What's your darkest moment as a United fan?

Dread Devil

Losing the league to Blackburn in 95. They were playing in Liverpool and we were at Upton Park…we were 2pts behind going in to the game with some momentum.

United fans could feel it but we just couldn’t score…Ince and Cole had planets of chances..

the only ticket I could get was in the West Ham end and that was horrible…Loads of hatred especially that day as it was Ince’s first time back and he had been photographed in a United jersey before the move was offcial.

We didn’t recover from that and lost a week later at Wembley to Everton…

Whilst it was a tough week there was still a mood that we were really on to something special and the next season it all turned on its head..

A very dark week but with a silver lining.

Last edited:

Shark

@NotShark
The way the club is right now I’ve never felt more pessimistic about the clubs future, like I can’t see us being a top European team for the foreseeable future.

But Ferguson retiring and appointing David Moyes was incredibly underwhelming, you could tell everyone was questioning it and had people clutching at straws looking for positives of him being manager.
We will if/when we are sold.

Frank Grimes

Losing the league to Blackburn in 95. They were playing in Liverpool and we were at Upton Park…we were 2pts behind going in to the game with some momentum.

United fans could feel it but we just couldn’t score…Ince and Cole had planets of chances..

the only ticket I could get was in the West Ham end and that was horrible…Loads of hatred especially that day as it was Ince’s first time back and he had been photographed in a United jersey before the move was offcial.

We didn’t recover from that and lost a week later at Wembley to Everton…

Whilst it was a tough week there was still a mood that we were really on to something special and the next season it all turned on its head..

A very dark week but with a silver lining.
Pretty sure Ince equalised the previous season in a 2 -2 draw.

TheRedHearted

These threads are often made after a loss and are a knee-jerk reaction. I was just thinking back on a few bad decisions by the club.

For me, it was the appointment of Ralf Rangnick. I remember caf getting giddy and ready to jump on you as soon as you doubt that man's credentials. There wasn't even a new manager bounce with this lad.
Spurs thumped us, I remember asking for someone to slide tackle and break Sons legs, the staff informed me I was penalized and I think two more I was gone.
The worst part was that (just kidding, it was wrong that I brought that up about Son.

OverratedOpinion

The worst feeling I have experienced regarding anything associated with the club was when Sir Alex had his stroke (hearing he was out of the woods was up there with both Champions League wins).

More directly to do with football was probably the Champions League finals against Barcelona. Weird considering we would kill for either of those seasons right now but the way they strangled us was soul destroying.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
1979 FA cup final, we played shit, were 2-0 down, pulled it back to 2-2 and Alan fecking Synderland scored in the last minute to win it for Arsenal, made worse by the fact that his wheel away celebration was in the MOTD intro for years afterwards

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

Agüero vs QPR. I just knew, which somehow made it even worse. Genuinely cried that day. I took my ball, went to the ball pit not far from my house and repeatedly smashed the ball in rage, crying in pouring rain :lol:
Cries in the pouring rain over losing the league title to your local rivals, then proclaims the goalscorer to be one of their favourite ever players. Makes sense...
I'd probably have Agüero over him too, but then again he's one of my favorite players ever.

Tap

During Fergie’s reign:

The CL final in 2011 when we were totally outplayed and the camera zoomed in onto Fergie’s trembling fingers :(

Losing 1-6 to City at OT. Shocking to suffer such a heavy home defeat under Fergie. We could never overcome the goal difference that season

Going out on away goals in the CL semi final against Bayer Leverkusen in 01/02

The red cards against Bayern and Real Madrid when we were in control of the match

During Moyes:
When seemingly every team managed to get their first victory at OT in X years

80 crosses against Fulham at home

During LVG:
When the football was so dull that the OT crowd cheered when there was finally a shot on target

During Jose:
The home defeat to City in his second season was a massive downer that extinguished hopes of a proper title race

During Ole:
The 0-5 and 0-2 home defeats against Liverpool and City

The feeling that the manager was never really competent for the job and in control. just enough to get into top 4 but never enough to win trophies or make any sort of challenge

zaafi

Cries in the pouring rain over losing the league title to your local rivals, then proclaims the goalscorer to be one of their favourite ever players. Makes sense...
It makes perfect sense. I hate that moment, just like I hated the moment when Messi, Iniesta and Xavi toyed with us in the CL finals, but they're still some of my favourite players. Your obsession with how it's mandatory to hate every single City player that has ever played for them is so childish, it's almost funny. I love Haaland as well, being a Norwegian. You want to cry about that too? :lol: You need to grow up mate

Sir Erik ten Hag

As for the original question, I am living it right now. I am one of Peps biggest fans, it tears me apart that he manages City not us. I knew when they hired him he was going to be a game changer for the league.
Even if Pep came to us, he'd be annoyingly storming out of the door after just 1 week working with the Glazers and Woodward.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I genuinely can’t recall a singular darkest moment however for me it’s that period when you’ve lost all trust in and hope under a manager but he’s drudging along doing just about doing to keep his job while it being painful obvious that he’s not the answer. These periods under Jose and Ole were particularly bad.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Losing at Anfield to give the title to Leeds. How does it get worse?

Wing Attack Plan R

The lopsided defeats and surprise thrashings by clubs I’d never previously heard of were hard to bear, but for me the worst moment was right when Fergie left, Moyes was hired, and we brought in Fellaini as Moyes’ emotional support animal. Fellaini. At that moment I realized our era of dominance was over. It’s been a long slog since then.

msra5kg2

I’d stare at the wall with pins in my eyes to relieve the pain of those 0-0’s. Still, Fergie announcing retirement, although it was inevitable, felt it came too soon.

Van Gaal's boring 0-0 first halves.

It was so mechanical and dire that I used to take a walk for the first 20 minutes of the game only to come back with no surprise whatsoever that it was still 0-0 and the ball was passed boringly around in midfield to death.

KD6-3.7

We will if/when we are sold.
I really don’t think it’s going to be as simple as that. The clubs core is rotten, also who’s to say if we get owners from Saudi because they know there will be a section of supporters that are going to be negative towards them so who says they don’t just appease those fans by giving ex players important jobs within the club?

Basically everyone involved with transfers right now should be out of the door if we get new owners, but realistically it will take years to see any progress to the daily operations of the club especially in regards to signing and selling players.

Lightbringer

What was the year when we had the title in our hands and Drogba scored an offside goal to beat us at Old Trafford? And Rooney in the luxury box leaving the stadium crushed after berbatov missing a sitter to equalise at the end. That was a horrible feeling loosing out to those blue cnuts that way! Ruined my day, week, month, year and should I say my life? Sir Alex deserved that title.

Rampant Red Rodriguez

Scared of women, so hates them.
Moyes getting rid of the coaching team left by SAF to assist with the change over. It's just as ETH did with RR and the fans are suffering alll over again.

Anything to do with City I detest.

CloneMC16

Actually, I'll change my answer. I'd say 0-5 against Liverpool during 21/22. That entire season was a nightmare, but that match was painful to watch. 0-7 wasn't as bad, because I've gotten used to the thrashings at this point.

City winning the treble last season was particularly bad as well.

Last edited:

ifightdragons

Way too many to count. These stick out:

1. When Solskjaer got the permanent managerial appointment after the PSG game. A game in which we played horribly and got the luckiest penalty to snatch an undeserved win. Realized then and there that this would go down in flames for years to come.

2. Renewing De Gea in 2018, making him the best paid goalkeeper in the entire history of football. Single biggest idiotic decision we've ever made, just because it was so evident that it was no way it wouldn't backfire economically, and hold us back on the pitch for years to come. Even De Gea struggles now because of this, having rendered him a free agent, stuck in limbo. Had his salary been equal to his mediocre quality, he would have been snapped up by a mediocre club before his contract ran out, still playing football at a decent level like he should be doing. Not to mention how this decision also impacted Dean Henderson's career, ultimately leading us to selling him for 20 million pounds less than what he was actually worth. The silver lining is that it led us to signing Onana, which is a lucky break.

3. Then when the board didn't listen to Rangnick's suggestion of players to buy. The fact that we didn't see his potential as a DoF, just because he's not a good manager, all but confirmed that the board were clueless in recruiting people for the right positions.

Then they fortunately got lucky with Ten Hag... At least for now.

kirk buttercup

When Cantona left. Broke my heart, I loved him and tbh that team was the most I ever enjoyed watching United and Football in general. nothing has come close since sadly for me .

red.knight

6 February 1958 is the darkest day in United's history. We will never forget.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Nani's red, I just stopped caring about football as much after it.

kirk buttercup

6 February 1958 is the darkest day in United's history. We will never forget.
Agree. I wasn't alive to say that was my darkest day but I can only imagine how horrific that was. Hearing the news , losing so many so sad . How sad the first fixture after at OT must have been . Never forgotten.

YikesSchmeics

The 6-1 to City because it was such an unexpected result at the time.

The 7-0 and 0-5 were both brutal, but the difference was I had feared a hiding before those games.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Losing two CL finals to Barca in two years and never looking anywhere close to them, while being arguably the best team in England (getting to those finals was no fluke).

IRONTUSK

Think I would go Fergie retiring
For a single game I would go with the 2011 Champions League final...I was seriously upset after that.