When will Arsenal hire a new manager?

Peanut Butter

It's farcical now really.

Unless you class Top 4 as a trophy, this Arsenal side, and the ones before it in recent times, are pathetic.

It's almost accepted by some Gooners that they don't need to be challenging for the league or in Europe now.

When was the last time anyone thought that Arsenal had a chance of actually winning the league?

I know football is different now. Finances are hugely important as is the allure of CL football. But the big clubs, the very big clubs - they win the Champions League. They win league titles.

Arsenal are no closer to winning any major title now than they were when Wenger was harping on about his '10 year plan'.

He has no Plan B. He is a tactical dinosaur and a stubborn one at that.

So when do the board say enough is enough, let's get in Diego Simeone or Thomas Tuchel (just examples).

Djemba-Djemba

I hope not for a long time yet.

As long as Wenger is there Arsenal will never win the European Cup and they'll never win the League again.

robinamicrowave

Wanted to be bran, ended up being littlefinger
Supports
Man City
I think they were right to stick with him while they moved stadium because he did well to maintain the condition of a side who had a lot of money to pay back to various people once they moved. Fabregas, Nasri and Van Persie all left around that time as well.

But the fact is they should have gotten rid of him after winning that FA Cup in 2014. It came at the end of yet another season where they'd challenged for the league until about January but fallen away while getting knocked out of the Champions' League by a better side.

His time's way up now. Way, way up.

pcaming

United are an embarrassment.
Most of my Arsenal friends want him gone like yesterday. Personally think he won't resign for next season if they don't attain anything this season.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Never bludfam, otherwise there would be no more Arsenal TV.

Red Ryan

Starter of Rubbish Threads
He's on easy street getting paid a fortune with no pressure to win anything, why would he walk away from that?

Peanut Butter

He's on easy street getting paid a fortune with no pressure to win anything, why would he walk away from that?
That's my point. I don't think he will ever walk - when will the board pull the trigger?

Or is he bigger than the football club now?

Wiltord02

Supports
Arsenal
His time is up, but the club/board doesn't want to admit it.

His first ten years were magnificent. The 97/98, 01/02 and 03/04 sides were some of the best teams ever assembled in England.

The fans can forgive 2006-2010 because of the stadium and the promises made that it would be all worth it in the long run.

The 2010/11 season was when i lost faith. The 4-4 to Newcastle and defeat to Birmingham in the League Cup final in the space of a month was truly awful.

We have made the same mistakes every season since. Without the strong leadership of a Adams, Vieira or Henry, our teams do not approach games with a proper gameplan/mentality.

Reactions: Rooney in Paris

Minimalist

Wenger should have retired years ago when his stock was still high. I'm afraid when he does retire (could well be this season) it will be a massive shock because of how many seasons ago it really should have happened.

bleedred

That's my point. I don't think he will ever walk - when will the board pull the trigger?

Or is he bigger than the football club now?
Thats the problem for the Arsenal fans. The board is willing to accept that Top 4, CL money and season ticket sale is enough. Anything else is a bonus.

If Arsenal board was ambitious even a little bit, they would have said, if Leicester can win it, why the feck cant we in 12 years and sacked him right away.

Why fix something that aint broke. They will just go through the same cycle, with promises of a warchest in the summer, only to sign some bargain players.

PeteManic

It's not farcical. He is an economics graduate how has overseen the complete revamp of the club over the last 20+ years. He provides stability. Football fans want trophies but football owners want stability. As long as they're top 4 then they don't care. Look what happened when Fergie and Gill left. They'll be afraid of the same.

RooneyLegend

Since 07/08 they've gone backwards at a really rapid rate, now no one expects them to do anything substantial in the league.

Djemba-Djemba

Remember Pete's 10 year plan or whatever it was?

I wonder if even he's lost faith in Wenger now. Wherever he is.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Imagine Wenger is still in charge of Arsenal longer than Fergie was at United and he still hasn't won a 4th Premier League title or the Champions League.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
This should be his final season if the powers at Arsenal have any sense. Very limited manager in this day and age. Arsenal need an update to their management/Coaching pronto.

Oyibo

I think he's even hinted himself this is his last season, perhaps when being touted for the England Job.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Can seriously see them missing out on top 4 this season. Then Wenger's time will surely be up.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Imagine Wenger is still in charge of Arsenal longer than Fergie was at United and he still hasn't won a 4th Premier League title or the Champions League.
He's won plenty of 4th Premier League titles.

ThierryHenry

wishes he could watch Arsenal games with KM
He should move on when we've found an able, available replacement. A worry however is that Wenger will likely be in charge of his own succession plan, as Fergie was. I don't think that's the way to manage it, one man shouldn't be running the whole club.

Hopefully planning is already underway behind the scenes.

Peanut Butter

It's not farcical. He is an economics graduate how has overseen the complete revamp of the club over the last 20+ years. He provides stability. Football fans want trophies but football owners want stability. As long as they're top 4 then they don't care. Look what happened when Fergie and Gill left. They'll be afraid of the same.
It depends on how a football club views itself. Bayern Munich, Real Madrid and Barcelona don't accept qualifying for the CL as some kind of trophy. They aspire to win league and European silverware.

Even ourselves are spending huge money on the likes of Pogba and big managers like Mourinho in hope that we will challenge for league titles sooner rather than later.

What is Arsenal's plan? 4th every season and that's fine?

What about their fans who pay a scandalous amount of money following their team home and away?

Football is about trophies. Silverware. Winning stuff.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Who knows really? His contract runs out at the end of the season and he hasn't yet signed an extension. Can see him signing a 2-3 year deal before too long. He's perfect for the owners and shareholders as they can be very confident of top four, thus Champions League money. For fans, they'll want a manager capable of delivering success. How he can justify not looking like winning the Premier League in more than a decade is beyond me.

Last edited:

Shark

@NotShark
If you looked back at past threads over the past few years I'd bet you see countless like this one on here, with very similar posts.

Wenger will win them back again by stringing together a winning run against cannon fodder and all will be well again until this time next season.

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
I hope not for a long time yet.

As long as Wenger is there Arsenal will never win the European Cup and they'll never win the League again.
I think as soon as Wenger goes, Arse are in a bit of bother like we experienced. He is like fergie, getting extra 20% out of average players. They aren't blessed with a spectacular squad, and questions remain regarding the board and their willingness to spend.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Thats the problem for the Arsenal fans. The board is willing to accept that Top 4, CL money and season ticket sale is enough. Anything else is a bonus.

If Arsenal board was ambitious even a little bit, they would have said, if Leicester can win it, why the feck cant we in 12 years and sacked him right away.

Why fix something that aint broke. They will just go through the same cycle, with promises of a warchest in the summer, only to sign some bargain players.
This. From the owner's perspective, arsene wenger has been a huge success in the last 10 years. And the owner's perspective is the only one that matters

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I think as soon as Wenger goes, Arse are in a bit of bother like we experienced. He is like fergie, getting extra 20% out of average players. They aren't blessed with a spectacular squad, and questions remain regarding the board and their willingness to spend.
Bollocks. Wenger doesn't get extra 20% out of average players. Most of arsenal players have been playing up to their standards under him, some even below-par. Their team isn't average at all. It's also not an old squad full of past-it stars who need to be replaced ASAP. Any good manager could come in, sign a good LB, cover for CB, and either a star CM or CF and the team's good to enough to compete for the CL, nevermind the league. Arsenal have the money to go out and sign a player of Griezmann's caliber. Arsene isn't keeping that team competitive beyond their means, he's holding them back

It's a different situation then Fergie

Peanut Butter

Bollocks. Wenger doesn't get extra 20% out of average players. Most of arsenal players have been playing up to their standards under him, some even below-par. Their team isn't average at all. It's also not an old squad full of past-it stars who need to be replaced ASAP. Any good manager could come in, sign a good LB, cover for CB, and either a star CM or CF and the team's good to enough to compete for the CL, nevermind the league. Arsenal have the money to go out and sign a player of Griezmann's caliber. Arsene isn't keeping that team competitive beyond their means, he's holding them back

It's a different situation then Fergie
Good post, completely agree.

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
We still finish above you though ;). The problem is our board. They are just happy with the Champions League money.

Fergus' son

Gets very easily confused
Wenger is an absolute joke now, he's really ruined any type of good reputation he had from his early years.

Eboue

nasty little twerp with crazy bitter-man opinions
I'm typing this with my Glock 19 two feet from me
It depends on how a football club views itself. Bayern Munich, Real Madrid and Barcelona don't accept qualifying for the CL as some kind of trophy. They aspire to win league and European silverware.

Even ourselves are spending huge money on the likes of Pogba and big managers like Mourinho in hope that we will challenge for league titles sooner rather than later.

What is Arsenal's plan? 4th every season and that's fine?

What about their fans who pay a scandalous amount of money following their team home and away?

Football is about trophies. Silverware. Winning stuff.

Those clubs have a lot more money than Arsenal do. It's amazing you can't see this.

TheBiggest

100% this is Arsene's last year at Arsenal.

The 'insiders' seem to suggest Eddie Howe will replace him. Eddie's a great guy, with a very promising career ahead of him. But then again, so was Bruce Rioch.