What would you rather win? FA Cup? Or EL?

What would you rather win?

• FA Cup

Votes: 131 40.9%
  • Europa League

Votes: 189 59.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

RedDevilRoshi

I’d only vote for FA Cup if we were to finish in the top 4. Need to get back into the CL whether it’s top 4 or winning the EL. Basically focus on ourselves first before worrying about others. Stopping City winning a possible treble will be great but I can’t see them getting past Real Madrid in the CL semi finals anyway though who look by far the more likely out of ourselves and Arsenal in stopping them from winning a possible treble.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
I believe stopping City winning the treble is a lot sweeter and would mean much more to most people, I’m a bit surprised so many still choosing EL.
Hence the first line "purely focussing on us", meaning take City's treble chances off the table

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

The FA Cup has far more prestige than a second rate European competition. I can only assume Europa League is ahead in the poll because people are worried we won't get top 4. I'm not worried - we're better than Spurs even with half our team injured.

Siorac

The FA Cup has far more prestige than a second rate European competition. I can only assume Europa League is ahead in the poll because people are worried we won't get top 4. I'm not worried - we're better than Spurs even with half our team injured.
I think it's an age and location thing, or at least those play a major part.

It's a generalisation but my assumption is that the younger you are, the less likely you are to care about the FA Cup, as opposed to a European trophy. Similarly, if you aren't from the UK, you probably value the FA Cup less.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

It's a generalisation but my assumption is that the younger you are, the less likely you are to care about the FA Cup, as opposed to a European trophy. Similarly, if you aren't from the UK, you probably value the FA Cup less.
Maybe you're right about location but I'm not sure age factors into it. I'm still in my 20s and the FA Cup means a lot to me: growing up it was the only live football you could watch on tv if you didn't have a sky subscription.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd

Yeah, this.

I remember a time when winning the odd FA Cup was a big thing (83, 85).

And - as I keep harping on about - the Europa just is a shit trophy. It absolutely does not carry the same weight as the old UEFA/CW cups for reasons that I won't repeat for the umpteenth time.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
i wonder if fans in any other League would prefer domestic cup instead of Europa cup.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
i wonder if fans in any other League would prefer domestic cup instead of Europa cup.
The FA Cup is special. Its historical significance is on a different level (compared to most domestic cups).

This was true well before the CL era (when the FA Cup's status was diminished to a great extent): the domestic cups in other major European federations (Spain, Italy, Germany) never compared to the FA Cup in terms of status.

dove

FA. Arsenal having won it most times is just not right.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
The FA Cup is special. Its historical significance is on a different level (compared to most domestic cups).

This was true well before the CL era (when the FA Cup's status was diminished to a great extent): the domestic cups in other major European federations (Spain, Italy, Germany) never compared to the FA Cup in terms of status.
Probably it was more prestigious. But what's the difference between FA Cup and Carabao Cup the way they're held right now, when we know a PL team will always win it?

I won't feel happier if we win EL + FA instead of EL + Carabao.

Anyway, at this point though, I'll be happy with winning another trophy.

Last edited:

FerociousCorgis

i mean obvious answer is that it depends on league finish position. Finish 5th and i cant imagine someone would seriously argue for FA cup over Europa League at that point.

Strootman's Finger

Personally would prefer the Europa League, but we need to make the FA Cup our priority, we can't have city tainting another one of our records by winning a treble this season.

Todd

Don't care much about the Europa League, and to be honest, let's hope that this season is the last time we're competing in it.

If we win the F.A. Cup we'll be spoiling what very well could've been a treble for City, so that would be pretty nice. Also there's something cool about winning both of the English cups in the same season.

That being said, both of these cups now come second to maintaining top 4 in my eyes. That should be the priority from Sunday on.

tomaldinho1

Easily FA cup with the CL qualification guaranteed in the OP.

EL is generally not where we want to be, is a long and tedious road usually without any usual blockbuster ties (I guess we were lucky we got a Barca albeit they aren’t amazing these days) whereas FA cup is the main domestic cup, it’s one third (given the least important) of the true treble.

mu4c_20le

EL is a second tier trophy, FA cup will always mean more. Don't particularly care about city's 'treble' as they aren't going to win the league anyways. They'll feck up at some point and then Pep will focus on the CL.

Sylar

My initial thought was Europa, cos its a European cup albeit second level.

But when you think about it, FA Cup would mean beating Brighton and City(and beating City in the final).
It also ends their treble and would be nice to beat Pep and City in a final.
I believe it also puts us on 13 one behind Arsenal.
Also the caveat of already having CL football, would mean a top four finish with a domestic cup double. Which sounds like a really good first season and one to build on.

Siorac

Maybe you're right about location but I'm not sure age factors into it. I'm still in my 20s and the FA Cup means a lot to me: growing up it was the only live football you could watch on tv if you didn't have a sky subscription.
I'm not saying that every single young person sees the FA Cup as a second rate trophy; I'm reasonably confident that within older generations, the ratio of people who hold the FA Cup in high regard is higher compared to the ratio among twentysomethings.

Chairman Steve

Europa League for the prestige and the need to gather more European trophies, but I acknowledge it’s a pain in the ass, long winded competition. I wish they did away with the CL dropouts round and CL dropouts altogether. If you’re not 1st or 2nd in a CL group, you’re out of Europe altogether.

League Cup and FA Cup are one and the same to me these days.

But none of those compare to the prospect of a Glazer full sale at the end of the season. That will be a trophy in itself.

Last edited:

RedRocket9908

We are going to struggle against a tough Brighton side in the Semi of the FA Cup with Lindeloff as our only fit and available CB and might well be eliminated.

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
I believe stopping City winning the treble is a lot sweeter and would mean much more to most people, I’m a bit surprised so many still choosing EL.
I’m with you on this one.

Belisarius

And here’s the important bit. Make your decision on the basis that we will compete in next season’s CL regardless.

FA Cup for me. Always had a soft spot for it and been way too long since we last won it. Plus winning a cup competition with this City team in the last four would be a hell of an achievement.
Fa Cup! But only because of the caveat you added about us finishing top 4. Without that, it would definitely be Europa League for me.

KikiDaKats

Supports
Hence the first line "purely focussing on us", meaning take City's treble chances off the table
There is no taking City out of this discussion. I’d rather win the EPL or UCL but that not the situation right now.
We only have control in stopping City through the FA Cup, anywhere else is in handing the responsibility to an Arsenal team that’s deliberately throwing the league.

wolvored

EL is a bigger cup as you are playing the better teams, maybe not the very top, but you can play non league league 2 etc in the FA cup. Plus with the more matches its harder to win.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

I'm not saying that every single young person sees the FA Cup as a second rate trophy; I'm reasonably confident that within older generations, the ratio of people who hold the FA Cup in high regard is higher compared to the ratio among twentysomethings.
Fair enough. You're probably right. I think if you have your first trip to Wembley at an early age then you're definitely more likely to hold the FA Cup in high regard (even if my first two trips were both United defeats!)

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

Certainly seems that way.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
There is no taking City out of this discussion. I’d rather win the EPL or UCL but that not the situation right now.
We only have control in stopping City through the FA Cup, anywhere else is in handing the responsibility to an Arsenal team that’s deliberately throwing the league.
For the 3rd time, looking purely at us I want success for my club. And the EL is a bigger achievement than the FA cup is this this season.

But if I want to put a pure spiteful cap on, then yeah win the FA cup. Seems more important to stop the treble for a rival than actually enjoy a trophy for some here.

KikiDaKats

Supports
For the 3rd time, looking purely at us I want success for my club. And the EL is a bigger achievement than the FA cup is this this season.

But if I want to put a pure spiteful cap on, then yeah win the FA cup. Seems more important to stop the treble for a rival than actually enjoy a trophy for some here.
Haha.

I love me some bragging rights.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
As long as CL football is secured, it's an easy choice. No treble for City and winning both domestic cups would be quite lovely. We've already beaten the best team in the Europa (or attempting to get into it) so there's that. To win the FA Cup we'd have to beat City in a game they'd likely be desperate to win en route to achieving something considered great by non-cheating teams.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
And here’s the important bit. Make your decision on the basis that we will compete in next season’s CL regardless.

FA Cup for me. Always had a soft spot for it and been way too long since we last won it. Plus winning a cup competition with this City team in the last four would be a hell of an achievement.
Generally I'd pick Europa League everytime as you go straight to CL Group stage

However, this season with the threat of a City treble on the cards, FA Cup suddenly increases in value

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
After hearing that Martinez is gone for the feast of the season I’ll be happy if we manage top 4. Anything extra would be fab.

Son

I said FA Cup this season.

I’d usually say Europa League but we really need to get a few more FA Cups on the board given Arsenal are ahead of us in that.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I answered Europa League, generally speaking. This season it's probably FA Cup just to stop the potential treble. Europa League far more realistic though unfortunately.