Where has the notion that ETH isn't a possession manager come from?

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I randomly noticed three different posters make this point across three pages of the same thread.

We don't set up to control the game and, as others have said, we're looking more of a transition team. Which I have now been told is what Ajax were anyway, so why are we expecting us to control games? Basically, we're seeing a pumped up version of Ole and José's football due to having better players now.
Ten hag isn’t a possession based manager so I guess he doesn’t emphasise on this passing thing that much in his philosophy.
Completely agree. ETH isn't a possession manager and some are hoping he will be. Still looks counter attack/press to me.
I don't expect that to change much with Bruno and the god awful ddg as 1st choice
This is pretty bizarre as in my eyes ETH is very obviously a possession-orientated manager, just one that has been forced to compromise a lot of principles this season due to limitations in the squad. The idea his Ajax were a transition team in particular is just.... odd.

Is this an actual opinion that widely exists within the fanbase? Or is it just the niche wrong opinion of three random posters that doesn't actually warrant a new thread?

Tarrou

I don’t think he’s married to it, but prefers to dominate possession

we have some shite midfielders if your goal is to dominate possession, that’s for sure.. makes sense he’d try and adapt a bit

The idea probably springs from the fact we haven’t been that amazing at possession.. yet

kaku06

I don’t think he’s married to it, but prefers to dominate possession

we have some shite midfielders if your goal is to dominate possession, that’s for sure.. makes sense he’d try and adapt a bit

The idea probably springs from the fact we haven’t been that amazing at possession.. yet
Yeah, that’s what I meant to say. He’s isn’t like Pep or Arteta where their team dominates the ball and control the games. Of course he prefers possession but I don’t see us controlling the games under Ten Hag like them.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I think at Ajax he was just that?

With is it’s harder to tell because we’ve been coached as a counter attacking machine for the past 7 years. Our two main attacking influences - Bruno and Rashford are much more suited to that as well. So I’m not sure how a manager comes in and transforms us overnight with some of the personnel we’ve stacked up.
As I said in the thread I started I hope every signing this summer is a shift towards that. Martinez and Erikson were two steps but we need many more.

Pronewbie

Peep
Over the years I've watched around a dozen games of his prior to joining United, and never thought that his Ajax teams seek to dominate possession.

He's more focused on being on the front foot and at the same time, pragmatic. But he definitely leans towards attacking football. Possession is merely a tool in his toolbox. It's football that players and fans alike enjoy.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
If he is a full on possession based manager, he's not going to be able to translate this approach to players who have been coached to be counter attacking for the last 6-7 years, while only getting a few players in who look possession based players (Martinez, Antony, Casemiro, FdJ reported). I don't consider WW cause he's been signed as a stop gap, whereas Eriksen was signed as second choice cause we couldn't get FdJ.
Give him 1 or 2 windows more and I think he fully implements his style on this team.

padzilla

Hipster
We don't have the players for possession based football, Bruno likes to make quick incisive passes which makes him perfectly suited to counter attacking teams, nothing wrong with that, I am sure as our personnel on the pitch changes so will our football.
ETH is just making the most of what he has. We have a massive amount of players who keep ceding possession.

amolbhatia50k

We don't have the players for possession based football, Bruno likes to make quick incisive passes which makes him perfectly suited to counter attacking teams, nothing wrong with that, I am sure as our personnel on the pitch changes so will our football.
ETH is just making the most of what he has. We have a massive amount of players who keep ceding possession.
I’m hoping we make those additions but I think Bruno and De Gea remain the biggest question marks / riddles to solve. The former is nearly untouchable at the club whereas the latter should be replaced but it will obviously be a big call due to his time here.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Doesn't really matter, we are very far from being a possession oriented team anyway. I would like us to go that direction but now I'm glad he's adapted well to what he can do with current set of players.

Red00012

We have alot of midfield players careless in possession at times Casemiro , Fred , Bruno we will never be a possession team unless we sort this out

Slevs

likes to play with penises
We have alot of midfield players careless in possession at times Casemiro , Fred , Bruno we will never be a possession team unless we sort this out
Fred is a squad option who is only playing because Eriksen is injured.
Casemiro has shown he is good with the ball and passing in tight spaces.
Bruno, yes, I wonder if he can transition into such a player.

Big summer for ETH ahead. Does he find that midfield possession passer/ball carrier he was looking for (FdJ or alternative), or does he upgrade on Eriksen with someone fairly similar.

I highly doubt McTominay is staying at the club this summer. We should sign a young DM with good potential to shadow/cover Casemiro's place.
We should sign a 1st choice midfield ball carrier, and have Eriksen/Fred as squad options.

The above with the stability of passing from Varane/Martinez at the back should help us control more possession.

Ole's screen

Supports
KC Chiefs
I really don't want us to be a possession based team anyways. I've always found Pep's obsession with positional play and possession football kinda boring.

On ETH, while he is Dutch so does have that possession bug somewhat, even at Ajax he was a different beast from previous Ajax managers. He was much less ideological about possession and was willing to give it up for a more counter pressing approach in the big games.

Marwood

I really don't want us to be a possession based team anyways. I've always found Pep's obsession with positional play and possession football kinda boring.

On ETH, while he is Dutch so does have that possession bug somewhat, even at Ajax he was a different beast from previous Ajax managers. He was much less ideological about possession and was willing to give it up for a more counter pressing approach in the big games.
We don’t have to be City and Pep. We don't have to go that far.

But we do need to out pass mid table teams.

gajender

United can forget about genuinely Challenging for the League unless they learn to keep possession properly , might need to replace some fan favourites like Fernandes , De Gea along with obvious upgrades in Center Midfield , Striker as well RB positions but it need to happen in Summer If United are serious about becoming Contenders rather than just pretenders .

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
He is a manager that aims to get the best out of his players first in my opinion.

Judas

Open to offers
He doesn't have the players to play his preferred style. So he's making the best of what he got. I'm a bit bemused people don't think he's a possession based manager, he has generally been one in the past, but not in the same dull and painful ways as someone like Pep.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I think people get confused and think possession based means sucking the life out of an opponent with 70+% possession ala Guardiola.

Eddy_JukeZ

I think people get confused and think possession based means sucking the life out of an opponent with 70+% possession ala Guardiola.
Either way, Pep's teams have always been very good at creating chances too.

There's this weird myth on here that possession automatically = sterile football.

All of the best teams in the last decade were excellent at recycling the ball and pinning opponents back.

Revaulx

It looks like a lot of people think “possession” is the same thing as Tiki-Taka.

It’s surely obvious that ETH likes players like Martinez who don’t hold onto the ball nor pass it sideways, but are constantly looking for ways to pass it forward as quickly as possible.

The sort of possession he’s after is more about controlling games through not constantly giving the ball away, especially in midfield. The signing of the currently much missed Eriksen was a sign of that.

Last edited:

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton

There's this weird myth on here that possession automatically = sterile football.

All of the best teams in the last decade were excellent at recycling the ball and pinning opponents back.
Definitely. I do think Ten Hag differs from Pep though in the sense that he isn't fussed about keeping hold of the ball as much as that 70% and prefers to play a bit more quicker and direct, albeit still retaining and winning the ball back quickly.

In Rainbows

I think it was pretty evident Ten Hag preferred United to play out from the back. It's why we conceded lots of goals pre-Liverpool match. Did people forget this? It's because our players did not have the mentality to shake off any conceded goals, that Ten Hag had United abandon that approach for the next few matches. Slowly we've reintroduced that, but it's not to the same volume as in the first 2 matches where Ten Hag was adamant about De Gea bringing it out from the back.

Of course we're a much more confident side now, but there is no reason to go away from what has worked. I would wait until next season after some transfers, plus a preseason to judge whether or not Ten Hag truly wants it or not.

amolbhatia50k

Urgh. Every top team excels at possession play. Klopp’s best Liverpool teams, Barcelona, Madrid , Bayern, PSG and now Arsenal all know how to dominate possession and play high quality keep ball (PSG is a stretch). This idea that possession=Pep is completely wrong.

If we want to be a top class team we have to be able to do it whether you personally like it or not.

Oranges038

From the players.

You just cannot play a dominant possesion based game with players like DDG, Dalot, AWB, Bruno or Fred. Who are just either poor on the ball or too loose with possession.

It just ain't gonna happen.

amolbhatia50k

From the players.

You just cannot play a dominant possesion based game with players like DDG, Dalot, AWB, Bruno or Fred. Who are just either poor on the ball or too loose with possession.

It just ain't gonna happen.
Agreed. Eriksen and Martinez were a step in the direction but it’ll take another 4-5 signings of that ilk to do it. Hopefully Sancho and Antony can wake up and contribute in this regard too.

Messier1994

The Swedish Rumble
He doesn't have the players to play his preferred style. So he's making the best of what he got. I'm a bit bemused people don't think he's a possession based manager, he has generally been one in the past, but not in the same dull and painful ways as someone like Pep.
I 100% agree with this and the OP’s point.

The biggest difference between Pep and ETHs styles is that ETH wants players switching positions while Pep is very strict in that regard.

What needs to be realized is the fragile balance a team walks that is trying to ‘win’ possession. Old fashioned pundits have forever written off many aspects of Pep’s game as unnecessary flamboyance. Every time a goal is scored after Ederson trying to play the ball or the D trying to play up from the back it was ‘oh why does he try to play the ball there, just clear it’.

But the result is (should be) undeniable, the teams that can dominate possession even against its rivals put itself in a position to destroy those rivals. I’ve never liked to watch Pep or Barca or his style of football. But I would say that it is impossible to argue that the best way to play football right now for a contending team is to play like Mourinho does, like Conte does, and so forth.

The reason for why many claim that ETH isn’t a possession manager is because we haven’t even remotely been a possession based team this season. We are way behind City and Arsenal. Against Barca, City, Arsenal and Liverpool — over 8 games — our avg possession has been 38%.

There are two things that stand out in this regard:
(1) DDG’s distribution.
(2) The use of Rashford at LW and the amount of times we look to find him with passes in behind the D line.

As for DDG distribution — How many times a game does DDG gives away the ball in situations someone like Ter Stegen would have kept the ball within the team? 6-7? How long does each of those passes on avg result in that we have to play without the ball? Say that it’s 30 seconds, it’s 3 minutes over a game of lost possession. If effective play is 50 minutes — it’s 6% of possession lost there. 52% instead of 58%.

As for the results of playing Rashford at LW — the single biggest difference in Pep’s style of play is his use of the wingers with inverting full-backs, and wingers that drop down into a ‘passing pocket’. What, 15-20 years ago — everyone — used inverting wingers and overlapping wingbacks.

The reason you do this is just to get another advantage in the battle for possession. Like if you posse this question: What is — the safest — pass you can make from your defensive line up field? It is not an area pass into open spaces. How many times does Salah come away with the ball if LFC cross it into an open area behind the full backs? 50%? But if City’s CMs and full backs take forward centralized runs, and Bernardo Silva starting from a position high up field, moves back toward the D wide, with eye contact with the defender and can move in a direction against a pass made to him — it’s what completed 95% of the time? He is very hard to pick up.

Why is City so absurdly hard to win possession against? It’s because they have say a Grealish at LW, KDB at AMC and Silva as RW — and when they have the ball deep, they push the opponents back with centralized runs while those three all seek to get open by moving in these patterns. They become impossible to pick up more or less.

Rashford of course plays like this too. If you look for it, you will a few times per game see Shaw inverted like 15 feet from the penalty area while Rashford is down by the half way line. I wonder how many players Bernardo Silva on average has infront of him when he got the ball, 6-7?

100% due to squad reasons, we deviate from this under ETH. We very often have Rash running in behind and we seek him with area passes. This also shaves of a number of percent points from our possession. From say 58% (if we had a GK who could pass the ball) to 61-62%?

And a last point, the longer ETH is here, the better we will become at these things. But right now — we are very effective on the counter attack. Look, no matter what you think of Ole, we did those things really well under him. We will lose in those areas with time too.

Last edited:

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

He is a possession manager in the sense that he understands the importance of keeping the ball in dangerous areas to maintain a high line and play a proactive brand of football. I believe that's where we're going to see improvement in the near future. But, unlike Pep and others, he treats possession as a means to an end and not as an end per se. There are a lot of Bielsa's principals in his pressing tactics, for example. I also think that one of the things that makes him so endearing to the United faithful, as opposed to a possession manager like LvG, is that he also embraces several elements from Ferguson's ideas. Whereas Pep aims for superiority on the ball in all 20 zones to instil and perfect positional plays which will create space, Ferguson understood that the essence of transition football is time. You may not "control" the wide areas or the half-spaces, but if you manage to create (through movement and patterns of play) situations your creative/attacking players can make the most of, you'll reach your goals in the end. There's a lot more to Fergie's comments like "you should always play your best players" or "make the most of RvP's runs because he's going to win us the league" than meets the eye. Ancelotti is similar from the managers who are still going strong. The personnel surely affects the way we set up to play, but the directness on the ball will not go away.

Messier1994

The Swedish Rumble
He is a possession manager in the sense that he understands the importance of keeping the ball in dangerous areas to maintain a high line and play a proactive brand of football. I believe that's where we're going to see improvement in the near future. But, unlike Pep and others, he treats possession as a means to an end and not as an end per se. There are a lot of Bielsa's principals in his pressing tactics, for example. I also think that one of the things that makes him so endearing to the United faithful, as opposed to a possession manager like LvG, is that he also embraces several elements from Ferguson's ideas. Whereas Pep aims for superiority on the ball in all 20 zones to instil and perfect positional plays which will create space, Ferguson understood that the essence of transition football is time. You may not "control" the wide areas or the half-spaces, but if you manage to create (through movement and patterns of play) situations your creative/attacking players can make the most of, you'll reach your goals in the end. There's a lot more to Fergie's comments like "you should always play your best players" or "make the most of RvP's runs because he's going to win us the league" than meets the eye. Ancelotti is similar from the managers who are still going strong. The personnel surely affects the way we set up to play, but the directness on the ball will not go away.
Great points!

But also, honestly, it’s completely underreported how many times ETH indirectly called out Bruno early during the season when we got the ball up field and Bruno instantly turned around an sent a cross that would spring Rashford, with a hit rate of like 5%.

I can’t comment on the details side of our pressing game, not knowledgeable enough. But with the ball, we are very much inspired by Pep — with the difference that ETH promotes rotations.

But what also is really interesting is how things are ‘in the walls’ in football. You can implement some things directly, but other aspects of a game just is in the DNA of the club and will live on much longer. It’s of course not black and white, Kompany’s turnover of Burnley is a bit absurdly abrupt and effective.

georgipep

Great points!

A bit off-topic question: what do you mean by "all 20 zones"? As far as I know, there are only 18?

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
He is a brilliant manager and pragmatic coach (but this is an insult nowadays :lol: ). Feck, I’m pretty sure even DeZerbi will have to comply and get results the day he lands a top seat.

Utuhu

You want to control possession with Fred, Bruno, AWB, Mctominay etc in the team?

A lot of comedy talents here.

gajender

I 100% agree with this and the OP’s point.

The biggest difference between Pep and ETHs styles is that ETH wants players switching positions while Pep is very strict in that regard.

What needs to be realized is the fragile balance a team walks that is trying to ‘win’ possession. Old fashioned pundits have forever written off many aspects of Pep’s game as unnecessary flamboyance. Every time a goal is scored after Ederson trying to play the ball or the D trying to play up from the back it was ‘oh why does he try to play the ball there, just clear it’.

But the result is (should be) undeniable, the teams that can dominate possession even against its rivals put itself in a position to destroy those rivals. I’ve never liked to watch Pep or Barca or his style of football. But I would say that it is impossible to argue that the best way to play football right now for a contending team is to play like Mourinho does, like Conte does, and so forth.

The reason for why many claim that ETH isn’t a possession manager is because we haven’t even remotely been a possession based team this season. We are way behind City and Arsenal. Against Barca, City, Arsenal and Liverpool — over 8 games — our avg possession has been 38%.

There are two things that stand out in this regard:
(1) DDG’s distribution.
(2) The use of Rashford at LW and the amount of times we look to find him with passes in behind the D line.

As for DDG distribution — How many times a game does DDG gives away the ball in situations someone like Ter Stegen would have kept the ball within the team? 6-7? How long does each of those passes on avg result in that we have to play without the ball? Say that it’s 30 seconds, it’s 3 minutes over a game of lost possession. If effective play is 50 minutes — it’s 6% of possession lost there. 52% instead of 58%.

As for the results of playing Rashford at LW — the single biggest difference in Pep’s style of play is his use of the wingers with inverting full-backs, and wingers that drop down into a ‘passing pocket’. What, 15-20 years ago — everyone — used inverting wingers and overlapping wingbacks.

The reason you do this is just to get another advantage in the battle for possession. Like if you posse this question: What is — the safest — pass you can make from your defensive line up field? It is not an area pass into open spaces. How many times does Salah come away with the ball if LFC cross it into an open area behind the full backs? 50%? But if City’s CMs and full backs take forward centralized runs, and Bernardo Silva starting from a position high up field, moves back toward the D wide, with eye contact with the defender and can move in a direction against a pass made to him — it’s what completed 95% of the time? He is very hard to pick up.

Why is City so absurdly hard to win possession against? It’s because they have say a Grealish at LW, KDB at AMC and Silva as RW — and when they have the ball deep, they push the opponents back with centralized runs while those three all seek to get open by moving in these patterns. They become impossible to pick up more or less.

Rashford of course plays like this too. If you look for it, you will a few times per game see Shaw inverted like 15 feet from the penalty area while Rashford is down by the half way line. I wonder how many players Bernardo Silva on average has infront of him when he got the ball, 6-7?

100% due to squad reasons, we deviate from this under ETH. We very often have Rash running in behind and we seek him with area passes. This also shaves of a number of percent points from our possession. From say 58% (if we had a GK who could pass the ball) to 61-62%?

And a last point, the longer ETH is here, the better we will become at these things. But right now — we are very effective on the counter attack. Look, no matter what you think of Ole, we did those things really well under him. We will lose in those areas with time too.
I don't think We would lose effectiveness on Counter as we progress under Ten Hag , I find the notion that Teams good in possession can't be good in counter attacking bit strange , most of the top teams good in possession usually would have less opportunities to counter due to their dominance but whenever they do get into those situations they more often than not exploit them quite well and I expect same from United as well .

Oscar Bonavena

Agree with the contention that a team as poor at keeping possession as us can never win the league. Be a very dangerous team on the counterattack, win the odd big game and challenge for cups, yes, but not a 38 game league.

There are very few weak teams in the PL now, if you're ceding 50-60% possession to them on a regular basis, and losing possession in terrible positions, it's gonna cost you games. Doesn't happen with City or Arsenal.

Messier1994

The Swedish Rumble
I don't think We would lose effectiveness on Counter as we progress under Ten Hag , I find the notion that Teams good in possession can't be good in counter attacking bit strange , most of the top teams good in possession usually would have less opportunities to counter due to their dominance but whenever they do get into those situations they more often than not exploit them quite well and I expect same from United as well .
But isn’t it a matter of pure probability?

To counter attack well, you often need to make a risky pass. For every time Rash gets away along with the GK, a number of passes won’t go through.

And making high risk passes directly works against high possession.

In addition, to get those runs, to get every one on the same page, you must to some extent try that pass. If the forward gets the pass 10% of the time he makes a good run, he will probably keep making those runs. But if he gets the pass 2% of the times, the runs become fewer.

Siorac

Yeah, on the Caf I often encounter this 'Guardiola teams are dull to watch' thing and it's bizarre. We're talking about a team that scored over 100 league goals twice, and yet to finish a Premier League season without scoring at least 80. If we played that kind of football with the same results, people, myself included, would be creaming themselves non-stop.

Smores

I wouldn't class him as a possession manager personally but it's a bit of a subjective label. For me possession teams use it as a defensive tool and they'll pass until the opponent makes a mistake or creates a gap.

ETH from what I've seen favours quick aggressive passing and team movement to break the lines and create an opportunity. If being good with the ball equals a possession team then perhaps he is but I don't see it that way.

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

Great points!

But also, honestly, it’s completely underreported how many times ETH indirectly called out Bruno early during the season when we got the ball up field and Bruno instantly turned around an sent a cross that would spring Rashford, with a hit rate of like 5%.

I can’t comment on the details side of our pressing game, not knowledgeable enough. But with the ball, we are very much inspired by Pep — with the difference that ETH promotes rotations.

But what also is really interesting is how things are ‘in the walls’ in football. You can implement some things directly, but other aspects of a game just is in the DNA of the club and will live on much longer. It’s of course not black and white, Kompany’s turnover of Burnley is a bit absurdly abrupt and effective.
Bruno, with his particular skill set and the way he plays the game, is a peculiar case of a footballer. When he is your main creative force, which is the case with us, he will obviously have an impact on the way the team plays. The same can be said about your main attacking outlet (although Rashy's toolkit is more... let's say straightforward than Bruno's). Now, i'm convinced that ETH isn't a manager that puts the roles of a "system" above the player's actual abilities when this doesn't benefit the team. He's much more pliable than most possession managers in that aspect. How we'll keep nurturing what we already have at our disposal as we keep adding qualities to the first team, and to what degree, it remains to be seen. It will depend on both him and the players. But it won't be the U-turn some suspect or even expect.

I agree that the basis of his philosophy is Cruyffian. In this sense, it's natural to see similarities to Pep's use of space. The utilization of the wide areas to stretch the pitch and generate diagonal runs in-behind, the targeting of the half-spaces as the area where the best chances can be created, the need to get players from the second lines to join in the attacking plays etc. But, as mentioned earlier, ETH isn't obsessed only with the "how". He also cares about the "when", which is an approach often attached to transition football. One good example is the nuanced differences between Pep's use of a false #9 and the way Ancelotti/Zidane chose to use Benzema's unique ability to play between the lines.

You can see these things in the way he praises Casemiro's influence. He doesn't see him solely as a defensive midfielder. ETH chooses to talk about his experience and his ability to read the game well and how this allows the other midfielders to push high up the pitch, which alludes to the proactive principles on the ball you mentioned in your post. He also praised Case's ability to play the first out of the defence and the fact that he does that with quickness and purpose. That's the other part of what he's trying to teach at OT.

As for the last comment, there's certainly an element of truth to it. I think it has mostly to do with the fanbase and the things it's accustomed to. I don't find it strange that United fans are more likely to warm up to a young/raw winger like Garnacho, who constantly takes on defenders, than to someone like Antony (regardless of the price tag). Doesn't mean they have to be either right or wrong. It is what it is. Similarly, Chelsea's fans show far more acceptance to footballing pragmatism and to the players who can serve it at the highest level. After all, they are the side on which Mourinho left his mark.

Great points!

A bit off-topic question: what do you mean by "all 20 zones"? As far as I know, there are only 18?
Thanks. On many sites and books, Guardiola's division of the pitch is in 20 zones, as opposed to the traditional 18. For some others, it's just a gimmick that shouldn't matter much in the grand scheme of things. He puts great emphasis on the half-spaces, both in an attacking and a defensive manner.

Abraxas

My impression from his words is he wants to play possession football, but he wants to also play with a high tempo, playing forward, taking some risks. I don't think he wants possession in a slow manner just for the sake of possession and I don't think he would ever play like Pep where control of the ball is almost an end game in and of itself. He wants the possession to come from winning the ball back quickly, high up the pitch and not allowing opponents time, and then naturally we control the ball. But it's not really about possession numbers by themselves.

The problem right now of course is we don't have everything down. The press is much improved but not perfect. When we play forward we waste the ball a hell of a lot. We're not very patient and lack technical individuals in a lot of positions. So I think there's a lot of reasons we don't take on the appearence of a team trying to dominate possession.