When City win the Champions League how will it feel?

Paul_Scholes18

For me City to win CL is worse than Liverpool to win it. For the league it is the opposite.

ShinjiNinja26

It will feel like the exact same way as when they win the league. Nothing, absolutely nothing. Has that sense of inevitability about it, when an owner throws billions at it somethings bound to stick.

Paul_Scholes18

It's gonna be a bit crap if they win. For years, I hated/dreaded the thought of them winning the PL. Then they finally won it, but hey at least Liverpool are still crap. Then Liverpool won the CL. At least they haven't won the league. Then they won the league. This is the last nightmare scenario that hasn't yet happened.

The last eight seasons have been some sort of emotional payback for the previous couple of decades.
Totally with you, but we have finally accepted it to a degree. This season is true nightmare so far and last year too.

I can't understand how people are happy since Ole took over since we are making process when our biggest rivals win every big trophy. I want us to beat them and not be second best every bloody season.

Wayne's World

The talk of it being a "fairytale story" If City win it.

No mention of being backed by a country, awful human rights violence but that doesn't matter to the English media....:rolleyes:

Wouldn't insult myself watching the game tonight, they shouldn't even being involved in the final tonight since they were banned....also no mention of that so far either

Eriku

On North West Tonight (the BBC local news show in the North West of England) last night they had pieces talking to City fans in Altrincham, an interview with Summerbee and one from Phil Foden's old school, which is all fair enough in the build up to a massive game for them. There was also a piece on the journey they'd made from very fine team in the 60s and 70s (Tony Book, Bell-Lee-Summerbee, Malcolm Allison, Joe Mercer etc.) to fallow years in the 80s and what would these days be referred to as a plunge to 'banter club' status in the 90s and early 2000s, through to their miraculous rise back to the top in the 2010s and early 20s. The takeover was barely mentioned as far as I recall, rather their upturn in fortunes was down to 'hard work and toil'. The only time oil money was brought up was when the presenter interviewed Andy Buckley, City journo and author, who when asked about the 'Abu Dhabi billions' said 'many teams get money, we've invested it shrewdly so that's tickety boo' and even had time to credit the generosity of Sheik Mansour who's funding the flights of all the fans because he 'understands how tough it's been for them in the pandemic'. I wish somebody had passed me a fecking sickbag, the way they're passing this off as some sort of fairytale rise against all the odds :lol:
:lol:

Crashoutcassius

Who cares. It isn't a Manchester club is the way I see it, not even an English club.

The only reason I enjoyed them struggling in cl despite the billions spent was how stupid Kompany looked

Godfather

I'm completely indifferent about it. Still not sure whether I'll even watch the game. Couldn't think of many less exciting final fixtures than Chelsea - City.

hobbers

All the worse because we're so many million miles away from winning it.

BorisManUtd

Only time I was gutted when they won something was PL 2012 because it was race between them and United. Ever since I didn't care or actually wanted them to win it, like in 2014 and 2019. So the same goes for tonight + I quite like Pep so would be glad for him to some extent.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Won't feel as bad as Liverpool winning the PL last season. Already had to suffer the worst so this won't be too bad.

What makes all of this feel terrible is what has happened to our rivals since SAF retired. City winning 4 PL titles and a CL (hopefully not) and Liverpool winning a PL title and a CL.

That is what makes the dark days post SAF feel so bad, the above plus United not putting up any league challenge in that time just makes the last 8 years an absolute nightmare!

dove

The worst thing is not them winning the CL because it's been long time coming and we knew they are gonna win it sooner or later, but the fact that we are so shite. We are watching our rivals win trophies right left and centre while we are in our eternal stage of rebuilding (easy excuse why we are so shite).

King Eric 7

Well as of right now there's a very plausible scenario where they don't win it, so I will cross that bridge if and when I get to it. Not writing off Chelsea just yet.

LoneStar

Its not as bad as seeing Liverpool (or even Arsenal) winning it. Those clubs were/are our closest rivals since decades, and have history and prestige to back it up. Let put it this way, if Pool and City were in the final, I'd hope that City win.

Clubs like City and PSG are backed by nation states, so it was only a matter of time before they went deep and won it. But teams like Pool, Arsenal, even Spurs would hurt a lot more since you know we are at an equal footing or financially better than them.

RedFish

It's gonna be a bit crap if they win. For years, I hated/dreaded the thought of them winning the PL. Then they finally won it, but hey at least Liverpool are still crap. Then Liverpool won the CL. At least they haven't won the league. Then they won the league. This is the last nightmare scenario that hasn't yet happened.

The last eight seasons have been some sort of emotional payback for the previous couple of decades.
L0l. How long does the payback last for fuuuck!

Heinzesight

On North West Tonight (the BBC local news show in the North West of England) last night they had pieces talking to City fans in Altrincham, an interview with Summerbee and one from Phil Foden's old school, which is all fair enough in the build up to a massive game for them. There was also a piece on the journey they'd made from very fine team in the 60s and 70s (Tony Book, Bell-Lee-Summerbee, Malcolm Allison, Joe Mercer etc.) to fallow years in the 80s and what would these days be referred to as a plunge to 'banter club' status in the 90s and early 2000s, through to their miraculous rise back to the top in the 2010s and early 20s. The takeover was barely mentioned as far as I recall, rather their upturn in fortunes was down to 'hard work and toil'. The only time oil money was brought up was when the presenter interviewed Andy Buckley, City journo and author, who when asked about the 'Abu Dhabi billions' said 'many teams get money, we've invested it shrewdly so that's tickety boo' and even had time to credit the generosity of Sheik Mansour who's funding the flights of all the fans because he 'understands how tough it's been for them in the pandemic'. I wish somebody had passed me a fecking sickbag, the way they're passing this off as some sort of fairytale rise against all the odds :lol:
In the last few weeks I’ve lost count of the number of Berts (think Fernandinho was at it yesterday too) giving it the whole, “look how far we’ve come, we were in division one 20 years back and look at us now”. In 1993 I didn’t hear any United fan giving it “look how far we’ve come since we were relegated 19 years ago”.

They think they’re like a phoenix, rising from the ashes, rather than just admit they had it handed to them on a plate and really, they’ve underachieved.

The top Bloos used to claim United’s money and owners like Abramovich were ruining football until we all heard the collective sound of trousers dropping to the floor all the way from Stockport.

Supporter mates of bigger clubs like Forest, Ipswich and Villa couldn’t give two shits about tonight. It’s a bit of shoulder shrug for them. They were more giddy about last Wednesday night and prospect of us losing. Got their wish mind, the bastards!

Gazautd18

Couldn't really care to be honest.
I'll most probably watch it as I don't mind the players.
De Bruyne, Foden are quality and even Aguero doesn't piss me off after 2012.
The only thing that will bother me is that Oasis prat.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
In the last few weeks I’ve lost count of the number of Berts (think Fernandinho was at it yesterday too) giving it the whole, “look how far we’ve come, we were in division one 20 years back and look at us now”. In 1993 I didn’t hear any United fan giving it “look how far we’ve come since we were relegated 19 years ago”.

They think they’re like a phoenix, rising from the ashes, rather than just admit they had it handed to them on a plate and really, they’ve underachieved.

The top Bloos used to claim United’s money and owners like Abramovich were ruining football until we all heard the collective sound of trousers dropping to the floor all the way from Stockport.

Supporter mates of bigger clubs like Forest, Ipswich and Villa couldn’t give two shits about tonight. It’s a bit of shoulder shrug for them. They were more giddy about last Wednesday night and prospect of us losing. Got their wish mind, the bastards!

Honestly there are good people who happen to be City fans (seriously :wenger:) who've supported them for decades who endured some very tough, existential crisis-style times who on a human level I don't begrudge some happiness and success from football (actually many of the hardcore match-going Berties will tell you the Division 1 seasons and the year in Division 2 were the greatest they ever had on the road, but anyway). But what I will absolutely not do is applaud City as a club for their success given the way it's played out, and the brass bollocks of a relatively compliant media who enjoy the nice sandwiches and comfy chairs in the City press suite selling it as some laudable phoenix from the flames story just takes the biscuit.

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
It will feel like the exact same way as when they win the league. Nothing, absolutely nothing. Has that sense of inevitability about it, when an owner throws billions at it somethings bound to stick.
Ok so your rivals are winning everything in sight and you don’t care? Not buying it no matter how they are backed.

Heinzesight

Honestly there are good people who happen to be City fans (seriously :wenger:) who've supported them for decades who endured some very tough, existential crisis-style times who on a human level I don't begrudge some happiness and success from football (actually many of the hardcore match-going Berties will tell you the Division 1 seasons and the year in Division 2 were the greatest they ever had on the road, but anyway). But what I will absolutely not do is applaud City as a club for their success given the way it's played out, and the brass bollocks of a relatively compliant media who enjoy the nice sandwiches and comfy chairs in the City press suite selling it as some laudable phoenix from the flames story just takes the biscuit.
Absolutely. There is the odd decent Bert knocking about...usually over 70 years old.

RUCK4444

Like any other day. They may read this thread and think posters like myself say this sort of thing to brush off the pain of them winning things, but in reality it literally means nothing to me.

I don’t see them as a sporting rival with any authenticity. Most of their fans wouldn’t be city fans if it weren’t for them winning the lottery and the league a good few times since.

I just look at them and it doesn’t really stir emotion either way, it’s like they are some anomaly or social experiment that run alongside the authentic and respected side of the PL.

When they aren’t in the running for the league, which is rare I know, it feels more authentic.

For example if Spurs or Arsenal won the league I would be gutted, because it would have been done the hard way and would signal the rise of a proper authentic rival in the league.

Conversely to have a title race with them and win would also feel in some way less important to me than when we’ve done it against proper rivals. I remember when Fergie beat them to titles I was more glad that we were staving off the cheapening of what I consider the best league in the world. Alas the great man was too old and their pockets too deep.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
The good thing is that unlike Liverpool it’s very easy to ignore. We can go on about how we don’t care but the rest of the world cares much less.

But even if Chelsea win, there’s really no banter angle for us right now, so I’ll be ignoring that too.
It's this.
There was a sickening anxiety towards Liverpool in the final of this one, but no feeling at all to City,

When another oil club Chelsea are the only way to stop them, it'll be a soulless evening either way.

Guy Incognito

Meh. It is/was bound to happen. You don't spend billions and billions and not expect them to win the top honours.

At least this means Pep will f off sooner.

Von Mistelroum

This is how it feels to be City.
This is how it feels to be small.
This is how it feels when your titles mean nothing at all.

ShinjiNinja26

Ok so your rivals are winning everything in sight and you don’t care? Not buying it no matter how they are backed.
Ok ‘nothing’ may be a bit extreme but it certainly doesn’t bother me anywhere near as much as when your team Liverpool are winning things. Mainly because you’re are true main rivals and also a lot more relatable as a club compared to City winning the lottery, the whole thing feels very hollow and artificial to me.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
I have to say I'm really not bothered about this final.

I don't even remember feeling this indifferent to the spurs v Liverpool final. It really feels like the culmination of 2 sportswashing projects, the original sugar daddy v the grandmaster.

Chelsea's 2012 win had a lot more drama behind it and you could get behind Di Matteo as a rookie winning against the big boys of Europe at the time.

The media reaction will also be unequal, if Chelsea win they'll get a couple of articles but if City do it the media will rub themselves raw.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
After Liverpool winning the league, I'd say I will feel nothing.

If they can't win the UCL after plowing £2bn into their sports washing project, something is up. Not naive enough to think it was never going to happen.

pcaming

United are an embarrassment.
Bit disappointing, but nothing more. I benefit from not being from Manchester, so I guess the pain is significantly less for me. Whereas Chelsea winning would lead to an unbearable post season.

snk123

This is so true. :lol:

lsd

The Oracle

Thats the thing too many United fans bury their head over here We know City are a plastic club and this is all down to oil money but far too many fans of other clubs are treating City like they are Leicester and winning against all odds.

I have mates who support other clubs like Villa, Everton etc and all they do is talk about how wonderful it is to see a small team like City get to the top instead of us.

No one is buying it means nothing because of their money all they see is a Cinderella plucky underdog story.

Lets not kid ourselves other teams feel the same as us as they clearly dont and history will say that this City team and what they achieved is the greatest story ever while we will be the team that spent billions to win nothing

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Couldn't care less. Irrelevant plastic club.
This.

They’re desperate to be relevant but all their current success has an asterisk attached to it.

Might just be a comfort related thing to shield myself from them winning it but I just don’t feel bothered.

I can’t be bothered watching tonight anyway cause Chelsea are just as irrelevant thanks to Roman.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Thats the thing too many United fans bury their head over here We know City are a plastic club and this is all down to oil money but far too many fans of other clubs are treating City like they are Leicester and winning against all odds.

I have mates who support other clubs like Villa, Everton etc and all they do is talk about how wonderful it is to see a small team like City get to the top instead of us.

No one is buying it means nothing because of their money all they see is a Cinderella plucky underdog story
And that's fine as far as it goes, City were a new PL winner in 2012 and people haven't had that long yet to get tired of them hoovering trophies up although that'll change soon. But when the story of your journey to the top has to gloss over an oil state buying the club and transforming every single thing about it apart from the colour of your shirt to preserve the sense of fairytale and magic you know there's something a little bit odd going on.

lsd

The Oracle
And that's fine as far as it goes, City were a new PL winner in 2012 and people haven't had that long yet to get tired of them hoovering trophies up although that'll change soon. But when the story of your journey to the top has to gloss over an oil state buying the club and transforming every single thing about it apart from the colour of your shirt to preserve the sense of fairytale and magic you know there's something a little bit odd going on.

That story is never told though. You never read in the media that everything City do is down to the oil money. It's always Pep is the mastermind and how well run the club are and bringing in young players like Foden etc.

There is no comparison to how City are written about to how we are written about and that is where people will always get their perception.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
It means very little and had no real value because of how they have done it. It won’t really bother me at all. It’s been inevitable for years and they should have done it before now.