What's your midfield three with everyone fit?

kkengvib

On paper when they're at the top of their game:

Matic, Pogba, Bruno

Based on current form (or lack thereof):

McT/Fred, Bruno, VdB

Paul_Scholes18

Matic-Fred
Bruno

Right now I shall say. If Pogba can find form again I would include him.

bsCallout

DvB - Fred - Bruno

Passing. Energy. Grit. Creativity. Speed.

Edit - Can't believe anybody thinks Pogba should be there.

simplyared

That’s harsh. He has a lot more energy and effect when it comes to pressing and closing opponents down. He transitions the ball from back to front very well and is able to get around the pitch. These are all things he did very well last season.

He was an integral part of the team from the January run all the way to lockdown. It’s very easy just to give all the praise to Bruno for that run. But Fred was one of our best players last season. The same season a lot of people had written off Matic as finished. Fred certainly offers a lot more than McTominay and in some aspects Matic as well.

There was a long stretch of games where Fred pretty much made himself undroppable.
With all respect I beg to disagree. You're glorifying the player saying he "transitions" the ball. In actual fact he never holds the ball for more than 3 seconds. He passes the ball from a to b. That's it! He gets caught in possession; tries to make passes in desparation in dangerous positions either giving the ball away or putting a fellow player under pressure. Because of his light frame and being very short he's limited. Hence easily knocked off the ball and useless in the air. I can go on!

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
...................................................Fred
I'd like to see how Fernandes .........Van Der Beek starting a game works as a partnership.

luke511

With all respect I beg to disagree. You're glorifying the player saying he "transitions" the ball. In actual fact he never holds the ball for more than 3 seconds. He passes the ball from a to b. That's it! He gets caught in possession; tries to make passes in desparation in dangerous positions either giving the ball away or putting a fellow player under pressure. Because of his light frame and being very short he's limited. Hence easily knocked off the ball and useless in the air. I can go on!
You underestimate the importance of having a player with Fred's intensity in those central positions in front of the defense. It's one of the main reasons why we've been so poor defensively this season. We've had Pogba and Matic leaving pockets of space and giving the opposition time to do what they want. Fred has that Kante effect where he's constantly moving and nipping at the opposition's ankles, whereas Pogba's off the ball movement and positioning seems to be about 5 seconds behind everyone else ie useless.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
3-5-2 with Fred and Mc t sitting with Pogba and Bruno slightly behind Martial.
This really isnt a problem with the amount of games coming up
...........................Martial...................
...........................Bruno.........................
Telles.....Pogba...Mctomminy....Fred...???
...........Shaw?.....Maguire.....Lindeloff?

seriously something like that?

simplyared

You underestimate the importance of having a player with Fred's intensity in those central positions in front of the defense. It's one of the main reasons why we've been so poor defensively this season. We've had Pogba and Matic leaving pockets of space and giving the opposition time to do what they want. Fred has that Kante effect where he's constantly moving and nipping at the opposition's ankles, whereas Pogba's off the ball movement and positioning seems to be about 5 seconds behind everyone else ie useless.
If he was half the player Kante is (or was) I wouldn't have any issues with the player. If you value the player on a par with Kante then it's end of discussion!

cyberman

...........................Martial...................
...........................Bruno.........................
Telles.....Pogba...Mctomminy....Fred...???
...........Shaw?.....Maguire.....Lindeloff?

seriously something like that?
.... ........ Martial......
... Pogba............ .....Bruno....
.......... McT..........Fred

Cavani at the head of that works better. Hell swap Pogba and McT and replace Scott with VDB. Telles providing width is even better again.
Our front 3 wont allow this since we have so much quality up top but I think that midifield 4 solves a lot of problems for us.

ArjenIsM3

Thing is there's combinations we haven't really seen yet. Would like to see Fred, VDB and Bruno in a three myself.

luke511

If he was half the player Kante is (or was) I wouldn't have any issues with the player. If you value the player on a par with Kante then it's end of discussion!
I never said that Fred was as good as him as a player, I said that he's similar when it comes to off the ball movement and defending.

Chief123

I’m not saying Fred is the long term solution for Utd. But honestly, when you compare him to the other options of Matic or McTominay, he beats them to it. Matic is great on the ball but my goodness we suffer because of his lack of mobility and speed. McTominay isn’t really sure what he’s even meant to do on the pitch.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
.... ........ Martial......
... Pogba............ .....Bruno....
.......... McT..........Fred

Cavani at the head of that works better. Hell swap Pogba and McT and replace Scott with VDB. Telles providing width is even better again.
Our front 3 wont allow this since we have so much quality up top but I think that midifield 4 solves a lot of problems for us.
you said 3-5-2 though so who are the wig backs / centrebacks
because besides telles who would be well suited to a lwb role i dont think 352 suits any of the others
i think playing AWB as a right wing back would be a disaster - as would shaw as a LCB - genuinley dont see how we could play that with the defenders we have and whilst those 4 would provide a solid midfield we sacrifise one of greenwood or rashford and as I say we create a world of prolems behind them

cyberman

you said 3-5-2 though so who are the wig backs / centrebacks
because besides telles who would be well suited to a lwb role i dont think 352 suits any of the others
i think playing AWB as a right wing back would be a disaster - as would shaw as a LCB - genuinley dont see how we could play that with the defenders we have and whilst those 4 would provide a solid midfield we sacrifise one of greenwood or rashford and as I say we create a world of prolems behind them
Telles and AWB each side. Maguire in middle of 3 cbs who can cover behind for his pace and can carry ball into midfield. AWB gets forward time and time again to to byline in a back 4 anyway.
We are as suited to that as any other formation imo. They all have their flaws.

Shark

@NotShark
A lot seem to be throwing Fred back in but his short passing is so terrible for PL footballer. Surely you need some kind of range of passing to play a DM role for United. I guess he's depressingly our only hope though.

remo

DvB - Fred - Bruno

Passing. Energy. Grit. Creativity. Speed.

Edit - Can't believe anybody thinks Pogba should be there.
This.
I completely agree that Pogba shouldn't be mentioned and Matic is just too slow/old.

Andersons Dietician

...................................................Fred
I'd like to see how Fernandes .........Van Der Beek starting a game works as a partnership.
I’d quite like to see this as well. All 3 industrious, pass, move and have an intensity to their game. Something we just don’t get with Pogba and Matic in the team.

Probably only really be viable against certain teams

mu4c_20le

Bruno
VdB - Pogba
Putting in Fred over Pogba is like dropping Lindelof for Bailly and telling yourself he is the better player.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Can’t take much more of the low energy Pogba-Matic pairing. Even having one of them in there is a problem. On the other hand Fred and McT are looking unlikely to make the step up above average squad players, while VdB is an unknown entity. But he surely deserves a chance to show what he can do. So him and Bruno alongside either Matic or Fred I guess. Although it’s not something to get too enthusiastic over.

redmanx

Can’t take much more of the low energy Pogba-Matic pairing. Even having one of them in there is a problem. On the other hand Fred and McT are looking unlikely to make the step up above average squad players, while VdB is an unknown entity. But he surely deserves a chance to show what he can do. So him and Bruno alongside either Matic or Fred I guess. Although it’s not something to get too enthusiastic over.
We need to see what VdB can give us over a run of games but, assuming hes as good as we hope, Id like to see him, Bruno and McTominay in a mf 3

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
VDB likes to make late run, playing him next to Matic will be disaster. Pogba can be defensively poor means you need speed to cover the ground more. In other word Matic is out of the solution if you want to play him next to VDB or Pogba.

Fred is the best combo for Matic. But I don’t prefer Matic in my midfield as he’s not mobile, doesn’t press enough, doesn’t constantly chase his players and no playmaker either. So he offers nothing much imo but only composure. Probably only useful to bring on from the bench to close the game when we have the lead.

I’ll still fancy Fred pair with either VDB or Scott behind Bruno.

Red_Aaron

Matic is a starter but we need to pick and choose his games accordingly given his age

Big game
Matic - DVB
Bruno

Lesser oppo
McT - DVB
Bruno

Stretender

Bruno
VdB - Pogba
Putting in Fred over Pogba is like dropping Lindelof for Bailly and telling yourself he is the better player.
Mate Pogba is probably the most talented midfielder in the premier league. He is not comparable to Fred in that respect.

The reason people put Fred ahead of Pogba in their line ups is because Pogba is not fit for purpose in this team. Even if you put him in his best position, he doesn't have an impact on the game.

He might work in a Juventus team but it won't work for him here. He is the only player in the world who needs world class players around him , for him to show what he can do. We can't buy the best 11 players in the world unfortunately so Mr Pogba needs another challenge elsewhere.

Ander herrera the warrior

Personally prefer if we use a 442 diamond midfield and I would like us to try Maguire in a cdm role similar to how Makelele used to play as Matic is too slow and we don't have anyone else who can sit in front of our 2 cb and protect the defence.

...................Bruno/Vdb..............
Pogba/Bruno.....................Fred/Mctominay
...................Maguire..............

My first choice midfield would be this

...................Bruno..............
Pogba.........................Fred
...................Maguire..........

And second choice like this

...................Vdb..............
Bruno......................Fred
................Maguire.......

Last edited:

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
One of the main reason why our defense was 3rd best in the league last season because there are protection in front of them. Fred & Scott were so hard working midfielder who cover lot of grounds and follow opposition player's run which important because football is about movement and creating space, there will be times when our defense will be dragged out of position means midfield need to follow runners to help. IMO, against top opposition team, Fred & Scott are our best pair to compliment our current defense.

However, against outside top 6 teams, I probably prefer Fred & Donny pair. Donny will provide more in goals threat as he likes to arrive in the box late and much more creativity than Scott.

As for Pogba, well I don't like the idea to give him new improve wages for the sake of extend his contract for many years for obvious reason and it's time to move on which benefit both player & the club. Thus, I think we should adjust ourselves not to rely on him more in starting XI. I like him as impact sub to change the game though.

Scott/Donny - Fred
-------- Bruno --------

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Interesting how many people choose van de Beek in their midfield combo, a player who looks like a typical no10/attacking midfielder. Looks like another "lets play him out of nominal position and see what happens" move, Pogba-style.

Fred - McTominay as two box-to-box midfielders behind Bruno is the way to go. Matic to replace McTominay, Pogba will be our AM in second choice team when Bruno gets a rest and once Paul finds his feet. VdB can be tried in different roles but from what I've seen from him, he doesn't look like a midfielder, so I would be careful for now.

cptkeane1993

Fred VdB Fernandes, with Matic/McTominay rotating.
(Pogba out as he’s not fully committed to the cause.)

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Matic, Pogba, VDB, with Bruno further forward, on the right.

Bobade

Personally prefer if we use a 442 diamond midfield and I would like us to try Maguire in a cdm role similar to how Makelele used to play as Matic is too slow and we don't have anyone else who can sit in front of our 2 cb and protect the defence.

...................Bruno/Vdb..............
Pogba/Bruno.....................Fred/Mctominay
...................Maguire..............

My first choice midfield would be this

...................Bruno..............
Pogba.........................Fred
...................Maguire..........

And second choice like this

...................Vdb..............
Bruno......................Fred
................Maguire.......
I'm no Maguire hater, but watching him lumber around at CDM before trying to track the ball halfway up the pitch and releasing a simple pass whilst almost getting dispossessed would be awful. For CDM , he is too slow and spends too long on the ball. We moan about Matic pace in that position...

paraguayo

Supports
neutral
United ended the season with Fred Pog Bruno midfield dominating in europa, played sevilla much better than bayern did, and then Ole never tried the midfield again?

Highfather_24

One of the main reason why our defense was 3rd best in the league last season because there are protection in front of them. Fred & Scott were so hard working midfielder who cover lot of grounds and follow opposition player's run which important because football is about movement and creating space, there will be times when our defense will be dragged out of position means midfield need to follow runners to help. IMO, against top opposition team, Fred & Scott are our best pair to compliment our current defense.

However, against outside top 6 teams, I probably prefer Fred & Donny pair. Donny will provide more in goals threat as he likes to arrive in the box late and much more creativity than Scott.

As for Pogba, well I don't like the idea to give him new improve wages for the sake of extend his contract for many years for obvious reason and it's time to move on which benefit both player & the club. Thus, I think we should adjust ourselves not to rely on him more in starting XI. I like him as impact sub to change the game though.

Scott/Donny - Fred
-------- Bruno --------
Agreed. Play Pogba as a #10 who will alternate with Bruno. This playing Pogba in a two man midfield is not working. I might try playing him again with Fred, if he regains his form.

But yeah, play McT in the big games. And VdB against weaker teams. Bring Matic on as a sub to protect lead etc.

Kinda like how Fergie used Fletcher/Park as a big game player, we can use McT like that.