fans are starting to realise this after years of talking about mourinho getting in 'his players' etc. The manager is just another coach nowadays not the main man

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Yeah, I didnt say that very well at all :lol:. I mean I want us to spend our hundreds of millions on the very best proven staff from around the world. So that in 10 years time we are churning out the very best talent on a regular basis.
I know :lol: it would be a funny strategy to sign up all the future POTYs and tell them just before their peak that they're not good enough and ship them out. I know we are badly run, but it's a slight relief that it could be worse :D

settembrini

Instant success is unrealistic. Guardiola won nothing in his first season and that was with a squad that had already been making transfers with a view to him becoming their manager and it's taken Klopp several years to put together a side capable of challenging for the title. Now they both have fantastic teams and the bar is raised so high that it would be a miracle if United could challenge them next year no matter who we sign in the summer. The smart thing to do would be to identify the best young players around now, many of whom are English and would be drawn to United, and build a team that aims to be the best in a couple of years.

This would, of course, be a radical 180 from our transfer policy under Woodward when we have bought only one English player for the first team and signed huge amounts of foreign players and declining stars. So I am not especially optimistic of it happening.

Aloysius's Back 3

All these fans want a patient rebuild now :lol:

What happened when everyone was crying for Jose after LVG :lol:

Reddy Rederson

All these fans want a patient rebuild now :lol:

What happened when everyone was crying for Jose after LVG :lol:
Never wanted him, but we got him. And anyone knows that when you get jose you give him everything he wants and you get out of the way. We got him and the higher ups expected him to be another SAF. That "another SAF" is the thing thats killing us. Hes not coming back, and there isnt another one like him. SO we should have allowed jose his mistakes in recruitment, we should have bought everyone he wanted and saw where they took us. Instead we second guessed everything he did and called him names. SO now that we dont have instant success manager, what else is there apart from a long slow rebuild?

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
As I said in the top four thread, I think we're going to have to take a chance on very young players, if only to get rid of the insane expectations as all the players are crumbling under the pressure.

First get rid of the SAF old guard, the other players like Rojo, Darmian etc. Sanchez has to go as well for the good of the club.
Reinforce with mostly young players. Anyone that comes in make sure they have the right mentality.

Ole needs to also add to his coaching team with an emphasis on experienced forward thinking coaches who concentrate a lot on the technical and tactical aspects of the modern game. United can certainly afford the best and it would be a great investment. Get a system in place where everyone knows what the feck they're doing. No more emphasis on letting the player follow their instincts only - there seems only a small number of players nowadays who you can trust to make the right decisions. It seems LVG was right trying to get them to do as they're told because our players are mostly thick and you can't trust them to play with 'freedom'.

Hire the best fitness coaches and improve the sports science department. Also get some sports psychologists in. We can't have any or the ones we have are shit as our players constantly shit themselves.

The above for me would be a good start.

Fans need to play a part though and stop getting riled up by the media. It's a big issue and I'm sure that lot would like to see us relegated. The pressure they put on the club is unrelenting every since SAF left. We need to ignore them so they don't have an audience.

fezzerUTD

Need a major rebuild of humble British based players that see Man Utd as the pinnacle not the likes of Bayern, Real or Barcelona simple as that. No social media stars nothing like that.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Need a major rebuild of humble British based players that see Man Utd as the pinnacle not the likes of Bayern, Real or Barcelona simple as that. No social media stars nothing like that.
You can't just concentrate on British talent. That creates another problem as we don't have many British talent at the level we want.
Unfortunately we can't get rid of social media as it's infected all players never mind where they're from.

redIndianDevil

Our first priority should be to get in a decent coach, rebuild comes later. We cannot afford to give clueless managers tonnes of money and expect the rebuild to go smoother.

If we had appointed Guardiola/Klopp or even Pochettino after SAF left, our squad would be in amazing condition by now. Our board of directors or Woodward or whoever the feck is in charge of transfers would get a clear idea or the type of players the coach needs to make the squad good. Instead we keep dithering on managers and expect the rebuild to go well, it won't.

fezzerUTD

You can't just concentrate on British talent. That creates another problem as we don't have many British talent at the level we want.
Unfortunately we can't get rid of social media as it's infected all players never mind where they're from.
Need a big core of British talent and there is plenty coming through, with a few foreigners here and there. Social media can be capped to small amounts, none of the over the top dancing and promoting rubbish all the time.

redIndianDevil

It doesn't work like that. Look at the likes of Aguero, De Bruyne, David Silva etc. there is no rumours of these players wanting to go to Real or Barca. David Silva is Spanish and there has never been the possibility of a La Liga club taking him away from City. This is because the players are content at City because they compete for the titles there, they get good money, plus they also have a coach who improves these guys in the football pitch. We have tonnes of money, if we had a decent coach who can improve players they would want to play for us no matter what.

Varun

Staff
Frankly shocked at the huge margin option 3 is winning with. It's as if people post/react as over the top crazy fans and then vote in these polls as virtues of patience.

Fact is, even casting aside the over the top drama we see here at times, it will be difficult to accept a 3yr rebuild project while we see 2 of our biggest rivals fighting for the title. We need to strike the right balance. This isn't to say that we need to win trophies next season but we need to compete or at the very least, come close to competing. For this, we require a mix of hungry talents and top players. We must be the only "top" club in the world relying on the Martials and Rashfords of this world to lead our attack, we shouldn't do the same to a Sancho that we buy.

We need a top attacker and a top CB. We should complement these with talented young players with more in terms of potential than immediate impact.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Combination of the two. Going young is a risk, and you don’t want to turn into Arsenal.

MAME DIOUF 32

We've been largely crap for years now. I don't really care if we finish 8th rather than 5th so long as we're building something. I'm fine with it getting worse before it gets better, so bring in young players from our club and elsewhere.

Stadjer

I want to see young, hungry players designed to fit a particular system.

At the moment, Man Utd have no wide midfielders, and no wide attackers. Martial, Rashford, Lingard, they're not wide attackers. Sanchez doesn't count, he's gone. Fred, Pogba, Matic, Herrera, McTominay, Pereira, all are also central players. So there's no width except provided by the full-backs. Players also lack dynamism and aggression in midfield.

Therefore there need to be dynamic young players, who are still to make a name for themselves and for whom United are one of the ultimate clubs. Declan Rice is a good example of the kind of young player United should be looking to sign. Additionally, there need to be wide players brought in who actually ARE wide players. Jadon Sancho, Hudson-Odoi, are good examples of these. This will allow United to do what always used to be done well - make the pitch bigger, attack from a variety of angles, create space.

No player joining should see United as a stepping-stone, or a step down. That means no Barca/Madrid cast-offs, and a thorough review and interview process for players to check their character, which has simply not been happening.
I wouldnt mind "cast-offs". Sneider was a Madrid cast off and win the CL with Inter. Robben was a Madrid cast off and won the CL with Bayern. Eto'o was a Barcelona cast off and won the cl with Inter. Sanchez was a Barcelona cast off and was one of the best players in England when he played for Arsenal (he is pretty shit now though). I wouldnt say no to Raketic, Umtiti or Dembélé if Barcelona wants to get rid of them.

The Irish Connection

I said instant impact as I think the younger players we should be after would be able to do that.

If pogba wants to go then we can get 120m for him.

Then sell Rojo, Darmian, Sánchez, Bailly getting around another 70m in.

Sign Sancho 90m , De Ligt/Koulibaly 80m, Rice 50m, Fernandes 55m, Meunier 20m and Jota or Lozano for 30m
=325m

- 190m

= 135m net spend.

This would give wiggle room for an extra 10m if needed for Sancho and/or Wan Bissaka instead of Meunier.
And even enough budget left to spend on another midfielder or defender.
Oh and I would take bale on loan as well if Madrid are offering.

Obviously this is all fantasy and a big IF considering the way our board have operated over the years but if we are any way serious we should be doing something similar to the above.
As well as moving on about 8-10 players including the ones mentioned.

Edit: Doherty is another option for right back, good at taking players on.

Wallez

Of course I would want us to get new owners and rebuild the structure of the club management, but this isn't going to happen anytime soon. In my mind, the key points to getting the club out of the complete mess we have been in since SAF left are:
1) Get rid of overpaid players that are either not good enough or don't want to be here.
2) Bring in young, hungry players that have both the ability to contribute from day 1 and the mentality to develop further.
3) Give Solskjær and his team financial backing (within reasonable boundaries) and time to rebuild the squad.
4) Settle for a main playing style, formation and starting 11. This has been the biggest problem for Solskjær in his managerial career in my mind, as it looks like he has to implement a SAF-style of rotation both at Molde and Cardiff. This did especially hurt his last period in Molde, where they had the best squad in the league but failed to perform consistently as Solskjær kept changing things up even though they only played only 1 game per week. I think the best way forward is to focus on a certain playing style with a core group of 8-10 players playing almost every game, and fully master this style.

Transfers out
* Alexis Sanchez (free): goes without saying, just hope that someone are willing to take him and his wages.
* Antonio Valencia (free): been a good solider for a long time, but it is time to go.
* Juan Mata (free): a fine player, but just doesn't fit anywhere into our team. We need to freshen up the squad, and I don't think a hefty new contract for Mata is the way forward.
* Ander Herrera (free): while I think it is a disgrace that he looks to be leaving on a free with our current midfield situation, I suspect that he has already signed for PSG.
* Matteo Darmian (10 mill): a bad fit at United, but will probably do well for a solid Serie A team.
* Marcos Rojo (10 mill): a bad fit at United, but will probably do well for a solid La Liga team.
* Eric Bailly (25 mill): his talent is obvious, but so is also his limitations. I think it would be wise to keep Smalling and Jones as backup players to keep the English spine in the team, but it is in nobody's interest to have Bailly on the bench. He should have a decent market value, and would probably do well for a solid La Liga team.
* Romelu Lukaku (60 mill): hasn't been the striker we thought we signed, and is giving indications in the media that he sees his future elsewhere. Wouldn't mind him being sold if we can get something close to what we paid for him.
Incoming fees: 105 mill

This would also free up a lot of our wage budget, and allow us to sign new contracts with De Gea and Pogba.

Transfers in
* RB: maybe the position that is most important to improve this summer. Young is not good enough, while Dalot has shown little that indicates that he is ready to be a starting RB for us anytime soon. While Meunier might be a decent short-term solution until Dalot is ready, I really like the look of Wan-Bissaka (50 mill). He has been superb for Palace since day 1, and the combination of ability, potential, age, nationality and availability really makes him a no-brainer for me. If we can land him for 50 mill I would be delighted.
* CB: we need a left-footed CB that is able to play the ball and has decent pace to cover for Lindelöf, as this will give us a duo that allows us to play from the back. While I think both Lenglet and Umtiti looks like solid fits, I am not sure that they would be interested to leave Barcelona for anything other than economical reasons, and this is not the type of players we need more of. I actually think Nathan Aké (50 mill) would be a fine solution, as he fits the bill both in terms of ball-playing abilities and physicality. He might not be the biggest of CBs, but is fairly good in the air. He has shown that he is a solid CB in the Prem, and I think he has the potential to develop into a top CB.
* DM: Declan Rice (50 mill) would be perfect as a Matic replacement, as he is decent with the ball, covers a lot of ground and is rock solid defensively. By playing Rice and McTominay as part of our midfield trio, Pogba would have perfect conditions to shine.
* RW: we should do everything to get our hands on Jadon Sancho (100 mill) as he would finally give us a solid option at RW.
Outgoing fees: 250 mill

Starting XI
De Gea
Wan-Bissaka - Lindelöf - Aké - Shaw
McTominay - Rice - Pogba
Sancho - Rashford - Martial

Not a starting 11 that will win the league next season, but would surely develop into title contenders in a couple of years.

Backup XI
Romero
Dalot - Smalling - Jones - Young
Matic - Fred
Chong - Pereira - Lingard
Greenwood

GailSpaceWynand

Yes, I signed up with this name.
I think we need majority of young players since players in their prime and WC level tend to be not cheap. A handful of impact players and rest all youngsters who can be eased in slowly (already have a few good ones here) . I still don't think our core young group is bad - we need a few impact players to lead as an example - we only have Matic at that level who's won something big. Rest are not leaders just clowns who want to be head clown when the team is having fun; we need players who can step up during pressure games.

beergod

I voted for #2. We need more productive solid players, not bringing in kids and saddling them with huge expectations.

It's much easier to bring through kids when your squad has players that can be relied upon to produce.

Web of Bissaka

:lol: Is that 1st option trolling?

Anyway, ideally young players making instant impacts.

Prioritizing..
I prefer us focus on rebuilt with young players (that's more long-term) which takes time, than older players or prime age players making instant impacts (often short-term) but quickly dwindle down.
Most recent case:
Matic and Lukaku instantly made good impacts, but then towards the end of their first season -- Matic turning bad quickly and Lukaku is rubbish now.

Sauldogba

Shocked at how many people have voted for
Add young players (external & internal) - patient rebuild with benefits 2-3 years later

I think a good chunk of the problems we have and why our squad is pretty meh right now is down to the fact that we have these "young" players that we have to wait years to develop all because of this "united way" blah blah bollocks.
Having to rely on Rashford,Martial,Shaw to develop and get better in the hope they turn into world class footballers.
I also dont think that works in the modern game anymore.
Imagine being a world class player not winning any trophies because our fans want to treat united as some sort of a nursery.
Eventually these players will want to leave then we will be rebuilding all over again.
This aint the 90s no more where other teams cant get our players.
There are teams that can afford the wages we offer them and pay a decent transfer fee for them.
Its a recipe for disaster in my opinion.

Schmeichel=God

Wack 500 million on this lot y voilah.

Instant opportunity to improve in year 1 on ability alone. Then gel and move into the following years with a real chance of trophies.

Shaw, McTominay & Pogba the ones heading up the new era.
Smalling, Rashford, Lingard the experienced ones in the squad.
Lindelof settling nicely and now with experience. Pereira in a nearby bracket.
CBJ, TFM to return and represent our younger talent. Possibly Tuanzebe also, unless loaned out again.
Gomes, Chong, Greenwood to have the opportunity to form the next gen Utd blood.

It's these different 'generations' of experience/youth/red blood that will knit together our squad alongside the large scale squad surgery that is needed.

Got my eye on McTominay as a possible future captain. Actual captain from that squad though is a tough choice. I feel if Pogba stays and re-focuses, sees that level of transfer endeavour, then he could have a chance at being captain. In that AM spot he would be relieved of primary defensive duties therefore reducing the level of criticism he would face. Then as the figurehead of the new era, perhaps he could have a shot at captaincy. I would make Smalling vice captain, Shaw third, McTominay fourth. No there is not a real Keane type leader amongst those, but there is a consistency, experience, resilience, and a commitment amongst Smalling, Shaw and McTominay that means they are worthy

Last edited:

fezzerUTD

It doesn't work like that. Look at the likes of Aguero, De Bruyne, David Silva etc. there is no rumours of these players wanting to go to Real or Barca. David Silva is Spanish and there has never been the possibility of a La Liga club taking him away from City. This is because the players are content at City because they compete for the titles there, they get good money, plus they also have a coach who improves these guys in the football pitch. We have tonnes of money, if we had a decent coach who can improve players they would want to play for us no matter what.
Ok i could narrow down a bit differently, maybe have a wage structure. No getting bled to death by idiots like Pogba Sanchez Martial Herrera, invest wisely.

deafepl

Shocked at how many people have voted for
Add young players (external & internal) - patient rebuild with benefits 2-3 years later

I think a good chunk of the problems we have and why our squad is pretty meh right now is down to the fact that we have these "young" players that we have to wait years to develop all because of this "united way" blah blah bollocks.
Having to rely on Rashford,Martial,Shaw to develop and get better in the hope they turn into world class footballers.
I also dont think that works in the modern game anymore.
Imagine being a world class player not winning any trophies because our fans want to treat united as some sort of a nursery.
Eventually these players will want to leave then we will be rebuilding all over again.
This aint the 90s no more where other teams cant get our players.
There are teams that can afford the wages we offer them and pay a decent transfer fee for them.
Its a recipe for disaster in my opinion.

I think a patient rebuild is needed, I recall Everton, AC Milan and other club signed a lot of players and overhauled their squad, they didn't get the result they want.

So If we sign 4 or 5 quality first starters this summer in RW, CB, CM, RB and possibly attacker if Lukaku is sold. If 3 or 4 out of 5 signings to be successful, we should aim to be closer to the title rather than batting for 4 UCL spots. We have a core of Shaw, Lindelof, Pogba and De Gea I think is good enough for us to challenge title and we'd be contenders for the UCL and PL if we have 60% to 75% ratio success in the transfer window over 2 years.

De Gea
??? Lindelof ??? Shaw
???
????
Pogba
??? ??? ???
Martial and Rashford could make it but they need to be more ruthless in front of goal and is consistent. So if they can't do next season, we have to replace them with top signing and regelate Martial and Rashford to the bench.

Last edited:

Cathy Ferguson

Out free transfer: Mata, Herrera, Sanchez.

Sold: Darmian 10m, Rojo 10m, Bailly 20m, and if we can find better alternatives Lukaku and Martial 100m in total. I would keep Pogba, just.

In: RB Wan-Bissaka?, CB Koulibaly?, RW Sancho?, CM? We must get those four transfers spot on. Maybe an old striker to support Greenwood.

That should secure top 4 and we can challange for the title in 20/21 if we continue to strengthen.

My main worry is not Ole, it is the money available and our poor transfer record the last 6-7 years.