Where does Carrick go in terms of all time greats for United?

krombacher92

Legend for me. Don't even think 12/13 was by far his best season, his performances were just noticed more because we played crap most of the time. He was brilliant from 06-09 and in 10/11. Also disagree that he's a big match bottler, he was great against Barca in 07/08, Inter the season after that, Madrid in 12/13, Bayern in the Moyes season and in countless matches against Chelsea, Liverpool etc.

Reactions: Penna

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
He is not one of the all time greats for United but he's had a good career at the club. I think the top players tend to have a bit of a nasty streak and Carrick never had that. We can talk about that period where we dominated in Europe but maybe people forget the other players we had ;) We just matured as a squad.

Miscemayl

Below Scholes and Keane, and a tier above all the other CM we've had recently. He is a good player (relative to the high standards we have and hence not a great), while others like Fletcher, Butt and Park are good servants.

I think Herrera will eventually join him (if we start winning) and hopefully Pogba will join the tiers of Scholes and Keane (only if we start dominating again).

Mike09

Im sorry but I just cant agree with any of that. We won THE TREBLE with Scholes Giggs Beckham and Keane. Neville is one of Unites best defenders ever and so is Rio and you dont regard them as good as Vidic? More influence than them? Neville was our Captain. Its just bizarre to rate Vidic above United legends like Scholes and Giggs. Bizarre.
It's so funny how people just rate players based on their ability but what about the influence of the players with the team? Do you understand the meaning of "influence"??? The likes of Ronaldo never won trebles with us but I rate his influence higher than Giggs, Beckham and Scholes.
The reason why you think it's a bizarre because you didn't read my post properly. Winning treble or more trophies doesn't make you become Tier 1. If you swap Stam with Vidic in 1999 squad, we would still winning a treble!!.

Tier 1 doesn't make you a better player either. I rate Scholes and Beckham as better players than Keane but I put Keane in tier 1 because of both his ability as a no6 and his influence in our game was bigger than the likes of Scholes and Beckham.
And I said the same thing about Vidic, Vidic's influence in our team was higher than Giggs, Scholes, Beckham, Neville. We didn't win 3 PL for three seasons in a row!! Vidic came and we won 5 in 7 seasons!! Do you not understand the meaning of "influence"?

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
It's so funny how people just rate players based on their ability but what about the influence of the players with the team? Do you understand the meaning of "influence"??? The likes of Ronaldo never won trebles with us but I rate his influence higher than Giggs, Beckham and Scholes.
The reason why you think it's a bizarre because you didn't read my post properly. Winning treble or more trophies doesn't make you become Tier 1. If you swap Stam with Vidic in 1999 squad, we would still winning a treble!!.

Tier 1 doesn't make you a better player either. I rate Scholes and Beckham as better players than Keane but I put Keane in tier 1 because of both his ability as a no6 and his influence in our game was bigger than the likes of Scholes and Beckham.
And I said the same thing about Vidic, Vidic's influence in our team was higher than Giggs, Scholes, Beckham, Neville. We didn't win 3 PL for three seasons in a row!! Vidic came and we won 5 in 7 seasons!! Do you not understand the meaning of "influence"?
First you say you rate Vidic more because we won titles with him where as without him we didnt with the same midfield which translates to influence, then you go on to say Ronaldo was more influential than Giggs and that it has nothing to do with winning titles.

We are talking about United's all time greats and you rate Vidic above Beckham Scholes and Giggs.

Anyway I completely disagree with just about everything you say so lets just leave it at that.

Last edited:

Sunny Jim

Warsaw...that's too far away from Edinburgh...
Tier 1 - Keane, Robson, Best, Law, Charlton, Scholes and Cantona
Tier 2 - Giggs, Beckham, Voillet, Ronaldo, Ferdinand, Vidic, Schmeichel and McGrath
Tier 3 - Butt, Carrick, G.Nev, Stapleton, Evra and Van Der Sar

*DISCLAIMER* This is just my opinion of where Carrick fits in..
How come Becks, Giggs are tier two?? In their prime two best wide players in the world?

UnofficialDevil

How come Becks, Giggs are tier two?? In their prime two best wide players in the world?
This one is even worse

Tier 1: Vidic, Robson, Keane, Ronaldo, RVN
Tier 2: Giggs, Scholes, Beckham, Rio, Stam
Tier 2.5: Carrick, Neville, Evra, Cole
Tier 3: Park, Butt, Brown, Fletcher, Ronny Johnsen

Last edited:

Handré1990

Carrick is such an odd case on here. He really went from underrated to overrated on the Caf during the 12/13 season when he was absolutely fantastic in the league. He's clearly a few tiers below United's greatest midfielders and could never handle battles against elite midfielders of other clubs like Keane, Scholes or Robson could. He stood out in 12/13 when the midfields in the Premier League were in general on a truely poor level compared to the past (and probably soon present), but at no point did he excel in the CL or was worthy of a regular starting spot for England (judged on his actual performances for the nationalteam).

He was a great support to the elite players in the team during United's sensational years from 2006 to 2011 and you could often read harsh criticism about his role on here, which then all of a sudden changed when the team around him declined while he still kept his level. Now you can read comments how England failed to build a team around him and stuff like that, which is frankly nonsense. He was never good enough to build a team or a midfield around him if you want to actually challenge for the biggest trophies.
Agree with a lot of what you've said here. Never lead our team like many others mentioned, and still now, when he is recognized as a great and important player, I see some other more important players in our team. A great facilitator as it were.

Level below Keane, Scholes, et al., but level above other popular players like Butt, Fletcher.
This is about right for me.

Mike09

First you say you rate Vidic more because we won titles with him where as without him we didnt with the same midfield which translates to influence, then you go on to say Ronaldo was more influential than Giggs and that it has nothing to do with winning titles.

Anyway I completely disagree with just about everything you say so lets just leave it at that.
Yea. There are many reasons why I think Vidic is above them.
1) In my opinion he's more influence than them. In 8.5 years, we have won 5 PL titles when he was with us (1 of the season he was injured and the other season he passed his prime). So pretty much when he was fit we won.
2) I remember we didn't win a single PL in three years even though we had the likes of Scholes, Giggs, Rio and Keane. And when Vidic joined us, our back four became way more solid.
3) Stam is probably on par or closed with Vidic but what makes me picked Vidic ahead of Stam because I have seen Vidic played with a young inexperienced Evans and Smalling and he still made our backfour like a world class.
4) Vidic is the best centre back in his generation. And tier 1 players will be in my best United XI and Vidic is one of them.

I rate Vidic more. But in term of what?? If you read my post again above, I rated him higher in term of both ability and influence of him in our team. The impact that he gave to our defense is higher than the impact that Scholes, Giggs and Beckham did to our midfield. You can't deny the fact that we didn't win the league for three seasons with Scholes, Giggs, Rio, RVN in a team but we won 5 in 7 seasons with Vidic. When RVN left and both Giggs and Scholes passed his prime and we still won the league!!

Ronaldo was just an example of how I described tier 1 players is actually based on how important their influence/impact to our team!. Not only based on how many trophies the players have won with us or if they can win us treble.

UnofficialDevil

1) In my opinion he's more influence than them. In 8.5 years, we have won 5 PL titles when he was with us (1 of the season he was injured and the other season he passed his prime). So pretty much when he was fit we won.
2) I remember we didn't win a single PL in three years even though we had the likes of Scholes, Giggs, Rio and Keane. And when Vidic joined us, our back four became way more solid.
3) Stam is probably on par or closed with Vidic but what makes me picked Vidic ahead of Stam because I have seen Vidic played with a young inexperienced Evans and Smalling and he still made our backfour like a world class.
4) Vidic is the best centre back in his generation. And tier 1 players will be in my best United XI and Vidic is one of them.

I rate Vidic more. But in term of what?? If you read my post again above, I rated him higher in term of both ability and influence of him in our team. The impact that he gave to our defense is higher than the impact that Scholes, Giggs and Beckham did to our midfield. You can't deny the fact that we didn't win the league for three seasons with Scholes, Giggs, Rio, RVN in a team but we won 5 in 7 seasons with Vidic. When RVN left and both Giggs and Scholes passed his prime and we still won the league!!

Ronaldo was just an example of how I described tier 1 players is actually based on how important their influence/impact to our team!. Not only based on how many trophies the players have won with us or if they can win us treble.
All I can assume is that you never watched us play in the 90's or in fact 1999.

Mike09

This one is even worst
What worse is actually your inability of reading people post.
Scholes has always been the best midfield in league history in term of his ability and way better than Keane. But in term of impact or influence Keane has always been higher than Scholes and that's why I put him in higher tier than Scholes.
The same thing with Vidic, Ronaldo, and Robson.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
Level below Keane, Scholes, et al., but level above other popular players like Butt, Fletcher.
Totally agree. He has been an important part for all of our titles since he joined. When healthy he is very very good. His form dips significantly, though, when he is fighting any type of injury or knock. I remember a number of years ago he had a poor second half if the season and many here were ready to sell him. Then in the summer we found out he had been struggling with an and injury for months.

Mike09

All I can assume is that you never watched us play in the 90's or in fact 1999.
Again you don't read my previous post :lol:. Can you please don't jump into conclusion?
You swap Vidic and Stam in 1999 we would still won treble!!
And also mate, when you have a bloody Roy Keane, Giggs, Beckham, Cantona, Cole, Scholes in XI, it's pretty much not about individual players but the whole squad were fantastic. But if Vidic had to play with Anderson, Cleverley, Jones, Valencia, Park and Nani and still able to won the league and went to final CL with this team, well surely you can see the difference.

TypeR

Below Scholes and Keane, and a tier above all the other CM we've had recently. He is a good player (relative to the high standards we have and hence not a great), while others like Fletcher, Butt and Park are good servants.

I think Herrera will eventually join him (if we start winning) and hopefully Pogba will join the tiers of Scholes and Keane (only if we start dominating again).
This is about right. But players need the right partnerships and systems to shine, and Carrick may just be what Herrera and Pogba need to shine. In every team I've seen him in, he's just kept playing a similar game, performing at a consistently high level with the occasional spike (Roma 7-1, 12-13 season) and dip (last season with LVG) along the way.

Barring those, he's been a good, model professional for me and one of those players that every team needs to hold the other pieces together.

dogwithabone

Not legendary but has been a massive part of Manchester United. He's one of those players and characters who fans and players alike will always speak highly of. Not many, if any, will have a bad word to say and that's a great way to be remembered.

wolvored

I tend to agree here. I'd say dead on 7.5 using this logic. I didn't see Robson but if you're marking him as a 10 then I assume you see him higher than Scholes and Keane who you'd probably see as around 9-9.5? If so, then yeah. Seems about right.
I've supported Utd since the early 70s and by far Robson was the best player we've had imo. He could pass, tackle, score goals, lead the team etc. All this whilst probably being drunk from the day before and playing on mudbaths not the billiard tables they play on nowadays. In todays value, if he was 25, his transfer fee would be well over 100 million. He came back from a broken ankle, leg, swolled his tongue and dislocated his shoulder. They didn't call him Captain Marvel for nothing.

Ole'sbodyguard

Whilst I agree to an extent that Scholes wasn't as influential, while Beckham was at his peak.. you've got the 95/96 season, 02/03 season and 06-08, where he was very influential and the midfield heartbeat of the side. Even outside of those seasons, I'd say after 02/03, he was still making his mark on the side.. but due to him being quite, no one really understood just how much of an important player he was for us. Even I admit, that when I go back and watch old footage of us play, it makes me shocked to see how much of a role he does play pre 2006, in the tempo of our game and how much quality he has with his passing, dribbling etc.

On the flip side, for me Giggs really does get overrated outside of his initial burst onto the scene.. early to mid nineties, was prime Giggs and for me after that he never really took the mantle and became the heartbeat of the side at any stage, whereas for me Scholes did prove he can be the 'midfield' heartbeat of the side. Anyway I digress, based on pure midfielders.. I'd rank United centre/attacking mids as follows in terms of peak ability.

In terms of his career, and overall standing, I'd have him ahead of Ince.

Butt was rated highly by Fergie but suffered alot with his eyesight after breaking into the side and it hindered his progress. Not sure if it got resolved, but this was a guy who Fergie trusted right away in the most serious of fixtures.

Tier 1: Sir Bobby Charlton/Duncan Edwards
Tier 2: Bryan Robson
Tier 3: Roy Keane
Tier 4: Paul Scholes
Tier 5: Nobby Stiles
Tier 6: Paddy Crerand
Tier 7:Paul Ince
Tier 8: Michael Carrick
Tier 9: Nicky Butt
Scholes did not play in central midfield for United in 95/96 so was certainly not the heart of the midfield that season. Butt and Keane were the pairing with McClair occasionally filling in. Scholes was used as a forward with Cole until Cantona came back from suspension and was in combination with Cole for the rest of the season. First time Scholes had any real run as a central midfielder was paired with Butt in 1997/1998 after Keane did his cruciate aside from the odd game when we used a 3 man midfield which was extremely rare.

UnofficialDevil

You seem to forget that when we signed Vidic we also signed Van de sar. We started winning again because we finally found a partner for Rio who was world class,we got a world class goalie, Ronaldo wasnt 17 anymore and started breaking all sorts of records and we also signed Evra and Tevez and Rooney was at his best. So I dont see why you seem to imply that the team was shit and only became good when we signed Vidic which means he was so influential...

Those years you keep referring to we were also in a transition period playing with the likes of Kleberson Djeba Belion and Howard.

Last edited:

Manny

Grammar Police
I think you need to remember that Vidic's arrival coincided with a huge turnover of players.

Six months either side of his arrival we released Kleberson, Fortune, Bellion, Djemba and Tim Howard and brought in van der Sar, Vidic, Evra and Carrick as well as Park. Huge upgrades that turned out to be mainstays of the side. Vidic also turned into a massive upgrade on the players we had for the second CB spot, namely Silvestre, Brown and Heinze.

The three years before before his arrival were always going to be barren years because SAF seemed to take a chance on anyone with a bit of talent. Also, Rio was suspended for 03-04 and Scholes was ruled out for most of 05-06 with his eyesight problems and Roy Keane left quite early on in that same season too.

Andersons Dietician

He isn't a goal grabber or a guy that will force the play. So he is never likely to be a legend, however for me ability wise he is up there with all our greats.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Carrick is one of our most decorated players, a mainstay in our midfield for a decade, regular fixture in all 3 champions league final. Now on his last legs he's helping us through an important transition. But yea Ince is overall better a Manchester United player, despite playing for the Scouse and hating our club, because Carrick's dull as feck.
For me, the achievements of the teams Ince was part of are equally important - Fergie's first trophy, our first European trophy in ages, first title in ages, and first double as part of my favorite United team. Those years set the foundations for what followed.

Obviously Carrick is the more likable as Ince was a cnut, but I rate Ince as the better player, so that's why I'd have them on an equal level.

Rossa

Tier 1: Vidic, Robson, Keane, Ronaldo, RVN
Tier 2: Giggs, Scholes, Beckham, Rio, Stam
Tier 2.5: Carrick, Neville, Evra, Cole
Tier 3: Park, Butt, Brown, Fletcher, Ronny Johnsen

I never watch Sir Bobby, Best and Law before so I won't put them in the list but if I have to it has to be in tier 1 since they won best player of the year award before (ballon d'or). Carrick is definitely up there very closed with the likes of Giggs, Scholes, Beckham in my opinion.
Vidic above Rio and Scholes not in tier one. Have you watched them play?

Lord Megadrive

Flautist in training
Between the Motorola 68000 and Yamaha YM2612
Giggs was better than Cantona in my view, by a distance too.

Eric was a catalyst/leader but wasn't at Giggs level.
But the catalyst/leader is what makes him the better player in my eyes!

We've been lucky as a club to have some great players (and let's face it our tier 3 legends would still rank higher than most other clubs tier 1) for example is Stevie G had played for united he would be the same level as Carrick in my opinion.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
A very very very good player.

In a lot of clubs, he'd be in their top.10.... it just reminds you of how many great players we've had when you think Carrick probably wouldn't get in most people's top.20?

I'm biased (see name) but Robson and Keane were better MFers than Carrick as was Scholes (I'm still laughing at that comment on page.1 suggesting Scholes is over-rated!!! :nono:). And if I was playing a plain 4-4-2, I'd have McGrath (definite legend for me) and Ince before Carrick too though Carrick beats Ince (and most players) for longevity. It depends on whether peak ability or longevity is your key factor.

Comes behind Keane/Robson/Scholes but edges Ince, Beckham and above people like Butt, Muhren, Moses, Sammy Mc and others like that.

Ole'sbodyguard

A very very very good player.

In a lot of clubs, he'd be in their top.10.... it just reminds you of how many great players we've had when you think Carrick probably wouldn't get in most people's top.20?

I'm biased (see name) but Robson and Keane were better MFers than Carrick as was Scholes (I'm still laughing at that comment on page.1 suggesting Scholes is over-rated!!! :nono:). And if I was playing a plain 4-4-2, I'd have McGrath (definite legend for me) and Ince before Carrick too though Carrick beats Ince (and most players) for longevity. It depends on whether peak ability or longevity is your key factor.

Comes behind Keane/Robson/Scholes but edges Ince, Beckham and above people like Butt, Muhren, Moses, Sammy Mc and others like that.
You would play McGrath over Carrick in central midfield in a 4-4-2? If so, why?

BTW - I don't disagree with most of your post other than this part.

Kag

Carrick is such an odd case on here. He really went from underrated to overrated on the Caf during the 12/13 season when he was absolutely fantastic in the league. He's clearly a few tiers below United's greatest midfielders and could never handle battles against elite midfielders of other clubs like Keane, Scholes or Robson could. He stood out in 12/13 when the midfields in the Premier League were in general on a truely poor level compared to the past (and probably soon present), but at no point did he excel in the CL or was worthy of a regular starting spot for England (judged on his actual performances for the nationalteam).

He was a great support to the elite players in the team during United's sensational years from 2006 to 2011 and you could often read harsh criticism about his role on here, which then all of a sudden changed when the team around him declined while he still kept his level. Now you can read comments how England failed to build a team around him and stuff like that, which is frankly nonsense. He was never good enough to build a team or a midfield around him if you want to actually challenge for the biggest trophies.
This is absolutely spot on, which means lots of people won't want to hear it. Carrick has been a very good midfielder over the years, mind.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff

He's had some memorable midfield performances for us. Against Platini's Juventus, for example. Not that I agree with his opinion though.

harms

Staff
Charlton
Keane, Robson, Scholes, Edwards
Carrick, Stiles, Crerand, Ince

That's how it is for me. In the first two tiers I have midfielders who can single-handedly win you the game. Carrick doesn't belong in that category for me, but he showed that he can be a crucial part in successful teams.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
But the catalyst/leader is what makes him the better player in my eyes!

We've been lucky as a club to have some great players (and let's face it our tier 3 legends would still rank higher than most other clubs tier 1) for example is Stevie G had played for united he would be the same level as Carrick in my opinion.
When Liverpool talk about their all time greats, and have Stevie G perhaps only second to Kenny D, I instantly think we had 3 better players on one statue! Let alone the recent greats!
How can they not have had better than Stevie G in all their glory days!

davidmichael

He's not Charlton, Scholes, Keane, Robson and Edwards level who for me are our top five midfielders in my opinion.

I'd have to really think hard on our list of midfielders to give a definitive place but I'd say Carrick is a top ten midfielder in our history and without question the most underrated, I'd love to go back in time and bring Carrick from ten years ago back to the present with me and stick him in our team now as replacing him is a thankless task.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
He's had some memorable midfield performances for us. Against Platini's Juventus, for example. Not that I agree with his opinion though.
And for Ireland too, esp since they were well stocked in the centre-back department (Moran, McCarthy etc) and Jack Charlton himself deemed McGrath 'too good' to be a centre-back and played him as a DM.

harms

Staff
When Liverpool talk about their all time greats, and have Stevie G perhaps only second to Kenny D, I instantly think we had 3 better players on one statue! Let alone the recent greats!
How can they not have had better than Stevie G in all their glory days!
To be fair, Souness was better. Maybe Barnes/Rush too, although it's much harder to compare.
They really have an underwhelming list of legends, considering their success

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"

The 'play him over Carrick' bit is simply because I think McGrath was a great talent.... a "natural" footballer and a rarity in looking so accomplished as a MF and a CH (admittedly where he played a lot of his career..... and tbf, in my all time XI, I have him as a CH).

Had a great talent for reading the game, was deceptively fast over 5-10 yards, hard as nails in the tackle (but not nasty) and could run with or pass the ball.... all attributes a MF needs?

The 'play him in a 442' bit is just because United played 442 in early/mid 80s (as did most clubs in the 80's..... a simpler time?).... Hughes/Stapleton up front, Muhren, Whiteside then Olsen taking the wide positions.

Lord Megadrive

Flautist in training
Between the Motorola 68000 and Yamaha YM2612
The 'play him over Carrick' bit is simply because I think McGrath was a great talent.... a "natural" footballer and a rarity in looking so accomplished as a MF and a CH (admittedly where he played a lot of his career..... and tbf, in my all time XI, I have him as a CH).

Had a great talent for reading the game, was deceptively fast over 5-10 yards, hard as nails in the tackle (but not nasty) and could run with or pass the ball.... all attributes a MF needs?

The 'play him in a 442' bit is just because United played 442 in early/mid 80s (as did most clubs in the 80's..... a simpler time?).... Hughes/Stapleton up front, Muhren, Whiteside then Olsen taking the wide positions.
Imagine how much better McGrath would've been if he hadn't been playing with a perpetual hangover!

Fergus' son

Gets very easily confused

:wenger:

Fergus' son

Gets very easily confused
Mentioning just his league 12/13 form is beyond ridiculous when Manchester United reached three Champions league finals, winning one and being stopped only by one of the best teams ever(if not the best) twice with Carrick as one of our instrumental players in all three campaigns. Last time we reached CL final, he was playing next to Giggs in midfield two ffs, and he was excellent. He was also at least twice our player of the season since 2010. He is going high even in his 36th, and he is still easily one of the best passers around.

But yeah, overrated. Let's talk now about building the team around Schwensteiger who at 31 couldn't play as good as Carrick can in his 36th.

Good post.