"When we can’t find him...we will develop one" -Ten Hag

flameinthesun

Based just on performances and style of play the closest player we have to de jong is Zidane. I would imagine he would be the youth prospect to develop in that role. Hannibal plays further up and garner doesnt have the same close control in tight spaces that iqbal has.

OrcaFat

Based just on performances and style of play the closest player we have to de jong is Zidane. I would imagine he would be the youth prospect to develop in that role. Hannibal plays further up and garner doesnt have the same close control in tight spaces that iqbal has.
Yes, that’s the future. In my tiny mind.

saivet

In the short term it's Fred. Maybe one of the youngsters can step up later on in the season but if there's no FDJ, expect Fred to player there.

crossy1686

career ending
Honestly couldn’t care if we sign De Jong or not anymore as long as we’ve got cover in the middle. If that’s a new transfer or a reserve player, great, as long as we get back in that top 4 next season.

In Rainbows

Zidane and Hannibal play the same positions for the youth teams. Zidane is naturally an attacking midfielder, while Hannibal is naturally a 6/8. We moved Hannibal to an attacking midfielder or winger, but we also played Zidane there. Both also play in midfield for the youth teams too.

Oldtraffordboy

Absolutely insane comments here suggesting players like Eriksen and Iqbal could be our holding midfielder this season.

Its between McTom, Martinez, Garner and Fred if we don't sign anyone - Fred being the least suitable of this group.

flameinthesun

Zidane and Hannibal play the same positions for the youth teams. Zidane is naturally an attacking midfielder, while Hannibal is naturally a 6/8. We moved Hannibal to an attacking midfielder or winger, but we also played Zidane there. Both also play in midfield for the youth teams too.
Hannibal for the last year, almost 2 years has been playing either as an attacking mid or on the left for the reserves. I can't remember the last time I saw him play at the base of a midfield. Zidane I havent paid too much attention to in the youth teams but based on his playing style, how he's performed in pre season compared to how hannibal plays I think he's a better comparison to de jong, hannibal for me seems to be more in the bruno mould.

flameinthesun

Absolutely insane comments here suggesting players like Eriksen and Iqbal could be our holding midfielder this season.

Its between McTom, Martinez, Garner and Fred.
Depends on what EtH wants out of a holding midfielder. Mctom and Martinez would be a completely different type of holding midfielder compared to a de jong. If EtH wants his holding midfielder to be a playmaker with a more mobile cm next to him then you could see eriksen playing there. The reality is based on our pre season games we will play a pivot role where at any one time one of the pivot will initiate play and progress the ball. Eriksen will likely take VdBs spot of being able to play in the pivot and also in the cam role. Iqbal has played all his games in the pivot role. So I'd say you are more likely to see eriksen and igbal playing in a "holding" role than not.

nau05194

How did the midfielders play today? Is there any more clarity regarding the subject of this thread? I haven't been able to watch the game yet.

fallengt

In the short term it's Fred. Maybe one of the youngsters can step up later on in the season but if there's no FDJ, expect Fred to player there.

Doesn't look good. Fred is not that type of player.
He often shit his pants under pressure.

wolvored

Neither McTom or Fred have the skillset to be holding midfielder

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
How did the midfielders play today? Is there any more clarity regarding the subject of this thread? I haven't been able to watch the game yet.
Fred was really good in first half, caught under pressure once in the 2nd half. Generally I think Fred will be the guy, but it's still Fred and he has his brain farts where he gets caught on the ball on occasion. Something to just accept, but on the whole he is good at it.

Giggsy’s left foot

Nothing I’ve seen makes me think anyone at the club right now can play DLP/CDM. Fred No, McTom no and the rest of the young lads are not ready. Erikson and Bruno will be further forward surely. If it is either Fred or McTom were in for a tough season again. Its been obvious for 2/3 years we’ve needed better in midfield.
Gotta say we also need a RB and another ST and possibly RW/LW as the upfront back up isn’t good enough either.

frostbite

I disagree with this. We should definitely buy one. I don't think the whole world does not have a single DMC available for reasonable money. Sure, we'd prefer a world class player for this role, but if we can't get a great player this year then we should at least get someone good enough to replace Matic. What happens if Fred and/or McTominay are injured? I don't think that anyone else is even remotely capable of playing there.

Beans

Supports
Neutral
Unpopular, but Scott McT could be forged into the role. He has his flaws no doubt but positional aspects could quickly be rectified. He's a natural athlete and a physical specimen too. Has plenty of silly fouls in him but he could become a defensive midfielder with good success
If forge means “to create a forgery” then yes.

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
Zidane is the only one with the right skills set.. The Hannibal looks alright but Zidane looks a better prospect for that role.

allen7

Don’t think fred will excel in the role, if he was any capable he should’ve shown it last season.

If the club is serious about the midfield problems they should sign 1 quality CM and push Mcfred to be 3rd or 4th choice.

Tony247

Academy players have long way to go. Garner is not at level to dominate very good teams. None of the other current midfielders have attributes to become holding midfielder, if they had they would have already.

Fred is a makeshift solution. I have zero confidence in him. We are talking about "holding" midfielder. Fred can hardly hold the ball for more than two seconds. Press and he is suddenly out of his depth. That's why he needs McT by his side to bail him out.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Would be a bit of a waste playing Hannibal there, he’s so good in and around the opposition box that you want him as close to it as possible in my opinion.

Mcking

Hope he wasn't talking about Fred or Telles hmm. We really need to get De Jong or a good holding midfielder otherwise we will have a very big problem fitting in Bruno and Eriksen in the same XI.

You need a midfielder who is a good defender, or one who is very secure on the ball in other to fit in two attacking midfielders that aren't very proficient defensively. Closest to either of those is Garner potentially. Fred, Bruno and Eriksen would be carnage of the wrong sorts with how easy it is to barge through Fred and Bruno.

Acole9

Outstanding
If we can't De Jong I'd rather just settle with what we've got for the role. Tielemens is a downgrade on De Jong and I'm just not that fussed about him.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Honestly couldn’t care if we sign De Jong or not anymore as long as we’ve got cover in the middle. If that’s a new transfer or a reserve player, great, as long as we get back in that top 4 next season.
Without a new midfielder, top 4 isn't going to happen.
We've lost Pogba and Matic and brought in Eriksen. And we were diabolical last season.
We finished the season as a team just above the relegation zone (based on last 6 EPL games).

8th place would be indicative of a coach learning the EPL and a full team which needs to be replaced (DDG and Ronaldo, excepted).
6th place would be a decent finish.
4th place - build a statue of ETH!

Regarding De Jong - he apparently does not want to join MUFC and if this is the case, I really do not want him here. We need to get rid of the culture of overpaying for players who are here purely for the over-inflated wages we pay.

Scholsey2004

If i understand the role properly then the candidate needs to be not only a top class short passer but also have outstanding control and dribbling to make them press resistant enough to safely carry te ball out of defence. IMO only Iqbal and Mejbri out of the current crop look like they potentially have the tools to develop into that role. Garner and Savage dont seem to have the dribbling aspect. Garner especially seems a more expansive passer. I'd be interested in seeing him developed for the right back slot similar to how Alexander-Arnold was at Liverpool as his delivery could be lethal from there.

Scholsey2004

Mejbri and Iqbal (both 19) could be the ideal age to eventually replace Fred and Eriksen (29 and 30 respectively). Whether it ever works that way in reality is another mattter.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.

Its going to be another season of McFred isn't it.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

I know we have to have faith in ETH but this seems like a decision that could backfire. We've seen Fred in deeper areas before and he's struggled. He's at his best playing the all action Kante type role chasing harrying and driving forward when possible. Holding midfielder role requires calmness, restraint and great reading of the game.

We should be pairing Fred with someone deeper. If we don't sign anyone it'll likely be Fred deep and Mctominay further which is just ewww.

mav_9me

Fred can do a job but I don't think that's a valid idea for a club of United ambition/ level let alone the fact that he'd be the only decent option.

If we don't sign another midfielder (counting Eriksen as one) there is no chance of us fighting for top 4, let alone finishing in top 4.

Not even SAF can make this midfield work.