Where to fit Pogba?

billybee99

Poor lad fecked up badly in Astana didn't he, what was he thinking?
I'm talking about the Premier League. But if you want to big up Lingard with stats against cannon fodder teams in meaningless games, by all means do so. In the Premier League, he's 2 weeks away from celebrating 1 year without a goal. That you think that this is acceptable or worth defending is bizarre.

Brightonian

I'd probably take £150m for him, but that doesn't mean he doesn't slot straight into the side at #10, no questions asked. We're talking about replacing Lingard, Pereira or Mata here, it's not a difficult sell.

Suedesi

Premiership is a different animal bro, if PSG try riding it they'll get bucked. They'd probably finish top 4 within 3 seasons though I reckon.
We'll never know, and yours is pure conjecture. I'd say on evidence of their recent showings against English clubs in the CL they would contend for the title.

Red00012

I doubt Ole is that dumb. Fred is simply a more complete player than Pogba. Pogba has never dominated a full game the way Fred has the last two games against Tottenham and City. Was excellent against PSG last season and I always maintain Ole's greatest oversight this season was benching Fred for the first month .
Relax Fred has played well in 2 games that we won. We draw or lose v Everton and Fred is useless again.

SaintMuppet

No. Try this first:

McT - Fred
James - Pogba - Rashford
Martial
If that doesn’t work then sell, invest and move on. I reckon that combo would be brill.
He has already indicated he wants to move on. If the hearts not in it then move along and somebody else can pay his wages.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
He has already indicated he wants to move on. If the hearts not in it then move along and somebody else can pay his wages.
I agree but what if he can’t go in January? What if he starts enjoying his football in a new team that feels like it may actually be going somewhere? What if by the end of the season he’s changed his mind and wants to stay while playing great football surrounded by the speed of Rashford, DJ and Martial? What if mate?

SaintMuppet

I agree but what if he can’t go in January? What if he starts enjoying his football in a new team that feels like it may actually be going somewhere? What if by the end of the season he’s changed his mind and wants to stay while playing great football surrounded by the speed of Rashford, DJ and Martial? What if mate?
That’s a lot of what ifs!

What if our current form falters and we are back to being 10th or lower??? See anyone can play this game.

To answer IF he has a change of heart he better damn well show it on the pitch! That’s where it counts

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
That’s a lot of what ifs!
Yes it is, life itself is one big list of 'what ifs' and I like it that way!

What if our current form falters and we are back to being 10th or lower??? See anyone can play this game.
Then we (the club) have to look at what Ole is doing and decide whether he is the right man for the job. I've long been of the opinion he has looked out of his depth but while results and performances improve, I'm also willing to let him get on with it.

To answer IF he has a change of heart he better damn well show it on the pitch! That’s where it counts
100% agreed. I'm no PP lover by the way, while I have no doubt the guy is mega talented and with hindsight, was he worth anywhere near what we paid for him? No. Have we got our moneys worth? No way, but what if ... ?

Denis' cuff

What if he miraculously and conveniently gets back to full fitness in about two weeks time but nobody comes up with the readies for him? Highly likely. Then, end of January, suddenly has a recurrence of the "ankle injury" which comes good again around the end of April? Highly likely.

feck off Poggers and take that odious slob of an adviser with you.

Wedge

Supports
a soft spot for Ajax
What if he miraculously and conveniently gets back to full fitness in about two weeks time but nobody comes up with the readies for him? Highly likely. Then, end of January, suddenly has a recurrence of the "ankle injury" which comes good again around the end of April? Highly likely.

Most likely outcome, and he can take the fat slob of an agent with him. I'd love to personally tell Pogba you've flopped at United and being in the prem.

Judas

Open to offers

This theory doesn't suit anyone whatsoever though. Not the selling club, the buyer or the player. It's just typical Pogba hate guff.

Foxbatt

Push Pogba where Lingard and Pereira were playing. It would also create a lot more space for Martial, Rashford and James. Pogba has to be more tightly marked than any other player and probably they have to put two to mark him around the box. It would be less pressure on our midfield and our defense. He is no slouch and can shoot a lot better from long range than either Lingard or Periera. Also a threat on free kicks and corners.
I hope Ole doesn't drop Fred or McTominay to bring back Pogba.

hmchan

As a Pogba fan, I am also looking forward to seeing him back, but in my opinion his best position is not no. 10. His strengths are his (1) physical ability, allowing him to hold onto ball; (2) dribbling skills to bring the ball from back to front; (3) ridiculous passing range for quick transition. This skill set means he is more suitable for a deeper role responsible for organizing attack as well as antipressing, instead of a purely offensive duty.

On the other hand, he has certain weaknesses if he is played as a no. 10. His preference in dwelling onto ball sometimes delays attack and misses the best attacking opportunity. He is also not known for his pace, which may put him on a different wavelength against his teammates like James and Rashford. His inconsistency is another worry if we regard him as a no. 10.

Of course, Fred and McTominay's impressive performance in recent matches shouldn't be left unnoticed. It would be interesting to see how Ole arranges the gametime among them. In my opinion, we have already been lacking depth in midfield, it would be unwise to start all of them at the same time, especially with the upcoming congested fixtures.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
PSG will struggle to get into top 4 in England.
The same PSG with Mbappe and Neymar?

PSG may not be good as Liverpool or City, but they would surely be at least level above the rest and challenge on all fronts. They have a deep squad and world-class players.

RedorDead21

Does he suit our current fast transitions? I always think of him as dawdling too long on the ball more so than anyone else in our team if I’m honest. If anyone’s getting tackled because they’ve got themselves in a spot it’s usually Paul. I would say he opens us up a lot to the counter himself. Perhaps as the AM this won’t happen as much? I think for the cash we would get for him we could buy an actual top drawer AM and a striker.

RedorDead21

2 good results, Pogba shouldn't play for us at all as he won't suit us.

Few bad results, we miss Pogba's quality to unlock defenses.

We play on quick counters and there isn't anyone in the squad who has the passing range of Pogba, he doesn't even need to play as midfield 2 to pass from deep, #10 for us drop deeper and then link the play, Pogba should be part of our best 11 and that should be in midfield 3.
We are playing some very direct football and him in the AM role could actually hinder that. He would no doubt want everything through him instead and he’d make it easier to stop for the opposition when not on his game. Which let’s be honest, is too often.

MrSingh2002

Number 10 with Fred and McTominay behind him.

I felt that was our best midfield 3 when we signed Fred but they haven't been picked enough together. Its clear as day now and if Pogba doesn't work in that system then he has to be moved on because he doesn't want to play as a 6 or 8. Even though he has the talent to be a success in either position. Discipline is his issue so number 10 is the only position for him.

hmchan

Actually I'm quite surprised that so many think Pogba would hinder our counter-attacking football. Yes he doesn't have lightning pace, and yes he likes to dawdle on the ball at times, but don't forget about his ridiculous passing range and athleticism. Over the past few years he has brought us so many goals from fast break, including James' goal against Chelsea this season. His delicate through passes behind the opposition's defence is also crucial for runners to chase.

Red Royal

I think the problem with Pogba is the respect (or rather lack of) that he shows to his team mates. Obviously I dont know the guy and I actually think behind the mask of his Instagram world he may be a really decent humble guy. However all the handwaving and feet stamping when things dont go his way must p155 of the likes of Rashford, Martial and co.

He isnt the 1st and wont be the last, but when it came from say Rooney, at least you saw him willing to give his absolute best on the pitch every single game.

When Zlatan was here it appeared that Pogba had great respect for him on the pitch... and replacing Jose wilth Ole probably had reinforced Pogba thinking (knowing?) he is the most important player.

When things go well then Pogba is probably great for the team, but we need someone to step up and have the balls to tell hom to improve if he isnt giving everything. At the moment I only see Maguire remotely capable of doing that now that he is settled in. Possibly Rashford in a while if he continues his upward trajectory. It may be an area to think abiut when we mext go into the transfer market.... look for a leader on the pitch to drag Pogba (and Martial) out of their occasional sulking.

Beans

Supports
Neutral
Strange this thread was closed and we were told to post in the player performance thread, but this one is allowed.

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/play-pogba-number-10.450258

Anyway, I think Fred's emergence will force Pogba to play as a 10, and I think it could be the beginning of something special. He'll enjoy the position more, and if we finish top 4 while continuing to beat the top teams, I think he'll stay.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Apparently not good enough to get into this midfield. Hopefully back next week.

Kag

As always, he walks back into the team with a blindfold and one leg.

As always, he’s the best player at the club by an absolute mile.

Canagel

Don't bring him back, he doesn't run like Lingard and Mctominay

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Where to fit Pogba :lol:

As it's always been, it's Pogba, then the rest of the team.

Irwin99

It's not a dumb question to ask, if you stick him in a midfield two he can be infuriating with his ball losses and running down blind alleys. The first few games of the season with Mctom were not great- 5 points from 4 games i think.

There's a role for him in this team as an advanced 8/number 10 i think. His best form at the club was with Matic and Herrera doing a lot of the work and allowing him to concentrate on creating and getting on the end of chances. I'm hoping Fred and Mctom can help him in this regard. On paper that actually looks a decent midfield.

Devil81

Keep Fred and Mctomminey as the works horses and let Pogba become a creative beast behind our front three.

Cloud7

Does anyone know exactly what injury is it that he has? We’re almost halfway through the season and I feel like he’s barely played at all.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Keep Fred and Mctomminey as the works horses and let Pogba become a creative beast behind our front three.
Until the end of the season, where we upgrade that duo too. And if Pogba is to leave then he will also need replacing.