What's your midfield trio next season?

Walters_19_MuFc

Zakaria--Fred--Bruno with Grealish and MCT as backup options.
Be nice to have a player like Grealish on our bench. You look at City and they have Mahrez, Jesus and co. to bring on, but do you think we will spend 50 plus million on a squad player? Maybe we have to!

jamesjimmybyrondean

Fred, Pogba, Bruno with 3 CBs to make up for lack of defensive ability from midfield. Still plenty of creativity and doesnt sacrifice width like a diamond would. Diamond can be exposed like in the second half v Everton. Lindelöf and Maguire stepping up in midfield wiith Smalling as a sweeper.

-------------DDG
Lindelöf-Smalling-Maguire
Awb-Fred-Pogba-Shaw
------------Bruno
-------Martial-Rashford
Don't know if this would work but it's a new take compared to what others have said. I think you might upset people for forsaking Sancho

Walters_19_MuFc

Don't know if this would work but it's a new take compared to what others have said. I think you might upset people for forsaking Sancho
Three at the back is certianly somethimg Ole could revert to at times like we've seen at times this season, but its clear he's a 4231/4411 manager. That's what he grew up with. He wants to stick to the 'United way', which is having flying wingers on each side. The thought of having Sancho and Rashford on those wings is very exciting.

Red4Life_#7

--- Pogba-- Fred

--------- Bruno

We need to keep Fred on the left, he has played well there and he's on his natural left foot. Pogba played very well for France in the World Cup on the right, it allow him to burst forward with pace on his natural right foot. We also makes him less predictable as he will not be cutting back most of the time. Plus he will have AWB covering him on that flank, when he doesn't run back in time.

gajender

You've avoided my question. You said teams were cutting through us, when that is all made up nonsense to continue with this made up narrative that Pogba cant defend. Is he better than McTominay, Fred or Matic at defending in the deeper area? No, but thats where the midfield balance comes from. Just like Keane was better than Scholes or Matic better than Fabregas at Chelsea, for example.

Fact is, Pogba's role in our midfield is to be the creator of the two midfielders, and before his injury that is what he was doing.

Despite conceding quite a few chances against Chelsea, we won 4-0, where, in my opinion, Pogba had a great game. We then went on Wolves, Palace, Southampton, Rochdale, Arsenal, respectively, all of which Pogba played in, and despite the results not being what we'd have wanted, our problem, which has been our problem for quite a now, was the lack of ability to break teams down.

Instead of having Lingard and Pereira play as a 10, we now have Bruno, who has been a revelation so far. Despite us not being the finished article, we have seen the effects of having a top class playmaker as a 10. Where Pogba comes in is creating play from deep and feeding what could potentially be a front four of Martial, Rashford, Sancho and Bruno.

Whilst Fred, McTominay and Matic have been excellent in the deeper role this season, none of them have the passing ability of Pogba.

Now before anyone starts with the fanboy nonsense, I want to say I'd be happy with whatever decision the club makes in regards to selling or keeping Pogba. Like you, I'm a United fan and ultimately want what's best for the club. However, there's lies often made up about Pogba because the media paint him as this massive ego that has control of the club. Maybe he is that player. If he is, Ole will have to make a choice as to what to do with him, but we need to stick to facts.
Mate facts are irrelevant when it comes to discussing Pogba.

Web of Bissaka

--- Pogba-- Fred

--------- Bruno

We need to keep Fred on the left, he has played well there and he's on his natural left foot. Pogba played very well for France in the World Cup on the right, it allow him to burst forward with pace on his natural right foot. We also makes him less predictable as he will not be cutting back most of the time. Plus he will have AWB covering him on that flank, when he doesn't run back in time.
Agreed. Partner Pogba with AWB on the right-er side of our lineup. Balance.

Pogba provides more attacking to AWB who in turn provides the defensive security needed.

Maldo

Three at the back is certianly somethimg Ole could revert to at times like we've seen at times this season, but its clear he's a 4231/4411 manager. That's what he grew up with. He wants to stick to the 'United way', which is having flying wingers on each side. The thought of having Sancho and Rashford on those wings is very exciting.
Yeah I agree. Most games it should be fine playing 4231 with both of them and then 352 in the big games. Dont think we would get away with playing 4231 with Sancho, Pogba, Rashford, Martial and Bruno in the side against teams like Liverpool or City.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
This defensive security excuses is bit non-sense to me. We are likely to dominate or keep the possession against outside top team. More creativity the better it is against the low block rather than playing safe by having a balance XI. While against the top sides we have seen how Ole being flexible with his tactic & formation as he switched it to 5 at the back.

Fred-Pogba pivot with Bruno in advanced role should still be fine.

Craig Ward

Yaaaaay somebody who understood my points.
Can i ask you was it hard to understand what i was pointing out and getting at?

Totally agree with the Phillips suggestion too, brilliant young player with bite and brilliant distribution
Not difficult to understand at all.

I think the issue is our fans are blinded by Fifa/FM/Social media and believe Pogba to be world class without any footballing evidence to back that up whatsoever.

Pogba's a divided figure, but the over hype for him is just that, hype.

On form and application, Pogba does not start for us until he earns the right to do so

OleGunnar20

This defensive security excuses is bit non-sense to me. We are likely to dominate or keep the possession against outside top team. More creativity the better it is against the low block rather than playing safe by having a balance XI. While against the top sides we have seen how Ole being flexible with his tactic & formation as he switched it to 5 at the back.

Fred-Pogba pivot with Bruno in advanced role should still be fine.
Agreed. Bruno's a hard worker in the middle, Shaw / AWB are very defensively minded.

With a better, more pro-active CB than Lindelof in there (Maybe Bailly if he can stay fit / seek counselling) that team is as good as anyone in their day.

Walters_19_MuFc

Not difficult to understand at all.

I think the issue is our fans are blinded by Fifa/FM/Social media and believe Pogba to be world class without any footballing evidence to back that up whatsoever.

Pogba's a divided figure, but the over hype for him is just that, hype.

On form and application, Pogba does not start for us until he earns the right to do so
I love people who get involved in conversations without reading the whole thing.

The fans who are "blinded by Fifa/FM/Social media and believe Pogba to be world class" merely pointed out that Pogba was used in the deeper role this season. Regardless of whether people think he should go back into the team or not is irrelevant, as ultimately Ole will have the final decision.

Hopefully that's not too difficult to understand.

Craig Ward

I love people who get involved in conversations without reading the whole thing.

The fans who are "blinded by Fifa/FM/Social media and believe Pogba to be world class" merely pointed out that Pogba was used in the deeper role this season. Regardless of whether people think he should go back into the team or not is irrelevant, as ultimately Ole will have the final decision.

Hopefully that's not too difficult to understand.
Wow.

Did someone spit in your cornflakes?

Its plain obvious Ole will have final say, it's for us fans to debate and have opinions. If everything was as simple as "Ole is manager and Woodward is chairman etc" then there would be no need for this forum to even exist, fans are allowed opinions, thats one of the best things about being a football fan.

I stand by what i said - fans are extremely divided on Pogba and the bulk hype him without warrant. He has been used deep, he's also been used as a CM and further forward. He plays where he has to based on injuries etc. He's nowhere near as competent playing as a DM as what we have there. He's 4th choice for DM.

Walters_19_MuFc

Wow.

Its plain obvious Ole will have final say, it's for us fans to debate and have opinions. If everything was as simple as "Ole is manager and Woodward is chairman etc" then there would be no need for this forum to even exist, fans are allowed opinions, thats one of the best things about being a football fan.

I stand by what i said - fans are extremely divided on Pogba and the bulk hype him without warrant. He has been used deep, he's also been used as a CM and further forward. He plays where he has to based on injuries etc. He's nowhere near as competent playing as a DM as what we have there. He's 4th choice for DM.

I agree that we should have a debate. I value everyone's opinion. However, you've come into the thread like billy big bollocks saying fans are "blinded by Fifa/FM/Social media and believe Pogba to be world class" in response to something that has nothing to do with what the initial point was, which was where Pogba played at the start of the season.

You thinking he's 4th DM choice is fine. As I said before, ultimately, Ole will get the final say.

gajender

I agree that we should have a debate. I value everyone's opinion. However, you've come into the thread like billy big bollocks saying fans are "blinded by Fifa/FM/Social media and believe Pogba to be world class" in response to something that has nothing to do with what the initial point was, which was where Pogba played at the start of the season.

You thinking he's 4th DM choice is fine. As I said before, ultimately, Ole will get the final say.
I have absolutely no doubt if Pogba stays he would be utilised in a deeper role and would be mainstay there, Pogba at United never had the luxury of playing with competent no 10 I am quite looking forward to it add somebody creative at right wing we should be in for some exciting times ahead.

Walters_19_MuFc

I have absolutely no doubt if Pogba stays he would be utilised in a deeper role and would be mainstay there, Pogba at United never had the luxury of playing with competent no 10 I am quite looking forward to it add somebody creative at right wing we should be in for some exciting times ahead.
100% this.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Wow.

If fans are allowed to have their opinions, why did you quoted "our fans are blinded by Fifa/FM/Social media"? Being different opinion to yours doesn't mean fans are blinded by such a things. Those fans that you specifically called blinded by Fifa/FM/Social are actually talking about fact of what happened.

jamesjimmybyrondean

....Bruno...

Fred....Pogba

I like the idea of Pogba playing on the right of the pivot(like in France) where a very defensively solid AWB is close by. I think if we replace Lindelof with a better defender and play Pogba on the right pivot we would be solid defensively

Mcking

The main focus of the discussion & the thread itself is about midfield trio not all midfielders in our squad.

In fact, to prove it that I didn't ignore anything you said there is that I even mentioned "But you want us to sign a holding midfielder from championship and giving him an important role right away, and ignoring that the best way to get the best out of whatever we have in midfield right now." That's basically my message to tell you that I disagree with you because we have player who can do the job like McTominay & Fred are very suitable for this pivot role, while Matic has been playing in this role since his day at Chelsea.

France is just part of an example of what I mentioned including how Mourinho & Ole had been using Pogba to tell you that we got 3 different managers now used him in that pivot role, and beside he's been playing in that role for many years in France not just 6 games or the World Cup alone. And speaking about 6 games, I also find it unbelievably unfair to judge McTominay & Pogba pair based on small amount of games. If everything are judged based on start of the season, almost our players are not good enough then which including Rashford who had terrible start of the season. Players & our partnership are improving every game as the season goes.

And as for the main point of the discussion,

If this defensive bulk issue from Fred is your main reason why Pogba won't work in this pivot role then let me tell you few things. Fred is pretty much Herrera with a better passing ability. They both are capable to do defensive bulk & both are hard worker players who like to cover lot of ground. I am in shocked how Fred's defensive work is being underappreciated here. Ironically, couple months ago there was a thread of comparison Fred vs Kante. While few years ago there was a thread of Kante vs Herrera which tells you that I wasn't the only one who thinks both Fred & Herrera are capable to do defensive bulk.

Pogba been hitting injury all season, but when they both were available this season, Ole played Fred & Pogba in pivot against Newcastle with no 10 of Pereira. Bruno is basically just an upgrade of Pereira. He's clearly flexible as he can always switch his formation against the top team and he's a lot smarter than you in picking a midfielder as he has a coaching license and he's not the only qualified managers who had played Pogba in double pivot.
I don't want to get too sucked up with France because they are an international team, and the roles of Matuidi and Kante in the team has not been mentioned, but I don't see how a Pogba-Fred partnership is ever going to work. Fred could be classified as a defensive midfielder, but he's always been at his best next to another defensive midfielder. He puts himself about, wins a lot of tackles and loose balls, but he is not very strong in duels, not very disciplined in defense, tends to charge in, and is very easy to dribble past - he is no Herrera or Kante, he needs defensive cover. Pogba could probably do it, but you'd be restricting one of the best playmakers in Europe to a role of covering for Fred. It would be like England's Scholes-Gerrard-Lampard combo, packing in central midfielders for the sake of it and ignoring balance. Fred needs a more defensive midfielder next to him, and so does Pogba.
I think Bruno and Pogba are good enough that Fred can be sacrificed for solidity in the middle of the park, just like England should have sacrificed one of their trio. We should bring in a holding midfielder who is capable of holding next to any other midfielders. I don't think Matic and McTominay should even be in the conversation.

diarm

In my Football Manager save - Tonali, Pogba and Bruno are untouchable. We all know that FM is real so I'm going to vote for that trio.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
This is a good point. Maybe without the need to get forward quite so much he'd have no problem being disciplined. He's been trying to do it all for the last 3 years since we depend on him to run the entire show.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
If Pogba wants to stay then he'll obviously be a major influence in our central base alongside Bruno and likely another major new recruit.

Our we then presuming Fred and McTomminay to be rotation players ?

davidmichael

Bring in a pure defensive midfielder if Pogba stays/signs a new contract and we’re sorted in midfield going forward.

Pogba, Fernandes, McTominay, Fred, Matic, Garner and a quality new pure defensive midfielder coming in is a wealth of talent and very balanced across the board so tactically very flexible.

FrankWhite

Not Frank White
Pogba, Fred and Bruno on the top of their game would be excellent.

That’s actually Man Utd.
Exactly. I don't get why everyone is so keen to get more cm and dms. Unless we are buying a young prospect or we have to replace someone we've lost, we should focus on other areas

Mcking

Exactly. I don't get why everyone is so keen to get more cm and dms. Unless we are buying a young prospect or we have to replace someone we've lost, we should focus on other areas
Because we don't have a DM. Matic is probably the only one, but he's not reliable.

FrankWhite

Not Frank White
Because we don't have a DM. Matic is probably the only one, but he's not reliable.
Matic's role will be limited like it has been this season. Fred, pogba and bruno will be our starters with Scott M, Andreas P and matic as back ups. That's six midfielders. Lingard and Mata can also play as backup for the most advanced midfield role. That's plenty of options. No other team in the league can boast that level of depth in the middle. We should focus on the other areas where we are lacking. Like right wing/foward. Left wing back up can also be upgraded as can right Centre back

Danillaco

If Pogba stays, would be amazing if we got a pure DM like Ndidi. Pogba did great at the WC beside Kanté, I could see that kind of duo here, and Bruno ahead to supply the front 3 of presumably Rashford, Martial and Sancho.

Sancho
Ndidi

That would be a already a perfect window.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Matic's role will be limited like it has been this season. Fred, pogba and bruno will be our starters with Scott M, Andreas P and matic as back ups. That's six midfielders. Lingard and Mata can also play as backup for the most advanced midfield role. That's plenty of options. No other team in the league can boast that level of depth in the middle. We should focus on the other areas where we are lacking. Like right wing/foward. Left wing back up can also be upgraded as can right Centre back
Quality over quantity. If we keep Pogba and get Grealsh I'd say Bruno, Pogba, Fred, Mctominay, Grealish, Matic and Mata is both quality and quantity. Also Chelsea has that level of depth

Last edited:

FrankWhite

Not Frank White
Quality over quantity. If we keep Pogba and get Grealsh I'd say Bruno, Pogba, Fred, Mctominay, Grealish, Matic and Mata is both quality and quantity. Also Chelsea has that level of depth
Ok that's a slightly different angle to those clamouring for a defense midfielder. Do you think grealish would come here and happily sit on the bench? I would happily swap Andreas p and or mata for grealish if those were the choices

SSSSnake

At the moment it’s Bruno-Fred-Mcsauce for me. Pogba doesn’t walk straight back in the team. But being realistic and when the time comes he will take Mcsauce’s place but just hope we are balanced with Pogba and Bruno both playing.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I don't want to get too sucked up with France because they are an international team, and the roles of Matuidi and Kante in the team has not been mentioned, but I don't see how a Pogba-Fred partnership is ever going to work. Fred could be classified as a defensive midfielder, but he's always been at his best next to another defensive midfielder. He puts himself about, wins a lot of tackles and loose balls, but he is not very strong in duels, not very disciplined in defense, tends to charge in, and is very easy to dribble past - he is no Herrera or Kante, he needs defensive cover. Pogba could probably do it, but you'd be restricting one of the best playmakers in Europe to a role of covering for Fred. It would be like England's Scholes-Gerrard-Lampard combo, packing in central midfielders for the sake of it and ignoring balance. Fred needs a more defensive midfielder next to him, and so does Pogba.
I think Bruno and Pogba are good enough that Fred can be sacrificed for solidity in the middle of the park, just like England should have sacrificed one of their trio. We should bring in a holding midfielder who is capable of holding next to any other midfielders. I don't think Matic and McTominay should even be in the conversation.
The France National team is pretty much just reference to tell you that we have more than 2 managers who played him in there. I don't need to remind you this like 10x right?

You are the only person who thinks Fred is no Herrera or Kante when there were thread of the comparison between these three players.

:lol: Scholes-Gerrard-Lampard? You love random comparison that has no similarity aye. You are the only person who don't see Fred to be similar as Herrera but you see similarity of Fred in Gerrard.

Your comparison is off the chart which clearly show that you are still in lacking of understanding how Fred plays. I think Pogba-Fred duo in pivot role is good enough. In fact is that we are going to play against lesser team or low block more often which means having more creativity in the XI is more important. You also need to realise that Ole tends to change his formation to 5 defenders against top opposition team which also should cover your worry about the balance. Signing holding midfielder is just a preparation for Matic's replacement, it doesn't mean it's a priority signing since we have other priority that we need to sort out.

Mcking

The France National team is pretty much just reference to tell you that we have more than 2 managers who played him in there. I don't need to remind you this like 10x right?

You are the only person who thinks Fred is no Herrera or Kante when there were thread of the comparison between these three players.

:lol: Scholes-Gerrard-Lampard? You love random comparison that has no similarity aye. You are the only person who don't see Fred to be similar as Herrera but you see similarity of Fred in Gerrard.

Your comparison is off the chart which clearly show that you are still in lacking of understanding how Fred plays. I think Pogba-Fred duo in pivot role is good enough. In fact is that we are going to play against lesser team or low block more often which means having more creativity in the XI is more important. You also need to realise that Ole tends to change his formation to 5 defenders against top opposition team which also should cover your worry about the balance. Signing holding midfielder is just a preparation for Matic's replacement, it doesn't mean it's a priority signing since we have other priority that we need to sort out.
Fred is no Herrera or Kante apart from having a great engine like them. They are more defensively astute midfielders than him, more disciplined and stronger in the tackle.
I never compared Fred to Gerrard, just made a reference to England's use of Gerrard and Lampard, while ignoring the need for balance. There are not many teams in the world that doesn't play with at least one defensively astute midfielder. Every team also have easier games, but they still recognize the need for a defensive midfielder. I'd expect Bruno, Pogba and the front three to provide enough creavitity that Fred won't be needed at the base of midfield. A better defensive midfielder is needed to allow the attackers to do their job. How does it benefit the team when Bruno and Pogba are constantly defending and the defenders are repeatedly under pressure because Fred is regularly beaten?
I think a new DM will define next season. Otherwise, it would just be another season of chopping the team and trying out new formations in a bid to find a balanced one. If Ole has a XI capable of beating any team, he wouldn't have to change formations for big games anymore, and I think that is what any manager would want - stability. I don't see how he is going to get that with Fred at the main DM.

Craig Ward

You've listed options, but none of them are particularly quality options.

Out of your list you can dismiss both Lingard and Mata as having any impact of note in our central midfield area. Periera can be considered lucky if he is used as a back up and there's always going to be debate over Pogba's future. Matic is good for rotation for another season, so we only really have Fred, McTom, Bruno and maybe Pogba as quality options across our entire central midfield. Thats not enough.

Even if Pogba stays, we need to sign in Midfield. If we continue relying on Periera deep and overplay Matic and have injuries, we will never make that push forward. We simply have to recruit quality throughout the squad. 2 midfielders are required, a natural DM and also a more creative player. We would then have 6 (or 5 if Pogba leaves) quality players for 3 positions. Thats what we need

I agree, wide right is an issue and we can certainly address that as well. Central midfield is so important, we cannot progress unless this area of the pitch is upgraded significantly

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Fred is no Herrera or Kante apart from having a great engine like them. They are more defensively astute midfielders than him, more disciplined and stronger in the tackle.
I never compared Fred to Gerrard, just made a reference to England's use of Gerrard and Lampard, while ignoring the need for balance. There are not many teams in the world that doesn't play with at least one defensively astute midfielder. Every team also have easier games, but they still recognize the need for a defensive midfielder. I'd expect Bruno, Pogba and the front three to provide enough creavitity that Fred won't be needed at the base of midfield. A better defensive midfielder is needed to allow the attackers to do their job. How does it benefit the team when Bruno and Pogba are constantly defending and the defenders are repeatedly under pressure because Fred is regularly beaten?
I think a new DM will define next season. Otherwise, it would just be another season of chopping the team and trying out new formations in a bid to find a balanced one. If Ole has a XI capable of beating any team, he wouldn't have to change formations for big games anymore, and I think that is what any manager would want - stability. I don't see how he is going to get that with Fred at the main DM.
Your comparison of Lamp-Steve-Scholes is off the chart. The three of them are not even defensive midfield which is why no balance.

You even admitted it that Fred can be a defensive midfield. Him being capable to be defensive mid is the one that makes the difference between the comparison, the guy has asset to be one. He has the same average per game of tackles & interception as Kante this season. In the summary of their engine, their role & their average number of defensive work, all of these led to the comparison between two of them.

Your opinion is merely just an opinion what you want to see & what you don’t want to see without something to back it up. When you made an example of comparison you used something has no similarity.

Fred also can't play as holding midfield is a bit non sense. In fact, let me tell you that Pep wanted to sign him when he knew Fernandinho's leg is about to gone and he needed to find a replacement, and Fred was his target before Rodri.

Mcking

Your comparison of Lamp-Steve-Scholes is off the chart. The three of them are not even defensive midfield which is why no balance.

You even admitted it that Fred can be a defensive midfield. Him being capable to be defensive mid is the one that makes the difference between the comparison, the guy has asset to be one. He has the same average per game of tackles & interception as Kante this season. In the summary of their engine, their role & their average number of defensive work, all of these led to the comparison between two of them.

Your opinion is merely just an opinion what you want to see & what you don’t want to see without something to back it up. When you made an example of comparison you used something has no similarity.

Fred also can't play as holding midfield is a bit non sense. In fact, let me tell you that Pep wanted to sign him when he knew Fernandinho's leg is about to gone and he needed to find a replacement, and Fred was his target before Rodri.
You've been misrepresenting me for a while now. If you can't see while I made reference to England's use of their center midfielders, then I really can't help you.
Fred can be classified as a defensive midfielder, yes, Rashford can be classified as a striker too but it doesn't mean he doesn't have positions or roles where he is a lot better. Fred probably completes the same amount of tackles as Kante, I haven't checked, but I'm able to see that the latter is a lot more accomplished defensively and gets the better of his man more often than not, unlike Fred. Stats would probably show that too. It's what I've seen, and everything I've posted conciously has been my opinion. It's the same for you and for most posters in this forum. Pogba has also been compared to Viera, but it doesn't mean we should start using him that way.
About Guardiola, no one can tell. Maybe he wanted to pair Fred with Fernandinho, or maybe he figured out that Fred is no Fernandinho and let us have a go instead. I'm not privy to such info, but Fred usually played with another DM at Shahktar, that's as much as I know.
I will reiterate that I don't see how Fred is going to fit in a two with Pogba. I look at the player, not the ones he's been compared to. It's my opinion, has always been. Luckily we will have the resumption of this season till the end to check out every possible combo, and I'd trust the coaching team to make sure the chosen combo is not one that can be figured out quickly going into next season.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
You've been misrepresenting me for a while now. If you can't see while I made reference to England's use of their center midfielders, then I really can't help you.
Fred can be classified as a defensive midfielder, yes, Rashford can be classified as a striker too but it doesn't mean he doesn't have positions or roles where he is a lot better. Fred probably completes the same amount of tackles as Kante, I haven't checked, but I'm able to see that the latter is a lot more accomplished defensively and gets the better of his man more often than not, unlike Fred. Stats would probably show that too. It's what I've seen, and everything I've posted conciously has been my opinion. It's the same for you and for most posters in this forum. Pogba has also been compared to Viera, but it doesn't mean we should start using him that way.
About Guardiola, no one can tell. Maybe he wanted to pair Fred with Fernandinho, or maybe he figured out that Fred is no Fernandinho and let us have a go instead. I'm not privy to such info, but Fred usually played with another DM at Shahktar, that's as much as I know.
I will reiterate that I don't see how Fred is going to fit in a two with Pogba. I look at the player, not the ones he's been compared to. It's my opinion, has always been. Luckily we will have the resumption of this season till the end to check out every possible combo, and I'd trust the coaching team to make sure the chosen combo is not one that can be figured out quickly going into next season.
Fred can offer balance next to Pogba, while the England midfield has no balance. Fred is capable to do the job as I mentioned it to you before how similar Fred & Kante in the way how both payers have great engine/stamina as well as similarity in their average per game of tackles & interception. Misrepresenting is more like your excuse word just to defend your opinion.

Another non-sense comparison you just made. Just because Rashford is like that doesn't mean other player are in the same case. Roy Keane can be classified as box to box originally and converted into holding midfielder at United to get the best out of Scholes & the team, an example of midfielder who can play in both box to box & holding midfielder equally good. Same goes to Fred, how the manager been playing him in both holding midfielder & also box to box role.

Why can't you understand that Fred played with another DM at Shahktar because they have no other player that can do Pogba's job. Fred is their best passer in midfield, so they have to find away to balance whatever they got. At United Pogba is the better passer than Fred, this means United can utilise Fred's defensive assets & engine to play next to Pogba.

:lol: No one can tell? Pep is playing 433 with Fernandinho as holding, Silva & KDB for the other two. Come on, you really believe that Fred was targeted by Pep to replace David Silva's spot/role?

I'm sorry to say this but after you came out with ridiculous excuse of your reason regarding Pep wanted Fred, I come out into conclusion that I can't make this conversation longer. Anyone can see that Pep wanted to sign him to play that holding midfield role, if you can't see it then you can't see what Fred is capable of and I ain't waste my time any longer to tell you.

Last edited:

jesperjaap

Geuinely surprised people still wanting Pogba to stay. We dotn know what goes on inside the club, but from the outside at least I would be glad to see the back of him for a decent fee. Of course in the current predicament a decent fee may be a sticking point.

I think Fred has had a good season, been a bit overhyped in all honesty but he was certainly finishing the season strongly. I feel McTominay was doing well before his injury....again being homegrown and at the time in a team performing diabolically, think he has been a bit overhyped too personally.

The biggest surprise was the re-ermergence of Matic the last month or so, a lot of people are forgetting him it seems, he did look finished.

My conclusion really is nobody has truly staked a claim to be a guranteed started in our midfielder. I would be happy to sell Pogba to fund one or two purchases in central midfield as competition at least for our other three midfielders.

As for who, not really sure. I really like Grealish as a footballer, think his ability is outstanding and he shoul dbe in the England squad on ability and performances this season........but, he really does seem a bit on a knob head doesnt he and also importantly, where does he actually fit in to our side in a three man midfield on the left behind Fernandes? Looks great possession wise and going forward, they do both work hard, but defensively a bit concerning.

Although both not particularly big or experienced. The Italian pair Barella and Tonali, either of them would be ideal for me. Have a bit of everything, box to box, agrresive, intelligent, very good technically. Always been a big fan of Ascacibar as well, he had the unfortunate spitting incident and moved to Hertha Berlin, really think he should be playing for a bigger club. Not seen much French football but seem to be a few young stars ermerging in the middle for certain clubs. Then of course there is jude Bellingham and also some youngster at Villa as well, so plenty of young talent out there in the middle currently, I do feel its an area we need to invest in and if we are able to sell Pogba, its already funded

Rocknrolla69er

Could do with a Camavinga thread now that Bouhfasi has linked us to him, just had a look and no thread in the transfer section on him