What's your midfield three with everyone fit?

Lentwood

I would go with anybody but Pogba in a double-pivot with anybody but Pogba with anybody but Pogba in the AM position.

Alternatively, you could start anybody but Pogba in the holding role with anybody but Pogba in CM alongside anybody but Pogba

Or you could even copy Liverpool’s set-up and go for anybody but Pogba next to anybody but Pogba next to anybody but Pogba in a flat three.

Litch

Fred Matic
Bruno

Get back to what worked.
Spot on. There is not a fan in world football that would have thought that Liverpool 3 in midfield would amount to them being one of the best teams in the world. Goes to show, it's not about names, it's how the compliment each other and the system they play in. Round pegs in round holes.

Idxomer

All those McTominay mentions when he's been out of form and not performing well longer than any other midfielder.

Hammondo

I would go with anybody but Pogba in a double-pivot with anybody but Pogba with anybody but Pogba in the AM position.

Alternatively, you could start anybody but Pogba in the holding role with anybody but Pogba in CM alongside anybody but Pogba

Or you could even copy Liverpool’s set-up and go for anybody but Pogba next to anybody but Pogba next to anybody but Pogba in a flat three.
Hahahaha.

RashyForPM

Spot on. There is not a fan in world football that would have thought that Liverpool 3 in midfield would amount to them being one of the best teams in the world. Goes to show, it's not about names, it's how the compliment each other and the system they play in. Round pegs in round holes.
Precisely. One anchor man, one B2B runner with ball skills and one creative outlet. This is how most top teams today line up. See Liverpool, Bayern and PSG. Even Pep is adapting to it now. This is the template for a top, balanced midfield. For us, upgrade Matic to Ndidi and Fred to...someone better and we’re good to go. Sod Pogba, he’s lazy and doesn’t fit in anywhere, especially if it’s over Bruno.

Hammondo

Precisely. One anchor man, one B2B runner with ball skills and one creative outlet. This is how most top teams today line up. See Liverpool, Bayern and PSG. Even Pep is adapting to it now. This is the template for a top, balanced midfield. For us, upgrade Matic to Ndidi and Fred to...someone better and we’re good to go. Sod Pogba, he’s lazy and doesn’t fit in anywhere, especially if it’s over Bruno.
Well one of those midfielders need to be able to run the game as well. Not like our current midfield.

You can have a deep player running the game (Carrick, pirlo), central (xavi), or someone further forward (De bruyne).

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Matic - Pogba
Bruno​

Time to go back to our post-lockdown midfield. Approach the remaining games with some real swagger.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Matic
Donny Pogba
Rashford Bruno Martial​

we desperately need technical ability in there. Bruno is better used as a false 9 as he basically plays there anyway. He can often be a hindrance with how often he gives the ball away so I’d try this with Pogba as our main creator. I’m convinced it would work.

MUFC OK

Fred and matic both should have, but sadly will not have played their last games in a Utd shirt yesterday. This isn’t knee-jerk I’m basing it on what we’ve seen over the last 6 months.

laughtersassassin

Pogba Bruno and rotate between the other 3. All have their flaws.

Right now id go McT but he isn't really a DM.

We should avoid playing 2 out of Matic McTominay and Fred at all costs.

Idxomer

I'm gonna go against the knee-jerk.

For me, it's still Fred - Pogba - Bruno. Fred should be upgraded but we don't have another ball winner like him in the team.

Play him and let him do what he does best which is harassing the opposition in their own half, Ole's tactics aren't helping him.

redmanx

Right; Pogbas had his chances and its time he was told, not him telling us, that his time at United is over. Im fed up with all the excuss his fan club make for his under par performances; ok he had one of his best games v Milan and he supplied the pass for Greenwoods goal on Sunday, but he was invisible for the vast majority of the rest of his time on the pitch. Hes been back at United for nearly 6 years and we're still waiting to see the truly outstanding performances which other players of his calibre produce consistently; not in every match granted, but in a far better ratio than his. We should sell him this summer, whether he wants to stay or not, which he clearly doesnt, and invest the money in a top quality striker.

Skåre Willoch

Matic
Donny Pogba
Rashford Bruno Martial​

we desperately need technical ability in there. Bruno is better used as a false 9 as he basically plays there anyway. He can often be a hindrance with how often he gives the ball away so I’d try this with Pogba as our main creator. I’m convinced it would work.
For probably the first time ever, I actually agree with you on something. I would probably switch Martial for Greenwood, and play Rash from the left, but I like the concept.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Right; Pogbas had his chances and its time he was told, not him telling us, that his time at United is over. Im fed up with all the excuss his fan club make for his under par performances; ok he had one of his best games v Milan and he supplied the pass for Greenwoods goal on Sunday, but he was invisible for the vast majority of the rest of his time on the pitch. Hes been back at United for nearly 6 years and we're still waiting to see the truly outstanding performances which other players of his calibre produce consistently; not in every match granted, but in a far better ratio than his. We should sell him this summer, whether he wants to stay or not, which he clearly doesnt, and invest the money in a top quality striker.
:lol:

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
Matic
Donny Pogba
Rashford Bruno Martial​

Do you not think Matic would just get completely overrun in that scenario?

Remember the geese

The only one that really works is Fred, McTominay, Bruno. Pogba should certainly be there in place of one of Fred or McTominay, but we don't have the required defensive midfielder that would be essential to make that work. Fred and McTominay both have their uses, but long term we need to find a natural defensive midfield player so we can afford to play a Pogba or Hannibal type in conjunction with Fernandes.

redmanx

Matic
Donny Pogba
Rashford Bruno Martial​

And when Pogba flops in this position, where next? In goal perhaps?

redmanx

The only one that really works is Fred, McTominay, Bruno. Pogba should certainly be there in place of one of Fred or McTominay, but we don't have the required defensive midfielder that would be essential to make that work. Fred and McTominay both have their uses, but long term we need to find a natural defensive midfield player so we can afford to play a Pogba or Hannibal type in conjunction with Fernandes.
Pogba is far more skillful than both McT and Fred, granted, but he'll never match their work ethic and, as Pogba has shown for the last 6 years, simply looking good and posing isnt enough, even the very best players have to do some running and harrying.

Zoo

Pogba and Fred should be the first choice midfield in the double pivot and what Ole needs to start with as much as possible for the rest of the season.

Remember the geese

Pogba is far more skillful than both McT and Fred, granted, but he'll never match their work ethic and, as Pogba has shown for the last 6 years, simply looking good and posing isnt enough, even the very best players have to do some running and harrying.
Which is why it is such a poor fit. Pogba is best suited to a formation we don't even play. As it is, we are forced to use two high energy work horses instead of someone more creative with a natural defensive midfielder. I really like Leicester's balance when everyone is fit. Ndidi, Tielemans and Maddison. We have Bruno to fill the Maddison role, Pogba to take up the Tielemans role, but lack an Ndidi. If Pogba's lack of work rate is detrimental to us, then use Hannibal.

EdinburghDevil

Pogba has been a big miss for the team. For me it's who plays with him and Bruno. Fred would have been my pick a few months ago, but has had a patchy run of form since the turn of the year.

Problem is, Ole doesn't have enough faith in the CB pairing so we are constantly picking 2 defensive minded players + Bruno.

Redlyn

Fred, Pogba, Bruno
Agreed.

Bruno,Fred,Pogba. Yes Fred's been very very poor. But let's be honest its only since Pogba was out that there's been this much uproar. During this period his creativity limitations were also brutally exposed. He has been average to good (bar psg) for a good 1 year prior. There was a time even Pogba couldnt get a spot in this team because Fred was doing a job at a decent level. Hopefully he gets his shit together for the run in.

Last edited:

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Agreed.

Bruno,Fred,Pogba. Yes Fred's been very very poor. But let's be honest its only since Pogba was out that there's been this much uproar. During this period his creativity limitations were also brutally exposed. He has been average to good (bar psg) for a good 1 year prior. There was a time even Pogba couldnt get a spot in this team because Fred was doing a job at a decent level. Hopefully he gets his shit together for the run in.
Agreed. He was having an excellent season until a few weeks ago. He’s played a lot. The rest should help.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Do you not think Matic would just get completely overrun in that scenario?
Perhaps, but the idea of him, Pogba & Donny is that we would control possession much more than we do now with Fred & McT, he can’t get overrun if we’ve got the ball. In the same way that Rodri doesn’t get overrun at City. He’s not Matic slow but he’s not exactly quick either. Upgrading at DM is a must for the summer. I’d have the centre backs stepping out to break up play too, but sadly none of that will happen because to play like that you need at least 1 mobile CB & Ole won’t break from Maguire/Lindelof. I’m convinced protecting them is the reason why he insists on playing 2 DMs every game.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
How anyone has Matic in there is beyond me. He is the worst midfielder we have

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Ideally next season Rice, Pogba and Bruno.
Rice plays in a pivot for West Ham. If we want to play Bruno & pogba together as 8s Ndidi would probably be a better fit. He’d probably be slightly cheaper as well.

How anyone has Matic in there is beyond me. He is the worst midfielder we have
He’s a better footballer than Fred & McT to be fair, he just moves like a tractor. None of them are good enough anyway. McTominay is an adequate backup centre midfielder, not defensive midfielder, centre box to box midfielder. He’s never a DM in a million years. We could sell the other 2 & I wouldn’t give a toss.

Inter Yer Nan

We need a proper DM to have a good midfield. That would include the DM and Bruno and Pogba.

With what we have we are forced to play McTominay and Fred and that kills a lot of our creativity and speed of counters.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
McTominay - Pogba
Bruno

We clearly need a better all rounder DM.

Valencia Shin Crosses

why do you want Rice and what is an acceptable price for him?
For me he’s seemingly one of the only consistent DM’s we’ve been linked with that’s a true 6 that’s comfortable distributing the ball and carrying from deep. He’s not a world beater but he’s a type of midfielder we haven’t had since Matic’s first season, and would solve the constant merry-go-round we have at the position currently

50m would be a solid price. I’m of the opinion that this is the single biggest upgrade the squad needs currently. Games we struggle in all stem from the lack of ability to control the game from the back, or agaisnt smaller sides that just give Fred acres of space and dare him to create a chance or offer a threat while hounding our more dangerous players.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
For me he’s seemingly one of the only consistent DM’s we’ve been linked with that’s a true 6 that’s comfortable distributing the ball and carrying from deep. He’s not a world beater but he’s a type of midfielder we haven’t had since Matic’s first season, and would solve the constant merry-go-round we have at the position currently

50m would be a solid price. I’m of the opinion that this is the single biggest upgrade the squad needs currently. Games we struggle in all stem from the lack of ability to control the game from the back, or agaisnt smaller sides that just give Fred acres of space and dare him to create a chance or offer a threat while hounding our more dangerous players.
Do you think Rice deals with that pass Fred failed to deal with on a regular basis? I haven't studied much of him from a technical point of view so its a genuine question

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
------------#8 Pogba------#6 McTominay-------------
------------------------#10 Bruno-----------------------------

Problem is McT isn't a proper #6. He doesn't have the discipline for it to sit in front of the back 2. He is more box to box. This would still be my preferred midfield. If/when Pogba leaves in the summer then swap in VdB for his position and we should get a DM in the summer...

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
Perhaps, but the idea of him, Pogba & Donny is that we would control possession much more than we do now with Fred & McT, he can’t get overrun if we’ve got the ball. In the same way that Rodri doesn’t get overrun at City. He’s not Matic slow but he’s not exactly quick either. Upgrading at DM is a must for the summer. I’d have the centre backs stepping out to break up play too, but sadly none of that will happen because to play like that you need at least 1 mobile CB & Ole won’t break from Maguire/Lindelof. I’m convinced protecting them is the reason why he insists on playing 2 DMs every game.
That makes sense to be fair, you'd concede a lot less possession so just on a numbers game it would be an advantage. I still think that against say, the top 8 teams with the strongest midfields you might struggle. But as a relative outsider who watches a decent amount of Utd games I can't quite believe how many fans on this forum can't see the extent to which Fred and McTominay hold you back.

Rocknrolla69er

Mctominay #6
VDB #8
Bruno #10

Pogba left sided attack
Rashford right sided attack
Greenwood/Cavani striker