g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Which England player will let everyone down?

spiriticon

He had a couple of slightly poor licks in the semi, other than that he’s done everything right.

of course if we have to pick someone most likely to make a match defining mistake, it’s likely to be the keeper. No matter who he is.
Nah that’s nonsense. I don’t rate Pickford but he’s been superb the whole tournament up until the Denmark game where he looked like a deer in the headlights and clearly shat the bed. That’s still a massive concern for the final but we don’t need to make up some revisionist stuff about the rest of the tournament.
Really?! I must be the only one who thinks he's had nervy moments in the group stages as well...especially with those clearances. Oh well...

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
With infinite time, infinite monkeys and infinite typewriters. The headline will be England Win!
:lol: Its 50:50

I wanted you guys to win for the nice fans and our players but the way the Caf has gone since and that stuff against the fans after all the games I’ve realised I feel this way for a reason. Your fans are bad losers and probably even worse winners (if it actually happens) Forza Italia!

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Pickford is the obvious candidate. I don't trust his temperament at all and obviously goalkeepers have more potential for game-defining mistakes.

:lol: Its 50:50

I wanted you guys to win for the nice fans and our players but the way the Caf has gone since and that stuff against the fans after all the games I’ve realised I feel this way for a reason. Your fans are bad losers and probably even worse winners (if it actually happens) Forza Italia!
How are England fans bad losers, we haven’t lost anything yet!

All normal England fans want to do, is to enjoy the fact we have got to the final.

seems some people on the internet, can’t understand that, and don’t seem to like it.

Bertie 2 Hats

There'll be no English spacegoat tomorrow night... only an Italian one.. Gianluigi Donnarumma :)

Solskjær's Red Army

Supports
United & Rot-Weiss Essen
Sterling or Harry Maguire. They're bottlers of the highest order. Kane is not far away either.

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
Walker and Stones vs Insigne. Bound to be a feck up in there at some point in the game. Hopefully Insigne skies it when he goes one on one with Pickford.

Southgate again. He couldn't miss it himself this time, so he sent 3 kids on to make sure it was done for him.

I'm so angry about it too. Our brand new signing is going to start his United career under a cloud now and one of our best players has just topped off a difficult season with a European final penalty miss, all because Southgate froze on a decision any Sunday league manager could make.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Southgate again. He couldn't miss it himself this time, so he sent 3 kids on to make sure it was done for him.

I'm so angry about it too. Our brand new signing is going to start his United career under a cloud now and one of our best players has just topped off a difficult season with a European final penalty miss, all because Southgate froze on a decision any Sunday league manager could make.
I just spat out my juice reading that :lol:

We all knew Southgate was fecking this up. I'm pretty sure anyone who wasn't swept up by the buzz/hype around the team can see he was a clueless idiot. I think his tactics in the Germany game was the only time he got it right. Every other game, even the ones you won, it was in spite of him not because of him.

In terms of players, I thought Pickford was a timebomb waiting to explode but he was actually really good. Can leave with his head held high. For me, the biggest flops were:

In the final: Kane and Sterling.
Overall: Sancho (no fault of his own).

Kaizane

He didn't exactly let anyone down but why is nobody talking about just how much of a passenger Mason Mount was in every game he played?

Stacks

He'll move on as they all do
He didn't exactly let anyone down but why is nobody talking about just how much of a passenger Mason Mount was in every game he played?
Not his fault the manager likes picking a player who does very little

Kaizane

You must have half this forum on ignore!
Hah. Fair enough.

You're right, it isn't his fault his manager didn't have the balls to try someone else. Must have been due to the severe lack of alternatives available.............

Siezard

Southgate.

He was too attached to his players when they didn't perform well. He should have subbed out Sterling much earlier and scolded Kane, Sterling and Mount for strolling on the pitch.

He should have played Sancho earlier and get another striker to change the game: probably Ollie Watkins (who isn't in the tournament) or DCL.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Saw a brilliant comment on reddit the other day, or something like this anyway.

Southgate: I wish I’d had therapy for penalty miss that still gives me anxiety 25 years later

Also Southgate: I’m going to give this 19 year old kid the deciding penalty kick in the most important moment of English football in half a century.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Southgate.

He was too attached to his players when they didn't perform well. He should have subbed out Sterling much earlier and scolded Kane, Sterling and Mount for strolling on the pitch.

He should have played Sancho earlier and get another striker to change the game: probably Ollie Watkins (who isn't in the tournament) or DCL.
Surely you mean he should have rotated them instead of playing them pretty much the whole tournament? A bit like Ole here. Reluctant to take the stabilisers off to the eventual detriment of the team and the squad as a whole

Showing belief in your first 11 is admirable. Showing belief in your squad is smart.

padzilla

Hipster
I would say the only ones who truly let England down were the fans who misbehaved so badly. Yes Southgate made some poor choices and was afraid to hook his favourites in the final even though it was obvious he had a stellar bench with loads of options, but he has never been and never will be an elite manager. To take a team to the final given his obvious lack of tactical acumen or balls, for want of a better word, is more than could reasonably expected of him.

redshaw

So it was Southgate that ended up being the goat from outer space.

djembatheking

I would say the only ones who truly let England down were the fans who misbehaved so badly. Yes Southgate made some poor choices and was afraid to hook his favourites in the final even though it was obvious he had a stellar bench with loads of options, but he has never been and never will be an elite manager. To take a team to the final given his obvious lack of tactical acumen or balls, for want of a better word, is more than could reasonably expected of him.
I agree mate , I am massively proud of everyone involved to take one of the youngest squads to a european final and ending up losing out to a top quality experienced Italian side that are undefeated in 30 odd games and managed by a proven winner in Mancini is a fantastic achievement. The squad is young enough to keep improving and hopefully everything goes well in the qualifiers for Qatar and if we make it we can at least hope for a run to the quarters or semis.
No one let us down , thats for sure.

Stacks

I agree mate , I am massively proud of everyone involved to take one of the youngest squads to a european final and ending up losing out to a top quality experienced Italian side that are undefeated in 30 odd games and managed by a proven winner in Mancini is a fantastic achievement. The squad is young enough to keep improving and hopefully everything goes well in the qualifiers for Qatar and if we make it we can at least hope for a run to the quarters or semis.
No one let us down , thats for sure.
on the flip side we are ranked 4th in the world, didn't play anyone above us and had a clean run to the finals. My flatmate said whoever wins out of us and Germany get to the final so it was expected. Also, some our players played in the WC and Italy didn;t even qualify so are they had a number of less experienced players playing for them although their manaher is better. We also have mulitple CL finalist and winners so people need to stop pretending we were minnows going along for the ride. Its irritating. A good manager would have possibly been able to dispose of the Italians. I mean there was only 45 mins left to win it

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
on the flip side we are ranked 4th in the world, didn't play anyone above us and had a clean run to the finals. My flatmate said whoever wins out of us and Germany get to the final so it was expected. Also, some our players played in the WC and Italy didn;t even qualify so are they had a number of less experienced players playing for them although their manaher is better. We also have mulitple CL finalist and winners so people need to stop pretending we were minnows going along for the ride. Its irritating. A good manager would have possibly been able to dispose of the Italians. I mean there was only 45 mins left to win it
Sense.

djembatheking

All true , but it is small margins . I agree with most views that we should have gone for it a bit more at the end , but we still don`t know how it would have turned out . The italians defended very well at the end though , didn`t fly into tackles around the box , slowed the game down with niggly fouls and were a lot calmer with their penalties . It is all opinions and we all want the same thing but I am proud of what they achieved as much as I am disappointed that we didn`t go one better . Great tournament overall with some great moments . There is a big improvement in the England set up and I am sure Southgate is a part of it but needs help with his in game management .

harrington

Supports
Aston Villa
My flatmate said whoever wins out of us and Germany get to the final so it was expected.
To be fair to the rest of us, we don't all have Nostradamus as a flatmate. Plus some of us can recall a fair number of instances when teams playing in World Cup and Euros knockout matches couldn't manage to deliver different gradations of the 'expected' (Brazil in 1982 vs Italy; Germany in 1994 vs Bulgaria; Italy in 2002 vs South Korea, Portugal in 2004 vs Greece and, yes, England in 2016 vs Iceland). In reality there are no certain givens, certainly not these days.

Stacks

To be fair to the rest of us, we don't all have Nostradamus as a flatmate. Plus some of us can recall a fair number of instances when teams playing in World Cup and Euros knockout matches couldn't manage to deliver different gradations of the 'expected' (Brazil in 1982 vs Italy; Germany in 1994 vs Bulgaria; Italy in 2002 vs South Korea, Portugal in 2004 vs Greece and, yes, England in 2016 vs Iceland). In reality there are no certain givens, certainly not these days.
Ok but when they do as expected do you claim "you are proud of the boys"

harrington

Supports
Aston Villa
I'm not big on 'having it large' or mocking fans of losing teams or ascribing heroic qualities to players based on their nationality (or singing horrible songs about lions on shirts). I love the feeling when England win because it's much better than the feeling when they lose. I don't feel triumphant when England win a big match, I feel sheer relief.