Which midfielder should we buy to give Pogba more freedom

TrebleFan99

Radja Nainggolan.

Looks like he might be off to China which is too bad. He would be a great option for a few seasons and still have some sell on value.

Thelyonking1

We should Defo bring in Vidal proper no 8 would complete our midfield I’d love that

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Tbh I really, really like what I’ve seen of this Barella kid. I’m going to watch him more, but he looks to have everything, and should be easy enough to acquire.

I want someone reasonably high profile and expensive though, as I want a player who comes in demanding to start weekly. For me, 4-3-3 should be the default formation, so if we signed Kroos for example, that’s what we’ll play. If we get someone from France for £30m like Seri, I can still see the whole ‘for certain games’ thing happening.

Anyway, from a footballing point of view, I want Kovacic, although Barella looks very interesting too.

kr0nix

Sergei Milinkovic-Savic looks like a superb talent, but we could possibly end up getting something akin to the infamous Gerrard-Lampard partnership at England level. Having said that, didn't Mourinho try desperately hard to make that happen at Chelsea?

rpg

Signing of Sanches who is world class will shore up the club's attack and would afford Man Utd to play 3 in midfield which would help Pogba contribute more to attack. More often this and last season we been playing 4-2-3-1 partly because we lacked top quality up front and and require an additional player up there, because Mata and Lingard and Rashford and Miki are too average to play in a front 3. Thus leaving Pogba with 2 in midfield.

Dante

Average bang
Sergei Milinkovic-Savic looks like a superb talent, but we could possibly end up getting something akin to the infamous Gerrard-Lampard partnership at England level. Having said that, didn't Mourinho try desperately hard to make that happen at Chelsea?
That was in a two man midfield.

Mourinho wanted Gerrard-Lampard to play ahead of a DM. He eventually got something similar when he bought Ballack. There's no reason why Matic/Pogba/Savic can't work. In fact, I think they'd be perfect foils for the players ahead of them and behind them.

Both would-be AMs like to drift wide and have a wicked cross on them, which would allow Sanchez/Martial to come inside (where they're happiest) and Shaw/Valencia to stick mostly to the middle third (which is where their passing can be of most use in dominating teams, as opposed to asking them to provide end product). I honestly can't think of a better match for the squad (possibly Koke, if he were available)

But then, But Savic's size adds another dimension. By having 3 technically brilliant but physically dominant midfielders, we make it really difficult to get overrun in midfield (a weakness of ours over many years). If opposition defences try to play a higher line to compensate, we have the best frontline in the world to take advantage of that. I can really see the formula Jose is going for. We're only a couple of pieces of the jigsaw away from being a proper team. Savic and maybe a playmaking right back (though I'm hopeful Lindelof can build on his recent performances there).

Jig1234

Might be unpopular to say but I think we need a DM and another CM. Matic was fantastic early in the season but the number of games has caught up with him. I don't think he can handle playing the number of games he currently is and you also have to take into account his age.

I can see Fellaini and maybe even herrera leaving in summer. I would invest in a CM to play on the right of a three man midfield, but also a new defensive midfielder. I would love to see Fosu-Mensah get a chance in that role. I think Jorginho would be a fantastic RCM.

Robbo*

Might be unpopular to say but I think we need a DM and another CM. Matic was fantastic early in the season but the number of games has caught up with him. I don't think he can handle playing the number of games he currently is and you also have to take into account his age.

I can see Fellaini and maybe even herrera leaving in summer. I would invest in a CM to play on the right of a three man midfield, but also a new defensive midfielder. I would love to see Fosu-Mensah get a chance in that role. I think Jorginho would be a fantastic RCM.
I think Fosu-Mensah and Pereira both deserve a chance as squad members - McTominay should go on loan, Carrick is likely to retire and Fellaini likely to leave so having TFM, Matic, Herrera, Pogba, Pereira and one or two new CMs would seem adequate - haven't seen much of Jorginho but agree that a good RCM is right idea.

Walters_19_MuFc

You don't always get 'freedom' from having a defensive type box to box midfielder, who can break up play.

Freedom can also come from having someone in your midifeld, who can dictate the pace of a game. If we have someone who will dominate the game, psychologically, you know you can roam a bit more and know that the team won't lose it often in our approach play, which is what we struggle with at the moment.

In Herrera and Fellaini (if we keep him), we've got two players who can come into the three and be a bit more defensive/give us more energy.

What we lack; however, is an number 8, who can dominate a game, ala Modric, Kroos, Thiago, Verratti, etc.

Personally, that's the kind of midfielder I think we should be purchasing, which would mean not relying on Pogba to both, dictate and create for us.

Jean Michael Seri of Nice, who every team, including us, seems to be linked with, fits that profile of player, and is/should be attainable.

According to whoscored.com, Seri's strengths are:

- Passing
- Key Passes
- Through Balls
- Taking Set Pieces
- Long Shots

Dubbed as the 'African Xavi', Seri could be the type of player we need in our midfield to dictate the tempo of games.

Last edited:

TheHeya

Dembele from Spurs has always impressed me with his strength and composure in midfield and could chop in with the odd goal as well.

Reactions: Invictus

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout

I'd agree with that. Would like a Busquets type and a Veratti type brought in.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Anyone else think this might be a question we're constantly asking whilst Pogba is playing for us?

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Bayern just announced Arturo Vidal is no longer needed with the arrival of Goretzka so there you go. Vidal + Pogba at Juventus was something else. Vidal allowed Pogba to do whatever he wanted on the pitch and covered for him very nicely.
Vidal supposedly has let himself go badly.

bucky

Rodrigo and Cyprien for me. Until Rodrigo has played a game for another team than Villareal, I'm going to believe we have a chance signing him. He's excellent.

2 players if Fellaini and Herrera both leave.

Devil may care

Correct. Has Rodrigo on his jersey.

This lad is more for the Matic role though I'd say, which we are going to need to look at as well, at the very least I think Matic needs someone who can rotate with him as it's clear he needs more rest and that Jose doesn't trust any of the current squad in the holding role.

I think what we are looking for as the player to free up Pogba is the one that fits between Matic and him, kind of in the Modric mold, a bit more dynamic but still with a strong passing game, when you look at Jose even trying Lingard there over using Herrera it seems he wants that role to not only cover Pogba's positional issues and help out Matic, but still have a forward threat as well.

bucky

6ft 3 too :drool:
Yes, he is Mourinho's type :lol:

This lad is more for the Matic role though I'd say, which we are going to need to look at as well, at the very least I think Matic needs someone who can rotate with him as it's clear he needs more rest and that Jose doesn't trust any of the current squad in the holding role.

I think what we are looking for as the player to free up Pogba is the one that fits between Matic and him, kind of in the Modric mold, a bit more dynamic but still with a strong passing game, when you look at Jose even trying Lingard there over using Herrera it seems he wants that role to not only cover Pogba's positional issues and help out Matic, but still have a forward threat as well.
Well, I'm hoping for both really, and I also think Rodrigo could be used a bit further forward or in between Matic and Pogba, as you put it.

Cyprien definitely fits that mould you are describing. Didn't have a chance to watch him today, but he looked decent against Monaco. Plenty of midfielders we could go for though.

Devil may care

Well, I'm hoping for both really, and I also think Rodrigo could be used a bit further forward or in between Matic and Pogba, as you put it.

Cyprien definitely fits that mould you are describing. Didn't have a chance to watch him today, but he looked decent against Monaco. Plenty of midfielders we could go for though.
I think we need both as well, I haven't seen a lot of Rodrigo but when I have he's seemed in the mold of Busquets or Weigl, best patrolling in front of the back 4 without the agility for the ground coverage required to play a bit higher up, like how Weigl struggled to do so when Bosz and Low tried him as more of a #8.

I was wondering what happened to Cyprien, I remember you were keen on him prior to his knee injury, and since then it's been Seri that has been getting the links from that Nice team, has Cyprien fully recovered?

bucky

I think we need both as well, I haven't seen a lot of Rodrigo but when I have he's seemed in the mold of Busquets or Weigl, best patrolling in front of the back 4 without the agility for the ground coverage required to play a bit higher up, like how Weigl struggled to do so when Bosz and Low tried him as more of a #8.

I was wondering what happened to Cyprien, I remember you were keen on him prior to his knee injury, and since then it's been Seri that has been getting the links from that Nice team, has Cyprien fully recovered?
It's a bit early to tell. It was just his second full game since his return. He's scored a free kick today and like I said he looked decent against Monaco the other day. Maybe I'm going to watch today's game later on.

The Busquets role definitely seems to be the best position for Rodrigo, but from what I've seen he didn't seem to lack agility.

Edit: Kondogbia could be an interesting siging as well.

Canagel

Easy. Thomas Lemar. The ideal partner for Pogba in a midfield 3 with Matic as DM.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Vidal supposedly has let himself go badly.
He’s got his shit together again and is actually playing quite well. Nonetheless, I expect him to leave in the summer, but obviously not this window.

James Peril

Dembele from Spurs has always impressed me with his strength and composure in midfield and could chop in with the odd goal as well.
Dembele has played five seasons for Spurs and has only scored 7 goals, hardly a goalscorer. He was very good, now he is slower and weaker due to age and injuries. Also, he is a twat and malcious type of player - never receives the red card he deserves to get.

TheHeya

Dembele has played five seasons for Spurs and has only scored 7 goals, hardly a goalscorer. He was very good, now he is slower and weaker due to age and injuries. Also, he is a twat and malcious type of player - never receives the red card he deserves to get.
You could argue Keane was the malicious type of player on his day and maybe that's something we need in our lineup.

Not saying we need someone who is going to dive in studs off of the ground every tackle but a bit of no nonsense hard man in Mf

Devil may care

It's a bit early to tell. It was just his second full game since his return. He's scored a free kick today and like I said he looked decent against Monaco the other day. Maybe I'm going to watch today's game later on.

The Busquets role definitely seems to be the best position for Rodrigo, but from what I've seen he didn't seem to lack agility.

Edit: Kondogbia could be an interesting siging as well.
Hopefully Cyprien makes a full return to his form like Fekir has, it was the same injury I believe.

Fair enough, and Konbdogbia has had a good season at Valencia, didn't him and Pogba play well together at youth level for France?

bucky

Hopefully Cyprien makes a full return to his form like Fekir has, it was the same injury I believe.

Fair enough, and Konbdogbia has had a good season at Valencia, didn't him and Pogba play well together at youth level for France?
They've both had ACL tears, yes. Not sure if there was more. If I'm not mistaken Fekir tore his PCL as well, which makes it a lot worse.

To be honest I don't remember whether Pogba and Kondogbia played together at youth level.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads

It’s a fair post, we signed him at age 29/30. He’s more a signing for right now more than anything. But I think it’s more of a system thing, he gets zero support, I feel a midfield 3 would do him a world of good so signing that third CM has to be the priority in the Summer. But we should definitely have our eyes open for a future replacement over the coming seasons.

Devil may care

They've both had ACL tears, yes. Not sure if there was more. If I'm not mistaken Fekir tore his PCL as well, which makes it a lot worse.

To be honest I don't remember whether Pogba and Kondogbia played together at youth level.
Ah right, I didn't realize that about Fekir, he's looking better than ever now so hopefully the same goes for Cyprien.

Speaking of that Lyon team, I've been quite impressed with Ndombele this season, he was immense tonight as well against PSG, he's still raw and needs to add a bit more in the final 3rd to be a top box to box CM, but the tools are there.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
We don't just need someone to free up pogba but also to take over the midfield playmaking mantle. I don't think Pogba is all that at this and struggles in tight games.