Where to for Memphis?

ADJUDICATOR

Supports
THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD
A year back Memphis was maybe behind just Sterling as one of the more popular wide prospects in football. We've now been through the hype, the suspicions, the realisations and the jeers.

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/predictions-for-depays-debut-season.405320/
Will have a tough time adjusting to the Premier League in his first season. A lot of fans will write him off as overrated.
Just hope he doesn't turn into another Di Maria. With these types of players it's really easy for their dribbling to not work out, their confidence drops and they begin to do stupid things and give away the ball.
Immediate starter or squad player?
Sub. Will have hope to Young's form dips for him to start games.

Will he be seen as another player that Van Gaal has misused (ie Di Maria, Rooney)?
No. However, he might be seen as an unnecessary signing when people realize he's not much of a creator.

How many goals will he score?

Out of ten, how good of a season, on a personal level, will he have?
He will start as a sub with Young (at least) ahead of him. I don’t think he will be a starter in first half of the season, we still have Di Maria/Nani and Januzaj.

Will not be misused as he isn’t very versatile, although I expect van Gaal to play him a few times as a striker to see that it doesn’t work and he will go back to attacking wide player position.

Will score 5, assist 3. 6/10 season.

I don’t know if people really rate him that high to say he will get 20 G+A or it’s just because they are exited.
Unless he seriously impresses in the pre-season as others have said, Young will be given the go ahead, at least initially, before Depay is bled into the starting lineup. They'll be on rotation for the remainder depending on form, fitness, tactics etc.

Will he be seen as another player that Van Gaal has misused (ie Di Maria, Rooney)?
Not really. It's difficult to misuse a player like Depay who seems to have a skill set largely only relevant to that left wing / forward slot. He will play a similar role to Young, with more license to dip inside and shoot.

Between 5 and 15, with the higher bound representing a successful season and lower representing struggle. I think it will be within that range.

6-7 out of 10. New league, new environment, new teammates, new experience etc. He will have a lot going for him when it's judgement time, but he definitely seems to have the work ethic and drive to at least try. I doubt anyone will really be awed by his ability or potential, but I'd be glad to be wrong and see him take to the league like Alexis Sanchez in the earlier half of the season.
Wow, a lot of expectation placed on him!

Personally, I'm expecting no more than 5 goals and at a stretch, 7-10 assists.

Edit: Hope I'm proven wrong! And I see him getting #17
Yeah, I know my prediction was super safe.
https://www.redcafe.net/threads/memphis-aspires-to-be-the-king.407668/
https://www.redcafe.net/threads/memphis-finally-a-worthy-7.408124/

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/mirror-memphis-for-sale.416895/

We signed him in the hope that he would establish himself as a key player in our attack for years to come, bringing the natural strengths of a wide goalscorer to the side. He definitely hasn't had the best season, though some of the criticism levelled at him has been harsh imo. We've seen glimpses of his strengths (athleticism, positivity from range and good movement) against more inferior opposition but are rightly wondering whether he can ever consistently demonstrate the same on a higher level, or if it is even enough to have such a small set of skills.

(Bearing in mind Martial has now eclipsed him in his natural left-forward role) What now for our #7 in terms of his prospects in the team? Will he be satisfied with shedding the weight of the shirt, knuckling down and secure a squad role in the side under Mourinho? And, how do we think he'll do under Mourinho in a now critical season?

endless_wheelies

feeling dizzy
Mourinho likes his powerful attacking players so he'll get a fresh chance to impress anew next season.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Loan to Southampton to see if he can cut it with a regular run of games. At the very least it will add a few quid to his transfer value.

Lentwood

I would like to see him get an extended run at #10 - remember, the #10 position was originally coined by strikers who were comfortable dropping that bit deeper but were still capable of scoring 15+ goals. Not failed midfielders! (Mata, Herrera, Kagawa etc....) which is were i strongly believe we have been going wrong in the last few seaaons

Man of Leisure

Threatened by women who like sex.
I would like to see him get an extended run at #10 - remember, the #10 position was originally coined by strikers who were comfortable dropping that bit deeper but were still capable of scoring 15+ goals. Not failed midfielders! (Mata, Herrera, Kagawa etc....) which is were i strongly believe we have been going wrong in the last few seaaons
Would not like to see him pulling the strings as a 10 at all. Don't think it'd be the best use of his attributes, and would actually highlight his worst, which is decision-making.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Weren't PSG interested in him last season?
"I spoke to Liverpool, they were really concrete, but because of an injury in their team they wanted to wait a bit," Depay told Dutch newspaper AD, as posted on his official Facebook page.

"After that, Paris Saint Germain came. They were really concrete too... It's quite hard, because as a footballer, you're not in control of everything. Some clubs wait with putting together their team until the summer arrives, while we were already negotiating in May.

"With SEG, my agency, I sat down and considered everything, but then Manchester United came. Very quick and very direct. At that moment you immediately know: this is it. This is the absolute top. As a club, but also the league."
http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/memphis-de...-liverpool-psg-join-manchester-united-1534880

United should propose a Marquinhos/ Rabiot exchange deal. :)

Devil may care

It's going to be difficult for him, he's struggled to get any joy playing his natural position, I can't see Jose experimenting with him in other roles either, he has bigger fish to fry.

Lentwood

Would not like to see him pulling the strings as a 10 at all. Don't think it'd be the best use of his attributes, and would actually highlight his worst, which is decision-making.
A #10 doesn't pull the strings! This is my point. Your central midfielders should be "pulling the strings". The #10 in my opinion should be a 2nd striker, albeit one who drops slightly deeper and gets on the ball, as opposed to a #9 who plays on the shoulder. Also, I don't agree that Memphis' decision-making is necassarily any worse than the majority of our forward players just don't think being stuck out on a flank getting chalk on his boots suits him

ADJUDICATOR

Supports
THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD
We've seen him play okay at best as a forward and just behind the forward. A big problem for us this season has been generating chances and getting touches/controlling the play in the opposition's final third. That + Memphis' greatest weaknesses (decision-making, erratic performance in tight spaces, not creative) doesn't bode well for a long term #10 role, especially when our chief controllers in midfield (Schweinsteiger/Carrick) are only getting worse.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Didn't even meet the very low expectations I had for him. Should be sold to whoever is stupid enough to want him. Should never have signed him.

Shirt number?
Don't care.

Sub. Will have hope to Young's form dips for him to start games.

No. However, he might be seen as an unnecessary signing when people realize he's not much of a creator.

Lentwood

We've seen him play okay at best as a forward and just behind the forward. A big problem for us this season has been generating chances and getting touches/controlling the play in the opposition's final third. That + Memphis' greatest weaknesses (decision-making, erratic performance in tight spaces, not creative) doesn't bode well for a long term #10 role, especially when our chief controllers in midfield (Schweinsteiger/Carrick) are only getting worse.
But we can't have it both ways. If you want a #10 who floats around passing it to the full backs and retaining possession then lets keep Juan Mata. I think Depay has been FAR from our worst player this season and tries to make things happen which is surely what we want from an attacking player?

Havak

Pokemon master
I'd like to see him given a chance from the bench and in some Europa League games until January. If he impresses or finds his way into the first team, great. If not, loan him to a Premier League team for the rest of the season. I don't think we should start a trend of selling players after one season of them not hitting the expectation (even if Memphis' case is miles off it).

Ixion

Keep him around and see if Mourinho can get the best out of him. His first season in the league was always going to be difficult and he shouldn't have been in the starting XI immediately, we should have gradually introduced him.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
He was so confident at the beginning of the season. LVG just sucked that out of him as well and he became a shadow of a player for the rest of the season. Hopefully he gets a proper chance under Mou to showcase his talents. If Mou can somehow mould him into a right winger that would be awesome with him on the right and Martial on the left.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
I reckon he'd work better with a more direct style with more room to run at players - he's more of a Bale dribbler than a Naniesque one. The problem however I reckon his favoured position is also Martial's, an inside left, that said if Martial went central he could have a shot at it.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
He should be more comfortable in a counter attacking set up and we need bodies upfront.

ADJUDICATOR

Supports
THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD
But we can't have it both ways. If you want a #10 who floats around passing it to the full backs and retaining possession then lets keep Juan Mata. I think Depay has been FAR from our worst player this season and tries to make things happen which is surely what we want from an attacking player?
Why not? We've seen Ozil and Alli, and to a lesser extent De Bruyne / Payet both providing chances and producing end product from that position. Might not be a simple matter but it is just one of getting the right quality of player who already knows and thrives in that role, with all the necessary tools. And, yeah it's always good for a player to be more positive than passive in possession (hugs Mata) but the onus is on the player to give enough a reason to be allowed that freedom. Memphis hasn't this season.

Distracted Steward

No way he leaves.
  • He how's power and pace to play wide in a 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 under Mourinho.
  • The fresh start will do him wonders.
  • We saw poor form, not insufficient quality.
With no Euros, a new manager and an apparent readiness to do better, he will come good where he is.

Coxy

So many of your players have been stifled under van gaal.

If mourinho joins - I can see depay and also schiderlin flourish - the talent is still there

GloryHunter07

He needs to sort his work ethic out, then he might stand a chance. Should be an option as an impact sub next year.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Mourinho has the experience of a similar aged young inside forward (Robben & Hazard at Chelsea) so knows how to develop this type of player in the PL deliver amazing effects.

I think Memphis will be one of the first players Mourinho will focus his energies on and am confident he will turn him into a world beater.

NinjaFletch

Mourinho likes his powerful attacking players so he'll get a fresh chance to impress anew next season.
Mourinho might like powerful attacking players.

But he definitely doesn't like slow, work shy show-ponies with an inflated sense of self worth.

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
He'll get a chance to prove himself next season. If he can do great, if not then he goes the following, far to many writing him off as if he was some sort of fraud. He was being courted by Liverpool and PSG and chose to come to us. He was a stunning player in the dutch league and had a great world cup. The only young player to have a better one was James. So we wait and see. Bring in competition and its up to him to rise to the occasion.