Where to for Memphis?

mewnew11

I think he did ok. He is a different player when the team plays his type of football. having Mikhitaryan playing helps someone likes a Memphis because he makes some good runs behind actually. The issue with the team is there is so much side passing that people hardly find him.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
No point judging him on today's game but I've said since before we signed him, he can't dribble.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
I think he did ok. He is a different player when the team plays his type of football. having Mikhitaryan playing helps someone likes a Memphis because he makes some good runs behind actually. The issue with the team is there is so much side passing that people hardly find him.
His shooting, dribbling, crossing, speed all below top level, he can run behind all he wants.
Yup, United should've kept Nani and Welbeck imo.
Totally agree

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Didn't he take Di Maria's place? And his shirt number?
The number makes no odds to me, neither does di Maria who wasn't an out and out winger anyway.

We still let Nani go and brought in Memphis for the wing.

Jackylad

Class act? What class has he demonstrated? A loan move would be a good method so as not to regret selling someone who might become a "class act". We should look to loan him to a Sunderland/Bournemouth/Stoke kind of team and see what he can do in the Premier league because I am human enough to admit the pressure of United is unreal so lets see what he can do with lower expectation
Yeah, that's fair enough - a loan would make sense but I'd still give him a chance early on to see whether he can turn it round.

I'm not saying he's is a "class act", just that he could become one, mainly based on what he did before he signed for us.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
I'm not saying he's is a "class act", just that he could become one, mainly based on what he did before he signed for us.
He performed well, for one season, in a weak Dutch league. Is there anything else he did, which I am unaware of?
He then played many games for us - LVG gave him chances and he demonstrated that he is not yet ready for the EPL

I think a loan move to a lower EPL club would be best, for everybody, but I just don't see this happening.
Either he will play OR he will get sold.

Jackylad

He performed well, for one season, in a weak Dutch league. Is there anything else he did, which I am unaware of?
He then played many games for us - LVG gave him chances and he demonstrated that he is not yet ready for the EPL

I think a loan move to a lower EPL club would be best, for everybody, but I just don't see this happening.
Either he will play OR he will get sold.
Nope, that's all I know of him as well. The fact that he played in a weak league is fair comment, but in cases like this you have to sign based on potential, which is hard to quantify. He's still young, and he can still improve, and I hope that he does, but it's looking less and less likely unfortunately.

krazyrobus

If you gonna play winger at the highest level you need to be a top class dribbler or top class passer. It's too late to learn to dribble so h3 has to learn how to be a good passer. I don't see him developing that anytime soon.

MD7

His shooting, dribbling, crossing, speed all below top level, he can run behind all he wants.
Against Wigan he did some good crossing, and when you compare the distance shooting from Herrera and Memphis last game, Memphis comes out on top.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
There's nothing wrong with Memphis - the natural talent is there just as it was before, he just needs a psychological reboot, which is entirely possible under Mourinho. This applies to other players like Jones, Januzaj, and Rooney as well.

RedStarUnited

I just think this is a signing that isn't going to work out. Some do, some don't. We certainly can't hang on to him hoping like we did with Anderson!!
Always say this, Anderson in his first 2 years was an abled and reliable performer. He played in nearly all our big games and could be depended on to shut down some of the best midfielders. He earned Sir Alex's patience after he went down hill. Memphis hasn't earned anything for us right now.

There's nothing wrong with Memphis - the natural talent is there just as it was before, he just needs a psychological reboot, which is entirely possible under Mourinho. This applies to other players like Jones, Januzaj, and Rooney as well.
What are these things that he is talented at?

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Against Wigan he did some good crossing, and when you compare the distance shooting from Herrera and Memphis last game, Memphis comes out on top.
Comparing him with Herrera has nothing to do with his own level. Not sure what you're getting at re distance shooting either, I seen him have one shot from distance and that went wide.

I'd love you to be right about Memphis and that Mou can get more out of him, sadly I disagree about natural skill level, I've never seen it there before other than a few free kicks he scored, I'm sure a lot of wingers can do a few step overs and beat a full back in his last league, I just don't think he has 'it' to be a winger at United.
Januzaj has got the natural skill and flair, all just my opinion of course

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Comparing him with Herrera has nothing to do with his own level. Not sure what you're getting at re distance shooting either, I seen him have one shot from distance and that went wide.

I'd love you to be right about Memphis and that Mou can get more out of him, sadly I disagree about natural skill level, I've never seen it there before other than a few free kicks he scored, I'm sure a lot of wingers can do a few step overs and beat a full back in his last league, I just don't think he has 'it' to be a winger at United.
Januzaj has got the natural skill and flair, all just my opinion of course
I agree that Januzaj has a lot of natural talent as well, but I get the impression there is something wrong with his mental game that will severely hinder him reaching his potential. He strikes me as someone who could've been fixed by Fergie had he stayed on a bit longer. Mourinho may be able to as well, but there are just too many other players around this year, so unless Adnan takes the bull by the horns and forces his way into the starting XI, its off on loan with an almost certain sale next summer.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Always say this, Anderson in his first 2 years was an abled and reliable performer. He played in nearly all our big games and could be depended on to shut down some of the best midfielders. He earned Sir Alex's patience after he went down hill. Memphis hasn't earned anything for us right now.

What are these things that he is talented at?
The same things he had when we bought him. His problem is in no way related to a lack of natural talent, its strictly one of psychology.

RedStarUnited

The same things he had when we bought him. His problem is in no way related to a lack of natural talent, its strictly one of psychology.
I never watched PSV so I honestly dont know what he is meant to be good at. Finishing I guess judging by his goal numbers, but what else?

Speak

Step up to my misogyny soapbox
I never watched PSV so I honestly dont know what he is meant to be good at. Finishing I guess judging by his goal numbers, but what else?
Even his goal numbers don't truly indicate that he's a talented finisher. I think it's more a case of him taking a lot of shots and being too good for the Dutch league. He will rarely ever be able to take so many shots again, so it remains to be seen how many goals he scores now he's playing stronger teams every week.

He's a relatively powerful runner, very occasionally hits a very hard and accurate shot, is a bit too clumsy and bulky to dribble past anyone with a degree of agility and defensive nous, and he's almost useless from standstill. And works pretty much in straight lines.

Like Hulk but right-footed. And I'd take a guess that Hulk's top level is about Memphis' ceiling.

ryan_forlan

Gullible
We have two wide positions, that means 4 or 5 players in the squad for that.
Martial, Mkhitaryan are two players who definitely be a part of that 4-5 players.
Are we comfortable with Memphis, lingard and Adnan as the other three? If Mou does not see Valencia as a right-back, then it means we have to keep 2 or three out of the following:
Adnan, Memphis, Lingard, Young, Valencia.
I prefer Valencia over lingard, but Lingard is young and a local, so, IMO we should keep the following:
Lingard, Young, New_Signing(young and sub 20 million)
Sell: Valencia
Loan out: Adnan and Memphis. (Mou generally does loan out first team players a lot).

Ideally we would have expected one out of Adnan and Memphis to take up that spot being occupied by the new signing, but neither has done enough to be expected to be a constant threat. I know it's early days, but i expected more out of Memphis in the wigan game

marukomu

The Gatekeeper
I was going to post some RAWK comments slagging him off, but I agree with them.

marukomu

The Gatekeeper
Let's hope this is a good year for him. I'm willing to give him another chance. He can't be any worse.

Andre Kagawa

I'm still not sure we even received the right player we paid for. Sure, I mostly watched his highlight reels, statistics and a couple of games with NL before the transfers but honestly? The difference is staggering and looking at players like Luis Suarez the gap between the leagues surely can't be that huge.

He just looks completely terrified of fecking up. Hopefully José can boost his confidence a bit but I doubt he got the patience sadly. I actually thought Memphis would be the bigger success of him and Martial. Huge disappointment.

Stacks

I'm still not sure we even received the right player we paid for. Sure, I mostly watched his highlight reels, statistics and a couple of games with NL before the transfers but honestly? The difference is staggering and looking at players like Luis Suarez the gap between the leagues surely can't be that huge.

He just looks completely terrified of fecking up. Hopefully José can boost his confidence a bit but I doubt he got the patience sadly. I actually thought Memphis would be the bigger success of him and Martial. Huge disappointment.
It really can. Just means Suarez was and always will be a great player regardless where he plays. We have had enough so-called stars of the Dutch league. Its a poor league that temporarily houses great players but also fairly average players who look great over there. There is a reason they are all met with caution and must prove themselves when they come over. ANy league that permits 36 year old Dirk Kuyt to score 19 goals has a quality problem. Dirk Kuyt was known to not score goals in England hence why we credited his "workrate, running" etc

UnitedBoy

Redcafe Yahoo Pool champion 2007
Not only was it first game of pressure season, but it's his first game since as long as I can remember. Once he finds some rhythm then we can judge, I expect him to play as much as possible pretty season.