Where does Ancelotti rank among all time great managers?

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
The first manager to win four European Cup/Champions League titles.

The first manager to win league titles in Europe's big five leagues of Italy, Spain, England, Germany and France.

Multiple more minor trophies with Juve, Milan, Madrid, Chelsea and Bayern too.

He certainly beats any other manager in terms of his European record. But where does he rank overall in terms of the all-time greats?

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
At the very top, you don't have such a record with merely just luck.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
It’s a bit mad that he was at Everton isn’t it? Considering he’s one of the best managers ever.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
He's one of the very best, do think his league record lets him down a bit though.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
You'd have to think football was invented 5-6 years ago if you didn't already consider him one of the greatest of all time

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
I wouldn't want him at Man United so I can't say I rate him that much. Would take many managers over him

Real Madrid as a squad are just a winning machine I don't think its down to him

HookedOnAPhelan

Clearly a great manager, and his CL record is remarkable, but as a manager I still rank him behind SAF and Pep (in the last 20-30 years). I'd say even Mourinho (as much as I loathe him) possibly has a more impressive CV than him.

Last edited:

DoneDaDa

Supports
Toronto FC
Top 10 for me, probably around 6-7, but that's based off my metric anyways.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Not a manager for a rebuild but if you want a manager to get the best out of an already built unit, he’s the man.

Flexdegea

League record only bit you could argue about, but total winner, and best champs league manager ever, and does it without parking the bus,

RC89

I wouldn't want him at Man United so I can't say I rate him that much. Would take many managers over him

Real Madrid as a squad are just a winning machine I don't think its down to him
Let's not forget he also won two with AC and actually was the first to win it with Real before they became the winning machine we see today.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
Let's not forget he also won two with AC and actually was the first to win it with Real before they became the winning machine we see today.
I think the Real Madrid was down to the improvements under Mourinho. They went from a clown club to challenging in semi finals under him

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
The man won the CL in 2003, and then again in 2022 with two more in between. Its mighty difficult to stay relevant at the highest level for that long.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
He's definitely up there. Top five probably and way clear of Klopp. Is he better than Pep in terms of his achievements?

Red the Bear

Something less generic
I'm getting tempted to place him at my top 3.

Definitely deserve to be in the top 5.

I still feel his active look a tad better than what they are i mean after all look at the teams that he's managed, and he didn't really build any of them.
Underachieved with an exceptional juve side
Ac millan already had great players and had just won the league in 99 I believe And while his cl triumphs were impressive his league record was utter shite.
Chelsea's was already a very well settled well drilled team with amazing players with most of them in their peak and only managed to beat a clearly declining united side by one point and then imploded the season after.
Establish psg's early league dominance but did little with them in Europe but still a great success in my opinion.
Gave Madrid their decima in impressive fashion, great success but the players at his disposal were unreal.
Disappointing tenure with bayern.
Did ok with Napoli.
Did ok with everton.

And now has done incredibly well with Madrid at the end of his career.

He's such a cool guy and I love him SAF aside he would be my first choice by quite a distance if you already have a well settled team with great players.
We as united fans must woe the fact that we never had the pleasure of this man managing us.

He's in my eyes the European manager of the year and well deserved indeed.

RC89

I think the Real Madrid was down to the improvements under Mourinho. They went from a clown club to challenging in semi finals under him
Yeah, you might be right. But Carlo has to get credit for still being able to deliver for them. And then they literally seemed to have discovered the trick of winning it

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
He’d have won the a couple of cups and pushed for the title if he’d have taken over that side rather than Moyes.

dinostar77

At the very top, you don't have such a record with merely just luck.
Exactly this. Though just as Guardiola, Klopp, Mourinho et al, you need the players and the infrastructure to support you to win at highets level.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
One of the best of all time. You don’t win all of the top 5 leagues and be the only man to do that / have the most CL wins of any manager without being in that echelon.

dinostar77

I still think he would have been the correct choice immediately after fergie. He's not one to rip up what works. He would have taken what fergie did, tweaked it and gradually rebuilt the squad while being competitive. Shame he never got the chance to manage us.

Foxbatt

You don't win the CL four times if you are not among the best. His record in Europe is much better than SAF. Manchester United was a top club when SAF took over. I mean financially. As others have said what could he have done if he taken over from SAF?
He was a top player too and played under one of the best managers.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
One of the best of all time. You don’t win all of the top 5 leagues and be the only man to do that / have the most CL wins of any manager without being in that echelon.
Yeah, it is beyond belief many people would really think that a manager can fluke an entire career to that level.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I still think he would have been the correct choice immediately after fergie. He's not one to rip up what works. He would have taken what fergie did, tweaked it and gradually rebuilt the squad while being competitive. Shame he never got the chance to manage us.
yep. He’s a similar type of manager to SAF, in that he leaves the coaching to others and he works on everything around that.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Up there. He’s fallen a bit out of favour in the last few years as the new sexy pressing coaches became vogue, but he’s reminded everyone this season that he’s still one of the best around. I remember there being widespread bewilderment when he was plucked from Everton to go back to Madrid. Turned out to be an inspired decision for both of them.