What's happened to Antonio Valencia?

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
His physical decline was evident last season too. He went from being one of our best players in 16/17 to below average in 17/18. The trend has continued this season and we need to say thanks and farewell.
This. It's hardly a shock he hasn't been playing this season given the writing was on the wall last year and this year he had to compete with both a Young and Dalot (given Shaw has locked down the LB position)

A better question than what's happened to him is how will he be remembered? He was essentially Ronaldo's replacement and an assist machine for Rooney in the 09/10 season, got a bad injury the season later and has been a RB ever since (bar a few fleeting stars back as a winger)

Judas

Open to offers
He's been a weak pick for a couple of seasons now. Hopefully Young is doing the same
Young can still be relied upon to put in good performances pretty much every week though? I still think we should be looking to upgrade on him obviously, but it's unfair to compare the two. Valencia has been awful and on the wain for years.

AndyJ1985

He's a one trick winger-turned-fullback who has last his one trick and has last his pace. Unsurprisingly he's now far from good enough. He should have been replaced ages ago, but we do enjoy keeping poor players well beyond their best before date.

48 hours

Any concrete source?

He needs to be phased out for sure; hope he gets a proper send-off and testimonial. Model professional and was always dependable. But his time as a starter should come to an end.
Seems to be the mirror and sun reporting it. Apparently Newcastle would take him in Jan, if we pay off his contract. Sounds a great deal

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
This is the kind of dumbass way of looking at football I hate. As soon as somebody is past their peak, ship them out and bring in the latest hipster player from a foreign league.

No understanding of what Young has brought to the table..... in a time when we are desperately lacking in leaders, here is a player who has stood up to be counted. Gives everything, has experience as a United player which you can't buy, and he is doing well at full back. It wasn't too long since he was one of the best England players at the World Cup, when his leadership was also important. In an era of snowflakes, Ash Young definately isn't one of them, and he certainly shouldn't be asked to leave.
Similar things were said about Valencia just few months ago, until his managers realised he is crap and that you don't deserve captaincy and starting place in the team just by being good example.

Young wasn't good even at his peak, let alone now. I wouldn't sell him just for the sake of it, I would leave him as third/fourth choice option, but that's really about it.

Castia

I think it stems from the summer apparently he can back completely out of shape and was nowhere near fit enough. I dont know what’s happened with him but when 2 separate managers leave the club captain outside of match day squads something isn’t right.

pascell

He's got old, his body struggles to recover from injuries as quickly as when he was younger, past injuries now taking a toll on his body.

He's been unfairly slated on here in the past year or so, he's been a brilliant player for us but realistically he should've been back up to a new RB 2 seasons ago.

Bola

Discraceful way for Ole to treat the captain and one of United's greatest number 7s.
Have you seen his performances this season?

Unfortunately he has fallen off a cliff. His performance against Newcastle was appaling for a United player and an utter disgrace for the Captain.

With 5 full backs at the club, along with the possibility of bring TFM back and Laird emerging in the academy, he is surplus to requirements. Could potentially do a job elsewhere but he is finished here

Robbo's Shoulder

Supports
United and Barrow AFC
Been a good servant to the club but at 33 going on 34, not in the best shape and seemingly well down the pecking order, it's time to move on.

fallengt

Not sure what does Valencia offer nowadays? We have Young for his spot.
He seems like a quite character which is a good thing, it's easier for both parties to part away.

laughtersassassin

This was coming miles away. Many posters have been saying it for a few seasons. We should have started to replace him 3 seasons ago. Waiting till get Dalot till now leaves us in a bad position for next season if he isn't ready to be the first choice as you really don't want young to be the first choice right back if you want to be a top team.

Bola

If you think he's a good enough fullback for us then perhaps football isn't the sport for you.

He was a squad player in his preferred position. He's now 33, playing out of position, and frankly costing us goals. He might run up to the referee every now and then but we need much, much more from our players if we want to resume challenging for titles.
If Valencia goes and Darmian is sold/ contract expires, we will be down to 2 full backs. One has a question mark on injuries the other is green.

Crazy to get rid of Young. He certainly isn't perfect, but he functions and has a key squad role until the end of the season

Could potentially keep for 19/20, but it depends on his condition and the strength of the squad. There is no point wasting money on a Zappacosta or Danillo type player.

Returning to Valencia, some may say he could provide that squad role but I'm afraid he is past it. Other than defending, he offers nothing in an attacking sense now. That won't work at united

If Valencia goes and Darmian is sold/ contract expires, we will be down to 2 full backs. One has a question mark on injuries the other is green.

Crazy to get rid of Young. He certainly isn't perfect, but he functions and has a key squad role until the end of the season

Could potentially keep for 19/20, but it depends on his condition and the strength of the squad. There is no point wasting money on a Zappacosta or Danillo type player.

Returning to Valencia, some may say he could provide that squad role but I'm afraid he is past it. Other than defending, he offers nothing in an attacking sense now. That won't work at united
Agreed but that's a different question. We need to keep some of our fullbacks around to make sure we have adequate cover, but that doesn't mean that Valencia and Young have been anything other than poor for us for some time now. At RB we really only have the hope that Dalot will come good, the others are almost just there to fill a shirt now. Darmian seems like he's off and Valencia and Young are well past it.

Tarrou

I wish people would leave him alone instead of saying he's unprofessional or other unproven rumors.

The man got old, his performances decline naturally. Time to phase it out.
Yeah, and everyone else struggled a bit in the last year too. Valencia has declined physically but in the past he's done more than enough to earn our respect during a tough period for him.

Abizzz

He's a 33 year old who's been played out of position for ages now. Credit to him for performing so long to the level he has, but football at the highest level is extremely demanding. Only few players ever reach a good enough level to play for a team like United in their peak, let alone thereafter. As much as I like him it's time to move on.

Saw this after posting but basically:
I wish people would leave him alone instead of saying he's unprofessional or other unproven rumors.

The man got old, his performances decline naturally. Time to phase it out.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
He's a great servant for the club and I wish him the best. If I'm not mistaken he fell completely out of favour the second he 'accidently' liked a Jose out picture on Instagram.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
This. It's hardly a shock he hasn't been playing this season given the writing was on the wall last year and this year he had to compete with both a Young and Dalot (given Shaw has locked down the LB position)

A better question than what's happened to him is how will he be remembered? He was essentially Ronaldo's replacement and an assist machine for Rooney in the 09/10 season, got a bad injury the season later and has been a RB ever since (bar a few fleeting stars back as a winger)
He has been better than I anticipated, so I will have a good memory of him. Of course, he should have been upgraded a long time ago but it's not his responsibility.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Injuries got the best of him and he’s lost his confidence. It happens unfortunately.

Probably best for him to retire while he’s at the top, but he will probably have a last year somewhere until he realises it’s not worth it anymore.

He’s been a fantastic servant though, so I wish him the very best. Can he have a testimonial yet?

johanovic

Discraceful way for Ole to treat the captain and one of United's greatest number 7s.
Are you one of the Mourinho fan boys taking a pop at Ole? Valencia has just grown old and are you serious in stating Valencia as one of United number 7s?

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Hm, if we are preparer to let Darmian and Valencia leave, will we be looking at bringing in a new fullback? Or is Young, Shaw and Dalot considered sufficient?!

hobbers

Can't have a right back who no team mate ever wants to pass the ball to because of how negative they are.

If you look at what Luke Shaw did for our second goal against Arsenal, Valencia is the very antithesis of that expansive and brave and forward thinking football.

And even though he was Mourinho's ideal full-back (in theory) he still got dropped because physically he can't handle this level any more. And Young has been massively outperforming him.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Good professional who improved his defensive game to stay at the club when it was clear he was a busted flush going forward. You can’t fault his attitude.

But he hasn’t been good for a loooong time. His last good season was in 2012, it’s crazy how he’s still here really. His decline was so sharp and sudden as well, it’s baffling how he went from one of the best wingers in the world to unable to beat a man or cross a ball.

He’s been here 10 years, and he’s been below par for 7 of them. But he keeps getting picked, and keeps getting renewed, so what the hell do I know? I’m hoping Ole has the good sense to palm him off on Inter Milan or something. Give him a testimonial, thank him for his 10 years and wave him off. Yet every summer I think he’ll be shown the door so I genuinely wouldn’t be surprised if he’s still here next season.

Oneunited26

We need ruthless aggression, this club should not be a charity for older players past their prime, while young and darmian are also not good enough atleast those two can play both fullback positions. Valencia not only is limited in his RB position, he can only play there and we get delot coming through we don’t need him. Valencia is part of deadwood FC, and him along with fellaini are the first need to be out the door. He’s been poor for far too long, and now is the time to let him go, he has no value so a free transfer is what is best.

Nikelesh Reddy

Wouldn’t be surprised if he leaves in January...He’s been a terrific servant to the club but I think it’s time to move on.We need a new RB this summer...

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
Did you not see the Newcastle match? Ole talked him up, gave him his chance then he almost cost us the match ala gnev style.

I hope the news is true. It shows someone has got a working pair of eyes.

Last edited:

snk123

Needs more chances and time to get his confidence back. Still a very very good player.

zenith

He's been brilliant for us and hope he is not just shunted out. Lad deserves a proper farewell. He gave it his all

snk123

People have such short memories! Excellent servant of the club - never did you question his commitment and effort.

Canagel

He was always average technically but relaint on pace/power plus solid engine and once that goes you've got nothing left.

snk123

Based on what exactly? Because I've not seen any evidence he's still a very good player, not for a long time now. There's no shame in age catching up with you, and it has.
Based on the fact he's not had a chance under Ole and his attacking football. His game against Newcastle was a difficult one and it showed him so reluctant to run that I've never seen before. Give him a couple more chances and if its the same, we can move on.