Where do you rank Mason Greenwood as a talent?

Runaway Sue

If we bought Sancho, who would get benched? On current form, it has to be Rashford.
Yes, i think that's what will happen. We are lucky to have so talented players up front, but for the most important games i'd have Greenwood, Martial and Sancho. That doesnt mean i don't rate Rashford, i just rate the others higher. Rashford will still get a lot of games. Future's looking bright!

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
This kid is our star, first name on the teamsheet from now on. Sancho can come if he fancies the bench
Sancho can compete with Martial and Rashford. I’m good with that. Basically when Greenwood is fit, he plays. He should be regular rested but should always play when he can, like Maguire, Pogba and Bruno.

Shark

@NotShark
Well right now I rate him above Haaland. And I'm a huge Haaland fan. He's just so impressively technical and his shot technique is already a masterclass. The way he accelerates and just bangs it behind Reina should be a case study for any aspiring forward.
I second this. Haaland is lethal, but Greenwood is lethal, can dribble past players for fun and create his own chances so even if he has no service he's always a threat. Mad that I'm talking about an 18 year old here!

Fosu-Mens

Basically I can’t see how you can defend against him over 90 minutes.

If our team can ensure he gets 3 clear shots a game, he is always going to score.

And that’s right now, let alone into the future when he gets stronger and better.

Could have a Ronnie/Messi type talent on our hands!
Ronaldo was a big talent, but not even close to the talent Messi had.

But yeah, can see him becoming top 3 in the world in 2-5 years.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
You think? Greenwood is good but he cant be compared with Mbappe (yet)
I'm not saying he necessarily can right now, but wanting to swap the opportunity of watching a young lad who's been here since he was 6 grow into a superstar just for someone possibly better right now from elsewhere is weird as far as I'm concerned.

Redfrog

He is such a pure striker. He is the best at striking the ball into the net ! His shots are so clean it's unbelieveable.

I would not play him with his back on the goal. It would be such a waste, he is the best on the team at running in front of goal. I always feel something will happen !

I don't think he is in competition with Martial who is growing in his role. Martial is so strong on his feet, can hold the ball and link up very well.

Even if we buy Sancho it will be really hard to drop Greenwood. How can you drop someone who score every match ? That is the most valuable thing in football. And he is playing well too !

I never saw as sure thing as Greenwood. The lad will be a killer. He will take the record for goal scored to Rooney, I am calling it !

Reactions: roonster09

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Serious question here, who would swap Mason for Mbappe? I wouldn't.
Look, i would (with bad taste and feeling wrong :) ). Mason is amazing amazing amazing. And he is from our academy. But Mbappe is still better.

Greck

Wonder if people are conflicted on his emergence as it's sure to make Sancho look like a luxury. By the end of the season Mason would have cemented his place in the first team. We aren't paying 100m for a rotation spot

MiracleInMadrid

Does anyone know whether he is en route to breaking any records? Either in the PL or as a United player? Most goals as a teenager or something?

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Look, i would (with bad taste and feeling wrong :) ). Mason is amazing amazing amazing. And he is from our academy. But Mbappe is still better.
Ha. I'd rather not feel wrong and suffer that bad taste. There is no way I could love Mbappe as much.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Does anyone know whether he is en route to breaking any records? Either in the PL or as a United player? Most goals as a teenager or something?
Owen and Rooney were both prominent teens. Owen scored 18 league goal 97/98. He became 19 that season.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Desperate for us to get 5 or 6, and continue to reduce Leicester GD

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Wonder if people are conflicted on his emergence as it's sure to make Sancho look like a luxury. By the end of the season Mason would have cemented his place in the first team. We aren't paying 100m for a rotation spot
No, we are paying to have 4 players for 3 attacking roles in a season which have 60 games. Because we have 3 great players in attack and total dross on the bench (Ighalo is useful in some games).

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Yes we will

Greck

No, we are paying to have 4 players for 3 attacking roles in a season which have 60 games. Because we have 3 great players in attack and total dross on the bench (Ighalo is useful in some games).
Sancho will 100% ask to be a first teamer. The real question is if Mason will be okay to go back to the backup role.

Steamboat Willy

I think in a year or two, the FA will consider it cheating, if we play Greenwood for more than 15 minuts pr. game....

Last edited:

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Sancho will 100% ask to be a first teamer. The real question is if Mason will be okay to go back to the backup role.
All 4 players will just rotate. It is rare situation that all of them are injury free and in form.

Scholesgoals

He's got a bit of a (dare i say it) Bobby Charlton vibe about him, not lightning quick, two footed, good shooting, intelligent use of the body to make space...

Matty7

I don't get why people keep saying someone will be a back up? The season will have 50+ games and Ole will rotate them all. All 3 are pretty flexible along the front so there will be ample rotation to all get plenty of game time.

Go back in time we had 4 strikers for 2 positions, yet all got plenty of games. Its not FIFA or Football manager where you pick the same 11 game in game out.

Greck

I don't get why people keep saying someone will be a back up? The season will have 50+ games and Ole will rotate them all. All 3 are pretty flexible along the front so there will be ample rotation to all get plenty of game time.

Go back in time we had 4 strikers for 2 positions, get all got ample games. Its not FIFA or Football manager where you pick the same 11 game in game out.
All 4 players will just rotate. It is rare situation that all of them are injury free and in form.
Rotation doesn't mean one game on, one game off. The majority of a team's 60 games are still played by first options for continuity sake and form. Someone will see the bench for consecutive games

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Sure Greenwood is on a crazy finishing streak, obviously he's a great finisher but nobody keeps up this rate of finishing tbf. But his technique and all around game is just so good. He's not just a finisher. His touch, movement, passing, turns are always just perfect. Covered by 2 people going back and he still makes the right turn or first time pass and starts a counter. Just a brilliant footballer, even ignoring the finishing which is ridiculous.

Matty7

Rotation doesn't mean one game on, one game off. The majority of a team's 60 games are still played by first options for continuity sake and form. Someone will see the bench for consecutive games
But it will be rotated between 4 players, so it's not one off one on. This way teams we are facing won't know who to fully prepare for - Plus if we have any injuries/suspensions we still have a very strong side to put out.

Mane, Firmino and Salah haven't played every game this season together. There has been good rotation there too. You want to keep them fresh and hungry too.

Stadjer

I'm not saying he necessarily can right now, but wanting to swap the opportunity of watching a young lad who's been here since he was 6 grow into a superstar just for someone possibly better right now from elsewhere is weird as far as I'm concerned.
I was more thinking in terms of ability. If both are top players i would keep Greenwood but right now Mbappe is so far ahead i would swap them. If the difference in ability is minor i would keep Greenwood.

Keeping young lads who are from the academy over signing better players is why we had to endure Lingard for way too long.

Maybe we should just get Mbappe and have them both...

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
I was more thinking in terms of ability. If both are top players i would keep Greenwood but right now Mbappe is so far ahead i would swap them. If the difference in ability is minor i would keep Greenwood.

Keeping young lads who are from the academy over signing better players is why we had to endure Lingard for way too long.

Maybe we should just get Mbappe and have them both...
This is nothing like Lingard.

Greenwood looks to be a generational talent. Wanting to to swap that for a player that's maybe better right now but might not be in a year or two is just mental.

It also feels antithetical to United to me.

stepic

Being a top 3 player in 2 years and not wanting to swap for Mbappe.... classic caf

Red Stone

Cream of the crop. Can't remember the last time I saw a player that young hit the ball like that, and with both feet to boot.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Finally someone said this. Usually the same players will start in the majority of league & CL games unless forced otherwise by injuries.

SER19

Not saying he will hit their level, but it's the most excited I've been about a young player since Ronaldo and Rooney were emerging in 04-06.

Best academy product since Giggs

Bobski

His finishing and ball striking off both feet is just so fundamentally sound. He generates great power but crucially never seems to be trying to crush the ball, just solid accurate hits, very few wild hits sailing over the bar, controlled, and he is bringing back the old fashioned daisy cutter.

Kid is going to score a lot of goals for a lot of years for Utd, and I love that he is not just a one dimensional poacher, can create his own chances.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
I've read people saying that they knew CR7 was going to become what he became, and I just can't buy it as anything but revisionist history. SAF had no idea CR7 would become what he became either, I think we all knew he could be one of the best players in the world with a lot of work, but nowhere was there any indication he'd be a 40-50 goals/season scorer or an all-time great in the future. At that time, Quaresma was considered just as talented, Rooney was considered also a bigger talent around 2004 when they both featured at the Euro, I've seen CR7 consistently from 2004 onwards and he just seemed like a talented tricky winger that had a good cross, heading ability, dribbling, physique, and speed, but didn't makes very good decisions and had inconsistent production. Greenwood is just as impressive, if not more, but in a different way to CR7, who became a very different player to become this all-time great player than what he was when he first got to England.

I'm very clear in what I wrote, but you're making two different arguments. You talk about progression in one post and then you're talking about recognition here, two different things. I said you don't need to see him in a different league to see if he's making progress every year, you can just see it by the improved performances and output. I think you're the one who's confused on what he's arguing. I agree about recognition will be heightened in the PL or La Liga, but that was never what we were talking about.
That’s your opinion of Ronaldo. I saw a player who had elite technique, on another level to Rooney. Two footed. Outstanding speed, heading ability physique. Everything. Not all the greats score 50 goals a season but I knew he’d go on to be the best in the world, ok so Messi was there too. Never saw Rooney being in that bracket. Ronaldo inspired Portugal in 04 to the final. He was equally if not more outstanding in that tournament. Rooney was hyped. In short just because you couldn’t see how great Ronaldo was doesn’t mean others couldn’t. Was nice to be proved 100% correct too.