Which post Fergie Era would you be willing to go through again?

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
LVG because it was a breakthrough in global history. The first ever cure for insomnia.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Summary

Moyes: still loved the players

LVG: if only Di Maria had been what Robben was for NL in 2014

Mourinho: was fine until we signed Sanchez then it all went tits up

Bateman80

It'd have to be Jose's first two seasons for me.

2016/17 - Community Shield, League Cup and Europa League wins, plus a really bezerk 25-odd game unbeaten run that consisted of probably more draws than wins!

2017/18 - Finished runners up in the league and broke the 80 point barrier, which is the most successful we've been post-Fergie. Plus we reached the FA Cup final, which kept interest in our season alive whilst Petrodollar Pep and the Human Rights Abusers were depressingly steamrolling everything before them (bar us).

Last edited by a moderator:

momo83

Massive Snowflake
LVG. He had a playing style. He was flexible in that when he saw our team was crap an not able to play total football he adapted to a more defensive style. He was always unfairly criticised by Mr Man Utd Scholes and G Neville, who as the football experts that they are should have known that the football wasn’t boring because of his tactics but was boring because didn’t have the right players. He trusted youth and made a lot of academy players who today we longer hear about look better then they were.

Should have been given time and money to sign fullbacks. But he also didn’t help himself with “my captain shall always play “

Also, he was fun and his press conferences were great. Not depressing like Mourinho’s became

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Easily Jose's

We forget how good (in relative terms) his first season was, 2 trophies and Zlatan :drool:

I'm pretty sure with a time machine we could ensure things didn't go sour as well

momo83

Massive Snowflake
Just what we need, a serial loser.
One of the most highly respected coaches in Europe. Did amazing work with Leeds last year.

Only issue is he sometimes leaves very quickly, so in a way good as he won’t tolerate broken promises.

Probably the best person to build our team to being a regular top 3 team team. Then in 2-3 years find the most ideal person to take us an extra step forward

Scotty McT

I wouldn't want to relive any of those tenures, but LvG's reign had higher highs in terms of excitement despite probably being the most consistently boring out of all of them.

Hughie77

LVG, brought a very ideal of playing, bar the need to score goals? If he bought better I think we could have done better, I liked LVG, even just for his press conferences.

Dr. StrangeHate

LVG but with someone else signing the players. His philosophy would have eventually come good. His philosophy is more modern than all the others we have had and is the closest one to Pep.

fps

They have all been utterly unbearable.

RedDevil@84

Mourinho... easily.
Except the incessant moaning on caf seemed to multiply by many times, just because it was Jose and almost everyone hated (disliked if you prefer) him.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
LVG for the big games, Jose for the idea that we could bring better players in - although the way most of them panned out was disappointing.

If only Jose could have followed Fergie - that will always be my regret.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Jumped and wanted to write Cantona era. Then I read the question once again.

Will pass on this one, thanks.

markhughes

There is far worse to come this season, not that I am bashing Ole but I suspect we might be truly mid table this year. It will be worth it if we can offload a ton of deadwood and break in some youngsters. I've already wrote off the season and look forward to some fun cup games featuring the kids, that is as much as I can bare to hope for. Weirdly i am still looking forward to it more than any of the stints mentioned in the OG post.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
LVG because it was a breakthrough in global history. The first ever cure for insomnia.
I'm still mystified about 2015/16. It was literally 0-0's week in week out. Whenever you thought "surely not another 0-0 today?", there it was! :lol:

It was bizarre to me.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Highest periods:

1. Interim Ole. Felt like old times for a blissful few weeks.
2. Start of 17/18. Winning games for fun and felt like we had serious strength in all positions and Mouriniho was the man.
3. LVG end of 14/15. That six game period destroying City at OT and playing Pool off the park at Anfield - felt real optimism.

Lowest periods:

1. December 2015. 4 losses on the trot including a CL exit in an easy group and defeats at home to Norwich and away to Stoke, barely getting a shot on target.
2. End of last season. Absolutely fecking dogshit.
3. That period under Moyes we got absolutely spanked at home to Liverpool and City and were lingering way down the table

caid

Van Gaal. Christmas of his second season was pretty fecking grim and awful but by the end of the season we were starting to look decent again. I suppose the performances he got from Martial and Rashford were never going to last though. The team was developing in a reasonably sensible direction, there was plenty of missteps, particularly with signings but you could see what we were trying to do at least.
With Mourinho it always felt like there was no real future in the team or players. If they weren't winning today, then they didn't have a hope in hell of winning something in 2+ years time. The team we had in his first 6 months looked better than at any point in the future tbh. Valencia was still doing a job, he was getting crazy performances out of Bailly, Jones and Rojo. Zlatan up front and Mikhitariyan who, as bad as he was, has probably been the best right winger we've had in 5 or so years.
Matic we got a good 6 months from, while dropping our previous seasons PotY for most of it. Lukaku was a fair drop off from Ibra. Defenders swapped up a bit but performances basically gradually dropped over his time. Martial and Rashford are much the same players now as in Van Gaals last season.

GM K

Mourinho's first irst season.

There was a wave of optimism I had not seen and I have still not seen, post Fergie. Signing Pogba, Zlatan, Miki and Eric. It was incredible. Zlatan brought so much humour, drama and at times, world class football. The results in the league, especially those long strings of draws, gradually became depressing but we eventually won silverware and that brought some joy.

Green_Red

Moyes and the season of crosses and City aspirations...
LvG and the philosophy of drawing but never shooting...
Or Jose park the bus or throw the team under the bus...

Decisions, decisions

Amerifan

Summer 2018. Hire a DOF. Back Mourinho with proper defenders so he didn’t feel the need to keep so many men behind the ball. We’d be in pretty good shape this season.

Needham

That period between Sir Alex clearing his desk at the end of the 2012 - 13 season and 1st July when Moyes arrived.