Film Which movies/series would you consider truly groundbreaking?

hungrywing

This never dawned on me. The spirit bomb is an...atomic bomb? :nervous:
Probably the one other tenuous 'explanation' would be the Asian trope of the 'wise master' who attains enlightenment and their hair turns all white. (Which we also sort of have in the West with stories of people's hair turning white after shocking/terrifying events.)

Zen

Birth of a Nation, Citizen Kane and Roger Rabbit.

SinNombre

I think many fall into this depending on the category.

Blade Runner / Ghost in the shell for cyberpunk scifi in all media’s.

Zen86

For TV, I think The Wire, The Sopranos, Breaking Bad and Game of Thrones have all been a huge influence on popularising the modern TV Series.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
AKIRA and Ghost in the Shell are both seminal works that have influenced western pop culture hugely. Don't think you can really differentiate between both those Anime's and Manga's influence.

Surprised Ghibli hasn't got a mention. Still to this day they're ,not only producing quality cinematic experiences, but are also doing it through a creative means that some people have classed as dated, which is frankly bs.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
AKIRA and Ghost in the Shell are both seminal works that have influenced western pop culture hugely. Don't think you can really differentiate between both those Anime's and Manga's influence.

Surprised Ghibli hasn't got a mention. Still to this day they're ,not only producing quality cinematic experiences, but are also doing it through a creative means that some people have classed as dated, which is frankly bs.
Those are two great choices. Akira like over a decade later was a hit with my friends when anime wasn’t even on our radar beforehand. And while it’s not a movie or show, Final Fantasy VII also had that effect to an extent I don’t recall another video game having.

In the horror genre, 28 Days Later is one that comes to mind as a heavy influence on the huge wave of zombie movies/shows/games that we’ve been deluged with the past couple decades. There’s always been zombie stuff, but that changed the style of the genre and revitalized it.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff

Came here with the first two (probably AKIRA a bit more that Ghost in the Shell due to the timeline) in mind alongside some others, it’s nice to see them being mentioned. It’s a bid hard to choose one from Ghibli (Spirited Away is probably the most well-known?), but yeah, Miyazaki did create something truly unique.

The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (1920) — arguably the first true horror film with stunning expressionistic visuals, Tim Burton probably watches it once a week. Nosferatu (1922) followed its footsteps 2 years later — as well as another supernatural masterpiece, Frankenstein (1931), that put up more challenging ethical questions

Battleship Potemkin (1925) — it’s hard to overstate it’s impact in terms of the editing & pacing of the movie when all we know is post-Potemkin cinema

Metropolis (1927) — very much a reference point to most dystopian movies including the above-mentioned AKIRA.

Psycho (1960) — truly a new way to look at murder

Dr. No (1962) — started off arguably the most successful film franchise ever if we count in its longevity?

I won’t do dates and prolonged comments from this point as I’m on my phone and I’ve got lazy.

The Simpsons (1989) — re-envisioned the whole idea of animated series

Not all of those are necessarily flawless masterpieces (although most of them are), but they all either created or reimagined a genre and worked as a reference point for decades to come

Seven Samurai, Alien, 2001: A Space Odyssey, Blade Runner, The Silence of The Lambs, Rambo, Terminator 2, Star Wars, Pulp Fiction, The Godfather, Jaws, Snow White & Seven Dwarfs, Citizen Kane, Bonny & Clyde, 12 Angry Men

Twin Peaks, The Wire, The Sopranos, Game of Thrones

Technological advancements (don’t quite me on that, I’m not that familiar with history of technology)
Toy Story — I think the first animated movie that was all made on a computer?
Avatar — however ridiculous it may sound I think the technology that they developed for this movie dominates today’s superhero. The movie itself is so forgettable though!

Lord of the Rings (more about the new idea of a movie franchise & massively expensive book adaptations, although the movies themselves are fine)

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
If you're talking Zombie movies then George Romero practically made the cinematic genre.

Gandalf

The first Evil Dead movie was groundbreaking at the time, almost everyone involved had no experience outside of Super 8 films and shorts made at college and the combination of a lack of experience and a miniscule budget forced them to be innovators in how they achieved the look and special effects on the film. Sam Raimi ended up making Spiderman movies and was still using techniques he invented in a cabin in the woods twenty years earlier and a lot of other filmmakers adopted them too.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Great book that. Easy Rider and Bonnie and Clyde definitely played a big part in laying the foundation for American cinema's 70's golden age.

And most of them were influenced by the likes of Hitchcock and the French New Wave, so those earlier works are even more influential in the great scheme of things.
Im fairly sure a friend who was studying film gave me that book. Super stuff. I had to watch all the movies mentioned in it :)

dinostar77

It is a quaint translation of an old verse I believe. That whole quote is actually from the physicist Robert Oppenheimer in reference to helping create the atomic bomb, though.
bhagavad gita, a very famous 700 verse scripture thats one of the oldest known text in existence. Though when it was written is debated somewhere between 1bc and 5,000 bc.

Interesting read, when read though the lens of 21st century, but thats for another day....

Sweet Square

It is a quaint translation of an old verse I believe. That whole quote is actually from the physicist Robert Oppenheimer in reference to helping create the atomic bomb, though.
My bad. I often get the Russo brothers and Mr. Oppenheimer mixed up(Easy mistake given the crimes of both)

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Film:
2001 - first proper scifi film
Star Wars - so many things
Toy Story - birth of animation
Matrix - all the weird camera tricks that are now commonplace
Twilight - how to successfully market a shit film

TV:
The Sopranos - first major hour long TV drama almost like a film
Band of Brothers - start of the mini series
Come again? Do you mean a certain type of animation?

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
The West Wing did an awful lot for TV and changed the perception of what can be achieved on the small screen, especially given it was on network TV and before HBO became what we know it to be now.

The Sopranos kind of took over from there, but TWW teed things off and was very much “groundbreaking”.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Avatar. Yes it recycles an age old theme but it was the first modern era blockbuster. So much of the tech developed and used just for that movie is now standard inventory.

Gazautd18

Big Brother.
Making stars out of talentless people.
Who would have thought that would work..

Norman Brownbutter

ask him about his bath time mishap
Night of the living dead. It gave birth to the modern zombie we all know and love.

Also its interesting for another reason. Released in 1968 before a proper ratings system was brought in, it was deemed fine for kids to watch because it didnt have any nudity. So night of the living dead premiered as a Saturday matinee. The majority of its first audiences being kids and teens dumped off at the cinema by unsuspecting parents. I can only imagine what those parents must have thought when they came back to pick up what would have been stunned and traumatised kids.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Alien, for many good reasons.

Can you give me 3 legitimate things that are bad about Avatar or is this just another jump onto the hipster bandwagon to bash this movie? I just see so many people on here throwing that name about but never giving any reasons why.

On a similar note, whilst the Transformers series gets a similar amount of vitriol aimed at it, some of it justified, even now I'm still blown away by the Transformer effects. Some of them are just so perfectly seamless even in slow motion. I remember that Citroen C4 ad coming out not long after and everyone was talking about it.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Transformers is a genuine headache because, not only outside of the stereotype one-dimensional characters and convoluted plot, I never truly get a visual grasp of wtf is going on when these CGI robots are beating the living sh*t out of eachother.

Roane

Are some of these movies groundbreaking in terms of what they did or a new method of doing something or dids they build on something where the "ground was truly broken"?

Give you an example, probably a bad one but only one I can think of to try and explain what I'm saying.

I forget the order of how it happened but if Michael Jackson in his thriller video turning into a werewolf is where the movie an American werewolf in London got the transformation from then is the movie ground breaking?

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
Can you give me 3 legitimate things that are bad about Avatar or is this just another jump onto the hipster bandwagon to bash this movie? I just see so many people on here throwing that name about but never giving any reasons why.

On a similar note, whilst the Transformers series gets a similar amount of vitriol aimed at it, some of it justified, even now I'm still blown away by the Transformer effects. Some of them are just so perfectly seamless even in slow motion. I remember that Citroen C4 ad coming out not long after and everyone was talking about it.
1. Normalized shit movies being blockbuster thanks to marketing/online media. Can you even remember the name of any of their characters? did you even feel any emotion watching this crap?
2. Normalized 3D being a big thing.
3. Normalized using computers to generate from the scenery to the characters. Basically killed real film-making and gave Disney (and other studios) the perfect weapon to make several shit movies per year.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
1. Normalized shit movies being blockbuster thanks to marketing/online media. Can you even remember the name of any of their characters? did you even feel any emotion watching this crap?
2. Normalized 3D being a big thing.
3. Normalized using computers to generate from the scenery to the characters. Basically killed real film-making and gave Disney (and other studios) the perfect weapon to make several shit movies per year.
Now I know you're trolling. :lol: It absolutely did none of those things. What a joke.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
There are so many. I mean if Star Wars counts than so many others would too. Jurassic Park for example was a cinematic landmark in terms of the believability of that sort of stuff.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Are some of these movies groundbreaking in terms of what they did or a new method of doing something or dids they build on something where the "ground was truly broken"?

Give you an example, probably a bad one but only one I can think of to try and explain what I'm saying.

I forget the order of how it happened but if Michael Jackson in his thriller video turning into a werewolf is where the movie an American werewolf in London got the transformation from then is the movie ground breaking?
American Werewolf was the groundbreaker. It came out a few years before Thriller and did away with the "cut scene/add more hair/cut back to werewolf" sequences. It was amazing at the time.