What's more impressive? Brighton getting EL or Newcastle getting CL.

Ian Reus

Ended 14 years of Grand National sweepstakes
Although Newcastle got top 3/4 and reached a cup final for first times in years, I still think Brighton had the more impressive season as they also lost their manager and still got 6th.

Uniquim

I think Brighton is very impressive overall as a club. They've kept doing the right things over several years, and even the seasons before they got 9th last year, they looked like a better team than their position on the table. That they've taken another step this year is quite something. Seems like they've got a really good scouting and recruitment system in place too.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
Brighton are simply looking fantastic to watch, and getting the results. They have lost key players and are likely to lose more, and yet seem to keep picking up absolute gems. Ferguson, Mitoma, Enciso, Buonanotte, Caicedo, MacAllister, Gross to name but a few.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Keeping Forest up is more impressive than either.

PoTMS

Newcastle. Brighton have been really good this season, arguably the third best team in the league, but still only finished 6th. As the cliche goes, the table doesn't lie but I'm not sure about that. I think Brighton should've been further up the table with their brilliant performances this season. Having said that, it's still been an amazing season considering they were in the Championship not long ago.

SAFMUTD

I'd say brighton, not only because of the results but the way they play. It's really impressive how they compete toe to toe with anyone, they lost key players last season and their manager and yet they managed to get top 6. Absolute master class from their managment.

Sylar

Brighton because they also lost their manager, half their staff and some players this season and still somehow improved.

They also had caceidos head turned in January and had to sit him out too.

Fa cup semi final
And Europa League qualification and playing the best football they've ever played

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Disagree with those saying Brighton. I think they’re subconsciously answering ‘which club has been run better’ and / or ‘who do you like more’.

Brighton have got a better squad than Newcastle and arguably a better coach. They’ve also been pumped full of money, and for a longer time, albeit British money.

Both are great achievements, but Newcastle really had no business getting Top 4 with that squad in a league with City, Arsenal, Utd, Chelsea, Liverpool and Spurs in it.

SER19

If Newcastle hadn't been bought by a corrupt and murderous state, Brighton would quite likely be even higher up. People like to pretend that fans of big clubs just dont want anybody competing, but no, fans of clubs like Brighton are being cheated. Take out the oil clubs and Brighton have made top 4.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Disagree with those saying Brighton. I think they’re subconsciously answering ‘which club has been run better’ and / or ‘who do you like more’.

Brighton have got a better squad than Newcastle and arguably a better coach. They’ve also been pumped full of money, and for a longer time, albeit British money.

Both are great achievements, but Newcastle really had no business getting Top 4 with that squad in a league with City, Arsenal, Utd, Chelsea, Liverpool and Spurs in it.
Brighton have spent circa £300m in the last 5 seasons or so.
Newcastle have spent circa £450m,
Albeit quite a lot of that coming in the last few windows.

Brighton really have no right getting anywhere close to European football, Newcastle should be challenging for European football, both with the amount they've spent but also their wage bill which is nearly three times the amount of Brighton's.

TheLiverBird

Newcastle have done tremendously well getting CL, but that’s only because imo Liverpool and Chelsea weren’t at it this season

Brighton getting EL was entirely unexpected, granted Newcastle getting in the top 4 was relatively unexpected too, but no one saw this Brighton team smashing threw The ranks like they have

This topic can make out Newcastle’s achievements in reaching the top 4 isn’t all that, when of course it is spectacular! But I think Brighton just edges it for me too

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Newcastle if they hadn't become the new City style model.
Very very obviously Brighton then.

Abraxas

I would say Newcastle. Mainly because that caught me completely off guard. I still look at that squad and scratch my head at how they've been so good and consistent with a framework of players that are leftovers from sides that were fairly horrible. They've made some very smart additions, but nothing outrageous in the market and to get those players that were previously average playing so well alongside the new ones has been quite the shock. I still look at it and I don't really see a side I would think can finish third, yet that is possible for them. I don't really look at the achievement as blighted by oil money yet, because in truth...what they've done in the market is nothing any investor couldn't have done. It really hasn't been anything crazy.

Brighton have done really well but it's part of their recent arc. They were pretty good under Potter when he left, and now they're even better under De Zerbi. When you've got players linked to other clubs for 60-80 million you know the talent identification and processes have been building up for a while. The new manager just took what was there on another level with his attention to detail and tactics.

Hard to say really, it's tough to bring the job either of those managers have done down.

Baneofthegame

Have they been pumped with money? 170 million euros over three years by premier league standards is hardly a massive sum, Newcastle spent that basically on Botman/Bruno/Isak.

Wonder Pigeon

'Shelbourne FC Supporter'
Supports
Shelbourne
Both club's success is a vindication of their respective business models but only Newcastle's business model makes me totally depressed so Brighton for me.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Have they been pumped with money? 170 million euros over three years by premier league standards is hardly a massive sum, Newcastle spent that basically on Botman/Bruno/Isak.
Yeah, to be fair I wasn’t claiming they’ve spent equal to Newcastle, but they’ve had a lot of money put into them relative to their previous level and I don’t think finishing 6th in a season where most big teams have drastically underperformed is that amazing.

I think Newcastle - finishing with CL footy and making a cup final along the way is more impressive with Newcastle’s squad, which I maintain is worse than Brighton’s squad overall.

But again - they’re both great achievements.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Brighton is really impressive, but I think people are underestimating how difficult it is to get into, and stay, in the Top 4.

Newcaatle are horrible to watch and masters of the dark arts, but they have gotten top 4 with the likes of Longstaff, Burn, Schar, Anderson, Almiron getting regular minutes. Good players, but nowhere near what you would assume to be an eleven capable of getting Champions League football.

It is unfashionable and hard to watch, not to mention their initial backing, but it’s still a team that were relegation candidates mere months before this.

Newcastle is more impressive for me.

horsechoker

The Caf's Ezza.
Brighton

Far less money and had their manager poached. Could have easily gone off the rails after Potter left but they got better

Arthur Albiston's perm

Brighton - for most of the reasons above - although my respect for them lessened after our recent game with their theatrics at times.

leontas

Brighton. I expected Newcastle to be up there after spending £250m. They seemed solid end of last season too. Brighton lost their manager and a lot of key players.

roonster09

FA Cup Predictions 2023/2024 winner
Scout
Brighton, they lost their long term manager midseason and also staff, they didn't look back at all. They even improved with new coach midseason.

Kag

Newcastle. There’s some really naff players in that first team who are playing well above their level. Burn, Schar, Longstaff, Murphy and Almiron to name a few.

That squad is nowhere near top four quality and they’ve gone and done it.

RVN1991

Newcastle if they hadn't become the new City style model.
Very very obviously Brighton then.
Have they become the new City? Minus Isak, what big name signing have they made?

I see a lot of lower mid table players doing a job for Newcastle, I'd argue Brighton have a much better side overall despite them not having Newcastle's money.

MexicanCowboy

Supports
Barcelona
Clubs that achieve their goals organically will always have more merit than oil clubs. Not only that, Brighton also play more fun football.

KeanoMagicHat

Keeping Forest up is more impressive than either.
Not really, Forest spent a shitload of money and a lot of players. Would have been considered a big flop if they went straight down with that investment.

Gandalf

Plucky upstarts Newcastle have had to manage on a meagre net spend of 300M Euros sice Eddie Howe arrived 18 months ago. They clearly should be crowned team of the century just for avoiding relegation never mind getting CL football.

Brighton on the other hand failed to get anywhere near the CL despite rigging the system by selling Cucurella to Chelsea and Trossard to Arsenal and then trolling us all by handing the starting GK job to a career backup from the Championship. RDB should be sacked for not managing a proper title challenge.